• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT11| going

zkylon

zkylewd
i think u were rushing essence reaver on top quinn which isn't very good specially when u were doing bad in lane

youmuus maw sterak (or bt instead of maw if against ad) is the go to build for adc toplaners?

WTF is my advice

all you ever say is "rip top"

I KNOW RIP

RIP IS NOT NEWS TO ME
what do you want me to say

"Well gee holy fuck Newt our top sure is getting his butthole turned inside out today, wow that guy sure is giving him a good fisting with that sword of his."

pigeon

Banned
i think u were rushing essence reaver on top quinn which isn't very good specially when u were doing bad in lane

youmuus maw sterak (or bt instead of maw if against ad) is the go to build for adc toplaners?

you are thinking of somebody else but thanks for confirming that all us toplaners look the same to you zky

<3

Fuzzery

you guys complaining about bronze really need to rethink how you play before you can think of climbing. first off, you all have routinely poor itemization. for farid, you have a zeke's herald when your adc already has 100% crit chance, making that item effectively worthless.
3ba83ada5bb29aae739c507835aae8c3.png

ryo doesn't buy enough resistances when behind. this extends to a lot of the people in gaf that are lower elo like flow, who routinely rushes morellonomicon on nami over vision and utility items. buying carry items doesn't mean you're going to carry as a support. the only support that is required to buy ap items is zyra, and even zyra only really invests into penetration. (haunting guise, liandry's torment) and survivability (rylai's crystal scepter, abyssal scepter) itemization is not set in stone, so stop playing like it is.

second off, you guys are too passive for your own goods. if you're too afraid to fuck up then you're too afraid to fuck the other guy up too and it's probably the most infuriating thing for any adc to see when they walk up to cs. if their support is beating the shit out of your adc while you're hanging back and just sustaining them, you're never going to win lane. this applies to every lane you play and is honestly probably going to be the main reason why you're having trouble climbing; you're all too afraid of being proactive and fucking up. instead of being afraid of fucking up, think about how fucked the other team will be if it goes well. eventually, your execution will match your thoughts and your team will be dazzled by your ability to shit on the other guy so hard they never play ranked ever again or something like that.
Who the hell replaced ghost with a reasonable advice bot

pigeon

Banned
what do you want me to say

"Well gee holy fuck Newt our top sure is getting his butthole turned inside out today, wow that guy sure is giving him a good fisting with that sword of his."

lol, sorry bout it

I am a lot lower ranked than you and Newt and zky so I appreciate the opportunity to play against stronger players, but I do tend to get owned in them. Thanks for the games though.

(also it was a cleaver)

Hard

Banned
Just play Renekton and voila you are now Diamond

Croc taught me how to be aggressive in lane, wave manipulation, how to play around cooldowns, when it's time to all-in, basic and advanced (weaving AAs in between abilities) combos, and how to push your advantages in your lane and other lanes

Leezard

Normals with you and your friend were some of the highest quality matches I've played, and I've been in D3. I don't know why but they were the very very demanding and with like 10 deaths total. My guess is that people in high diamond/master just get there and play like one ranked a week to keep the rank but go on with their tryharding in normals.

They were better than most ranked games, and recently I've played a few normals with an unranked friend and the tryharding has been realer than in ranked.

Yeah, we can get some good games in normals, but ranked is just more consistent in general. This is all assuming that it's in the higher ranks, of course.

Last season I barely played ranked as well, I just did a few games every month to keep my rank as you describe. We were mostly groups of 3 that wanted to play so it was just normals.

garath

There we go. Broke the streak. Had to dust off the unbanned Xin. Holy crap he's strong right now. Carried hard. Still getting +24 a win so the MMR can't be too bad.

Woah now I always build sightstone before morell there is only one match in 20 games that I built morell before sightstone/support item. My nami skill level is fine hence the 6 game win streak but I can agree I do need to buy more support items.

look at my last 4 games though and tell me where I fucked up. http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/30611464#matches

Don't get super defensive. Ghost's advice is pretty on point. It's a good idea to take a look at your games, especially the ones you lost, and ask yourself what you could have done better. This is true from bronze to challenger. It's going to be very difficult to get better without that hard look.

