• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT11| going

pigeon

Banned
I still don't understand how turning things into permanent things work

You break down unwanted shards, which gives you essences, which you use to upgrade things into permanent things? That it?

Yeah, basically.

You get Shards (items), which you can immediately crack to get a temporary item.

If you like the Shard you can combine it with Essence (currency) to get a permanent version instead.

If you don't want a Shard you can combine it with two other Shards to transmute it into a new Shard.

If you really don't want a Shard you can break it down to get Essence.

In general, all of these will require Lockboxes and Keys to get, which you can acquire by spending Money ($$$).

Or you can very slowly grind them by being good at the game.

DRE Fei

When I used this loot thing to unlock hundreds of boxes on PBE it was pretty good. You can get a permanently unlocked skin or champion from a box without the need to spend essence on it, but that was rare. Usually you get a skin shard and then have to spend the essence currency to unlock it. The re-roll thing is like the trade-up contract feature from CSGO.

Even ultimate/legendary skin shards are available, but they cost more essence to unlock permanently. The boxes don't have exclusive stuff like pax skins, victorious skins, or championship Riven etc. but everything else is fair game from what I saw. The shards can also be for skins/champs you already own too, so I just convert those into essence.

Blizzard

Banned
The wiki says 6 stacks (including champions) for Kindred before only epic monsters are marked (including scuttler). It also does not mention a limit. Are those details wrong?

Blizzard

Banned
You can only get an S-rank hextech drop once per SEASON per champion? So like, an S rank every 6 months or you have to switch up champions, yikes.

Thank you, sent it in under technical issues.

Ignore this for the moment. Conflicting info.

Hope this helps! (still 100% clarifying though, this is pretty confusing and will be giving that feedback to the team. I'll try and gather as much info as I can and answer your questions/put an FAQ together.)

Ok, got clarification. The FAQ is wrong. You can get skins for champions you don't own even through a reroll, so it's not a bug. Sorry about this folks. The FAQ is being changed.

zkylon

zkylewd
Some of them are full skins, no rental afaik.

Not sure about this particular one though.

yeah but drop rate on those is prolly pretty low

Yeah, but they give you enough dust stuff to unlock one. Could save it for another skin.
really? i didn't get enough for the shard i got

Janna face as an avatar on the second to last panel

Fuck wait a minute, tumblr gave me the bloody low res version
Zky I can't find the bloody thing on a decent resolution because tumblr was made by lobotomized monkeys and can't load an image worth a damn, I'll send you the image when I get home since I saved it
i'll look into it when i get back from work

so i got slay belle kat should i reroll it or keep it? i dont really play kat so i think i might reroll it
man this system is so convoluted that not even rito is too sure about it
yeah it is really odd and really complex

also how to you get essence, is it only from disenchant them?

pigeon

Banned
man this system is so convoluted that not even rito is sure about it

They're sure about the part where you monetize!

I think it is actually a pretty well-done system, although with some bells and whistles that are probably not really core. Like I'm unconvinced about the necessity of temp rewards personally to make the system work. I guess all lockboxes need filler.

Also, as I noted in the club, the UI for opening boxes is really, really bad. I've never seen a lockbox UI before that makes you click like four times to see all your goodies.

tumblr_m47bqquQlX1r76lino1_500.gif

That said I am pretty excited to see what they do with their special event lockboxes like the super Annie lockbox that is apparently coming up real soon. Let's go Riot, revolutionize lockboxes.

To be fair I don't work on the system. The people I've spoken to who do work on it know how it works, but some things have changed and we did a poor job communicating it. I've given that feedback already, and I'll try to answer any questions you have.

To be fair I don't work on the system. The people I've spoken to who do work on it know how it works, but some things have changed and we did a poor job communicating it. I've given that feedback already, and I'll try to answer any questions you have.
yeah it is all good. Its not like your the one working on and creating this system.

pigeon

Banned

Give them the feedback that HOW CAN I IMMEDIATELY CLICK TO OPEN ANOTHER LOCKBOX WHEN YOU'RE MAKING CLICK FIVE TIMES JUST TO FINISH OPENING THE FIRST LOCKBOX

YOU'RE SUPPRESSING MY ADDICTIVE RESPONSE

DRE Fei

It's not that complicated. You just need to view the shards as a form of currency that you convert them into (essence).

Champion shards can be converted into champion essence which is used to permanently unlock champions only. You can also rent the skin for 7 days but that's dumb. Sometimes you open a box and the champion shard you get is a permanent unlock, so no need to spend essence. This is very rare. Most of the time you get a champion shard that has to be "upgraded" to permanent. You will quite often get champion shards for champions that you already own. Just consider this a form of currency to save and use later when you open a new box and it randomly gives you a shard for something you don't own.

Cosmetic essence is the same idea but instead of using it to unlock champions you unlock skins. You can randomly get skin shards for skins you already own, so if you get those, just convert them into cosmetic essence and use that currency to upgrade whatever un-owned you get in your next box.

zkylon

zkylewd
yeah it is really odd and really complex

also how to you get essence, is it only from disenchant them?

disenchanting champs gets u champ essence (ahri would be into this wouldn't she) and disenchanting skins/ward skins gets u skin essence

you can randomly also get some from chests as a bonus to whatever shard/permanent you get

also about kat, i'd say if you don't have anything to use the essence with i'd rather just keep it. shards don't have an expiration date unless you activate them, so i'd rather just disenchant stuff in case u get a cool skin shard for one of ur champions or whatever

i got firefox ahri shard so i'm gonna be working towards that i guess

They're sure about the part where you monetize!

I think it is actually a pretty well-done system, although with some bells and whistles that are probably not really core. Like I'm unconvinced about the necessity of temp rewards personally to make the system work. I guess all lockboxes need filler.

