• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT11| going

Post it here

Didn't copy/paste it, and some of the stuff I put in the survey box related to the way communities react to dissenting opinions, so it would defeat the point of sharing it with an audience of that regard.

And unlike most of the tripe I post here, it was a well-constructed piece, probably one of my best regarding League, that I've written.

Leezard

I got a survey today too.

There were no juicy new plans, just some questions on content pricing, promotions, balance, etc.

kenbo

Didn't copy/paste it, and some of the stuff I put in the survey box related to the way communities react to dissenting opinions, so it would defeat the point of sharing it with an audience of that regard.

And unlike most of the tripe I post here, it was a well-constructed piece, probably one of my best regarding League, that I've written.
You should start a blog

Pbe is up
Jhin buffs reverted. RIP

yeah, if you get a survey they'll aggregate and look at data.

I hope you put it as well as you say Breezy and weren't unnecessarily mean.

Nah, it was the most sincere, from the heart thing I've written about League in months. I really do want to come back to League, but it's a combination of factors ranging from balance, community, and the impression Riot gives towards that balance and community, that is stopping me from coming back.

zkylon

zkylewd
yeah i think this locks 6.5 to wednesday and ao shin to wednesday too

cool

also i should send rito my champion design idea

Nah, it was the most sincere, from the heart thing I've written about League in months. I really do want to come back to League, but it's a combination of factors ranging from balance, community, and the impression Riot gives towards that balance and community, that is stopping me from coming back.

care to PM the gist of it to me? It's directly of interest to me.

Hey, any good general tips for climbing through ranked? Just been demoted for the first time to bronze 2.
I think people would generally say:

1.) play what you're good at and only those champs
2.) play the strongest champs you can (meta)
3.) remember the game is an objective-based game. you only need whatever items you need to get the objectives. you don't need to be 6-slotted to end games. lower skill games are plagued by people who don't understand that they have an item advantage or otherwise let the enemy farm too many items and get back into a game.
4.) ward. doesn't matter what your role is; you can buy a pink and use your trinket.
5.) rotate. timely ganks can turn into fast objectives or relieve pressure on other lanes.
6.) win your lane. don't be the weak link. protect yourself with wards, get your cs and kill the enemy should the opportunity present.

pigeon

Banned
Always be doing something useful. Pushing out a wave counts (starting a threat to take an objective). Sieging is NOT useful unless you're getting damage on the turret/enemy champs with each wave. Even then it's often a push.

Don't listen to all the people saying "win your lane." Winning your lane is nice but going even or losing a little is much better than trying really hard to win the lane and losing it instead. Your goal should be learning what you are capable of and then doing the stuff you're capable of right every time.

Don't counterpick your opponent unless you can counterpick them with a champion you actually play a lot.

Don't do baron if the opponents are all alive.

Don't fight if your team isn't there.

Don't stand in front unless it's your job to stand in front.

Ward your flank.

Always be doing something useful. Pushing out a wave counts (starting a threat to take an objective). Sieging is NOT useful unless you're getting damage on the turret/enemy champs with each wave. Even then it's often a push.

Don't listen to all the people saying "win your lane." Winning your lane is nice but going even or losing a little is much better than trying really hard to win the lane and losing it instead. Your goal should be learning what you are capable of and then doing the stuff you're capable of right every time.

Don't counterpick your opponent unless you can counterpick them with a champion you actually play a lot.

Ward your flank.

Pigeon, please teach my Bronze teammates these things. They do none of them and I am tired of watching Sona 1v2 Nasus and Udyr in the top lane or Jinx standing at the front trying to poke the enemy Leona.

Is the champion you came up with Lux's evil, exiled twin sister, Xul?

?

wpDhnSd.png

Hard

Banned

"There is no Dana, only Xul"

fuck that champ

Ward your flank.

Wise advice.

Winning my lane is a non-starter as a Croc player tho

Actually he should very much listen to those people saying "win your lane", as it's the healthiest mindset to go in with. You seem to conflate "winning" your lane with killing the lane opponent and only that...so some nuance is in order. Simply slowing the enemy ability to farm, outfarming them, forcing to use critical summoners like teleport when they don't want to, taking their tower, drawing jungler attention to your lane (and thus away from ally lanes/jungle) or denying a superior early laner kills on you also count as "winning" as I define it. Eg if you're mid Kass and survive all the way up to your RoA against a Yasuo or Zed, you fuckin WON. And so to that end it's important that you define your measurements of success are against your lane opponent(s) for the first 15 minutes and accomplish them. Like I said, as don't be the burden on the team. Understand what it means for you to win (that is succeed in your goals) your lane while doing what you can to slow the enemy from accomplishing theirs.

Indeed breaking even is often times winning the lane for many champs (ie malphite), so "winning the lane" tends to be defined differently for different lane comps. Some matchups are bad enough that simply surviving with minimal feeding is the goal. HOWEVER, playing completely passively (ie approaching every lane as a "farm lane") doesn't teach anyone much of anything about how to dominate a lane properly with a given champ matchup. You have to take calculated risks and fail to understand where the limits are. If you really want to move up, you need to be capable of dominating a lane on a fairly regular basis.

As they say, succeed big or fail spectacularly. And learn the lessons along the way.

