• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT11| going

fMRIa7j.png

Mid Morgana's house of pain is a fun place to visit.

Also helps having the right build. Hat tip to the folks online who told me to build RoA first.

drawkcaB

Finally, finally, had good game with Ekko. Starting to get a feel for playing a more assassin styled jungler. The only one I'd ever tried that comes close is Elise but her play pattern, particularly come teamfights, is pretty simple. Land cocoon->evaluate whether or not to go all in. Ekko doesn't really have an ability to kickstart his decision making process like Elise, particularly since lots of damage and utility are delayed. Last two games I actually felt like my positioning was alright. Got used to not blowing my big CC during ganks as well.

I'm always tempted to lead off a gank with the big CC: elise cocoon, Nautilus Hook, etc. but I always feel it's more effective to hold off on those abilities until the target makes its move and Ekko really isn't any different, I've finally found. I find that it's better to land the Q (either before or after closing in with E) before using W. The slow in his Q/passive makes getting the stun off so much easier that just guessing where the enemy will be.

Definitely my Xin replacement. His style is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. The only thing I miss is Xin's exceptionally tower destroying, but I'll live.

Man, forgot how lil help top gets.

And by help I mean JG PLZ! It's become this strange thing ... every time I play top my JG doesn't do shit. Sure, i thought it was because I'd fuck up early and die cause IDK these champs and I'm just testing em out but even when I'm doing my job and keeping the Teemo Top there I die purely because Teemo gets visits from his teams JG or Sup and only the Mid Kat tried to visit (resulting in her needing help because their JG go to her in the river and we both died cause their team caved in on us when I tried to help)

But all the other lanes were losing so I guess I see why that happened.

Blizzard

Banned
Man, forgot how lil help top gets.

And by help I mean JG PLZ! It's become this strange thing ... every time I play top my JG doesn't do shit. Sure, i thought it was because I'd fuck up early and die cause IDK these champs and I'm just testing em out but even when I'm doing my job and keeping the Teemo Top there I die purely because Teemo gets visits from his teams JG or Sup and only the Mid Kat tried to visit (resulting in her needing help because their JG go to her in the river and we both died cause their team caved in on us when I tried to help)

But all the other lanes were losing so I guess I see why that happened.
If other lanes are losing then yeah, top lane is typically supposed to hold its own I guess.

What champions do you normally play? Some matchups are bad for ganking. If you lack CC, a champ like Katarina might not be able to do much. If the enemy has lots of escapes or safety measures, like Teemo with speed boost and mushrooms, it may not be worth ganking.

If other lanes are losing then yeah, top lane is typically supposed to hold its own I guess.

What champions do you normally play? Some matchups are bad for ganking. If you lack CC, a champ like Katarina might not be able to do much. If the enemy has lots of escapes or safety measures, like Teemo with speed boost and mushrooms, it may not be worth ganking.

I was gonna play Jax but I know I don't know how to play him right now and Melee vs Teemo is not something I like dealing with as Diana (and she actually has ranged attacks and doesn't completely rely on purely AAs. Must suck hard to face him as a Melee) so I when I saw Teemo I picked Xerath.

I'm doing my job, poking him to hell, wave clearing so fast he can't leave without endangering his tower and annoying him so much he actually bitched at me in chat (a Teemo bitching at someone for being annoying but doing what their champ was made for ... that's a damn first for me). He legit couldn't roam for most of the game til his team rushed top ... I think that lefts a ton of his map pressure and makes his gimmick that much more useless yet all the other lanes failed on their own.

He was super low through out the levels 2-7 (couldn't kill him cause my skills have such a damn long CD and I have mana problems until I get a few items). Could have easily been ganked. But yeah, his JG and Tanky Sup take turns ganking for him. Some successful, some not. I only got that one half assed attempt from the Kat and she could have dealt with him if she actually came to my lane and not stopped just shy of it.

But yeah ... I don't like Xerath. He's too slow and immobile, I don't know what I have to do to get some form of good bursty DMG outta him and all his skills are skill shots. I ONLY play him when I'm not comfortable with going melee against a ranged champ cause I can stay safe and wave clear fast enough that they're stuck there. Did that same thing a few days ago ... wanted to play a melee top, saw Gnar and said "Nope ..". I went 0/0/0 in that game and didn't roam once and we won because all the other lanes did well and Gnar couldn't leave me alone ... anytime he tried to CS he would catch a Q to the face so he was always low (but again, I couldn't finish him).

I feel like I always get the "not my problem" teams. Like playing Mid ... anytime an enemy laner is doing remotely well they come take a visit in mid. It takes no time for my lane that's doing just fine to have both BOT enemies and the JG and MID pushing my tower. I look at my map and see everyone just chilling in their lane or in the jg ... like they're thinking "Phue, glad they're not messing with me so I can just farm :^)" and that really sucks cause the bot never pings missing and I feel like I'm failing cause I can't wave clear and hold off 3-4 champs all at once by myself. Feels so outta sight outta mind. The only visits I get are from the JG until it's become clear that they're about to take my tower as a group.

