• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT11| going

jerd

Only 99 deaths. I see extended death timers have severely reduced bronze death counts

Edit: Oh wait of course there was an execution

nbraun80

There's so many options for armor.

I heard that you should just go for increasing Health cause she apparently has good natural Armor/ MR (I know that's her passive and Ult but I don't know any numbers).

Is getting one of the frost items good on her? I figured AS would be a good thing so I built a NT-Rageblade in a custom pratice game ... not sure if I wanna try that in an actual game with people though.
Never built an even remotely tanky champ before so IDK what's good armor or what for which champs.
eh she has a decent lvl 1 armor amount, but her lvl 18 armor is middle of the pack and I would definitely not build Nashor's Tooth on her. Either way, whatever tank champion you choose to use top your choice of armor vs MR first is usually up to your lane matchup. If you're against AP like teemo or rumble, go for a spectre's cowl first. if it's someone like darius or quinn go for a chain vest or warden's mail. Then either finish the amor or MR item you're working towards, or if you feel you can hold your own in lane go towards your 1 offensive item.

Also I would suggestion to not play shyv top, I think she's almost always played jungle nowadays, I mean you can, but there's far better and easier tanky tops to learn. I would suggest starting with someone like Garen, very easier kit, can be fun with his ult, and gets pretty tanky. A final build on him would look something like: Blackcleaver, dead man's plate, swiftness boots, spirit visage, warmog's, and one more tanky item usually depending on what champion is fed/doing the most damage to you.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I haven't followed much of Yi's recent development but why is everyone so against him now in a jungle position? I've even seen some band recently which strikes me as odd.

jerd

Bruiser build. New items, namely Maw and steraks, are really good on him. He's actually pretty strong right now. He's generally super easy to play so any small boost in power for him is gonna be magnified a bit. I had a yi on my team the other day that was legitimately 1v5ing because the other team somehow built a comp with 0 hard cc

I shouldn't say strong necessarily because win conditions vs him are same as ever. Have enough hard cc to pop him or stomp his lanes early. He just doesn't instadie late now and still pumps out damage

Feebastic

I haven't followed much of Yi's recent development but why is everyone so against him now in a jungle position? I've even seen some band recently which strikes me as odd.

I don't know how good/ bad he is right now from a gameplay standpoint, but unless Master Yi happens to be super OP people don't like seeing him because he's got a very selfish playstyle. If you have a Yi jungle more likely than not they're going to powerfarm through early game and gank quite infrequently, which is obviously frustrating for everyone else. Combine that with the fairly typical 'I must carry' attitude that goes hand in hand with picking a champ like Yi, Yasuo etc, and he's got a lot of negative stereotypes going against him.

Unrelated, is Kha'Zix mid at all acceptable these days? Panic picked him against LeBlanc when Zed was banned and I couldn't decide what to play, and it turned out pretty well for me - 6/2/2 at 20 minutes, but my team did very poorly and surrendered ASAP. Rushed a Maw against LeBlanc and went for Youmuu afterwards and I felt pretty damn strong.

garath

Played my first normal in awhile last night. Was hoping to try out gragas jungle or practice kalista but as fate would have it, I got jungle role but someone first picked gragas. So I decided to see if I still remembered how to play Elise. Apparently I do. Crushed it. It's been awhile since I played her. I like the new runic echoes on her more than I thought I would. That plus swifties and rylais meant I was sticking to anyone and everyone. As well as providing a ton of escape.

Will have to bring her back into ranked. Between her and ekko I have a good AP jungle set.

jerd

Yeah AP junglers are all the rage right now but I'm not really a fan of any AD junglers right now since I apparently was only killing it with kindred because i was at a lower elo so when comps are ap heavy i kinda just try to improvise. Echos plus swifties just feels too good

Maw and Sterak's are my goddamn bane right now, I straight up don't know what I want to play considering those items are so annoying to deal with using the champions I enjoy.

Makes me feel like I hit a wall and can't improve because outside of top lane I'm too stubborn to just pick the top tier meta shit and too trash to be a one trick pony.

garath

Yeah AP junglers are all the rage right now but I'm not really a fan of any AD junglers right now since I apparently was only killing it with kindred because i was at a lower elo so when comps are ap heavy i kinda just try to improvise. Echos plus swifties just feels too good

Yeah. Not as many super strong AD junglers right now. I like pantheon and khazix but khazix especially isn't exactly a perfect fit for most teamcomps. It's very easy to do well on him but still lose the game. Assassin is limited in teamfights. Xin is probably the best AD jungler right now. Yi can be good against the right team.

jerd

That's true the strongest ad junglers right now I didn't even remember and don't even consider options because they're boring af.