Not directed at you but I always shake my head when people blame these crazy losing streaks on their team. Sure it doesn't HELP when your team is struggling but I guarantee you every person blaming their team is doing at least a dozen things wrong on a regular basis that could potentially turn the tide. Maybe the team wouldn't lose as much as a jungler if you were applying better pressure or picked a better champ for the comp. Maybe the team wouldn't lose as much as mid lane if you would take your winning lane and roam to the other lanes. Maybe the team wouldn't lose as much as support if you were building more support oriented items or doing better roams yourself.

I'm not a support player but looking at your last few games, just a few things jump out at me:

Morg game - died way too much. Don't think a second frozen heart was necessary here. Maybe build a cruicible or a locket instead? Buy more pinks. Don't build morellonomicon. Build CDR boots for more bindings or go fast boots for better roams.

Thresh game - pretty good. But more pinks. Probably would have gotten go fast boots instead of mercs

Nami game - pinks. No morellonomicon

Nami game before that - pinks. No morellonomicon. Where's the sightstone?

Morale of the story, take advice! It can only help. :) I'm the first to admit when I go 1-6 that a good portion of that was me. Either I didn't carry hard enough or I could have done some things better in the game that might have influenced the game in a winning direction. Morale is a big element too and even one winning lane can keep your team in it.

edit: Look at the whole page of Nami builds here. The common theme is frost queen, CDR boots, sighstone and Crucible. More bubbles with cheap cdr, good support items with crucible and spooky ghosts.

http://www.probuilds.net/champions/details/Nami

faridmon

you guys complaining about bronze really need to rethink how you play before you can think of climbing. first off, you all have routinely poor itemization. for farid, you have a zeke's herald when your adc already has 100% crit chance, making that item effectively worthless.

ryo doesn't buy enough resistances when behind. this extends to a lot of the people in gaf that are lower elo like flow, who routinely rushes morellonomicon on nami over vision and utility items. buying carry items doesn't mean you're going to carry as a support. the only support that is required to buy ap items is zyra, and even zyra only really invests into penetration. (haunting guise, liandry's torment) and survivability (rylai's crystal scepter, abyssal scepter) itemization is not set in stone, so stop playing like it is.

second off, you guys are too passive for your own goods. if you're too afraid to fuck up then you're too afraid to fuck the other guy up too and it's probably the most infuriating thing for any adc to see when they walk up to cs. if their support is beating the shit out of your adc while you're hanging back and just sustaining them, you're never going to win lane. this applies to every lane you play and is honestly probably going to be the main reason why you're having trouble climbing; you're all too afraid of being proactive and fucking up. instead of being afraid of fucking up, think about how fucked the other team will be if it goes well. eventually, your execution will match your thoughts and your team will be dazzled by your ability to shit on the other guy so hard they never play ranked ever again or something like that.

As much as I can be stubborn at time, this entire first post hinges on the false pic of my usual games. I usually go for sighstone, zeke (after you guys reccomneded in the first place) and the rest is what you see. Pls don't cherry pick the one game I decided to sell of the sighstone for more ap.

But the your second paragraph is sound, and that helps alot.

garath

I think someone was messaging me on LoL and I closed it without looking. Sorry! I was looking at the other monitor and baby started wailing. Had to close it down quick. I caught a glimpse of a message window right as it was closing.

patchday

thanks, I would like to add Karma should get a little AP too right? I mean- its Karma.

I think I build my Karma like this:
Pink on 1st back and maybe some kicks (shoes)
Build sightstone and grab trinket to check bushes for enemy pinks (vision denial)
Build up frozen queen or whatever its called
Then go AP

I'll look into getting better resistances when playing jg/mid

mejais is not that bad as a mage support cos u don't really die too often and it's really easy to get assists with that and u actually scale kinda well off ap

At the same time, I don't agree with buying items that inherently force you to play defensively and somewhat selfishly as support. If anyone needs to "take one for the team", it should be the support. Buying Mejai's puts said support in a position where they're more willing (even if subconsciously) to let someone else on the team die to protect their stacks. I find that problematic. As support, if you can pull an enemy chasing one of your teammates away onto you...well it's sort of part of the job, no?

patchday

As much as I can be stubborn at time, this entire first post hinges on the false pic of my usual games. I usually go for sighstone, zeke (after you guys reccomneded in the first place) and the rest is what you see. Pls don't cherry pick the one game I decided to sell of the sighstone for more ap.

