• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT11| going

Talents

Banned
Riot probably never even intended to bring solo queue back in the first place. They probably saw that people were annoyed when they announced dynamic queue, so said that they'd be releasing solo queue to calm everyone down. Now they think that enough time has passed so that no one would be annoyed if they suddenly dropped it because everyone LOVES dynamic. Nice Riot. Nice.

Quonny

I agree that we should change the game to benefit ~0.5% of the playerbase while adversely effecting 99.5%.

In other news,

cm4nPYz.png

it doesn't adversely affect the 99.5%? they can keep their shit dq matchmaking just give us a fkn solo q option so i dont wait 40 minutes to find mid/jungle in plat 3

jerd

it doesn't adversely affect the 99.5%? they can keep their shit dq matchmaking just give us a fkn solo q option so i dont wait 40 minutes to find mid/jungle in plat 3

Wouldn't splitting the playerbase make your queue times longer if anything?

I have a theory backed up by absolutely no evidence that the whole queue controversy on reddit and twitter is just a weird feedback loop where players hate dynamic queue for unsubstantiated reasons, pros shit on dynamic queue because they know that the playerbase will eat it up, and the playerbase in turn shits on dynamic queue even more because they want to please/side with the pros.

The only things that really make me think this are the fact that 1 idk why ultra high elo players would prefer solo q since even in the worst case scenario where its a bunch of solos vs highly coordinated randoms it should be much better practice for them and 2 that's such a dumb reddit thing to do

Edit: Also you know there is a queue bug right? If your queue goes longer than 4-5 min just reset the queue and you'll pop pretty quick

Leezard

That queue time sounds unreal. But yeah, if anything introducing solo queue would make it worse since it divides the queues.

drawkcaB

I have little faith that Riot can change the system such that I no longer have to jungle/top just to avoid getting support in the vast majority of my matches.

jerd

I have little faith that Riot can change the system such that I no longer have to jungle/top just to avoid getting support in the vast majority of my matches.

There's not much that can be done on that front I don't think. We pretty much all knew that support mains make up such a tiny fraction of the community that something like this would happen. If they incentivize support too much then you just get non support players playing the role just for the rewards. I think that's the best solution but it's gonna lead to some pretty poor support play I would imagine

garath

Mid is the only role that feels like people are floundering right now. Largely because of the secondary role problem Rex and others have highlighted. Too many people that don't play the role well are getting it.

Support players just need to have three roles in mind. Two that they queue for when they don't want to play support and support.

I agree that we should change the game to benefit ~0.5% of the playerbase while adversely effecting 99.5%.

It's more than that. You literally cannot put support as a secondary option for roles because it will force you to support 100% the time. That's not respectful of choosing "Secondary" role. I'm not the only person in my friends list that has had this issue.

dividing queue times is irrelevant if riot just sucks it up and admits to themselves they can't balance role preferences at all and just let people play by pick order in solo q. they can keep that fancy champ select shit too if it makes them happy.

Quonny

It's more than that. You literally cannot put support as a secondary option for roles because it will force you to support 100% the time. That's not respectful of choosing "Secondary" role. I'm not the only person in my friends list that has had this issue.

So then they need to fix dynamic queue or re-balance it. The solution is not solo queue.

Hard

Banned
There's not much that can be done on that front I don't think. We pretty much all knew that support mains make up such a tiny fraction of the community that something like this would happen. If they incentivize support too much then you just get non support players playing the role just for the rewards. I think that's the best solution but it's gonna lead to some pretty poor support play I would imagine

Better a poor support than a poor mid.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
it's really hard to believe that dodges are down compared to the old queue, every single game i have to wait through at least 3-4 cycles of "a player did not lock in their pick or ban" which can occur at any time in the champion select process, not just the pick and ban phase.

not to mention 3-4 "a player did not pass the afk test" before i even get to the next stage of potential dodging

5-2 in my placements. Queueing top/jungle. Only got my secondary once.

I love playing Shen so much. Feels good to be able to bully your lane and make a meaningful impact on other lanes. Also becoming an unkillable demon late game feels really good.

zer0das

Banned
So then they need to fix dynamic queue or re-balance it. The solution is not solo queue.

