• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT11| going

TheFlow

Banned
finally hit promo and our mid doens't even connect. Of course it is not loss prevented even though it was literally 4vs5 and ended before 17 mins.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
From my 10 or so games I've played this year the toxicity is a bit underwhelming, annoyingly so. Maybe I'm just acclimated to the baseline aggression that an unregulated Dota community musters but League players are very passive aggressive and whiny. Like fuck off if you can't talk shit without coming across as an ultra beta bitch.

Nekofrog

Banned
I really liked hashinshin's post about queue times on reddit. Even at a shit tier like plat1-3, Rex and I regularly get 20-30 minute queue times, sometimes longer when it involves champ selects that go to lag pick and then a dodge, over and over. Our record is 40 some minutes iirc

I even stopped putting support as secondary from time to time because it had 0 effect on getting into lobbies faster

Its the primary reason that I pretty much only play on my smurf now (the basis of his post)

The thing is if these queue times were ONLY for master or challenger it'd be fine but it's ridiculous for even my low elo plat main account. And it'll get worse with the pure solo q option.

Newt

From my 10 or so games I've played this year the toxicity is a bit underwhelming, annoyingly so. Maybe I'm just acclimated to the baseline aggression that an unregulated Dota community musters but League players are very passive aggressive and whiny. Like fuck off if you can't talk shit without coming across as an ultra beta bitch.
It's not like League is more/less toxic than other mobas. Maybe Heroes is less toxic but they literally hold your hand in heroes.

I really liked hashinshin's post about queue times on reddit. Even at a shit tier like plat1-3, Rex and I regularly get 20-30 minute queue times, sometimes longer when it involves champ selects that go to lag pick and then a dodge, over and over. Our record is 40 some minutes iirc

I even stopped putting support as secondary from time to time because it had 0 effect on getting into lobbies faster

Its the primary reason that I pretty much only play on my smurf now (the basis of his post)

The thing is if these queue times were ONLY for master or challenger it'd be fine but it's ridiculous for even my low elo plat main account. And it'll get worse with the pure solo q option.
My queue times are pretty fast usually.

zkylon

zkylewd
I can guarantee you there's a lot of data that suggests otherwise. I know you like less teasing and want it all at once, but that's not true for everyone.

The longer lead up and teasers and hype pieces are liked by a lot of players.
i don't mind teasing, just make it meaty

tho can't say anything cos i haven't watch today's video, maybe that's like the bard anime or whatever

it's also frustrating cos it's so inconsistent and random. not only between different champion releases but in the same one

and if the payoff is just gonna be "here's the champion" i just feel like my time's being wasted

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
It's not like League is more/less toxic than other mobas. Maybe Heroes is less toxic but they literally hold your hand in heroes.

I've only played 3 ranked games so far and there are lots of sighs, zz's and ?'s

I can appreciate someone who mixes creativity and an aggressive tone but what I've seen so far in mid gold is really disappointing. I think it might have to do with Riot's culture on punishing players. I remember a reddit post a couple years ago on reporting people who say bg instead of gg and couldn't believe the support that discussion held.

League is definitely as toxic as any other moba but it's just a different kind of toxicity.

TheFlow

Banned
I've only played 3 ranked games so far and there are lots of sighs, zz's and ?'s

I can appreciate someone who mixes creativity and an aggressive tone but what I've seen so far in mid gold is really disappointing. I think it might have to do with Riot's culture on punishing players. I remember a reddit post a couple years ago on reporting people who say bg instead of gg and couldn't believe the support that discussion held.

muting is the best thing in this game.

Newt

I agree here a bit. Riot places a lot of emphasis on chat, so people tend to get passive aggressive.

It also means that troll picks and troll summoners almost go completely unpunished.

Talents

Banned
Dumb that it's not lightning but whatever. At least it's not a typical fire dragon. That'd be boring as shit if it used fire. Also please not another X hit passive or variant of that for at least another 10 champs. It's getting old.

Hard

Banned
I agree here a bit. Riot places a lot of emphasis on chat, so people tend to get passive aggressive.

It also means that troll picks and troll summoners almost go completely unpunished.

I'd be surprised if reporting someone during champ select wasn't in the pipeline.

i don't mind teasing, just make it meaty

tho can't say anything cos i haven't watch today's video, maybe that's like the bard anime or whatever

it's also frustrating cos it's so inconsistent and random. not only between different champion releases but in the same one

and if the payoff is just gonna be "here's the champion" i just feel like my time's being wasted

Yeah I can understand that. We're not perfect at it.

Honestly though, anyone who posts in here are like the most engaged players. We've been through dozens of champion releases and it's understandable that you just want to go straight to the kit with minimal teasing or a short cadence. There are so many players out there though that don't go seeking the latest PBE notes and know patch cadence etc. that this stuff just works for.