ONE down side to playing Mid as Diana(My current fav champ) is that I don't have "team fight" power unless I build for it and get fed fast enough to rush key items. And because I don't have an escape split pushing is just baaaad and results in my death. That's why I wanna try top laners like Jax and Xin as well as casters with good CC. As it stands my go to champs aren't the best at team fighting or split-pushing ... only been able to do that with ADC champs. (Trist for knocking down towers, Jinx for team fighting). Most all the time fairly early in the game everyone just mindlessly try to brute force mid with poorly planned team fights so if I'm gonna play with people like this I might as well pick up some champs that can work against this.

jerd

Diana into teemo woulda been a slaughter. Wouldn't even matter if you were behind or he zoned you pre 6 because you woulda just instagibbed from then on

Hard

Banned
Yeah Shen is pretty strong right now. I find him annoying to deal with. It's easy to land the E since Croc is melee, and his W directly counters mine.

Preferred old Shen, but he's in a better spot now tbh

Neol

When is it better to take thornmail over Frozen heart and vice versa?

Well Frozen Heart its usually better since the components and the item itself is way more cost efficient than thornmail. For pure tanks, the fact of having cooldown and more mana helps a lot through the early and midgame. If anything you usually see thornmail as a 4th-6th item since your planning to take it to the frontline and make the enemy ADC or anyone who is autoattack based to attack you in late game teamfights and hurt themselves in the process.

Tizoc

Well Frozen Heart its usually better since the components and the item itself is way more cost efficient than thornmail. For pure tanks, the fact of having cooldown and more mana helps a lot through the early and midgame. If anything you usually see thornmail as a 4th-6th item since your planning to take it to the frontline and make the enemy ADC or anyone who is autoattack based to attack you in late game teamfights and hurt themselves in the process.

Fair enough thanks.

Won a match recently where I was top Cho vs. Yorick, Yorick would've killed me like 3 times with my health being low but my mid and bot were destroying the opposition that I ended up being a tourist :p
But seriously fuck those ghouls an the inability to target them...

Hard

Banned
God Pantheon is so oppressive in lane, it's a battle of your health bar vs. his mana pool. Not much to do except play extremely scared and stall out the game until he hits the "Pantheon Point."

Still, watching him unload his full combo onto me (Ult, Q, W, AA, E, Q) and seeing it only chunk me down to 70% gave me the warm fuzzies.

nbraun80

Fair enough thanks.

Won a match recently where I was top Cho vs. Yorick, Yorick would've killed me like 3 times with my health being low but my mid and bot were destroying the opposition that I ended up being a tourist :p
But seriously fuck those ghouls an the inability to target them...

yeah basically you gotta decide do you want to slow their attacks or make them hurt themselves. Thornmail is especially good if you notice that they've built no lifesteal.

And yeah Yorick is one of the most annoying times you'll have in league, his rework can't come soon enough.

garath

Finally, finally, had good game with Ekko. Starting to get a feel for playing a more assassin styled jungler. The only one I'd ever tried that comes close is Elise but her play pattern, particularly come teamfights, is pretty simple. Land cocoon->evaluate whether or not to go all in. Ekko doesn't really have an ability to kickstart his decision making process like Elise, particularly since lots of damage and utility are delayed. Last two games I actually felt like my positioning was alright. Got used to not blowing my big CC during ganks as well.

I'm always tempted to lead off a gank with the big CC: elise cocoon, Nautilus Hook, etc. but I always feel it's more effective to hold off on those abilities until the target makes its move and Ekko really isn't any different, I've finally found. I find that it's better to land the Q (either before or after closing in with E) before using W. The slow in his Q/passive makes getting the stun off so much easier that just guessing where the enemy will be.

Definitely my Xin replacement. His style is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. The only thing I miss is Xin's exceptionally tower destroying, but I'll live.

I still like leading off with his W on a gank. You won't have time to active it otherwise. But it's useful beyond the stun. It is a slow even if you aren't there and people will blow all sorts of stuff to avoid it. It's his toughest ability to land but a game changer when you do.

Bacon

I only play mid rarely, but yesterday was one of those times where I had it as my secondary and got it. I had to play against a malz and boy howdy, he really feels like shit to play against. A lot of his spells really have no counter play whatsoever.

zkylon

zkylewd
I only play mid rarely, but yesterday was one of those times where I had it as my secondary and got it. I had to play against a malz and boy howdy, he really feels like shit to play against. A lot of his spells really have no counter play whatsoever.
just stay away from minions and farm

if u let yourself get pushed try not to go under turret cos that can be painful

but yeah gank his ass pre-6 for easy kills

Yeah with his low low mobility he is easy to gank pre six.

