• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT11| going

patchday

Ended up playing two normal games last night to get myself out of my funk.

First game, Renekton dominated top lane, I held bot lane and Ahri was getting beat up by Syndra mid, but I rotated there to help her once their bot tower went down. Poor Lee is a Silver 4 and he just got crapped on all game. I ended up building ER and Runaan instead of Shiv, which worked even better in team fights than I expected.

Second game was more back and forth. No surprise, the two assassins were the carries. Kat got a Penta during one of the fights and we won as soon as we started isolating Diana out. J4 lost top lane but he made up for it in the fights by hitting two five-man ults and a third while we were Fnatic bushing near Baron. I didn't farm as much but I tore through them during team fights from the back line.

^^ Hey whats yer ign?

Ez is pretty versatile. He can top, bottom, etc.

given the current meta and needs from top lane, i can't imagine it would have a very high win %. I mean you can make anything work (I destroyed shit as top Leona recently) here and there, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea in general.

I would expect to lose with a top Ez. I assuming winning would be the exception.

zkylon

zkylewd
I think keystones are actually pretty diverse right now. Once they nerf problem cases like Lux it will be good.

i know you're trolling me but like "keystones being pretty diverse" is not a "mission accomplished" kind of thing

in season 5 masteries were "pretty diverse" too, you know

there's barely a few champions that can use different keystones so it's just the same as before

I bet he can.

gross

drawkcaB

Yeah, a champ with that sort of versatility is pretty gross. I hear he can go mid, sandwiched between the two other lanes as well. He doesn't mind.

As far as the current discussion goes I've been saying for years now that runes and mysteries are fucking stupid, so replacing old stupid with new stupid isn't going to make the game smarter.

Still on the fence for Aurelian Sol as a jungler. I think he'll be more than capable, just don't know if it's something I want to play. And then there's having to clean up his abuse cases. No way in hell Riot allows screen-wide AoE stuns to live on.

garath

yeah i think the keystones are starting to work out now, but i agree the overall meta just sucks right now and pretty much all the changes rito made for s6 were for the worse

I've liked most of the changes they've made to s6. The adc changes were good. The way the minion waves work now are better. The masteries are more interesting and potent. The sight changes have felt pretty good. New champ select is amazing.

The only things I don't like are dragon not giving gold, how squishy tier 2 towers are and the death timers. I'd actually be OK with the death timers if the towers were sturdier. I have no problems with a team winning off a 30 min teamfight but only if they actually have some base penetration first.

The champ balance needs some work. Too many strong outliers pretty much ending games before they start if you aren't smart with your bans which is super hard when 3 different people do the bans.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah, a champ with that sort of versatility is pretty gross. I hear he can go mid, sandwiched between the two other lanes as well. He doesn't mind.
oh i was thinking of something else entirely :)

As far as the current discussion goes I've been saying for years now that runes and mysteries are fucking stupid, so replacing old stupid with new stupid isn't going to make the game smarter.
yup, the only good thing would be to remove that shit from the game entirely

runes and masteries were a bulletpoint when league was nothing, but now they're unnecessary and worse

pigeon

Banned
The big problem with systems like masteries is that they have too many customers and it's often hard to identify what groups changes are trying to serve.

Like, for power progression and low-level game knowledge, s6 masteries are probably an improvement. Individual new mastery points feel better and when I see somebody with no keystone or with a bad keystone for their role I know I have an advantage and can exploit it. But when you're already 30, power progression is nil, and when you're in plat or so, you stop running into people who aren't running the official best keystone for their role.

There is probably always a constituency, as well, for the perpetual optimizers to investigate every keystone after every small number tweak so that they can be the one to identify which keystone is best and arbitrage that knowledge for like two weeks before reddit spreads it around, and the keystone system probably helps that as well by making keystone choices very meaningful.

In terms of providing actual meaningful gameplay choices at a high level of play obviously the mastery changes haven't really succeeded, and have had some weird effects (like every jungler running Strength of Ages whether they're Nidalee or Nautilus). I think there are maybe a couple of champs that can actually make a choice between one or two masteries, but in general everybody is locked into specific masteries and so it's kind of pointless. That is not really any worse than the old system, in fairness. But if this is the primary thing you're worried about then the mastery changes have been mostly a waste of your time.