Good luck, there's always going to be a role people don't want to play. I'm someone who has historically played 30-40% of my games as support, but landing as it every single time when you put fill or support as a secondary is beyond annoying. It's either that or have 8 minute plus queue times, and I'm at the bottom dredges of platinum.

The other annoying thing is you'd think dynamic queue would result in teams with better coordination and perhaps are better at their role than average, but this season is the one that I've seen with the lowest percentage of actual 5v5s that are kind of close and don't have blatantly stupid things going on. Duo queue people already tended to jack up games at their elo because they tend to be super swingy (and I would say on average far worse than other people at their elo), either due to large gaps in the skill of the duo, or they're just incapable of fending for themselves if they don't steamroll lane. Now you have games where the other 4 bozos might be here because of each other. Greeaaat.

Hard

Banned
okey doke

so my renekton win rate (and win rate in general) has been tanking pretty hard over the past few days and i didn't know why

so after going 0-3 last night, I had some time to think about wtf I was doing wrong to get shit on all those games

lying in bed stewing over getting pentakilled by master yi was an awful feeling, but it got me thinking. about what our notorious P.o.B. (pobelter) said awhile ago

he told us, "if you want to maintain elo, you play passive. If you want to climb, play aggressive."

so now I came to a realization

ive been playing way too passive all along and its resulting in me not gaining elo

so my next games, fuck tp, going renekton with flash ignite, and im going to turn this lane into team deathmatch. literally not going to give a fuck the entire game. don't care if i get ganked or w/e, going hard carry mode every time dont care if i feed because idgaf

gonna build a wall around my opponent and snowball the game hard

because i can't afford to get cucked by the rest of my team and depend on them doing well

hell i called myself gator raid need to act like it

Trundle? Gonna kill em
Voli? Gonna kill em
Poppy? Gonna kill em
Shen? Gonna kill em
Fiora? Gonna kill em
ADCs? Gonna kill em
Mids? Gonna kill em

as i live all will die

tonight I'm gonna slay or this is going to backfire horribly but w/e

elo is all that matters

wish me luck goyim

#makerenektongreatagain
#justtrumpthings

im not crazy i swear

garath

Yeah. Gotta agree with the aggressive play yielding elo. I typically play pretty passively myself and I am actively trying to play more aggressive. Last night was perfect example. As ashe, with a zyra support we bullied the hell out of a poor Draven/Janna combo. Played up and in their face the whole lane. Got ganked and double killed once but so what. We kept them at tower, killed them each once or twice, and Draven was down 50cs by the 15 min mark. Started from fast pushing to level 2, hit my stacks quickly and used Q to chunk him down to 10% health and force a heal. That aggressive level 2 exchange pretty much won us the lane and eventually game.

It was like a text book bot lane crushing turning into complete map dominance. Just kept rotating lanes taking towers. Hitting arrows to force fights with our lead. It didn't matter that our top poppy fed Quinn. By playing super aggro across the map we won the game handily. Hell, didn't even lose my bot tower the entire game AND I kept my farm up.

Its why newt wins so much. Super aggro!

Leezard

The point for playing aggressive to win is because if you're better than your opponent you will win lane. You might win lane hard, and that's likely to go into a win.

So yeah, playing aggressive is great if you want to climb.

Yeah, I always play aggro. Unfortunately leads to small cs numbers cos I'm always focused on giving my opposing laner the dick and am just bad at last hitting.

But I generally force at least an early flash at level 2.

My problem used to be that I would ward poorly and get ganked because of my over-aggression, but I'm getting better at covering my bases top lane.

JulianImp

Yesterday my cousin and I finally managed to get together for a 5v5 game, but we had to go blind pick because we weren't getting paired for normal draft at all (maybe the match-making gets wonky because he's still level 16).

My Lulu got paired up with a really bad Tristana in lane who didn't even know she could rocket jump away to safety and we began losing to their Leona's all-ins, but as we transitioned into the mid-late game our comp began getting better while the enemy team was stupid enough to all push mid together while we afforded to let Trist split push while slowly recouping her gold disadvantage. In the end we didn't really have a form of engage, so we had to wait until their Ahri had wasted her charm. Other than that, their Leona and Volibear were tanky as hell but relatively useless after they had spent their abilities, so that only left their Ahri, ADC and Fiora as our main attack targets. 55 minutes and lots of complicated teamfights later, we finally managed to take them out as our minions overrun their base even while several of us were waiting to respawn after a lost teamfight.