I would probably like graves but I've never played him

Leezard

Lee is always viable, but save for the occasional Graves the AP junglers are indeed the top picks right now.

I'm happy people stopped picking rengar.

You know sometimes how you joke vote to surrender?

This is what happens when you fail it after having crushed 2 out of 3 lanes the entire game.

Morg and I kicked ass. Rest of the team ... not so much.

No trackers knife, no sightstone, and Morg didn't even end the game with a trinket. What is this.

Edit: I just saw that Cait had TP too. What is going on in this game.

No trackers knife, no sightstone, and Morg didn't even end the game with a trinket. What is this.

Edit: I just saw that Cait had TP too. What is going on in this game.

It was the weirdest game I have played. Basically, top mid and jungle got shit on so bad in the first 10 minutes that Graves and Shaco were level 8, both top towers and mid outer were gone, and Morg and I were cleaning up bottom lane so well we switched to roaming to help the other lanes.

We spent 30 minutes fighting back pushes, Shaco killed me 3 times (once on a 4 man dive into bot lane that didn't even get the bottom outer turret) and Caitlyn built Runaan's for some reason.

Bronze 4 is a very weird place.

zkylon

zkylewd
Maw and Sterak's are my goddamn bane right now, I straight up don't know what I want to play considering those items are so annoying to deal with using the champions I enjoy.

Makes me feel like I hit a wall and can't improve because outside of top lane I'm too stubborn to just pick the top tier meta shit and too trash to be a one trick pony.
you gonna start playing quinn, she's fun

zkylon

zkylewd
yeah, sadly tho deservedly her days are numbered

and she'll probably take a double nerf when maw and sterak get nerfed to oblivion as they deserve

Talents

Banned
Does anyone know what role is more popular and picked more often in the new queue on EUW? ADC or Top?

Yeah fuck queuing for Mid/Bot. Literally makes it so you never get mid. Been through 7 queues today and haven't got mid a single time.

Ayyy, finally got a mid game. 8th queues a charm.

Holy fuck, literally have been through 7 queues in the last half hour and every one of them has been dodged, wtf.

Hard

Banned
Scorched Earth! Nice! I'm down to pick that one up today, finally.

Only Galactic, Bloodfury, and Prehistoric left.

>buying champs with RP

jerd

yeah, sadly tho deservedly her days are numbered

and she'll probably take a double nerf when maw and sterak get nerfed to oblivion as they deserve

Kinda makes me wonder if riot has trouble differentiating between problem items and problem champs. Kinda like when they nerfed every cinderhulk user before nerfing cinderhulk

pigeon

Banned
Kinda makes me wonder if riot has trouble differentiating between problem items and problem champs. Kinda like when they nerfed every cinderhulk user before nerfing cinderhulk

It is probably pretty hard! Like, a dumb model is that an OP item buffs every champ by (amount item is OP * likelihood that the champ will build that item), with the second factor tending to increase over time as people adjust their build paths. So the first indicator that an item is too good is that like half a dozen champions who build that item first start doing better, of which like one was already strong and now looks too good. It looks a lot like a problem with that one champion. It takes time for that item power to disseminate and warp the rest of the game.

Think of it this way, Runic Echoes went into the game January 14th. It's February 22nd now and we're just starting to see Gragas and Udyr show up in pro play. (And Gragas needed a second buff.) That's a long lag time between item implementation and LCS results!

Hard

Banned
They probably lean more towards nerfing champs over items, becuase making changes to an item could have unintended effects on an entire class of champs who use that item frequently.

The problem is when balance is the way it is now that kind of thing gets blurred. Maw/Sterak's aren't what's keeping Quinn so strong, they just exacerbate the issue.

The problem is when balance is the way it is now that kind of thing gets blurred. Maw/Sterak's aren't what's keeping Quinn so strong, they just exacerbate the issue.

Well, those two items are what keeping the adcs going strong now and probably killed off assassins, even with the Drakthar item (which is shit, I might add).

Now everyone can be tanky.