But the your second paragraph is sound, and that helps alot.

omg! but dont we need vision more than ever in late game?

I think I always keep my sightstone. I hate being blind.

If only my fucking teammates would at least grab a pink :(

I miss Silver.

zkylon

zkylewd
At the same time, I don't agree with buying items that inherently force you to play defensively and somewhat selfishly as support. If anyone needs to "take one for the team", it should be the support. Buying Mejai's puts said support in a position where they're more willing (even if subconsciously) to let someone else on the team die to protect their stacks. I find that problematic. As support, if you can pull an enemy chasing one of your teammates away onto you...well it's sort of part of the job, no?

some champions like janna and to some degree nami and support lulu are naturally into that type of play so it's not too bad

but yeah as a rule of thumb stay away from those items

if u want ap get zekes and banner ezpz

faridmon

omg! but dont we need vision more than ever in late game?

I think I always keep my sightstone. I hate being blind.

If only my fucking teammates would at least grab a pink :(

I miss Silver.

I was pressured in that specific game by team-mates who wanted more ap because we kept losing the majority of team fights.

Also I do buy fuck ton of pinks, hope people here would stop saying I don't.

patchday

^ na.op.gg shows how many pinks you purchased though.

Sometimes I only buy 1 cause in low elo they dont smash the pinks much. So 1 pink can last entire match.

But I usually buy at least 1 pink no matter my role. cause I hate the dark :)

some champions like janna and to some degree nami and support lulu are naturally into that type of play so it's not too bad

but yeah as a rule of thumb stay away from those items

if u want ap get zekes and banner ezpz

understood. Yea I can see it on Nami, Janna and Lulu since they're the least likely to die even if they tried. They'll simply never be priority targets in a fight. Plus the movespeed would be nice on them.

garath

Any more insight into why I suck?

This my dude: http://na.op.gg/summoner/userName=ryotian

I can take all criticism (I think lol)

edit- Make sure to click on the Ranked games. Norms- well u know, ppl dont give a care and so those wins dont count

Been awhile since I played Vi but I think you are rushing fist too early. I like the warriors, but then after that I'd either go ghostblade for more damage or Deadman's for some tankiness plus the go fast. Maw is incredible strong right now too.

I don't like triforce Vi. Too expensive. If anything I'd go cleaver for a solid mix of tanky and armor shred. Max W second.

That said, it's not always about the builds. Watching a game would probably help. Jungle is really really macro oriented. Picking best places to be at what times. Objective control, vision control. It's hard to articulate looking at the post game screens.

faridmon

Sometimes I only buy 1 cause in low elo they dont smash the pinks much. So 1 pink can last entire match.

hmm, its says I buy at most 2, but I do remember buying more.

Will have to buy more if that is the case.

Fracas

#fuckonami

edit- Make sure to click on the Ranked games. Norms- well u know, ppl dont give a care and so those wins dont count

Without watching your gameplay, first thing I'd recommend is farm more. Even in your wins, you aren't getting much CS at all. That's a big part of what helped me leave bronze. Shoot for something like 60-70 creeps every 10 minutes as a laner. Go in customs and get used to last hitting. Outfarming your lane opponent is huge. When you come back into lane with a fiendish codex, second dorans and boots while the other mid gets an amp tome and pots - that's huge and something you can easily do as you climb bronze.

Farming when you're the jungler is a bit different - you play a lot of Vi, and she's a big early game threat. If you're getting successful ganks off, then farm isn't a priority.

