• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT11| going

i didn't have a problem with champ mastery, i think they've done the laziest and less interesting system they could with it but it wasn't particularly problematic

this is tho

My issue with champion mastery is they took heroes of the storms system without any of the rewards for going into what that system did.

What the HotS version offered were champion portraits, in game currency for reaching a certain level with your hero, chroma packs for levelling, and then a special skin once you reached max level.

When I saw the league version offered nothing in return, my thinking was this-Why would they implement a useless system, aside from the grades they give for how you did, it's another bar to level. When they announced the crafting, that's when it clicked and made me go 'oh that's why.'

They took out the reward aspect and made it a separate system, while trying to implement the gacha style of mobile games to crafting.

So they implemented a useless system, then tried to go the mobile phone route for the rewards that should've beeen with the mastery system.

zkylon

zkylewd
yeah i guess they did

at the time there wasn't any indication they would, tho. they could've added icons and ward skins and whatever to champion mastery

yeah i guess they did

at the time there wasn't any indication they would, tho. they could've added icons and ward skins and whatever to champion mastery

Yeah. I would've loved if you could've unlocked the character portraits for use. Something shitty like that would've made champion mastery worth to do, ya know? Oh I can rock my Swain avatar and show that I love him.

patchday

I wonder who did Champ Mastery first-- was it Smite or HoTS? Cause in Smite you cant even bring a champ into a ranked match unless you've "mastered" them. At least Mastery serves a little purpose there. I do like how LoL displays the Mastery icon ingame. But they fubared that too. I never see my own Mastery icon but other people can see it

---

Funny how much this game changes. I just played like 3 days ago. When did this Chest crap go live? I didnt see any chests when I played Sunday with Gaf

Talents

Banned
Is the hextech system still not available on EUW?

^^ That Kindred Carry.

funny I guess it's universal- no matter how high of a rank (aren't you Diamond?) the endgame chat looks the same. You'd think at high elo-- I dunno I would hope that players reach some sort of Zen and just like say gg and move on.

I think it depends. Some people at diamond 4/5 elo just kinda stop trying as hard because they feel they can't get to masters so what's the point in trying? But the people who want to get to masters rage a bit when they get those types of team mates because they feel there's no point in playing ranked if you don't want to improve and get a higher elo. So there's a few chill people and a few ragers who get annoyed when things don't go their way because they feel just because they got diamond, they deserve teams who don't fuck up ever.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah. I would've loved if you could've unlocked the character portraits for use. Something shitty like that would've made champion mastery worth to do, ya know? Oh I can rock my Swain avatar and show that I love him.

i think that's the idea they have, but they're gonna tie it into this crafting stuff

tho idk, it's all a mess in my head right now

Nekofrog

Banned
It's taken since the beginning of the new season but as of last night I'm officially higher in rank and lp now than I was last season. Plat 2 80 some lp. If only I had time to play more than 8 games a week.

patchday

Yo Is Mundo just crazy unkillable? I was laning against him as Naut. I fed him 2 kills and apparently I stood by like a dip%^% and let him farm up. My teammates were coo even though I screwed us (but then again I think I was playing with some gafs lol).

What can I do? Let's say you are Malphite or Naut and you are laning against Mundo.

i think that's the idea they have, but they're gonna tie it into this crafting stuff

tho idk, it's all a mess in my head right now

I figure in if they ever add smaller cosmetics(IE I remember doing the survey where they mentioned hats, glasses, whatever) it'll be tied to crafting, but right now it seems they put it out and just attached skins to it? Maybe it's unfinished?

I mean, wasn't there supposed to be finishing animations and things that change a characters particles supposed to be coming out of this thing?

Yo Is Mundo just crazy unkillable? I was laning against him as Naut. I fed him 2 kills and apparently I stood by like a dip%^% and let him farm up. My teammates were coo even though I screwed us (but then again I think I was playing with some gafs lol).

What can I do? Let's say you are Malphite or Naut and you are laning against Mundo.

If you are naut or malphite, you try not to lane against Mundo(Malphite would fair better though because he has armor+attack buff).

zkylon

zkylewd
I figure in if they ever add smaller cosmetics(IE I remember doing the survey where they mentioned hats, glasses, whatever) it'll be tied to crafting, but right now it seems they put it out and just attached skins to it? Maybe it's unfinished?

