• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT11| going

Leezard

Yeah but i hate being forced into playing an ap top laner because my mid laner wants to get yas or zed and then feed his ass off. Im not saying that it is bad to har an ap top laner it just sucks when you have to and i only have 2 to pick from rumble and vlad. Like i usually want to get shen or something tanky, but then im forced to play an AP and unless out support and or jungle picks a tank(which is rare because ppl want to try to carry in the jungle) the game is alot harder.

Also AP top laners are usually worse because they arent like tanks or bruisers, they still are good but usually if you can pick them with a good team comp.
Trust me 5ad is hell, soooo many times that it has happened to me and all they have to do is pick rammus malp or some other tank and just destory.

You can bring Naut or Rammus top. You supply tankiness and magic damage. No problems, and it works out with the carry junglers.

pigeon

Banned
Newt, thanks for the advice not to build Titanic early if I am behind in lane as Shen. It should probably have been obvious, but it's definitely helping me come back in matches where I'm getting behind.

Hard

Banned
Yeah but i hate being forced into playing an ap top laner because my mid laner wants to get yas or zed and then feed his ass off. Im not saying that it is bad to har an ap top laner it just sucks when you have to and i only have 2 to pick from rumble and vlad. Like i usually want to get shen or something tanky, but then im forced to play an AP and unless out support and or jungle picks a tank(which is rare because ppl want to try to carry in the jungle) the game is alot harder.

Also AP top laners are usually worse because they arent like tanks or bruisers, they still are good but usually if you can pick them with a good team comp.
Trust me 5ad is hell, soooo many times that it has happened to me and all they have to do is pick rammus malp or some other tank and just destory.

People play Yas and Zed because they're fun to play, you just have to carry them and hope they don't suck too much lol

If you're looking for an AP tank top, there are several. % damage according to champion.gg:

- Nautilus (75.7% Magic)

- Malphite (74.4%)

- Dr. Mundo (72.6%)

- Singed (94.3%)

- Rumble (91.6%)

- Tankali (56.5%)

- Kayle (61.9%)

- Volibear (46.%)

- Cho'Gath (71.2%)

- Shen (49.6%)

- Kennen (84.6%)

- Maokai (85.1%)

Edwardo

Dreams, have u been playing Jayce at all this season? I haven't played him in a lil while now and I've been thinking of busting out one of my favorite champs again.

Quonny

One of my good buddies was a Jayce main. He tries him after every patch, just hoping he might be good again.

He isn't. He always does mediocre, and it makes him sad. Platinum, if that makes a difference.

zkylon

zkylewd
client looks ok

i mostly want it to be more responsive and i assume it will

tho you know, wishlist and more streamlined designed would be good too

Newt, thanks for the advice not to build Titanic early if I am behind in lane as Shen. It should probably have been obvious, but it's definitely helping me come back in matches where I'm getting behind.
nothing is really obvious in this game

garath

These queue times :(

Friday night:
- 5 min (dodge)
- 10 min (failed to accept)
- 10 min (game)

Today right now:
- 5 min (game)

This is silver I for goodness sakes.

Maybe I am looking forward to solo queue.

zkylon

zkylewd
tribeca_games__music_league_of_legends_panel_by_ippus-d9u92tn.png

pigeon

Banned
Best thing about the new client is remembering your last queue and showing it immediately as the first option.

Assuming that's a feature and not just the fact that they implemented ARAM first.

Friday night:
- 5 min (dodge)
- 10 min (game)

Today right now:
- 5 min (game)

I've had the problem in normals. 20 minutes waiting for a match after 4 consecutive dodges. Still haven't gotten through P/B phase.

Friday night:
- 5 min (dodge)
- 10 min (game)

Today right now:
- 5 min (game)

Things are gonna get worse when solo Q drops. not better lol

Blizzard

Banned
I'm assuming Riot wouldn't admit it if so, but has anyone heard rumors of player counts decreasing?

If player counts are the same or growing, but queue times are huge, that does seem to be an issue.

I'm assuming Riot wouldn't admit it if so, but has anyone heard rumors of player counts decreasing?

If player counts are the same or growing, but queue times are huge, that does seem to be an issue.
Riot is making more money than ever, no way the playerbase is decreasing

pigeon

Banned

Nah. New champ select was always going to do this.

Very roughly, matchmaking queue times vary logarithmically with the number of people available for the most restricted slot. (I'm ignoring elo for this.)

So your queue time used to be something like O(log x) where x was the total number of players queueing, down to a minimum which is basically your overhead.

