• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT11| going

zkylon

zkylewd
I think Aurelion Sol will be the next Azir.

Plays like nothing else and will take a while for people to get used to it, but when they do he'll be broken as fuck.

probably, he seems to have just about everything in his kit, burst, aoe dps, waveclear, aoe cc, roaming potential and will probably synergize fantastic with the op items like roa and abyssal

Tanks are just ridiculous. Why can Malphite and Trundle do as much damage as a carry and be unkillable at the same time? Trundle has so much utility people play him as support. Malphite has a game changing ultimate. There's no need for them to have such absurd sustained DPS as well. Rammus, Nautilus and Poppy are just as dumb.

This game is not very fun right now.

kenbo

probably, he seems to have just about everything in his kit, burst, aoe dps, waveclear, aoe cc, roaming potential and will probably synergize fantastic with the op items like roa and abyssal
Wtb mobility
Tanks are just ridiculous. Why can Malphite and Trundle do as much damage as a carry and be unkillable at the same time? Trundle has so much utility people play him as support. Malphite has a game changing ultimate. There's no need for them to have such absurd sustained DPS as well. Rammus, Nautilus and Poppy are just as dumb.

This game is not very fun right now.
Tanks just seem like they do a lot of damage because they are hitting squishy targets

jerd

So strange tanks are so widely complained about when it's stuff like corki, lux, ezreal, Quinn, graves, yi that have been running the show latelh

Don't get me wrong there are a couple of busted tanks right now, but I don't think they've been the strongest class for a while now

zkylon

zkylewd
Wtb mobility
i'd say he's more like viktor than azir but yeah, he doesn't have the lane safety azir has but he still has the self-peel and he has the ability to get back to lane faster than probably any other midlaner and he'll also be able to splitpush

i don't think he'll be super op on release but his kit kind of does everything so that's kind of troubling already

he looks fun and since azir hasn't been fun for me in a while and viktor's olafed he's a new challenge to learn

So strange tanks are so widely complained about when it's stuff like corki, lux, ezreal, Quinn, graves, yi that have been running the show latelh

Don't get me wrong there are a couple of busted tanks right now, but I don't think they've been the strongest class for a while now
the game doesn't really have a class problem right now, it's individual champions and items that were left unbalanced in the fallout of the preseason

even keystones are decently balanced right now

Tanks just seem like they do a lot of damage because they are hitting squishy targets

This.

I don't get it, how are people complaining about Tanks like this? What are tanks supposed to do in their minds? Tanks have to be able to zone/ peel and bring some kinda utility to the team as well as suck up the dmg ... you're not gonna be able to zone the Backline/ ADC/ Mages who are made outta jelly and don't build tank if you can just sit ontop of them and they don't die. Without dmg there's no real threat other than some kinda CC locking them down (which is Thresh and Blitx thing, they zone champs outta fear that they're gonna get hooked into a gang bang more so than the thought that "this champ can solo kill me"). Ranged dmg dealers have the up side to being able to dish out huge dmg from a range, if they can't use that advantage than it's not the tanks fault they get blown up by someone rocking one melee dmg item but is too tanky for them to melt.

Why should a tank not be able to kill someone who doesn't build def items and is naturally soft?

That's kinda my only confusion with Juggernauts/ Garen. As Garen my only CC is a single target silence in melee range. But I'm tanky as fuck and can dish out dmg. It's a combo that basically makes me a tanky pick ASN cause either the team focuses on me, allowing my team to close in on them or they ignore me and I spin them to death as they fight my team and allow me to sit ontop of em.

Anyway, I'm seeing why people REALLY want solo. It's annoying as all hell to be put with a premade sometimes. From their echo chamber toxic shit (I played top tonight and was killed twice by the enemy. 2nd time the jg Rango sees that it was close so he comes in at half health after I'm dead and he dies ... then proceeds to blame me. I tell him that was his fault, he and the Fizz mid try to get the enemy team to report me for being toxic and feeding. He falls way behind in levels and blames me cause he can't farm in his jg anymore) to clear lane bias from either side. It's all very annoying.

Maybe the way to fight back is with your own premades :/

jerd

i'd say he's more like viktor than azir but yeah, he doesn't have the lane safety azir has but he still has the self-peel and he has the ability to get back to lane faster than probably any other midlaner and he'll also be able to splitpush

i don't think he'll be super op on release but his kit kind of does everything so that's kind of troubling already

he looks fun and since azir hasn't been fun for me in a while and viktor's olafed he's a new challenge to learn

the game doesn't really have a class problem right now, it's individual champions and items that were left unbalanced in the fallout of the preseason

even keystones are decently balanced right now

Yeah I'll buy that just generalizing I guess. I'd say adcs are op but that's because of certain individual adcs I think more than their items or the meta or whatever. Warlords is being toned down a bit but warlords/fervor seems to be an actual decision right now

Black wind there was a probably legitimate tank problem a while back I think maybe before you started playing where every team was 4 tanks and an adc or worse 4 tanks and a sivir and it seems like ever since then everyone hates strong tanks more than strong anything else

garath

If kha goes from 47% win rate to pick/ban with a half second cool down buff then his kit is truly ryze levels of unworkable.