It was interesting because this match made it obvious to me just how much better Lulu's versatility was compared to Leona's rigid all-in engage combo, since I was constantly protecting teammates while casting whimsy to screw over engage attempts or chase enemies and poking with glitterlance compared to her only being able to fish for engages with E and walking around waiting for its CD whenever she missed.

Still saving up IP for eventually getting Zyra, since she's the next support character I feel like trying out.

Tizoc

See, that's the support Zyra I'm talking about.

You probably dealt true damage to 3 people and close to true damage to the rest.

Funnily enough Ekko tried to gank bot twice but failed. I put a purp ward in the brush opposite our turret and...he never ganked again.
It was hilarious how easily I'd blow up Vayne or anyone else that got snared @_@

Hard

Banned
mb about the epiphany earlier (not really tbqh)

but I'm just tired

tired of 26/2/8 enemy fizzes

tired of 4/0/0 dravens 2 shotting my carry by 8 minutes

tired of 8/0/1 mid malphite

tired of people crying about getting mid when they're jungle secondary then feeding

tired of no one else building survivability items and bitching at me because malphite gives them the long dick

tired of shithead 0 skill tanks stacking armor against me if I pussy out of a tower dive (first back I almost always see a variation of a mana/armor rush)

tired of getting pentakilled by master yi's who feed then get sated/rageblade and become nigh unstoppable

tired of said yi's getting high and mighty like they deserved it

so

I just wont care anymore tbh

only thing that matters is

1. Myself

2. The enemy team

3. How to kill them

4. How to win the game

no need to overthink things, just do it

and I will, cause I'm awesome

#justdoit

#justshiathings

damn that felt good

zkylon

zkylewd
I think that would be nice for competitive but I don't think that would help in pub games due to difficulties of getting randoms to agree on a specific strategies, and would only bring about more whining about how 2 or 3 ops are guaranteed to get through champ select.
will probably require riot to be faster with dealing with ops but i don't think that's a bad thing :p

It sounds like they thought about it but didn't think people would actually do it.

As people have noted, if you put mid secondary to try to force your primary, there's a good chance you're terrible at mid. If those games are usually losses then in most situations it's negative expected value to game the system like that. People play ranked to climb, if putting mid secondary makes you fall then nobody will do it.

However, it seems like there's a tipping point where if ENOUGH people are gaming the system in the exact same way by putting mid then your odds of actually getting mid become so low that it is net positive or at least closer to even. Dodge management probably plays a role as well.

Riot probably didn't expect to hit the tipping point because it's like evolving wings, all the intervening points are just unproductive. They neglected to realize how good players are at coordinating on executing bad ideas.
i mean, it makes them look really bad cos they took so long making it and hey, for the most part it works, if you're in a big team and your elo is not too high, but ehh

Riot probably never even intended to bring solo queue back in the first place. They probably saw that people were annoyed when they announced dynamic queue, so said that they'd be releasing solo queue to calm everyone down. Now they think that enough time has passed so that no one would be annoyed if they suddenly dropped it because everyone LOVES dynamic. Nice Riot. Nice.

i really don't think this is a great way of expressing ur point dude

random tweets of players that aren't specially known for their deep insight (like scarra or whatever) are kind of worthless

like pros are always upset about something, before it was replays or lack of sandbox mode, now it's this. it's in riot's better interest to make competitive stronger but let's not pretend the older solo q was a really serious and effective training environment

solo q is played to train finger mechanics and try out champions, not much else. unless it's an ego thing, what's it gonna matter to pros if they do that in solo q or dynamic q

splitting the playerbase would increase the matchmaking times, not reduce them

which is why i think if they're gonna do solo q it's prolly not gonna have role selection

Talents

Banned
i really don't think this is a great way of expressing ur point dude

random tweets of players that aren't specially known for their deep insight (like scarra or whatever) are kind of worthless

like pros are always upset about something, before it was replays or lack of sandbox mode, now it's this. it's in riot's better interest to make competitive stronger but let's not pretend the older solo q was a really serious and effective training environment

Like Scarra you say?

kiguel182

Hi everyone!