Now it's O(log x) where x is the total number of players queueing for the least popular role. At BEST this x will be 40% of the first x, but in practice it will always be even smaller.

So naturally queue times popped way up, because that's what the curve looks like. For people who already had long queue times they're getting proportionately larger increases in queue time, and for people who were pegged to the minimum they're seeing an actual queue delay for the first time ever. Everybody is sad!

But the match quality is, at least theoretically, a lot better. At least that's the goal of the system!

zkylon

zkylewd

i think it's mostly tuning, i don't imagine player count decreasing when there's no real competition

garath

Things are gonna get worse when solo Q drops. not better lol

I'm actually assuming it's a combo of picking your roles plus the premades causing the issue. More the latter than the former. Seeing big spreads between high gold and mid silver says the system is having difficulty matching MMR and roles with the dynamic premades. Solo queue would be much better even with a smaller playerbase.

Blizzard

Banned
Ghost: Supp/Mid
Me: ADC/Mid

Queue times less than 5s lol. Though for some reason Ghost gets mid at times.
I wonder what the division precentages are if people in silver (me, above poster) are getting 2-5 minute queue times, and diamond is getting 5 seconds.

Newt

I wonder what the division precentages are if people in silver (me, above poster) are getting 2-5 minute queue times, and diamond is getting 5 seconds.
Well Ghost isn't diamond, so it's not diamond queue times. More like Plat II/Plat 1. Anyways, division percentages are easy.

Currently at d5, I'm within 0.8% of players.

8ece59b31265f19b8c1c0361aa5fdc16.png

Ghost is within 4.4% of players.

e3f48edc43a18b5fdd48cd065210536f.png

So roughly together, we're within 2.6% of players.

If you're having long queue times summons it's likely because of the roles you're queuing up for.

Blizzard

Banned
Well Ghost isn't diamond, so it's not diamond queue times. More like Plat II/Plat 1. Anyways, division percentages are easy.

Ghost is within 4.4% of players.

e3f48edc43a18b5fdd48cd065210536f.png

So roughly together, we're within 2.6% of players.

If you're having long queue times summons it's likely because of the roles you're queuing up for.
I'm only having 1.5 - 2 minute times with jungle / ADC or jungle/mid, but garath mentioned 5-10 minute silver queue times. I'm not sure what roles.

pigeon

Banned
Per Lyte, ADC is the second least popular role and support is the least popular. So not surprising Newt and Ghost get pretty good queue times.

I'm actually assuming it's a combo of picking your roles plus the premades causing the issue. More the latter than the former. Seeing big spreads between high gold and mid silver says the system is having difficulty matching MMR and roles with the dynamic premades. Solo queue would be much better even with a smaller playerbase.
Premades makes things easier not harder lol

Premades have to pick more roles to queue up so they make things go by faster, while as a solo player you can get matched with pretty much every single possible combination of number of players except 5

Once the queues split both queues will likely be awful

Leezard

I've gotten up to 2 minutes queue times the last few days, that's as a 3-4 man premade at ~D4-D5 average mmr.

Funny enough the few times I've played 5 man premade we've seen 6min+ queue times. That's due to that thing where 5 man premades have to face other 5 man premades 98% of the time, I'm sure.

Interesting, EUW seems to have close double the number of ranked players as NA. Rank 7300 is top 0.4% here. That's just in the start of series in D4, to put it in perspective.
UFnLImy.png

Newt

What you do on Janna is just max W and ks everything.

Interesting, EUW seems to have close double the number of ranked players as NA. Rank 7300 is top 0.4% here. That's just in the start of series in D4, to put it in perspective.
UFnLImy.png
EUW server is just like EU LCS. A few really good teams at the top and then just a bunch of garbo at the bottom :^).

garath

Premades makes things easier not harder lol

Premades have to pick more roles to queue up so they make things go by faster, while as a solo player you can get matched with pretty much every single possible combination of number of players except 5

Once the queues split both queues will likely be awful

No, that would be assuming the role chooser is the primary issue. I don't believe it is. I believe it's the big MMR spread of a premade trying to find another similar MMR balance with the same exact premade size. I actually find a queue faster in premade so I suspect solo players are being matched up with premades and it's trying to find a balance.

I queue jungle/adc every time.

I still dont get why Rammus top is popular at pro level. What makes it work? Seema like a miserable lane unless its vs another tank like Malph and Naut. Extremely weak to lane swaps too.

Top Bottom