I am not sure whether it is really possible for them to make the mastery choices meaningful at a high level, for the same reason that WoW doesn't say "just choose whatever talent build you like and you'll do good DPS." The thing that is a little better is generally just better. The only way around that is to pump up the specialized power of the masteries even more, making them bolt-on minigames (Grasp is already a little like this), which is multiplicative in terms of design risk. (For example, look at how Grasp affected Gangplank's or Poppy's early laning ability out of proportion to others.) It also will probably feel worse to players who don't want to be bolting on a different minigame every time they play.

I generally think season 6 is fine, but it's also a meta that's pretty good for the champs I like to play (and new champ select doesn't screw me). I think the death timers are probably somewhat too long. Also I would just bite the bullet and give every player one ban, yolo. Being first pick in solo queue is kind of a bummer right now.

drawkcaB

runes and masteries were a bulletpoint when league was nothing, but now they're unnecessary and worse

Yep. And to think and to think all this came about because of CoD4. Still one my favorite games of all time online, but the popularization of unlocks and level progression has been a plague in gaming. Literally ruined some games for me. It speaks to how much I like LoL that I actually bothered to level to 30. Any game that puts that sort of barrier up to me these days immediately gets tossed away.

zkylon

zkylewd
but keystones are worse than the old system. they matter way too much and they've been incredibly disruptive to the meta and balance overall. remember deathfire brand, or warlords tryndamere? how is changing a dated but harmless system into one that produces those issues not worse?

and the benefit is really questionable, i like the idea behind some of the masteries but like i've said before, i'd love for those effects to be on items rather than something you equip pre-game

i'll admit it's specially bad for mids because we literally have only one keystone for the entire class (unless you're dot but that's like 2 champions), but cmon, keystones were a huge downgrade for the game as a whole

Yep. And to think and to think all this came about because of CoD4. Still one my favorite games of all time online, but the popularization of unlocks and level progression has been a plague in gaming. Literally ruined some games for me. It speaks to how much I like LoL that I actually bothered to level to 30. Any game that puts that sort of barrier up to me these days immediately gets tossed away.
yup, it worked great in cod4, but here it's ridiculous

also i've started using flat armor yellows in blind pick now because of all the zed i've been playing against. it helps.

Nekofrog

Banned
The concept of keystones is pretty cool, but it introduces the in game problem of having yet another thing that needs to be balanced properly among a slough of other things like items, champion stats, champion abilities, jungle buffs, etc.

I'd rather they focus on balancing the game that's already there instead of throwing another layer on top.

Newt

What's up with people playing Xin top. Seems dumb as shit to me.
7b5b8ab63c89dde2c6a1215115aa81c0.jpg

Edwardo

I've been playing a decent amount of Karma lately. When I'm mid, I've been having a tough time deciding what to go with for my mastery. At first, I would go with thunderlords, but as games go on I'm really just finding myself poking the enemy team over and over with Q. I'd like to think deathfire would be good for that, but there is the reduced effectiveness with Q being aoe.

Any suggestions?

Newt

I've been playing a decent amount of Karma lately. When I'm mid, I've been having a tough time deciding what to go with for my mastery. At first, I would go with thunderlords, but as games go on I'm really just finding myself poking the enemy team over and over with Q. I'd like to think deathfire would be good for that, but there is the reduced effectiveness with Q being aoe.

Any suggestions?
Deathfire probably works well with her W. I would take it.

patchday

agree'd; Just want to point out tho that CoD doesn't screw over new players with runes. I recall being a newbie and every so often some L30 would get dropped into our games and destroy ev1 pulling off feats I just couldnt do (and I even got Tier 1/Tier 2 runes)

I love CoD (I prestiged in Black Ops 3 even which means I reset my account and I'm releveling back to 50) but they make it fair and if you want to do ranked everything is unlocked. I feel that these f2p mobas just like to put the extreme level progression just so gamers get pissed and buy a booster pack so they can hit 30. Also CoD has those lovely Double XP weekends.

patchday

omg, that Ezreal Top I mentioned I stomped as Naut earlier? He's only Level 19. I just visited his profile page. Well no wonder he got ran over. guy probably has no clue ADC belongs in bot lane yet lol

Nekofrog

Banned
i dunno what happened, but that The Legend of Heroes thread he was posting in is a graveyard on page 2.

edit: nm it's like 4 guys at most

DRE Fei

It's amazing how people are so quick to blame teammates in this game. Just accept the fact you're a bad player and you need to get better at the game.

It's so different from fighting games which hits you in the face with the reality that there is nobody to blame but yourself. No teammates to blame!