So, I've started playing Dota a few months ago (I have like 80 hours) and while I really enjoy it I've been having too many problems with it with random disconnects and just overall bad connections so I've decided to give League a shot (another one since I've played just a little bit of it).

What are the most important things to know for this transaction? I'm not an expert player by any means so some general advice would be nice about some of the major differences.

Talents

Banned
Hi everyone!

So, I've started playing Dota a few months ago (I have like 80 hours) and while I really enjoy it I've been having too many problems with it with random disconnects and just overall bad connections so I've decided to give League a shot (another one since I've played just a little bit of it).

What are the most important things to know for this transaction? I'm not an expert player by any means so some general advice would be nice about some of the major differences.

A pretty big thing is there is no turn time on champs in League so you're able to turn your character instantly. There is no buybacks, you can't deny cs as you can in DoTA. DoTA all champs are available from the start where as in LoL you have to buy champs using IP (in game currency) or RP (real money) or you can try them out for a week if they are in the free week rotation. You are able to "back" to your base after 8 seconds of channeling time and then buy items rather than having a courier deliver them. You have summoner spells in league which are usually bound to D and F: http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Summoner_spell. There's lots of information to help you in the OT.

You can pick up a lot of in game information by watching streamers. Nightblue is a jungler who I think tries to explain why he does everything in order to help newer players. Scarra is a Mid laner mostly who is also very helpful and explains a lot of his moves and why he does them. E.g. why he bought a certain item or when a champs power spike is and when he thinks he can beat them.

Neol

Hi everyone!

Mechanically wise, league is faster and easier to control your characters due to no turn speeds etc.

Generally one of the major differences I find is the laning phase. Yes CSing is still an important aspect but since there is no denying, as well as many spells having short cooldowns and low mana costs, your encouraged to use them quite often to trade and poke etc. Overall it gives a more aggressive laning phase when compared to Dota as you can't really be free to use/ miss spells due to high mana costs.

Here's an idea: Allow people to set the frequency they would like to play primary and secondary roles. E.g. Mid 80% and Top 20% and give an estimated wait time. Riot can set a monitor on the system and force players to set a minimum frequency for secondary role to ensure queue times are not too long. For example, somebody that asks for Mid and Jungle may get unfavourable ratios.

Otherwise, this happens to anybody that puts "Fill" or "Support" for secondary role:

The only reason toxicity is reduced in the new system is that some are forced to support every game by the dynamic queue system. Not fair in my opinion.

Talents

Banned
Here's an idea: Allow people to set the frequency they would like to play primary and secondary roles. E.g. Mid 80% and Top 20% and give an estimated wait time. Riot can set a monitor on the system and force players to set a minimum frequency for secondary role to ensure queue times are not too long. For example, somebody that asks for Mid and Jungle may get unfavourable ratios.

Otherwise, this happens to anybody that puts "Fill" or "Support" for secondary role:

The only reason toxicity is reduced in the new system is that some are forced to support every game by the dynamic queue system. Not fair in my opinion.

If the ratios are unfavourable, what's the point in having primary and secondary in the first place? I assume you're talking about unfavourable is in 40% mid (primary) 60% jungle (secondary)

zkylon

zkylewd
i feel like something like that is probably pretty tricky to do right in a way that's easy to understand for players and also gives everyone good queue times

like, i expect my primary to be at least 60% of the times

right now i'm getting my primary like 30%

idk how they're gonna fix it :T

Leezard

Hi everyone!

Welcome.

First of all, support in League does not mean the same as support in Dota. In Dota, you put every hero somewhere on the carry-support spectrum, that 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 role numbering system. In League, "support" is a specific position, one out of five positions. The support position itself is varied between tanks, enchanters, and mages that deal damage. Only enchanters (primary healers and shielders) are exclusive to the support position, you'll see the other ones in other roles but they will not be called a support even if they perform the same function in the support position or in the top position.

In Dota you typically call a carry someone who will deal damage by right-click attacks, but in League all mages' and spellcasters' abilities will scale and can carry a game.

