• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT11| going

Blizzard

Banned
What are you guys talking about Zed being op lol. He's winrate is still pretty low compared to stuff like Lux lol. Lux is also much more problematic than Zed because her skill requirement in super low.
You can't fool me. That tier list didn't even have Lux until platinum and above! :p

subtles

I found this on SS for those wondering what the tier list [image] is based on:

S-Tier: Champions produce best results
A-Tier: Safe/reliable picks
B-Tier: Can exist if you are adept at playing them

I assume the list is for climbing while learning the game rather than specific champions, but I have no idea in all honesty.

Leezard

I found this on SS for those wondering what the tier list [image] is based on:

S-Tier: Champions produce best results
A-Tier: Safe/reliable picks
B-Tier: Can exist if you are adept at playing them

I assume the list is for climbing while learning the game rather than specific champions, but I have no idea in all honesty.

If that's the criteria for the tier list then I think it fails at fulfilling them. Surely high-winrate champions must be more important than they are in the tier list.

Just started playing Corki both ADC and mid. Anything special I should know or practice mechanically with him, and is Trinity Force-ER-IE still the way to build first 3 items?

garath

What problem do you have with her? I find that she's not too mechanically taxing compared to some other ADCs.

Maybe I just had a bad stretch with her but I had a lot of trouble in lane producing favorable trades, leading to getting harassed out and falling behind. And I always felt so weak midgame. My best games were starting BT instead of bork or hurricane when that was a thing. I must be mismanaging her stacks or something.

Was awhile ago though. Maybe I'll give her another shot. I hardly see her in silver/gold now.

subtles

If that's the criteria for the tier list then I think it fails at fulfilling them. Surely high-winrate champions must be more important than they are in the tier list.

Like, how are we defining results here? Because apparently it's not "wins."

"Going off public winrates to determine a champions worth is quite possibly one of the most appalling things that somehow exists." - his Twitter

Also, he clarified saying it's solely about climbing. I don't follow him so I have no idea about his reasoning/theory on the game.

garath

"Going off public winrates to determine a champions worth is quite possibly one of the most appalling things that somehow exists." - his Twitter

Also, he clarified saying it's solely about climbing. I don't follow him so I have no idea about his reasoning/theory on the game.

No one has ever properly explained to me what makes winrate such a poor metric for gauging solo queue effectiveness.

If globally having an udyr on your team in gold ranking produces a win 55% of the time, compared to say a ryze producing a win 45% of the time, I would gauge udyr to be a stronger solo queue pick than ryze. What about this is a wrong statement?

He is so filled with hyperbole without ever explaining himself it's remarkable.

pigeon

Banned

So, I mean, that's a dumb tweet but winrates aren't everything, that's true. But generally strong champs that have low winrates have one of the following:

* winrates that trend up hard with games played or ranking
* pick/ban presence in professional play
* pick/ban presence across all levels of ranked play

Like, otherwise aren't you just kind of making stuff up?

garath

You know, I'll concede that global winrate by itself is a poor metric to base judgement on. However, take a site like champion.gg which breaks it down into winrate by game time, winrate by champion experience and winrate by role and in that light, you actually have some hard data to work with.

Ekko jungle for example. Winrate around 50% globally but players with more games on him have the winrate climb significantly up to 56 or 57%. That's pretty telling. Ekko might even need a nerf when you look at it like that. I suspect that will come with the runic echoes movespeed nerf but that's besides the point.

Edit: Elise is the same way. Only 50% winrate average but the more experienced players have upwards of a 58% winrate.

zkylon

zkylewd
problem isn't that winrates is bad, it's that ppl use winrates in a very superficial way that leads to misunderstandings

winrate alone is nothing

winrate vs playrate vs elo helps a lot

and also competitive data

then u can say if something is op

but maybe something isn't op in itself but it's a meta thing or whatever, so it's always complicated

Winrate is a complicated stat to look by itself because of how many variables this game has as a team game. Then there's play rate and champion mastery to go along with it among other things.

That said, it's a valuable metric when combined with other stats. It might not be the end all of champion balance but it can definitely give you insight on certain trends, specially when it spikes hard.

subtles

I guess he considers players of some of the lower tiers unable to pilot the champions that are really strong, at least not without a significant investment into learning the champion. I think you guys are better off asking him those questions as I know next to nothing about the game. lol

garath

Isn't that to be expected? People are more likely to win games on champs they're experienced with.

Ah, you would think so. However let me introduce you to one of LS's S tier adcs - ashe.