Oh and speaking of lessons:

7) Make sure you're familiar with the skills and cooldowns of lane opponents. For example, if Blitz misses his grab, you have about 17 seconds to attack his carry freely. Use it. Fiora's Riposte has like a 20 second cooldown or some such. If you can bait it out, you can put a lot of damage on her if you have short cooldowns of your own and enough damage to make it count. If you don't know what the guy across the lane from you does or how he/she works, open up a lolking tab and find out.

pigeon

Banned
Pigeon, please teach my Bronze teammates these things. They do none of them and I am tired of watching Sona 1v2 Nasus and Udyr in the top lane or Jinx standing at the front trying to poke the enemy Leona.

I mean, nobody in Bronze does these things consistently, that's why they're in Bronze! Or if they do these things well they make other basic gameplay mistakes. For example, I have a lot of trouble losing my lane gracefully and I definitely have a tendency to pick bad fights that I need to guard against. And one of the reasons I play top lane is that I hate ADC positioning requirements.

Honestly the best advice I can probably give, aside from thinking about pushing out waves more, is that after every game, win or lose, you should sit down and identify as many things as you can that you personally did wrong. This helps you improve and also helps keep the focus on the stuff you personally can do better in order to win the game.

Actually he should very much listen to those people saying "win your lane", as it's the healthiest mindset to go in with. You seem to conflate "winning" your lane with killing the lane opponent and only that...so some nuance is in order. Simply slowing the enemy ability to farm, outfarming them, forcing to use critical summoners like teleport when they don't want to, taking their tower, drawing jungler attention to your lane (and thus away from ally lanes/jungle) or denying a superior early laner kills on you also count as "winning" as I define it. Eg if you're mid Kass and survive all the way up to your RoA against a Yasuo or Zed, you fuckin WON. And so to that end it's important that you define your measurements of success are against your lane opponent(s) for the first 15 minutes and accomplish them. Like I said, as don't be the burden on the team. Understand what it means for you to win (that is succeed in your goals) your lane while doing what you can to slow the enemy from accomplishing theirs.

I mean, if your definition of "win the lane" is "identify what you're capable of and do it correctly," then sure, obviously we agree. I think that's a little nonstandard!

I have observed a lot of people worry so much about winning the lane that they lose it, so that's the mindset I was trying to prevent.

zkylon

zkylewd
now that i think about it, it'd be a really short patch cycle if 6.5 is next week

they might do a second pass since some of these reverts are on experimental crap, but if that were the case then ao shin would be like forever away

i just want zed to be fixed already, i don't really care about new champions or lore or whatever

now that i think about it, it'd be a really short patch cycle if 6.5 is next week

they might do a second pass since some of these reverts are on experimental crap, but if that were the case then ao shin would be like forever away

i just want zed to be fixed already, i don't really care about new champions or lore or whatever

it would be the usual 2 week cycle.

kenbo

You should win your lane then destroy the other lanes

Winning your lane and pushing until you kill the nexus will tilt your team off the face of the earth

zkylon

zkylewd
has it always been two weeks?

at least in my head i'm pretty sure it was three weeks in season 5 at least

But Zed is such a FUN champion to play against. How could you ever want him fixed.
no sarcasm or joke here

zed is a champion balanced around an item that is useless right now

rito got their wish and ruined the item, now balance the champion appropriately

it makes me hate midlane to play it in this state

What happened to Zed?

I just gave up on a game where my team fought the entire time with each other, Swain died to Yasuo 3 times in the first 5 minutes and nobody warded anything of value.

This was a strange but fun match.

I really don't know how the stars aligned for this one.

I was VS Top Poppy, Ahri was vs mid Vik. Everything else was just so random

The first time I died it was because i did a tower dive to kill Poppy ... but she didn't attack back so she didn't get any credit for it. Think that helped me snowball that lane. Also, decided to build DMG first cause I was ahead. Turned out to be a good buy.

Ferga

Probably has to do with the time you play at.

Nah. Before Dynamic Queue, my queue times in plat1-d3 last season were only 3-10minutes.

Now, it's almost always 10+minutes for solo queue. Gets even longer in duo/trio queue.

Nekofrog

Banned
Nah. Before Dynamic Queue, my queue times in plat1-d3 last season were only 3-10minutes.

Now, it's almost always 10+minutes for solo queue. Gets even longer in duo/trio queue.

we seen some stuff in those queue times man

not even support secondary saves some of them

Playing Garen really makes me wanna buy Gnar.

Not being restricted by Mana really seems to bring a new element of fun to the table. I know that feeling from Shyvana but her whole damn kit revolves around AA and no one uses mana for those :/

TF ADC. God help me this will either be really good or really bad, there is no middle ground.

Re: The Shanghai Major,
That has just been a shitshow. Things are supposedly getting better, but I haven't been watching the actual matches a whole lot.

JulianImp

So, I was just trying to unwind and relax with a random ARAM game... and the enemy team was Morgana, Lux, Zyra, Jax and Leona.

Welp.

Hard

Banned
still really surprised the game went 40 minutes when your team was so far ahead

Closing out is hard to do in low elo.

Also Sivir is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo annoying when trying to siege and end games. That QW combo just auto clears waves so she can stall out until 40 minutes when her team out-scales.

Top Bottom