Instead of the offlane and safelane notation, we say top and bot lane, and it is symmetric; there is no difference such as Dire offlane vs Radiant offlane are on the other side of the map. Typically, a marksman and the support goes botlane. You typically have some sort of roamer or control heavy mage or assassin in mid lane. You have a range of bruisers, tanks, marksmen and mages in top lane, and a similar range for the jungle.

That's another important part; in League you always have a jungler. Well, except for the games right in the beginning like for you right now when you are starting. Jungling requires a bit of experience of the game, as well as a couple of runes. In low-level games you often have two people in the top lane instead.
Oh wow, full AD Khazix feels pretty good. Not bad at all.

Yeah I just had a good Kha on my team, he did tons of damage.
It seems legit.

Leezard

PBE is updating again.

so far:
Champions

Jhin
Dancing Grenade (Q)
Mana cost increased to 40/45/50/55/60 from 30/34/40/45/50
Damage reduced to 50/75/100/125/150 from 60/85/110/135/160
Captive Audience (E) mana cost reduced to 30/35/40/45/50 from 40/45/50/55/60

Poppy
Hammer Shock (Q) damage reduced to 35/55/75/95/115 from 40/65/90/115/140

Soraka
Astral Infusion (W) mana cost increased to 50/55/60/65/70 from 40/45/50/55/60

Items
Maw of Malmortius
MR lowered to 40 from 50
Unique Passive - Livegrip - no longer grants 25% attack speed until out of comba
Jhin, Soraka, Poppy, Maw nerfs. Seems ok.

kiguel182

A pretty big thing is there is no turn time on champs in League so you're able to turn your character instantly. There is no buybacks, you can't deny cs as you can in DoTA. DoTA all champs are available from the start where as in LoL you have to buy champs using IP (in game currency) or RP (real money) or you can try them out for a week if they are in the free week rotation. You are able to "back" to your base after 8 seconds of channeling time and then buy items rather than having a courier deliver them. You have summoner spells in league which are usually bound to D and F: http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Summoner_spell. There's lots of information to help you in the OT.

You can pick up a lot of in game information by watching streamers. Nightblue is a jungler who I think tries to explain why he does everything in order to help newer players. Scarra is a Mid laner mostly who is also very helpful and explains a lot of his moves and why he does them. E.g. why he bought a certain item or when a champs power spike is and when he thinks he can beat them.

Mechanically wise, league is faster and easier to control your characters due to no turn speeds etc.

Generally one of the major differences I find is the laning phase. Yes CSing is still an important aspect but since there is no denying, as well as many spells having short cooldowns and low mana costs, your encouraged to use them quite often to trade and poke etc. Overall it gives a more aggressive laning phase when compared to Dota as you can't really be free to use/ miss spells due to high mana costs.

Welcome.

First of all, support in League does not mean the same as support in Dota. In Dota, you put every hero somewhere on the carry-support spectrum, that 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 role numbering system. In League, "support" is a specific position, one out of five positions. The support position itself is varied between tanks, enchanters, and mages that deal damage. Only enchanters (primary healers and shielders) are exclusive to the support position, you'll see the other ones in other roles but they will not be called a support even if they perform the same function in the support position or in the top position.

In Dota you typically call a carry someone who will deal damage by right-click attacks, but in League all mages' and spellcasters' abilities will scale and can carry a game.

Instead of the offlane and safelane notation, we say top and bot lane, and it is symmetric; there is no difference such as Dire offlane vs Radiant offlane are on the other side of the map. Typically, a marksman and the support goes botlane. You typically have some sort of roamer or control heavy mage or assassin in mid lane. You have a range of bruisers, tanks, marksmen and mages in top lane, and a similar range for the jungle.

That's another important part; in League you always have a jungler. Well, except for the games right in the beginning like for you right now when you are starting. Jungling requires a bit of experience of the game, as well as a couple of runes. In low-level games you often have two people in the top lane instead.

Yeah I just had a good Kha on my team, he did tons of damage.
It seems legit.

Thanks for all the help! Some really useful info here that will make the transition easier.

drawkcaB

That poppy nerf is quite big. Still jungle her though. I knew they'd hit it again but I thought the %health damage would be reduced. I'd hit that too and partially compensate with a slightly higher bonus AD ratio.

Top Bottom