• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT11| going

Newt

5:30 is four hours from your post.

omgtheconfusion
Haha fixed.

I need to learn how to make those timer thingies, make it a lot easier.

t1457130600z3.png

There we go.

Leezard

Seems to be affecting some users while others don't have it, maybe it's location based.

Or maybe it's fixed, I don't think they can ignore that problem like they've been ignoring the PVP.net issues (^:

I dunno, I haven't had any issues all day.

Maybe it's location based though.

BTW guys, inhouse today with first game starting at 5:30 PST if we have enough on (6:30 PST if we don't). Captain draft. Be there.

Holy cow, I can actually be around for the start of inhouse games. I am excite.

Edit: Shit 5:30EST? I'm not even out of work then. Nevermind lol

Talents

Banned
Anyone elses ping on EUW seem higher than usual today? I usually play on 20 or less but I'm getting 60 now. I feel for the people on NA.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Just want to address a few points, though. I do realize that I suck dick at thia game, lol. And when I can't carry, that is more a problem on my end.

But because I suck dick at this game, having feeding teammates never really helps. (And I stand by the fact that playing passive, but safe is still better than overextending and feeding... continuously, but I digress.)

Nonetheless, yes, I try to take every defeat and try to see if I could learn something from it. Just the simple stuff. I'm only on Silver, after all. "Did I CS okay? Could I have postioned better and died less? Was I afk farming too much? When should I have moved out to help my team?" Things like that.

Of course, those a things that could apply to any and every game, that's good. I want to focus on the macro game before going into the micro.

As for playing FOTM champs, while I can, in theory, do that, I much prefer playing champions I'm comfortable with. Sure, Kog, Lucian, and Ez are gods right now, but I... don't know the extents of their kits to the extent that I know the kits of champions I've put hundreds of games into.

I'll probably stick to using Ahri/Jinx to climb, although I guess picking up a few more champs wouldn't hurt, haha. I just like how safe they are (Ahri w. ult, Jinx w. range and movespeed after kill/asisst).

(inb4 "You have 145k points on Ahri and 95k on Jinx and you still suck at this game?" rip)

In any case, that was just me being salty, because even if I refuse to be toxic in this cesspool of a game I still do overdose on NaCl from time to time, haha.

tl;dr I'm a salty person who wants to get better, and was channeling that salt to a place that was convenient, lol.

This was a shit show.

I could tell we were gonna eat the L half way into this. We had such a big lead, I have the top lane on lock. Not allowing him to farm, getting JG attention. But I look around and my team isn't trying to DO anything with our advantage. Just running after people looking for kills and getting picked off or something. I notice that most of the time their team is off the map, I'm not seeing my top lane enemy in lane and Riven is only popping up to farm a wave here or there ... and our WW is getting killed in the JG. Clearly some of them are just taking to the Jg to offset the lead we had and capitalize on our WW. I try to get the team to group but nope, they would prefer to waste our lead by reacting to 1 person showing up bot or running around to chill by towers something.

I'm really starting to think I should add WW to my dodge list. I just can't stand his kit and I feel like if his ult is on CD he's far far last useful in mot cases. I don't really like "blow your load to get just one kill" champs. I ended up getting killed trying to save him so many times.

This WW was one of the real sucky ones though. Feel like he and Thresh knew each other, they were both bitching at me and no one else had anything to say. And they both had strange builds.

g2f5jpl.png

Fuck my teammates. They never listen to me when I ask them to push instead of chase through the jungle, so I'm usually trying to take towers down all by myself while they run around chasing Trundle or Yi or whoever is still up.

I hate playing this game more and more very day because I'm plummeting through the Bronze ranks and I can't turn it around, no matter what I do well. Every game is thrown because someone wants to split push during team fights or doesn't ward or blind rushes the dragon and dies trying to get it.

I know, for example, I can get more consistent in my CSing at mid and hell, even push harder and leave my team to fight 4v5 if I wanted to, but holy shit, some people who play this game are brain dead. I know I have room to improve, for sure, but what good is it to focus on my game when everyone around me is so stupid that no matter what I do, I'm going to lose?

jerd

Riot Socrates said:
TLDR: When Hextech Crafting and loot launch, we’re replacing the new player 400 RP bonus with a free new player chest. Read on for the details.

