• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT11| going

Played with some really talented but utterly dumb guys tonight. Went 2-1, and the loss was because I handed off my main role to one guy so he could duo with a friend.

Well, his lane got shit on. He died 10 times in 28 minutes before a FF. I almost outfarmed his ass in mid with Lux. And he was crying the entire time. Ugh.

So lesson learned: if I get ADC in ranked, I'm keeping it. I don't trust anyone else not to mess it up (because they always do).

kenbo

i like these stories

just add pictures and music to them

and maybe a cool event thingie

hopefully some of that is on the last two thingies

idk, i think they made a good job of not giving her like a strictly warrior role in her story

she's like leading the charge and like using solari magic and blocking shit with her shield more than swinging her sword, i think it's pretty decent

like compared to diana who's like legit casting w and chopping up solari elders with her passive lol
O it's gonna happen

zkylon

zkylewd
Do you hate him more than Rengar?

i think they're both pretty bad but yeah, rengar is worse

i don't feel either champion ever feels fair or fun to play against

like lee sin or elise at least have dodgeable skillshots that make up for a lot of their threat potential. they have their own issues but i like them better than kha or rengar

tho as a midlaner i hate all junglers so...

killatopak

Gold Member
Mid ire is pretty fun. I can kill squishies pretty easily and they don't expect the damage.

In top lane tho... I got rekt by a motherfucking Alistar... TWICE!

Hard

Banned
Lookit

Interesting response from Riot Lyte about primary and secondary roles, and responding to people's questioning whey doesn't the new matchmaking allow people to only select one role, in exchange for longer queue times.

https://gyazo.com/91a36648236c4ed0258090e79b6f42b3

Riot Lyte said:
Our current plans are not to allow a player to queue for only 1 position. A lot of players have suggested this idea and said they would prefer to wait a bit longer if it guarantees their 1 position; however, this design change would actually greatly affect the overall matchmaking system. Let's take 2 extremes for example. Let's say every single player chooses "Fill." In this scenario, matchmaking is fully optimized, and matches will start instantly assuming there are enough players in the pool to start a game, and they are close in MMR.

In the second scenario, let's say everyone chooses 1-Position. In this situation, queue times dramatically increase for everyone, and some players actually won't be able to find matches because our position balance isn't perfect. Right now, last we checked Support and ADC (surprise?) were highest in demand, and Mid was the lowest in demand.

But, let's say only about 10-20% of players choose 1 Position. This actually has a weird cascading effect. Those players will have higher queue times and wait longer in queue; however, the longer they wait in queue, the wider their MMR boundaries grow (which determines what teams they can join and match against), and they will typically end up on teams that are quite varied in skill. So, what happens is that a small design change could actually decrease the overall match quality of the entire system for all the other players and now everyone is affected by the change instead of just the players who wanted to wait a bit longer in queue to guarantee their position."

Interesting, especially the part about the roles that were in demand. I never expected ADC to me more in demand than the other roles. Looks like the preferred order is now Mid > Top(?) > Jungle(?) > ADC > Support. Never really thought Top was that popular, hmm. Also the 2 role select doesn't seem to be going anywhere soon, sorry mid mains.

Why not? ADC is one of the most frustrating roles to play in solo Q, specially in the current state of the game. No one wants to do that shit.

Damn I've been part of some shitty games lately. Back to 0lp D:

+1. There's a few games where I definitely could have played better, but on the whole, they've been complete clown fiestas with bronze level movements and flaming for reasons unknown.

Duskblade is such a cuntish addition to the game too.

Edwardo

+1. There's a few games where I definitely could have played better, but on the whole, they've been complete clown fiestas with bronze level movements and flaming for reasons unknown.

Duskblade is such a cuntish addition to the game too.

Ya pretty much the same here. I'm not playing amazing, but games have really just been a shitshow.

Hard

Banned
IBG Ezreal is so FUCKING STUPID, how is an ADC allowed to be this unkillable and uncatchable. Fucking ridiculous. Gut this champ.

They should add an hp requirement to Steraphs like they do Warmogs. Having zed and adcs build that or building that and maw is so annoying.

I like adc when i can talk to my support, but in solo Q it is hard to communicate.
Like having voice chat would be super useful for that.

Would work in NA. It won't work as well on EUW and EUNE for obvious reason (language barrier). It's why I don't see the point of the feature because I know I ain't going to get use out of it unless I'm on NA servers.

Lux E skill is so annoying and hard to dodge, like the cast is instant and can be detonated from distance

Why not? ADC is one of the most frustrating roles to play in solo Q, specially in the current state of the game. No one wants to do that shit.

More if the supports have the mentality to go full AP without building anything and starts to roam right at the beginning

Blizzard

Banned
Lookit

Interesting response from Riot Lyte about primary and secondary roles, and responding to people's questioning whey doesn't the new matchmaking allow people to only select one role, in exchange for longer queue times.

Interesting, especially the part about the roles that were in demand. I never expected ADC to me more in demand than the other roles. Looks like the preferred order is now Mid > Top(?) > Jungle(?) > ADC > Support. Never really thought Top was that popular, hmm. Also the 2 role select doesn't seem to be going anywhere soon, sorry mid mains.
That seems to fall apart if they disabled the MMR spread option and just let people have very long queue times.

Unless their suggestion is that it creates a bad situation for 2-role players because there aren't enough of them?

That seems to fall apart if they disabled the MMR spread option and just let people have very long queue times.