And I'd also look at your warding habits. Make sure you're keeping pinks on the map. Vision and CS are the way to climb low elo. (I say all that and I'm still a silver I scrub, lol. Just some basic things to think about.)

zkylon

zkylewd

see, there's a big problem for u for how u think things

having an uncontested pink for the whole game probably means it's not placed in the right area

you need to have pinks on your team's inventories most of the time cos u want to deny vision in the area you're fighting over and in the area that's critical right now

you need pinks to clear up baron and dragon areas, or the sides behind walls of turrets so you can poke from fog of war, you need to clear the inside of your base so u can waveclear safely and you need to clear deep wards so you don't get tp engage'd on

it's not placing one pink and being done with it, it's a constant struggle for vision

understood. Yea I can see it on Nami, Janna and Lulu since they're the least likely to die even if they tried. They'll simply never be priority targets in a fight. Plus the movespeed would be nice on them.
i mean, they're good targets to go for, but they're backline supports that you won't see kamikaze flash ulting like sona or annie

but it's situational like everything and it was most popular in an age where zeke's didn't exist/was crap i think

patchday

Been awhile since I played Vi but I think you are rushing fist too early. I like the warriors, but then after that I'd either go ghostblade for more damage or Deadman's for some tankiness plus the go fast. Maw is incredible strong right now too.

I don't like triforce Vi. Too expensive. If anything I'd go cleaver for a solid mix of tanky and armor shred. Max W second.

That said, it's not always about the builds. Watching a game would probably help. Jungle is really really macro oriented. Picking best places to be at what times. Objective control, vision control. It's hard to articulate looking at the post game screens.

hmm, its says I buy at most 2, but I do remember buying more.

Will have to buy more if that is the case.

Without watching your gameplay, first thing I'd recommend is farm more. Even in your wins, you aren't getting much CS at all. That's a big part of what helped me leave bronze. Shoot for something like 60-70 creeps every 10 minutes as a laner. Go in customs and get used to last hitting. Farming when you're the jungler is a bit different - you play a lot of Vi, and she's a big early game threat. If you're getting successful ganks off, then farm isn't huge.

And I'd also look at your warding habits. Make sure you're keeping pinks on the map. Vision and CS are the way to climb low elo. (I say all that and I'm still a silver I scrub, lol. Just some basic things to think about.)

yeah my CS is awful will do. Yeah I always grab a pink and ward either red or blue when I'm jg. I also need to offer blue to my mids more. I never do cause I forget

Thanks yall

patchday

see, there's a big problem for u for how u think things

having an uncontested pink for the whole game probably means it's not placed in the right area

you need to have pinks on your team's inventories most of the time cos u want to deny vision in the area you're fighting over and in the area that's critical right now

you need pinks to clear up baron and dragon areas, or the sides behind walls of turrets so you can poke from fog of war, you need to clear the inside of your base so u can waveclear safely and you need to clear deep wards so you don't get tp engage'd on

it's not placing one pink and being done with it, it's a constant struggle for vision

i mean, they're good targets to go for, but they're backline supports that you won't see kamikaze flash ulting like sona or annie

but it's situational like everything and it was most popular in an age where zeke's didn't exist/was crap i think

good advice. But even when I'm mid I'll place a ward right in the lane the jg travels in. It lives whole time I'm laning.

But for jg you're right on point. I dont ward baron or dragon these days. I should. thanks

Blizzard

Banned
The day I improved most as a player was the day I stopped being scared of fucking up
Just play Renekton and voila you are now Diamond

Croc taught me how to be aggressive in lane, wave manipulation, how to play around cooldowns, when it's time to all-in, basic and advanced (weaving AAs in between abilities) combos, and how to push your advantages in your lane and other lanes
What rank are you?

patchday

This is a shitty excuse but I loved the old vision items. I'd grab a stealth ward and place by dragon/baron. I guess now what I need to do is keep a pink or rush that jungler item that lets me place stealth wards. Tracker's knife! I hate that item cause it lacks enemy smite. But I can try that.

Vi is at 20% win rate. This sucks

pigeon

Banned

Your warding numbers are really low. Junglers cross the map a lot and so they bear a lot of responsibility for warding up in places that you need vision. Especially if you're going to keep yellow trinket you need to be warding a lot to support whatever action your team is trying to do. (The alternative is to swap to blue trinket for far vision. In my opinion red trinket is a more advanced tool because you need to know vaguely where the enemy is likely to ward for it to be generally useful.)