A few years ago now, we started giving players 400 RP when they hit Level 3, as part of progression towards Level 30. With the launch of Hextech Crafting, we’re replacing the 400 RP award with a special new player chest that includes an Ashe champion shard, a Garen champ shard, and enough essence to craft both of them. We’re also including a semi-random skin shard for either Garen (Sanguine) or Ashe (Sherwood).

We’re doing this to combat botting and the selling of leveled League accounts containing rare crafting items (such as Hextech Annie). Because loot chests and keys are under 200 RP each, it might create the incentive for less-reputable folks to try botting.

By subbing in a unique chest that’ll provide new players with a pair of accessible champions and a path to earning a free skin instead of a fixed amount of RP, we can also potentially experiment with mystery gift promotions under 400 RP (previously, those types of promotions may have encouraged botters and even well-intentioned players to create smurf accounts for sending gifts to their main using the free RP).

We’re testing the change on PBE now, but we’re planning to go live with new player chests when crafting and loot appear in an upcoming patch.

Should have included all the 450 ip champs but whatever i guess

Newt

g2f5jpl.png

Fuck my teammates. They never listen to me when I ask them to push instead of chase through the jungle.

I hate playing this game more and more very day because I'm plummeting through the Bronze ranks and I can't turn it around, no matter what I do well. Every game is thrown because someone wants to split push during team fights or doesn't ward or blind rushes the dragon and dies trying to get it.

I know, for example, I can get more consistent in my CSing at mid and hell, even push harder and leave my team to fight 4v5 if I wanted to, but holy shit, some people who play this game are brain dead.
If you're stuck in bronze, you're doing something fundamentally wrong. Figure out what that is. Likely you're messing up on something basic.

Tizoc

^I feel ya mate. I decided to take a break from the game.
Yes we all come back eventually but it was a much needed break.

If you're stuck in bronze, you're doing something fundamentally wrong. Figure out what that is. Likely you're messing up on something basic.

It has to be split push pressure or something, I don't know what it is. I know you're right, Newt, but I have zero idea what more I can do or where to start.

Nekofrog

Banned
To get out of bronze, all you have to do is play better than the enemy. That sounds hard, but what you have to do is buckle down, kick your ego out the door, and load up replays of your game.

(the following is not addressed to anyone in particular, it is just an example I made up)

You ended the game 13-4 on a late game hyper carry but still lost? You probably have the most gold on you of anyone on your team, you had better start acting and playing like it. This means your positioning has to be better than your enemy and your map movements have to be superior to the enemy, as well as your team fighting.

Every role has this kind of qualifier in bronze, even support. If you are better, you will get out of bronze.

Now the thing is, if you don't know what to LOOK for in a replay of your game that you're doing wrong, then you have a fundamental misunderstanding of the game (or don't have an understanding at all). This means that you are where you belong until you learn how to win in bronze.

This leads me to my next point. All of the lower elos have specific ways to win almost all of the time (talking bronze/silver/gold). Some of the methods overlap, some are unique to the elo, but they exist.

zkylon

zkylewd

seems like they finally got themselves a translator/editor

i was really close to offering them my services since ptcrow is kind of mia these days

ao shin's face is pretty derpy tbh, but i feel like most dragons look kinda dumb from the front, specially dragons that talk

i hope he looked a bit more dark souls-y i guess, but it's unfair to compare anything to dark souls

garath

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Just want to address a few points, though. I do realize that I suck dick at thia game, lol. And when I can't carry, that is more a problem on my end.

tl;dr I'm a salty person who wants to get better, and was channeling that salt to a place that was convenient, lol.

Self reflection is the number 1 way to get better. Yeah feeding teammates suck. But outside of the rare complete and utter stomp on all fronts (and that is rare. Sometimes it just occurs because of the decisions we make), there are probably things you could have done to either win the game or at least greatly improve yourself regardless of your teammates performance.

Perfect example of this is a game I played with breakfasts last night. I was jungle Elsie and he was top pantheon. Very early he started winning against fiora and was snowballing pretty hard. I got an early kill on the opposing Viktor and almost killed shyvana twice in the river when she was going for crab.

Note that our yasuo mid was awful. Our support Lulu was toxic as hell (and pretty bad) and the sivir was decent but not really doing anything to win the game.

