• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT11| going

garath

I think I'm going to learn MF, finally.

Adding her to a champion pool of Jinx, Ashe, Trist, Graves, Sivir and Ezreal should be pretty helpful to help me get better.

You're bronze right? IMO the champ pool is way too big. Narrow it down more. Specialize in 2-3 champs for each role tops. Even mechanically "easy" champs like ashe and tristana require a lot of experience with different matchups and situations to really feel super comfortable with them and carry hard. With a higher comfort level you can focus more on the situations and flow of the game than when to click what.

Gold and below I'd offer the same advice. I'm trying to stick to it myself.

The pool you have looks fine, just pick 2-3 of them based on your comfort level.

You're bronze right? IMO the champ pool is way too big. Narrow it down more. Specialize in 2-3 champs for each role tops. Even mechanically "easy" champs like ashe and tristana require a lot of experience with different matchups and situations to really feel super comfortable with them and carry hard. With a higher comfort level you can focus more on the situations and flow of the game than when to click what.

Gold and below I'd offer the same advice. I'm trying to stick to it myself.

The pool you have looks fine, just pick 2-3 of them based on your comfort level.

Yeah, it is a bit big. I normally stick to Jinx, Ashe and Caitlyn as my three picks since they're the three I'm most comfortable on and have the most mechanical skill with, but I'm not sure it's a strong enough trio in the current meta.

Then again, in bronze ... what the heck is a meta, right, lol?

Nekofrog

Banned
Rex and I had a game last night that we were winning handily until our top laner said he wanted to go to bed and left 5 minutes later. After that it turned into a 4v5 struggle. Fortunately I accidentally took teleport on velkoz mid vs leblanc (who i solo killed 1v1 like three times) and rex and I managed to back door the game 4v5 off of a team fight we lost thanks to lol udyr and my teleport.

100% wr velkoz mid with a 6 plus kda :D

Also til velkoz has a 55%wr vs zed.

Hard

Banned
Who were the games against?

Cho'Gath - Brought TP because I thought I would be against Trundle. Level 1 gank by Trundle, panic flashed, hit by Cho Q, died, first blood, Lane over. Had trouble dodging the Q, along with the Vorpal Spike / Deathfire Touch combo. Flash ult for executes along with armor stacking made it hard to catch up.

Zed - Forgot ignite. Should have killed him. We were both low at level 4. I'm waiting for my E to go off cooldown. I move closer, He flashes in, WEQ combo, I die. Lane over. He just out-damages me at this point. Can't really fight without the threat of an all in.

Quinn - Obvious reasons. Wins by being Quinn. Lane over.

The most frustrating thing about those lane losses was that each one except the Quinn one was the result of a misplay or small error having disastrous results. It really shows how unforgiving top-lane is. I could have played all those better tbh. Quite the humbling experience.

I always find it odd the way you guys bring up your massive champion pools.

Ikr. I only have like 1 - 2 champs per off role. Like 4 for my main (Top).

So, on the last topic of champ pools, is Lux/Morgana/Ezreal a good pool for lower divisions at mid? That's my off role and those are the three I am most comfy playing right now.

Newt

Ikr. I only have like 1 - 2 champs per off role. Like 4 for my main (Top).

Well, back when I saw in silver I would only play two champs, which is what I recommend.

Right now for me it would be like.

Mastered

Draven, Kalista, Sivir, Graves, MF, Quinn

Decent with

Ashe, Jhin, Vayne, Cait, Corki, Jinx

Can play but don't bother

Kog, Twitch, Urgot, Trist

Trying to improve with

Lucian

I get bored with a small champion pool, that why in ranked i always want to play other people and then lose lane because im not that good with them. Im excited for ranked solo q so i can just mess around more in that.

garath

Yeah, it is a bit big. I normally stick to Jinx, Ashe and Caitlyn as my three picks since they're the three I'm most comfortable on and have the most mechanical skill with, but I'm not sure it's a strong enough trio in the current meta.

Then again, in bronze ... what the heck is a meta, right, lol?