She starts at a healthy 52% win rate, spikes around 15 games played at 54% then plummets to a 44% winrate for people with over 125 games played.

http://champion.gg/champion/Ashe/ADC

Why would this be? I suspect it is solely based on team comp. Thoughtful play with ashe will yield good results but playing her into any old team will result in some very poor performances.

Leezard

Some good discussion here, global winrate is indeed not everything.

Ah, you would think so. However let me introduce you to one of LS's S tier adcs - ashe.

She starts at a healthy 52% win rate, spikes around 25 games player at 54% then plummets to a 44% winrate for people with over 125 games played.

Why would this be? I suspect it is solely based on team comp. Thoughtful play with ashe will yield good results but playing her into any old team will result in some very poor performances.

Rather than just that, I would make a guess that it is because there exists few players with 125+ games played with Ashe and it might be noisy data.

Hard

Banned
GAF says renek is a bad champ

keksimus maximus

and i was going against garen, shen, voli, mf, gp

La20bB3.png

She starts at a healthy 52% win rate, spikes around 25 games player at 54% then plummets to a 44% winrate for people with over 125 games played.

Makes sense. Ashe's damage potential isn't that high compared to other ADC's, so even an Ashe played to her full potential will still be limited in how much damage she can get done in a skirmish or a team-fight.

garath

Some good discussion here, global winrate is indeed not everything.

Rather than just that, I would make a guess that it is because there exists few players with 125+ games played with Ashe.

I can buy that. After all it's a small subset of a small subset. Like 3% of a 9% pick rate or something like that. But it's a pretty linear decline. Even with a small sample size, there appears to be a correlation between playing too many ashe games and losing.

That jumps out to me as a champ to avoid spamming to climb elo even if I knew nothing else about her or her kit.

Knowing what I know about her, I'd say I agree with the data. You are going to have a bad time if you blind pick her every game.

subtles

was Akali gutted after Looper played her in Worlds, or was it simply because of her Solo Q presence? I seem to remember her being left alone despite complaints for a long time.

Hard

Banned
was Akali gutted after Looper played her in Worlds, or was it simply because of her Solo Q presence? I seem to remember her being left alone despite complaints for a long time.

She's like Katarina in that her kit is fundamentally flawed in the sense of being extremely binary. Just like Katarina, she can instantly dash to squishies and blow them up with little to no counterplay. Also just like Katarina, this makes her extremely hard to balance, in that she's either nearly useless, or rattling off multi-kills with ease. Instead of subjecting us to OP Kat, it's better to keep her garbage until Riot can figure out what to do with her, much like how Ryze is now.

Leezard

I can buy that. After all it's a small subset of a small subset. Like 3% of a 9% pick rate or something like that. But it's a pretty linear decline. Even with a small sample size, there appears to be a correlation between playing too many ashe games and losing.

That jumps out to me as a champ to avoid spamming to climb elo even if I knew nothing else about her or her kit.

Knowing what I know about her, I'd say I agree with the data. You are going to have a bad time if you blind pick her every game.

Fair enough. Blind picking Ashe is often a bad idea.

pigeon

Banned

That Ashe curve is actually really weird. There are quite a few champs that show a steady improvement in win rate with practice. There's also another characteristic curve that slopes up until 125 games then collapses over 125 games, and those suggest to me problems with counterpicks, etc. that make them a bad champion to force in every game.

Ashe is the only champ I can find that just keeps getting worse the more you play her. Past 15 games you are just screwing yourself. (Also, man, those graphs are actually heartbreaking in the way the dots are spaced. Terrible visualization.)

I don't think it's as simple as her being not ideal for most comps. It looks more like she is bad in general, but maybe good in one or two specific situations. So if you only pick her in those weird situations you do well, and otherwise you lose.

edit: Sivir looks to have a very similarly shaped curve, actually.

Blizzard

Banned
Has Mighty Jax always been so tiny? Someone picked him on my team and he was adorable. His sprite was almost the same size as Vayne's.

I started messing around with some league community videos because I never watched those.

Saw the OT video, the draven braum one, and the animated avatar the last airbender style promotion of worlds (really great), and that was all fun and good.

...Then I got to Ahri. I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about.

I started messing around with some league community videos because I never watched those.

Saw the OT video, the draven braum one, and the animated avatar the last airbender style promotion of worlds (really great), and that was all fun and good.

...Then I got to Ahri. I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about.

image.php

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Everyone's clicked on Japanese Ahri voice videos, it's okay.

Top Bottom