I mean, wasn't there supposed to be finishing animations and things that change a characters particles supposed to be coming out of this thing?
i don't think so, the only time they added extreme visual clutter like that was during urf cos that's just supposed to be a silly thing

this kind of reminds me of tf2

tf2 used to be a beautiful, simple thing and it slowly decayed into a monster of a billion hats and maps and swords and shovels and joke guns and whatever

i wonder if this is league's step in that direction

i hope not

Leezard

so tank fizz is back again?

awesome, those were fun times >:^)

3uotomJ.png

Blizzard

Banned
It looks like to me that Udyr and Shyv are still very successful in ranked. Maybe even Xin. Shyv in particular seems untouched...or is there just not enough data yet? I thought someone here suggested she was nerfed too hard.

23qwerty

I wonder who did Champ Mastery first-- was it Smite or HoTS? Cause in Smite you cant even bring a champ into a ranked match unless you've "mastered" them. At least Mastery serves a little purpose there. I do like how LoL displays the Mastery icon ingame. But they fubared that too. I never see my own Mastery icon but other people can see it

---

Funny how much this game changes. I just played like 3 days ago. When did this Chest crap go live? I didnt see any chests when I played Sunday with Gaf
forcing people to play a certain amount of normals with a champ sounds good in theory for lower elo I suppose, but then that kinda forces high elo people into playing a lot more normals than they would like

forcing people to play a certain amount of normals with a champ sounds good in theory for lower elo I suppose, but then that kinda forces high elo people into playing a lot more normals than they would like

Yeah.

HOTS has it so you have to reach a certain profile level and then have a certain amount of characters unlocked(They don't allow free rotation characters in ranked)

I forgot how league did it since it's been so long having to worry about being able to access rank, or if they ever implemented anything like it aside from the profile level limitation.

Jarsonot

Figured out why I didn't get a chest on my S- Morgana game. Earlier I was playing Morgana in a premade, and my friend got an S. I got a chest, and (what I didn't realize) since I was playing Morgana she is tied to that.

So even though I didn't get an S with Morgana that game, because I earned a chest through my friend, Morgana is considered to have earned me a chest. She's no longer eligible this season.

SO, don't play your best character at the same time your friends are. Play some weirdo champ while your friend gets an S, and then switch. =)

23qwerty

Yeah.

HOTS has it so you have to reach a certain profile level and then have a certain amount of characters unlocked(They don't allow free rotation characters in ranked)

I forgot how league did it since it's been so long having to worry about being able to access rank, or if they ever implemented anything like it aside from the profile level limitation.
yeah you have to have 16(?) champs unlocked in league

Blizzard

Banned
Figured out why I didn't get a chest on my S- Morgana game. Earlier I was playing Morgana in a premade, and my friend got an S. I got a chest, and (what I didn't realize) since I was playing Morgana she is tied to that.

So even though I didn't get an S with Morgana that game, because I earned a chest through my friend, Morgana is considered to have earned me a chest. She's no longer eligible this season.

SO, don't play your best character at the same time your friends are. Play some weirdo champ while your friend gets an S, and then switch. =)
Ha, that's funky. So basically you have to play weird champs, but you don't have to play them WELL after all.

Blizzard

Banned
The champion.gg "Win Rate % by Games Played" stat made me wonder. Some champs go down in winrate after people play 100+ games with them (maybe spamming them in bad situations, or reaching their appropriate elo).

But, what are the champions with the highest 1-5 and 5-15 game win rates? I would assume champions that are very simple.

Bacon

The champion.gg "Win Rate % by Games Played" stat made me wonder. Some champs go down in winrate after people play 100+ games with them (maybe spamming them in bad situations, or reaching their appropriate elo).

But, what are the champions with the highest 1-5 and 5-15 game win rates? I would assume champions that are very simple.

Probably like Warwick or something

garath

Had a pretty huge comeback with type2. Superior team comps really win out lately. It's really hard to close out a strong early game if you have a weak team comp.

We had ashe (me), Leona, jax, voli, xerath. So much CC.

They had annie, braum, MF, Lulu, gragas. Didn't have a whole lot of synergy. More than once Annie would blow flash ult to kill me only to be left by herself in the middle of our team. Also got gragas ulted out of MF ult more than once too.

We were down 18-5, 10k gold, with a downed inhib at 20min and was backed up right to our Nexus towers. Got a couple kills and next thing you know we were winning team fights handily.

Wasn't our best game but felt nice to get a win.

Ferga

kindred is super strong. u need like 0 mechanics to shit on people

I find Kindred to be one of the most complex junglers to play right. Sure, you can walk around marking enemies and pressing R but I didn't win many games doing that last season.

You literally have to guess where the mark is spawning (which can be somewhat accurately done if you have enough games on her).

I see streamers constantly be on the side of the mark by controlling the spawn times of enemy jungle camps and scuttle.

I've been watching Meteos play her and I'm continuously dumbfounded at how accurately he is able to predict the mark locations before they even show.