We ended up losing the game. I look back at it and can easily say "man, breakfasts and I should have won that, our teammates screwed us". But in reflection I see at least half a dozen things I did in error that could have easily been the turning point in the game. Once we had shyvana top and the second dragon was easy picking. I ended up chasing a Draven under tower and dying instead of securing dragon. Shyvana came back with the team while I was dead and our suicidal yasuo and useless Lulu died to the opposing team taking dragon. What should have been an easy objective for me turned into three deaths and a lost objective for me team. All the while making shyvana stronger with 5 devourer stacks. That kind of tilted me as well and I made some mechanical mistakes on top of it.

It was one small thing but that was a big momentum shift. Even besides that error, I look back and saw a lot of missed opportunies in ganking. Pantheon was fine top and yasuo was hopeless so I could have spent more time bot with our middle of the road sivir and potentially got her snowballing against the Draven. Instead he got a few kills and turned into a monster because I was trying to salvage mid and chase the shyvana around my jungle as she tried to counter. I also ganked top a few times. It wasn't really necessary and wouldn't have had as big of an impact as controlling that bot side.

I also didn't get enough deep wards. I could have instead focused solely on shyvana and tried to prevent her from stacking and relieving pressure on my laners.

Breakfasts was super strong that game but he admitted a few times he over extended or died needlessly to the fiora in a poor dive. It allowed her to get back into the game as well.

The morale of the story is look at your own play first and analyze what you could have done differently to better your chances of winning. And try to apply it next game! I guarantee that my loss was winnable and I completely had the power to do so.

To get out of bronze, all you have to do is play better than the enemy. That sounds hard, but what you have to do is buckle down, kick your ego out the door, and load up replays of your game.

(the following is not addressed to anyone in particular, it is just an example I made up)

You ended the game 13-4 on a late game hyper carry but still lost? You probably have the most gold on you of anyone on your team, you had better start acting and playing like it. This means your positioning has to be better than your enemy and your map movements have to be superior to the enemy, as well as your team fighting.

Every role has this kind of qualifier in bronze, even support. If you are better, you will get out of bronze.

Now the thing is, if you don't know what to LOOK for in a replay of your game that you're doing wrong, then you have a fundamental misunderstanding of the game (or don't have an understanding at all). This means that you are where you belong until you learn how to win in bronze.

This leads me to my next point. All of the lower elos have specific ways to win almost all of the time (talking bronze/silver/gold). Some of the methods overlap, some are unique to the elo, but they exist.

Got it. Thanks, Neko. Much appreciated. I'll buckle down and figure out what I can do better.

zkylon

zkylewd
Like gaping dragon

that's a really specific look so i don't think so, but like the red drake or the demon's souls dragons just look a lot more menacing and beast-like

it might be the helmet but the face on this dude reminds me of like one of the reptilian ppl from skyrim or something lol

but yeah that's a first impressions thing, he maybe be super cool when he's fully revealed, i wouldn't be surprised since rito been super on point with visual design lately

An argonian?

The new champ have a similar head like a Naga from warcraft.

i don't like when dragons talk or look like they come from a civilized race that wears hats

i'm ok if they're like telephatically communicating with u without moving their mouths like the big annoying dragon in dks2 but that's where i draw the line

tho tbh i can't remember if aurelion sol moved his mouth when he talked in the teaser

Animating lips is hard.

zkylon

zkylewd
i don't like when dragons talk or look like they come from a civilized race that wears hats

i'm ok if they're like telephatically communicating with u without moving their mouths like the big annoying dragon in dks2 but that's where i draw the line

tho tbh i can't remember if aurelion sol moved his mouth when he talked in the teaser

This was a shit show.

I could tell we were gonna eat the L half way into this. We had such a big lead, I have the top lane on lock. Not allowing him to farm, getting JG attention. But I look around and my team isn't trying to DO anything with our advantage. Just running after people looking for kills and getting picked off or something. I notice that most of the time their team is off the map, I'm not seeing my top lane enemy in lane and Riven is only popping up to farm a wave here or there ... and our WW is getting killed in the JG. Clearly some of them are just taking to the Jg to offset the lead we had and capitalize on our WW. I try to get the team to group but nope, they would prefer to waste our lead by reacting to 1 person showing up bot or running around to chill by towers something.

I'm really starting to think I should add WW to my dodge list. I just can't stand his kit and I feel like if his ult is on CD he's far far last useful in mot cases. I don't really like "blow your load to get just one kill" champs. I ended up getting killed trying to save him so many times.