Ashe and cait are more than fine. Ashe is low mobility but has the advantage of a very strong initiation tool. She's great for that reason. Caitlyn is really strong right now. Safe due to her range and packs a punch. Jinx I'd replace. I love her, she's always been one of my favorite adcs and I do have a perfect winrate with her right now (all two games lol) but she is risky. I'd replace her with a safer adc like Lucian, tristana, ezreal or someone with a stronger laning phase like MF. Safer is better IMO. Can't rely on team to peel for you so the mobility adcs are good.

Leezard

RP Art is fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_4GOOgLQOs

o2iQoTW.png

Neol

Ehh all I know is Pantheon had a friend and he died or something then Pantheon ascended to the heavens and got biceps and shit.

Guess it might be his bestie.

Ashe and cait are more than fine. Ashe is low mobility but has the advantage of a very strong initiation tool. She's great for that reason. Caitlyn is really strong right now. Safe due to her range and packs a punch. Jinx I'd replace. I love her, she's always been one of my favorite adcs and I do have a perfect winrate with her right now (all two games lol) but she is risky. I'd replace her with a safer adc like Lucian, tristana, ezreal or someone with a stronger laning phase like MF. Safer is better IMO. Can't rely on team to peel for you so the mobility adcs are good.

Thanks for the advice, garath :) I'll think a bit more who I might want to replace her with. Of the ones you mentioned, Trist is the one I have the most experience on but Ez could work with more practice.

So I'll probably consider Cait/Ashe/Tristana right now for ranked with Ezreal replacing one if I improve with him in normals or Jinx if she gets stronger again.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
Can anyone give me a rundown on vision or other notable meta stuff for season 6? I want to place back into gold again for this season and I've no idea what's happened to this game in the past year. I will bequeath gaf gold to all who help me.

garath

Can anyone give me a rundown on vision or other notable meta stuff for season 6? I want to place back into gold again for this season and I've no idea what's happened to this game in the past year. I will bequeath gaf gold to all who help me.

What are your two roles? Noteable change is you queue up for two roles. A primary and a secondary. Makes the games better as people are in more comfortable roles.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
What are your two roles? Noteable change is you queue up for two roles. A primary and a secondary. Makes the games better as people are in more comfortable roles.
I play it all but I enjoy top (Jax/Vlad) and ADC (all of them) the most. Also, I just read something about having premade stacks on ranked q?

I didn't know what any of the last 10 or so champs did but I watched the spotlights.

Most recent thing to me in league is urf from last year and before that adc tf from this thread around two years ago which is totally gold viable but the enemy wasn't allowed to build qss

pigeon

Banned
Champ pool.

Top:
Shen
Renekton

Jungle:
Shen
Volibear

Done. Except I might need to find another top laner because it seems like I can't play Renekton into Shen very well.

Hard

Banned
Champ pool.

Top:
Shen
Renekton

Jungle:
Shen
Volibear

Done. Except I might need to find another top laner because it seems like I can't play Renekton into Shen very well.

Shen counters Renekton pretty hard tbh. If he lands the shadow dash, that's basically a free Q combo right there. Not to mention Shen's W directly counter's Renek's.

pigeon

Banned
Shen counters Renekton pretty hard tbh. If he lands the shadow dash, that's basically a free Q combo right there. Not to mention Shen's W directly counter's Renek's.

Yeah, I had a game the other day that made it clear to me that, however the two champs match up in general, definitely I personally don't win that matchup as Renekton. So it would be nice to have a third champ that does.

Probably I just need to practice up some Pantheon. I know he makes Shen sad. Benefit is I can still apply global pressure.

garath

I play it all but I enjoy top (Jax/Vlad) and ADC (all of them) the most. Also, I just read something about having premade stacks on ranked q?

I don't know what any of the last 10 or so champs do but I watched the spotlights.

Well I don't remember when all the changes happened but green wards are gone now. You rely on cheaper pink wards (which are visible but last until killed or replaced), sightstone or trinkets. Trinkets are a unique item slot that can only hold trinkets. They are free and provide or remove vision depending on which on you get. I.e. standard yellow trinket gives you two wards that last 90 seconds.

Dragon isn't worth gold anymore. Gives stacking buffs that culminates on the 5th with a big attack boost.

We're back in a pretty heavy TP meta.

Adc is dominated by Lucian and ezreal with a side order of corki (though he's played mid just as often) and caitlyn.

Top lane is malphite, fiora, nautilus.