I get 5-6 stacks 20minutes in while high elo junglers already have the 6 jungle camp marks and more from ganking. Feels bad to be bad.

zkylon

zkylewd
I find Kindred to be one of the most complex junglers to play right. Sure, you can walk around marking enemies and pressing R but I didn't win many games doing that last season.

You literally have to guess where the mark is spawning (which can be somewhat accurately done if you have enough games on her).

I see streamers constantly be on the side of the mark by controlling the spawn times of enemy jungle camps and scuttle.

I've been watching Meteos play her and I'm continuously dumbfounded at how accurately he is able to predict the mark locations before they even show.

I get 5-6 stacks 20minutes in while high elo junglers already have the 6 jungle camp marks and more from ganking. Feels bad to be bad.
i like the mark mechanic

it's everything else that i think is ugly

garath

Yeah. Meteos is like a next level kindred player. I used to use them but it was nowhere near as effective as he makes it.

zer0das

Banned

Unless you get a massive lead, you're never going to kill him solo. He can just dip out when you shield and go aggressive when it is gone, and slowly run you out of mana. You win by contributing more in teamfights. Malphite has similar issues.

pigeon

Banned
I think champion mastery is actually a pretty weird system for them to add that goes against some of their values, like, I don't think it improves the team dynamic for the other players in my ranked match to know whether I play my current champion very often.

Hooking it into monetization is also weird. I am seeing some games do this -- Paragon has the thing where you have to buy the skin, and then you have to grind while wearing the skin, and eventually the skin blossoms into a super skin -- but I think that combining grinding and monetization just successfully pisses off both audiences, because they don't really naturally cross over.

Nekofrog

Banned
Yeah, on the subject of Malphite

I don't get why anyone would ever play Malphite if Nautilus is up. Naut offers soooooo much to a teamfight other than just point and click ult that, while it's a great ult, it has much more room for error than Naut.

tldr Naut is my favorite champion right now

Blizzard

Banned
God Nasus tilts me

every laner that just sits back and plays like a coward tilts me
Have you watched the "playing from behind" video I linked a while back? It has good advice about playing like a complete coward being a good strategy in some cases.

I don't get why anyone would ever play Malphite if Nautilus is up. Naut offers soooooo much to a teamfight other than just point and click ult that, while it's a great ult, it has much more room for error than Naut.

How many games of Irelia have you played this season?

Nekofrog

Banned
21, and having an awful time on her whenever I play her. irelia is just not ideal right now. 62% wr, KDA dropped from a green 3.something to a gray 2.9 after yet another awful irelia game last night. i think i'm done with her until the meta changes to be more favorable to her.

i also have a lot fewer games overall now than i did this time last season cause i have 0 time now.

patchday

Unless you get a massive lead, you're never going to kill him solo. He can just dip out when you shield and go aggressive when it is gone, and slowly run you out of mana. You win by contributing more in teamfights. Malphite has similar issues.

dang, thanks

hm, yeah....

interesting will keep that in mind... Yeah I like both champs. Malphite has my favorite Taunt in the game, "You will lose!". Pretty much best taunt in any game

kindred is super strong. u need like 0 mechanics to shit on people

Crap wish I had him then lol.

Nekofrog

Banned
I guess the thing is, if you lose lane as malphite and you can't scale like you want, you're relegated to being a weak splitpusher who is at a high risk of dying unless you use the very ability you want to keep up to be used on the enemy as an escape. and once you go in as malphite, you're in. you had better have followup from the team.

if you get engaged on as malphite while grouped, your ult can be used as disengage... for the rest of your team, but now you're in deep.

peel? lol, ok malphite

I can't think of a single scenario where I'd rather be a Malphite over nautilus right now in top lane. And I like Malphite, don't get me wrong.

As Naut, you can lose your lane and still be super useful in multiple scenarios. You can disengage with R, you can engage with R (and thanks to its long range, you can ult their backline from far away and still have it hit their front line too).

there's also his passive, which has won me so many teamfights from just autoing everything running at my back line and keeping them locked down with Q and E and R, all while doing respectable damage in the process thanks to sunfire/W.

plus you can roleplay spiderman as nautilus. it's so fun. once you have a good amount of CDR, your hook is up so often that you're a nightmare to run away from.

malphite? flash R, that's all you really have in a teamfight. and again, not disrespecting it because it's a great ability, but naut can do exactly the same thing in numerous different ways. had a game the other night where I lost lane as naut, but I was always able to find flash-Q hooks onto somebody important to initiate the fight and we just steamrolled.

more tldr; nautilus is so freaking wonderful to play because he does everything you need in a toplaner in the current meta, and he does it better than just about everyone.

i hope this gushing rant about naut-chan expressed my feelings adequately. zky cute naut pic pls

Top Bottom