Also is it just me of does it feel like we need 4 bans on each team right now, there are so many stupidly strong champs right now.

nbraun80

yeah basically this, just pick a good ranged champ to farm with (lux, ziggs, ahri, viktor) and like he said just move away from the minion that has the vision on him.

Talents

Banned
Also is it just me of does it feel like we need 4 bans on each team right now, there are so many stupidly strong champs right now.

Yeah there definitely needs to be 4 or 5 bans seeing as how 3 bans were the norm when there were like half the current champs. Too many champs that need banning these days. Maybe make it 5 bans per team so everyone on a team can ban a certain champ. That'd be nice for solo queue. Although I don't think they should add it to competitive as it would make it way too easy to target ban a certain player.

We don't need more bans, we just need Riot to take action on balance faster.

I mean, I love Fiora and all but did she really need to skip a whole other cycle?

Talents

Banned
We don't need more bans, we just need Riot to take action on balance faster.

I mean, I love Fiora and all but did she really need to skip a whole other cycle?

Yeah but I find it incredibly unlikely that Riot will be able to balance champs fast enough in the near future. That's why I feel like more bans are needed. If they were able to balance champs faster, great! We wouldn't need any more bans. But until they manage to do so, I think more bans are in order.

Blizzard

Banned
I feel like 0 bans would be funny. Riot would be forced to balance -- make the players suffer until then! It's not like they're (mostly) going to stop playing.

I guess it is sort of a balance band-aid, but I feel like it actually hurts game logic and discussion since people just slap it on stuff as an excuse or taunt, e.g. "That's why you ban X". Well yes, many champions can be strong, but obviously if you could ban 15+ champs a game that would be a little time-consuming with all the dodges.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah but I find it incredibly unlikely that Riot will be able to balance champs fast enough in the near future. That's why I feel like more bans are needed. If they were able to balance champs faster, great! We wouldn't need any more bans. But until they manage to do so, I think more bans are in order.
more bans mean a lot of more complicated things:
- you need 16 champions for ranked, now you'll need 18 or 20 champions to be able to play ranked
- with 4 or 5 bans you can completely shut down the champion pool of one player
- some champions would never be played just cos ppl generally hate them (leblanc, yasuo)
- more bans still doesn't solve the issue of having bad balnace, maybe the s tier will be gone but there'll still be a difference between a and b tier and it doesn't fix issues with masteries or items since you can't ban those
- champ select will be even longer

Blizzard

Banned
Speaking of removing champions from the game, I laned against Yorick recently and he's still about as annoying as ever. I won the lane, I think I out-CS'd him, and I won the game, but it was STILL incredibly irritating.

The ghouls are so fast that they're hard to target, and they sometimes jump "behind" your champion (towards the top of the screen so your champion hides them). So, your only practical option is using A-move.

But, using A-move means you'll hit minions / wards / Yorick himself part of the time, if anything is near you. If you have crazy AOE clear then that helps, and that eventually solved it for me. But if Riot wants counterplay, what counterplay is there to those?

pigeon

Banned
As I understand it, the lack of meaningful counterplay is exactly why Yorick is getting a full rework. Your goal against Yorick is mostly just to keep it close, because Yorick's scaling is awful (Yorick's Q scales with 20% of AD, just for some context on how bad it is). Just don't get repeatedly murdered by ghouls and you'll be okay.

nbraun80

As I understand it, the lack of meaningful counterplay is exactly why Yorick is getting a full rework. Your goal against Yorick is mostly just to keep it close, because Yorick's scaling is awful (Yorick's Q scales with 20% of AD, just for some context on how bad it is). Just don't get repeatedly murdered by ghouls and you'll be okay.
yeah and I believe he's tankier with each ghoul he has out(something with his passive) so if you're gonna fight him do it was he's close to oom. Not even sure what a good pick into him is, maybe gnar could farm ok with his range or maybe vlad can try to outlast him in lane.

Diana into teemo woulda been a slaughter. Wouldn't even matter if you were behind or he zoned you pre 6 because you woulda just instagibbed from then on

I've played Diana into Teemo twice before and won lane both times, it's just already annoying enough laning with her pre 6 against most people who aren't melee because of the poke/ harass. Tossing that BS blind on top of that just makes it all the more annoying.

I really feel like maybe I shouldn't play Xerath. IDK what to do with him other than trying to keep my lane enemy locked outta the rest of the map and bored ... which in turn keeps me locked outta the rest of the map and game. Can't event push towers fast with him when they back.

But if someone wants to Teemo then I'll take that for the team. Just gonna have to tell my team what's up cause being afraid to gank a prema 30% health Teemo makes no sense.

Top Bottom