You are playing a lot of different champions and roles. This is really a disadvantage at low levels. There are too many overlapping areas of skill that you need to be learning to advance in League, so you are much better off focusing on a few. That means cutting down to a smaller number of champions and identifying your best two roles. Then just play those.

Your ranked win rate is pretty clear -- the only champions you have ANY wins on are support mages playing support. (OK and 1 Vi.) That is what you're good at right now. If that's what you want to do, just do it more. Play Karma, play Nami, play Janna. I would recommend taking mid secondary and playing Karma mid, just so that you're playing the same champion, and maybe some other supporty mids if you can. Lux or Morg.

If you want to learn other roles, that's fine, but you have to accept that you're going to lose a bunch of games doing that. I'd do it in normal until your win rate gets to a good rate before you try it in ranked.

You're building Hunter's Potion a lot. I'm not saying there aren't situations where it's a good pick but they are limited. Ahri, for example, is not a good Hunter's Potion pick. This isn't just an item choice thing, like, I definitely want to ask what your thought process is when you're building Hunter's Potion because I think there's something to dig into there about your item choices. Item builds are less useful than understanding how to think about item builds.

zkylon

zkylewd
good advice. But even when I'm mid I'll place a ward right in the lane the jg travels in. It lives whole time I'm laning.

But for jg you're right on point. I dont ward baron or dragon these days. I should. thanks
on everyone, mid and adc included, you should be routinely buying pink wards and replacing the one you have. you can get by laning phase with just the one on one of the side brushes (place it next to ur wall so they have to overextend to kill it) but later on you need more

my last 5 ranked games (all playing mid):
ori - 4 pinks
viktor - 8 pinks
lux - 3 pinks
syndra - 5 pinks
ahri - 4 pinks

these aren't super high numbers, it's not that difficult to contribute to your team's vision and it helps tremendously since it's the best way to force mistakes on the enemy team and reduce mistakes on your own

buy pinks!

patchday

on everyone, mid and adc included, you should be routinely buying pink wards and replacing the one you have. you can get by laning phase with just the one on one of the side brushes (place it next to ur wall so they have to overextend to kill it) but later on you need more

my last 5 ranked games (all playing mid):
ori - 4 pinks
viktor - 8 pinks
lux - 3 pinks
syndra - 5 pinks
ahri - 4 pinks

these aren't super high numbers, it's not that difficult to contribute to your team's vision and it helps tremendously since it's the best way to force mistakes on the enemy team and reduce mistakes on your own

buy pinks!

Your warding numbers are really low. Junglers cross the map a lot and so they bear a lot of responsibility for warding up in places that you need vision. Especially if you're going to keep yellow trinket you need to be warding a lot to support whatever action your team is trying to do. (The alternative is to swap to blue trinket for far vision. In my opinion red trinket is a more advanced tool because you need to know vaguely where the enemy is likely to ward for it to be generally useful.)

You are playing a lot of different champions and roles. This is really a disadvantage at low levels. There are too many overlapping areas of skill that you need to be learning to advance in League, so you are much better off focusing on a few. That means cutting down to a smaller number of champions and identifying your best two roles. Then just play those.

Your ranked win rate is pretty clear -- the only champions you have ANY wins on are support mages playing support. (OK and 1 Vi.) That is what you're good at right now. If that's what you want to do, just do it more. Play Karma, play Nami, play Janna. I would recommend taking mid secondary and playing Karma mid, just so that you're playing the same champion, and maybe some other supporty mids if you can. Lux or Morg.

If you want to learn other roles, that's fine, but you have to accept that you're going to lose a bunch of games doing that. I'd do it in normal until your win rate gets to a good rate before you try it in ranked.

You're building Hunter's Potion a lot. I'm not saying there aren't situations where it's a good pick but they are limited. Ahri, for example, is not a good Hunter's Potion pick. This isn't just an item choice thing, like, I definitely want to ask what your thought process is when you're building Hunter's Potion because I think there's something to dig into there about your item choices. Item builds are less useful than understanding how to think about item builds.

oh... You guys rock! Will apply. Thanks so much

Top Bottom