Unless their suggestion is that it creates a bad situation for 2-role players because there aren't enough of them?
If they disabled MMR spread then people picking one popular role would likely have to wait hours to get a match.

zkylon

zkylewd
Lookit

his answer is dumb cos he's only talking extremes while failing to acknowledge the real shortcomings of the system

i always said the 2 role system is perfectly ok, the tuning's what's a mess

i dont mind playing support, i don't even mind playing support as often as i play mid

the problem is that i get support 5 times more often than mid when mid is my primary, it's a joke

so when lyte doesn't even acknowledge this problem exists it makes for a waste of time answer when he's theorizing about a situation that's 100% not what i'm asking for

pigeon

Banned
his answer is dumb cos he's only talking extremes while failing to acknowledge the real shortcomings of the system

i dont mind playing support, i don't even mind playing support as often as i play mid

the problem is that i get support 5 times more often than mid

so when lyte doesn't even acknowledge this problem exists it makes for a waste of time answer when he's theorizing about a situation that's 100% not what i'm asking for

Well, Lyte's response here isn't to your concern, it's to the large numbers of people in this thread and Reddit that say "just let me queue for one role."

He doesn't mention the game design reason why they'll never do that, but he does make clear that it won't happen.

I still agree with you that I wish Riot would give us a little bit of a better view into how the primary and secondary role system works right now and how they intend it to work. As far as I can tell right now, it's really just "pick two roles," which is not the same thing as primary and secondary.

Blizzard

Banned
If they disabled MMR spread then people picking one popular role would likely have to wait hours to get a match.
This depends on the percentage of people who pick the roles. I suspect it wouldn't be that long. Of course it's kind of impossible to know without testing I guess.

the problem is that i get support 5 times more often than mid when mid is my primary, it's a joke

But he's addressing extremes in that answer, what does it have to do with people wanting to play their primary more?

Besides Riot already said they were gonna work on making the system prioritize your primary more.
This depends on the percentage of people who pick the roles. I suspect it wouldn't be that long. Of course it's kind of impossible to know without testing I guess.
We already had testing with people picking one role, it was called "Team Builder". As much as I loved it I don't want that kind of lopsided matchmaking anywhere near my ranked games.

zkylon

zkylewd
But he's addressing extremes in that answer, what does it have to do with people wanting to play their primary more?

Besides Riot already said they were gonna work on making the system prioritize your primary more.
riot kinda loves to answer extremes instead of more nuanced questions

it's easier to tell the guy that's saying "i want to wait forever until i get my pick!!!!" than to address the issue of what the current issues are, why the tuning launched so off, which changes can be done, why primary doesn't mean anything in the current system, etc.

zkylon

zkylewd
senpaiiiiiiii_by_lengyou-d9on9d1.jpg

senpaiiiiiiii_part_2__by_lengyou-d9t9b3x.jpg

all of this is awesome

nbraun80

IBG Ezreal is so FUCKING STUPID, how is an ADC allowed to be this unkillable and uncatchable. Fucking ridiculous. Gut this champ.
you really just have to have 1 or 2 champs that can dive him hard or good CC like Vi, zed, talon, LB, Ahri, malph, fizz, olaf. etc.
What lol

What's anti fun about voli all he does is run at you
ha yeah, look at the guy annoyed with Ez above, he was probably playing volibear, almost impossible to do anything as voli with an ez or if someone has a rylai's on the other team.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
What lol

Hidden power of his passive is just super annoying to play around. Just not a lot to play around either. You can ward out properly but Volibear can just ghost gank lanes reliably. The most uninteresting tank in the game for me both to play as and to play against.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
What lol

everything? super tank with attack speed boost + execute

murders everything without a single damage item

passive that fucks over any attempt at killing him and lets him do stupid dives

speed boost + cc

drawkcaB

You sound like you thought Lyte would say something otherwise. Now who's fault is that really, zkylon?

jerd

Hidden power of his passive is just super annoying to play around. Just not a lot to play around either. You can ward out properly but Volibear can just ghost gank lanes reliably. The most uninteresting tank in the game for me both to play as and to play against.

No way he's less interesting than udyr or more frustrating than Mundo. He also falls off late game in ways that they just don't

everything? super tank with attack speed boost + execute

murders everything without a single damage item

passive that fucks over any attempt at killing him and lets him do stupid dives

speed boost + cc

His cc is garbage though. He's just a bruiser/juggernaut. To say that he's the most unfun champ in the game is kinda absurd when we have mega tanks like malphite that are 10x more useful than voli throughout the game or tanky hyper carries like fiora. There are so many champs with worse design than voli.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
No way he's less interesting than udyr or more frustrating than Mundo. He also falls off late game in ways that they just don't

His cc is garbage though. He's just a bruiser/juggernaut. To say that he's the most unfun champ in the game is kinda absurd when we have mega tanks like malphite that are 10x more useful than voli throughout the game or tanky hyper carries like fiora. There are so many champs with worse design than voli.

yeah but i can run away from those champs, and i can actually do stuff to shut them down unlike voli who's just like lol nope i get free mega heal and i can just speed boost into the sunset

pigeon

Banned
yeah but i can run away from those champs, and i can actually do stuff to shut them down unlike voli who's just like lol nope i get free mega heal and i can just speed boost into the sunset

You can definitely run away from Volibear. That is actually Volibear's most common experience as far as I can tell.

jerd

If you're running away from malphite mundo udyr and fiora easier than voli you're gonna have to teach me your ways

Top Bottom