Blizzard

Banned
It's amazing how people are so quick to blame teammates in this game. Just accept the fact you're a bad player and you need to get better at the game.

It's so different from fighting games which hits you in the face with the reality that there is nobody to blame but yourself. No teammates to blame!
I think a key problem is that some games are truly unwinnable (or very nearly unwinnable) because of teammates, no matter HOW good you are. Also, some teammates do make very obvious mistakes. The most frustrating games to me are the ones where the path is simple and easy, but people don't want to do it.

Being able to accept the fact that some games will be lost, and focus only on one's own improvement in a vacuum, takes discipline and is tough.

Talents

Banned

Tbh the fighting games I've played have always had terrible lag.

DRE Fei

I think a key problem is that some games are truly unwinnable (or very nearly unwinnable) because of teammates, no matter HOW good you are. Also, some teammates do make very obvious mistakes. The most frustrating games to me are the ones where the path is simple and easy, but people don't want to do it.

Being able to accept the fact that some games will be lost, and focus only on one's own improvement in a vacuum, takes discipline and is tough.

I understand that some games are unwinnable simply because a lot of people that play this game are dumb as fuck. However, in many cases there are things you can do to influence the outcome of the game even if someone else is shitting the bed.

Blizzard

Banned
I understand that some games are unwinnable simply because a lot of people that play this game are dumb as fuck. However, in many cases there are things you can do to influence the outcome of the game even if someone else is shitting the bed.
Of course. I'm saying that some games AREN'T winnable though, without some sort of miracle. And in that case, it's hard to finish the game and think without emotion, "My performance was acceptable," or "I could have improved this aspect of my performance that game," instead of "THIS YASUO IS GARBAGE".

Of course one should also react the same way in other games where it's closer.

Hard

Banned
40% you're going to win no matter what

40% you're going to lose no matter what

The other 20% is up to you

Most win-rates are between 40 - 60%, it makes sense, right?

DRE Fei

40% you're going to win no matter what

40% you're going to lose no matter what

The other 20% is up to you

Most win-rates are between 40 - 60%, it makes sense, right?

90% My teammates feed. I really should be challenger but I'm stuck in bronze.

Nekofrog

Banned
You also need to examine winnable games and judge whether or not it's worth putting in the effort to win or just take the L and move on

Your botlane gets double killed, comes back to lane and immediately starts to fight again and dies again. Jungler ganked you at the same time and you die. Other solo lane is doing ok.

You can look at that and know what you and your team needs to do to win, but you're likely dealing with people who have huge egos (and you with whatever ego you have), but it's not worth putting up the effort and work to maybe possibly win when you can save the time and move on.

Newt

You also need to examine winnable games and judge whether or not it's worth putting in the effort to win or just take the L and move on

Your botlane gets double killed, comes back to lane and immediately starts to fight again and dies again. Jungler ganked you at the same time and you die. Other solo lane is doing ok.

You can look at that and know what you and your team needs to do to win, but you're likely dealing with people who have huge egos (and you with whatever ego you have), but it's not worth putting up the effort and work to maybe possibly win when you can save the time and move on.
This 100%

Blizzard

Banned

This 100%
The lesson learned from the Simpsons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j73cxLiqc2U

zer0das

Banned
I always run into people who play Ezreal top, even though its almost always been horrible. There's not much point when most bruisers can just jump straight on you 1v1. You arcane shift away, but you've usually already taken the damage. He's not that great 1v1 when you actually have to be in range to farm and can't poke with impunity.

Nekofrog

Banned
I have no idea how number changes can cause Kog'Maw's passive to leave behind invisible minions.

they're the ghosts of minions long dead

from a time many, many seasons ago

they haunt the rift seeking revenge

for the crime of being farmed

soon they will take over

and the only thing left

is spooky

latest

Jarsonot

Hey guys. Been lurking. Thought I'd join in the conversation.

I'm a high school teacher who's school is getting in on the esports thing. They were looking for a coach and since I play a lot of video games I thought I'd take a crack at it. So I find out the game we're gonna be playing is League of Legends. This is back in... I don't remember, maybe October? Thought I'd better start playing it if I was going to be coaching it, and have been playing since then.

I'm level 23 now, digging it. Making mistakes but getting better. Reading a lot of guides, tips, builds, forums, etc really helps, but nothing like playing the game.

Anyway. I'm still trying to figure out what role I like best. I'm worst at ADC, but that bothers me a lot, so I almost want to practice that more so I get better at it, but I don't know that I really want to play that role much, y'know?

Top Bottom