This WW was one of the real sucky ones though. Feel like he and Thresh knew each other, they were both bitching at me and no one else had anything to say. And they both had strange builds.

This one went MUCH better.
We got the lead, kept it and USED it.

My team started dicking around to pad their KDA I think and they almost made a come back on us when I was on death timer but it turned out well.

Playing Garen in a good game reminds me of why I love playing Tanks in MMOs. Being able to go in and help without melting like butter feels soooo good.

Leezard

Should have included all the 450 ip champs but whatever i guess

One thing that is kinda weird is that new players can already get Garen + skin for free from following on Twitter. It would've been more useful if they got Annie or whatever other champ.

Leezard

Vlad direction for Mage reworks:

We’re not likely to change:
Sustain -- Vladimir is the best sustainer in his class and likely the best in the game (Mundo might take that one).
Health costs -- Risk management in the form of his own HP bar has always been core to Vladimir, and we’d like to reinforce that.
Stat Affinity -- Vlad has always been the AP + HP guy, and we think that’s pretty cool.
Q Targeting -- Not everything has to be a skill shot, and we think retaining the old paradigm here is important to the spell’s feel.
Strengths / Weaknesses -- Vlad is the Mage who can out sustain low-damage foes but falls to teams with reliable gap-closing and burst damage.
Sanguine Pool -- An iconic ability that should be preserved.

We’re looking to improve:
Stack management -- We like the cerebral health cost management aspects of E, but we do not like the resulting unintuitive upkeep game.
Binary matchups -- Vlad is sometimes thought of as the king of stat checks, leaving his opponents (and often himself) with few options other than ‘be stronger,’ and that’s not a reputation anyone wants. A lot of this comes from unclear windows of strength and weakness (they exist, but are difficult to perceive), so a lot of our work will be in exposing those.
Counterplay -- Closely related to the above point, Vladimir’s opponents often feel there’s nothing they can do to avoid his damage once in range of him.
Satisfaction -- Mostly looking at E here (‘Tides of Blood’ inspires a much more powerful image than the current E delivers on, and we’d like to change that), though there’s a few other areas that can feel better. TLDR; Needs blood. MORE BLOOD.

When we’re done:
Vladimir’s kit should feel very familiar, and his overall strategy will be largely unchanged!
Vladimir’s windows of strength and weakness will be clearer to both himself and the opponent, giving everyone an increased understanding of how he succeeds or fails and allowing him to plan and set up plays.
Vladimir will continue to deal loads of DPS and heal buckets of HP, but in more satisfying and less diffuse ways.
So his E is getting changed, probably by a lot, and it will likely include some more counterplay (marks, 3 stacks, skillshot, toggle with high cost?). I'm guessing he will get some higher HP costs as well.

faridmon

Hands down, this is he best advice I have read to date.

Nekofrog

Banned
Hands down, this is he best advice I have read to date.

let me add on to it, since i was phone typing and by the time i got to where i ended that post i wasn't gonna keep typing on my phone anymore

most reliable way to get out of bronze: pick one of the common bronze pubstompers and pubstomp your way out. Talon is one of the best champions to put bronze in the rear view mirror with. The level or organization in bronze is so abysmally bad that if you even halfway know how to play Talon and how to roam at a silver level you will fly out of bronze so fast your head will spin. There are other champions like this. Even Akali (in her horrible state) can still just murder her way out of bronze with no problems.

but now you'll discover what so many people discovered whose sole goal was to "get out of bronze": you cheesed your way out with a low elo pub stomper and sure, it might get you to maybe even high silver or possibly gold5. you're going to find that that stuff eventually stops working the way that you used it to get out of bronze, and it'll stop working hard. it's at that point that you better have learned something about the fundamentals of the game in the role(s) that you play because you'll get sent back down the ladder just as quickly as you climbed it.

I guess the tldr is; yes there are specific tricks to getting out of bronze, but if you're not learning the actual GAME along the way, you're not going to get much farther or will get punted back down.

OK, so reviewing my last 3 games, it's clear where the issue emerges, and that's the team fighting phase.

I am not sure if I'm peeling too early when a fight goes south, if I have too weak of a build or something along those lines, but I am struggling to be able to safely close the gap with my ADC picks. Either the target escapes or I get collapsed on if I go in.

Top Bottom