Also, it comes down to what the folks publishing this stuff think is cool too. They're smart people that have different ideas for every thing they publish so there will be a lot of variance. They want to hit the right thing for the right character.

Hard

Banned

Honestly though, anyone who posts in here are like the most engaged players. We've been through dozens of champion releases and it's understandable that you just want to go straight to the kit with minimal teasing or a short cadence. There are so many players out there though that don't go seeking the latest PBE notes and know patch cadence etc. that this stuff just works for.

Also, it comes down to what the folks publishing this stuff think is cool too. They're smart people that have different ideas for every thing they publish so there will be a lot of variance. They want to hit the right thing for the right character.

Is the person designing the champ in charge of the reveal? Or is it split between them and a different group of people?

Leezard

My queue times are pretty fast usually.
Same here, I don't have any issues with queue times. Below 4 minutes, usually.

Aurelion Sol!!!

So yeah. Not sun. Not void. Not electricity...

COSMIC FUCKING SPACE DRAGON WASSUP

It will be interesting to see if space is treated like an "element" in the kit.

zkylon

zkylewd

i just want like a bigger payoff if there's gonna be a long teasing period (this is gonna be like a three weeks-month i guess? since splashes are already up i'm guessing 6.5 is next week so his reveal will then probably be wednesday or something)

jhin got the whole sona, zed, vi thing and he got a fancy slow mo trailer and whatnot and for what, it was all just a big red herring that didn't matter at all in the end

that was a huge disappointment

illaoi was an example of a long running story that had a good payoff, even if the champion is kind of crap. azir is another example

Loving his voice, sounds like a familiar animated character. Like a more evil Scar from Lion King?

I hope he is a mage, his role hasn't been confirmed yet has it?

zkylon

zkylewd
i imagine he'll be a mage or an ap bruiser of some kind since he does sound magical

i hope he's a midlaner, tho i haven't been playing all that much and i'm low on ip after wasting it all on random runes lol

i imagine he'll be a mage or an ap bruiser of some kind since he does sound magical

i hope he's a midlaner, tho i haven't been playing all that much and i'm low on ip after wasting it all on random runes lol
Yeah it would be cool to have another ap bruiser the only 2 i can think of is rumble and maybe ekko, i guess elise is also.

Is the person designing the champ in charge of the reveal? Or is it split between them and a different group of people?

It's a big collaborative effort. Obviously champions don't just have a game designer, there's narrative, art, and many others involved. Each champion has its own team with people from various disciplines embedded on them.

Champion teams will work with publishing on the reveal stuff. There's a lot that goes into them. Even localisation is a colossal effort, when you consider Riot Europe alone serves 10 languages.

i just want like a bigger payoff if there's gonna be a long teasing period (this is gonna be like a three weeks-month i guess? since splashes are already up i'm guessing 6.5 is next week so his reveal will then probably be wednesday or something)

jhin got the whole sona, zed, vi thing and he got a fancy slow mo trailer and whatnot and for what, it was all just a big red herring that didn't matter at all in the end

that was a huge disappointment

illaoi was an example of a long running story that had a good payoff, even if the champion is kind of crap. azir is another example

all in all, considering his first tease was on February 29th, it'll be just over a week (providing everything goes well). I'm not counting the context post because that was more a look into our process of why Ao Shin was no more, rather than a part of the Aurelion Sol tease.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I'm guessing it'll be the usual cycle: teaser one week followed by reveal/pbe either this coming Tuesday or next.

I'm not personally a fan of drip feeding information, but it's pretty easy to see why teasers are done this way.

Leezard

I'm guessing it'll be the usual cycle: teaser one week followed by reveal/pbe either this coming Tuesday or next.

I'm not personally a fan of drip feeding information, but it's pretty easy to see why teasers are done this way.

It's near guaranteed we're getting it next week; we've already seen a couple of skin splash arts.

btw, Aurelion Sol's designer is Rabid Llama. His first champ was Bard.

:D

one of the visual designers was also Nami's visual designer amongst other things.

zkylon

zkylewd
all in all, considering his first tease was on February 29th, it'll be just over a week (providing everything goes well). I'm not counting the context post because that was more a look into our process of why Ao Shin was no more, rather than a part of the Aurelion Sol tease.
i mean, the targon stuff started on the 25th and by then it was assumed it was gonna be a new champ or something like that but yeah, hasn't been that long

still, i wanna make it clear it's not the teasing itself i'm annoyed by, it's the quailty of it

btw, Aurelion Sol's designer is Rabid Llama. His first champ was Bard.

:D

one of the visual designers was also Nami's visual designer amongst other things.
cool. i'm not 100% sold on bard but i feel like the cool shit in his kit (like the portals and the aoe zhonyas) was held together pretty well

is zeronis no longer working on champions?

Tizoc

Is Cassio a good counter to Ryze? Cuz our enemy mid went cassio and ours went ryze. Cuz I don't think that matchup was in our favour.

Top Bottom