Poppy got reworked and was godly for a bit but got nerfed. She's still good.

Graves got mega reworked. He's more of a jungler than an adc now.

I'll add more as I think of them later.

Can't purchase stealth wards anymore.

Pinks are now 75g.

Trackers Knife replaces Trailblazer and Poachers. It's a mini Sightstone but doesn't improve Smite.

T3 Support items are now either the usual ones, or a T2 support + Sightstone rolled into one.

Blue trinket plants a 1hp visible ward.

Red trinket upgraded don't reveal stealth Champs.

Nekofrog

Banned
To the low elo adc champ pool discussion

Don't pick up Cait at low elos. Her early in game lane bully nature is lost on a lot of low elo players because they don't know how to actually punish the enemy adc with her for every cs. Cait is legit a champion who can, when played optimally, challenge the enemy adc for every single piece of farm they try to get, but recognizing the proper way to apply meaningful damage in early lane phase with her can be difficult.

Then past lane phase you have the period where to get her maximum dps you have to manage your headshot passive proc to make up for her natural power trough (which if you can do properly makes it feel like she has no power trough). It's harder to do than you think.

Then if the game goes long enough it doesn't matter because a 70+% crit full build Cait is going to murder everything.

Tldr if you're not willing to put in the massive time learning her don't bother.

TheFlow

Banned
To the low elo adc champ pool discussion

Don't pick up Cait at low elos. Her early in game lane bully nature is lost on a lot of low elo players because they don't know how to actually punish the enemy adc with her for every cs. Cait is legit a champion who can, when played optimally, challenge the enemy adc for every single piece of farm they try to get, but recognizing the proper way to apply meaningful damage in early lane phase with her can be difficult.

Then past lane phase you have the period where to get her maximum dps you have to manage your headshot passive proc to make up for her natural power trough (which if you can do properly makes it feel like she has no power trough). It's harder to do than you think.

Then if the game goes long enough it doesn't matter because a 70+% crit full build Cait is going to murder everything.

Tldr if you're not willing to put in the massive time learning her don't bother.
I don't think cait requires that much practice.
1. Set traps for poking/fleeing/ sieging
2. Don't use R when they enemy is right next to you
3. Switch targets when you are about to proc headshot.

pigeon

Banned
I don't think cait requires that much practice.
1. Set traps for poking/fleeing/ sieging
2. Don't use R when they enemy is right next to you
3. Switch targets when you are about to proc headshot.

I think the point is that unless you exit laning phase with a huge CS advantage or several kills, you didn't really succeed with Cait, and when it comes to midgame teamfighting, you'll be weaker than the enemy team because Cait spends her power budget on lane bullying rather than teamfighting.

It's like playing Renekton. If you exit laning phase 0/0 and with like 10 CS lead, then you're actually in trouble, because Renekton's scaling isn't as strong as other top laners. Playing a champion that's strong early game means that your win condition is winning early game, not just not losing.

TheFlow

Banned
I think the point is that unless you exit laning phase with a huge CS advantage or several kills, you didn't really succeed with Cait, and when it comes to midgame teamfighting, you'll be weaker than the enemy team because Cait spends her power budget on lane bullying rather than teamfighting.

It's like playing Renekton. If you exit laning phase 0/0 and with like 10 CS lead, then you're actually in trouble, because Renekton's scaling isn't as strong as other top laners. Playing a champion that's strong early game means that your win condition is winning early game, not just not losing.

Ah gotcha. That makes sense. She is the Rene of bot lane

Nekofrog

Banned
Sort of, but unlike renekton if the game goes 40+minutes a switch is suddenly flipped and Cait becomes extraordinarily dangerous.

Also renekton falls off but not even remotely as hard as he used to.

renekton feels really strong late with Titanic into tank or even adding in a Maw against magic heavy teams. He murders squishies still, though it's harder if they're building QSS.

Nekofrog

Banned
Pretty much. There are an abundance of new and reworked items that actually allow renekton to keep a decent, steady power growth going until the very late stages of the game, unlike in the past where he was working under a very narrow time limit.

New maw, new ghostblade, black cleaver, etc. They all allow him to spike harder and longer but by 45 minutes you'd probably prefer to have someone else as your top laner.

Top Bottom