Also, as I noted in the club, the UI for opening boxes is really, really bad. I've never seen a lockbox UI before that makes you click like four times to see all your goodies.

tumblr_m47bqquQlX1r76lino1_500.gif

That said I am pretty excited to see what they do with their special event lockboxes like the super Annie lockbox that is apparently coming up real soon. Let's go Riot, revolutionize lockboxes.
this is such a pointless system too. like for all its complexity it's something you'll barely interact with as the monthly and champion limitations for the chests + luck factor for getting the keys just make it a super rare event

i get why they don't just give u a tiny bit of essence every win, but this system feels like it's gonna be so inconsequential. like i'm gonna get like 5 chests a year. it's probably gonna be more but then i need to get the keys for them and all for a bunch of rental skins that might as well be skins i already own lol

all of this does is make rito look good for "giving stuff for free" while opening up another way for them to sell u stuff, and it's really rotten cos it's gambling that they're selling.

i'm really unhappy with the business model direction riot has been going, it's really disappointing

yea i wasn't really referring to you, just how not even the people writing the faq get it right

which is understandable when u make a system this dumb :T

garath

I'm going to reserve judgement until I get into it myself but everything I've read makes it sound needlessly complex.

Maybe I'm too used to the simple CS:GO system: chest drops for playing, sell it for pennies or buy a key to unlock and get random skin. Simple, horribly addicting, hugely profitable (for valve).

It doesn't matter that you get tons of chests. You have to pay real money to open them. It's almost always a net loss. Just the thrill of gambling.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm going to reserve judgement until I get into it myself but everything I've read makes it sound needlessly complex.

Maybe I'm too used to the simple CS:GO system: chest drops for playing, sell it for pennies or buy a key to unlock and get random skin. Simple, horribly addicting, hugely profitable (for valve).

It doesn't matter that you get tons of chests. You have to pay real money to open them. It's almost always a net loss. Just the thrill of gambling.

how about this crazy idea

you don't add vicious, exploitative elements to your already insanely profitable game

DRE Fei

You can just get the chests for free by just playing games. No need to spend any actual money. You can also randomly get a key from winning a game.

They're a business, so the drop rate on keys for winning isn't going to be high but it's possible.

pigeon

Banned
I'm actually pretty surprised that they are selling both keys and chests. Conventional lockbox wisdom says you sell one (probably keys) and give away huge piles of the other.

Blizzard

Banned

you don't add vicious, exploitative elements to your already insanely profitable game
But how will they make more money without exploitation?

Also, I just realized I can't just get S ranked for shard drops. I get shard drops, but I have to get 3 key fragment drops to get a key? Do key fragments only drop on S ranks, or just randomly? I guess I should be glad the keys CAN drop, unlike CSGO / TF2.

pigeon

Banned
I guess you need a trading system for that to work?

I don't think so. Trading isn't necessary because you just give them so many lockboxes that nobody ever runs out.

Like here's a very basic conventional lockbox design:

Every time you finish a game, you have like a 30% to get a lockbox. It's not optional, it just drops into your inventory.

Every time you get an S in a game you can spin on a random reward wheel. One of those rewards with like 1% chance is a key. (This part isn't even necessary, it works fine to have no way at all to get keys apart from monetization, although maybe not for League.)

Lockboxes show up in your UI on some page you go to a lot, probably runes/masteries.

Contents look basically like the contents in their current lockbox system, probably with more exclusive skins (I expect that these are coming).

Done, collect bacon.

So Riot is doing a lot of things differently here, I assume mostly deliberately to make the system relatively more positive-seeming to the average League player. League's fostered kind of an anti-spending culture so there's probably some penetration work to do. The FF20 posts suggest that there will be a big focus on special event lockboxes, which I'm interested to see work out.

This is a complex discussion. I don't really think lockboxes are way more exploitative than anything else the gaming industry does, like we're in the business of providing cheap dopamine hits, but I can understand the disgust reaction because they are a lot like gambling.

At least at $10 a pop it's not slot machine prices!

zkylon

zkylewd
But how will they make more money without exploitation?
is this a philosophical question or like a rito business question

cos like if we're not being philosophical then skins are a perfectly unexploitative thing. they have a set price and you choose to buy them or not depending of if the price makes sense for you and if you like the skin. there's no speculation or tantalizing "omg i got all these chests but no keys!" element or any other addictive gambling shit

Also, I just realized I can't just get S ranked for shard drops. I get shard drops, but I have to get 3 key fragment drops to get a key? Do key fragments only drop on S ranks, or just randomly? I guess I should be glad the keys CAN drop, unlike CSGO / TF2.
i think you're mixing shit up here

i'm not 100% sure if it's s- or higher or if it's s+, but you get that and you get a chest. you can only get this once per champion and four times a year

then there's a % drop for keys whenever you win games. the % is higher if you play with friends

you open chests with keys and you get different loot, in the way of permanent unlocks or shards. shards are temporal skins, champions or ward skins and can be combined with essence of its same type to be made permanent. to get essence you disenchant loot, skins give u skin essence, champs give you champ essence. you can also reroll three of the same type of loot for a new one

there's some more dumb stuff to it but that's the general jist

This is a complex discussion. I don't really think lockboxes are way more exploitative than anything else the gaming industry does, like we're in the business of providing cheap dopamine hits, but I can understand the disgust reaction because they are a lot like gambling.

At least at $10 a pop it's not slot machine prices!
it's not that complex

remove the following from the game:
- leveling
- ip boosts
- runepages
- regional restrictions
- mystery boxes
- chests and keys

spend all that effort into making more/better skins

game will still make a shitload of money, only now without compulsive or exploitative elements

at the very least don't pile up the downright evil bullshit

Top Bottom