Hard

Banned
I mean how else are AD's supposed to itemize against Assassins? I agree that Maw is too strong right now, but their prominence really points more to the other anti-death items being garbage. Zhonya's is expensive, plus the build path sucks. DMP & Banshee's are OK. No way we're getting an AD/Armor item. Maybe Abyssal?

zkylon

zkylewd
it's probably pretty hard since it's not always clear-cut and riot's patch cycles aren't really aligned with the meta so issues may pop up after a patch's been cleared for release and by then things can't be really turned back

and it's generally just easier to nerf the champion that's abusing from an item than the item itself and it's more often than not a problem with that (right now udyr and nidalee with runic echoes or whatever). but they were pretty smart about fqc and nerfed that AND buffed athenes and morellos, so it's not like they're completely clueless

they're just bad at communication (and honestly if they're gonna be bad at that they should talk less, there's nothing more scary than hearing riot sound super out of touch with their game sometimes) and they're often too slow or too quick with their nerfs/buffs. the latter part is i guess understandable

I mean how else are AD's supposed to itemize against Assassins? I agree that Maw is too strong right now, but their prominence really points more to the other anti-death items being garbage. Zhonya's is expensive, plus the build path sucks. DMP & Banshee's are OK. No way we're getting an AD/Armor item. Maybe Abyssal?
you're not supposed to be able to build something against assassins, you're the target, you should be bodyguarded and you should position properly. adcs are supposed to be fucked if an assassin walks into them, that's kind of how the game works.

and it's different for midlaners since midlaners are 1v1ing against assassins and it wouldn't make sense if mages don't have the itemization to duel (which is what happens right now with zhonyas being stupid)

also wtf are you talking about why would you build abyssal or zhonyas on an adc -__-

When a tresh and a Nautilus protects me as ADC in a TF is the best feeling in the world. Like we made a comeback after our Cho fed mid nonstop

you're not supposed to be able to build something against assassins, you're the target, you should be bodyguarded and you should position properly. adcs are supposed to be fucked if an assassin walks into them, that's kind of how the game works.

Solo Queue man. You can't trust anyone but yourself.

Besides, I think those items are fine, if a bit overtuned. I do think that adcs should build these items against assassins, but at the cost of lower damage input and lack of armour pen.

I think Maw shouldn't have the armour pen. It should have something else because it seems to double up effectively as an effective defensive and offensive item with an insane passive. Lowering the damage and changing the armour pen to something else would solve the problem.

garath

Steraks probably needs a love tap. Maw too. As much as I like maw, it was buffed a bit too much.

Balance is really tough. It takes awhile for people to actually experiment and find the strong stuff. I'm guilty of it too but often people just copy what the top players are doing and don't put any thought into what they are building. Its usually better to nerf an outlier than reduce a whole set of things but what is originally viewed as an outlier could just be the tip of a bigger problem. Like the resurgence of AP junglers with the runic echoes and the stacking of movespeed. Do you need udyr because he is an outlier or will that just uncover half a dozen other champs suddenly stronger with that particular combo.

I'd imagine that's the rageblade dilemma too.

Maw needs to be Hydrafied if you want to keep all these stats. Crank that combine cost up and remove the passive shield from Hexdrinker.

Either that or gut the shield duration/change how it works so it's only effective against instant burst.

pigeon

Banned
they're just bad at communication (and honestly if they're gonna be bad at that they should talk less, there's nothing more scary than hearing riot sound super out of touch with their game sometimes) and they're often too slow or too quick with their nerfs/buffs. the latter part is i guess understandable

Well, a big part of this is that Riot has a super open community management/dev communication setup. This is inevitably going to make them seem fragmented and confused because some people will actually be out of touch or confused. I am actually impressed at how well it's gone so far because in my experience there are a lot of people who you'd really prefer not talk too much to the players.

and it's different for midlaners since midlaners are 1v1ing against assassins and it wouldn't make sense if mages don't have the itemization to duel (which is what happens right now with zhonyas being stupid)

also wtf are you talking about why would you build abyssal or zhonyas on an adc -__-

This seems like difficult? Like, if you're against Talon as Lucian or whatever, how do you avoid getting murdered? Talon's ability to gapclose on you seems very strong even if you are standing between Braum and Syndra or whatever.

It makes sense to me that ADCs should have SOMETHING to build to make it harder for them to get popped. It seems more like the problem is Sterak's and Maw are just a little too good at solving that issue and still augmenting their damage.

The sad part about Sterak's is that it's probably better for ADCs than juggernauts, so maybe that just needs some reworking.

Newt

Yeah, ADCs shouldn't really gain the ability to duel assasins so effectively through only items. It should be a more pick based thing. I'm really looking forward to the Urgot buffs.

Top Bottom