The NX "leaks" on gaming side have been the most fun things on GAF in a while. I love console launches

Eh. To be honest I don't think the khazix buff pushed him back into relevance. I stand by my statements that it's a very minor buff. The tiamat change back to cleaving on autos helped more. He can actually clear early game again with it.

I don't know if he's going to be pick/ban. The lux in my game certainly felt like it. But they had a pretty good team to play khazix against. And despite my running rampant on them, they bought like no defensive items.

Its not something I'd want to pick into all team comps for sure.

jerd

I really don't think they would be either. He does have a few things working in his favor though from the tiamat cleave to nerfs to runic echos which is a nerf to pretty much every top tier jungler

Average dmg dealt per game according to Champion.gg

Mundo: 22016
Lucian: 19833

Malphite: 18529
Master Yi: 18507

LeBlanc: 21104
Poppy: 20980

Clearly they are doing a ton of damage PERIOD. Tanks are supposed to soak damage, provide CC and protect carries NOT kill enemy carries in 2 seconds. Alistar is an example of a tank that is powerful and viable without contributing ridiculous amount of damage.

kenbo

Clearly they are doing a ton of damage PERIOD. Tanks are supposed to soak damage, provide CC and protect carries NOT kill enemy carries in 2 seconds. Alistar is an example of a tank that is powerful and viable without contributing ridiculous amount of damage.
ad carries dont look like they deal much pure damage because theyre hitting tanks and because most of them are single target

tanks also have a lot of random aoe too. sunfire is a big contributor to that. iceborns, mundo e, malph e the only relevant damage is the damage on the kill target

seriously these numbers dont tell you shit

patchday

oh wow.... We won but.... In lobby, my ADC is trying to pick Aurelion Sol. fortunately I had a ban, so I took that away from him asap. He freaks out and is asking me why.

I quickly reply, "I don't have to be nice to you. I just want to win. Go play mid if you want to be a dragon."

After that he finally settles on Trist and we won.

JulianImp

Dumbass adc telling me not to KS
and when I do avoid 'KS'
he doesn't even get a fucking kill and dies.

My rule is to try and get others to land the killing blows, but secure them first and foremost. Sometimes I screw up and kill people with, say, my hooks due to them being at very low health, but even that's better than them escaping or getting extra time to possibly kill or badly injure a teamate. I'm also slowly getting better at judging when it's a good idea to keep attacking and when I should leave clean-up duty to my teammates, which helps since it's always better than halting my attacks due to fear of "KSing" and having the enmy get away due to that (which will also make your teammates flame you).

Tizoc

Riven feeds Jax
Doesn't build FLAT penetration, and my team forgets how to bloody play mid game onwards
we lose top
they chase tf through mid and we lose bot to Guinsoo Jax

Just delete guinsoo already
Fuck this Guinsoo guy

I can only damage them for so long before u brainiacs KILL someone
It's not a matter of having a tank it's a matter of knowing how to fucking get kills and when to and not to engage

One time twitch and heimer were at drake
DRAKE AND RIVEN WENT TO BARON
WHAT ARE YOU DOING AT BARON
LET ME WARD BARON

I swear sometimes I'm teamed with idiots.

Leezard

One of the things is that for a tank to work; that is to be worthy of getting attacked, the tank needs to be enough of a threat. Typically this means that the tank has to put out enough damage, or that the tank has a taunt or just enough low cooldown cc to force the enemies to attack him.

Alistar is barely fulfilling this. After Alistar has used his combo, there is no reason to attack him for 10 seconds of so. You're often better off just running past him to attack someone else. If his ult is not up and you won't have time to do something more useful, sure, just attack the guy, but Alistar is just barely good enough as a tank in terms of forcing people to attack him. He has a malphite ult on a 10 second cooldown, but he's far from the same threat that malphite is.

If Mundo did not deal a lot of damage he would contribute nothing and not be a proper tank, the only reason people attack him is because he's a threat. Do keep in mind that a lot of his damage is aoe.

I'm not saying Alistar is bad, he's fantastic on the low budget that competitive supports have. Tanky supports do in general bring that cc without damage.

As soon as you want them to be viable top or jungle they're gonna build half-offensive items like sunfire and iceborn though, or they'll be near useless.

sleepykyo

The marksmen class has been pretty strong. Marksmen that weren't considered bot lane material have done great elsewhere. AP Ez last season. Quinn/Graves top. Quinn, Varus, Corki mid. Kindred, Graves jungle. Heck Graves was specifically rebalanced after he was too strong for the bot lane and the not worth using bot lane Graves still dominates top/jng just like crappy ADC Quinn is a great top lane.

No other class has been mandatory. No other class has dominated lanes to the same extent.

patchday

just played Mid in this ranked match and had so much fun. just like that I'm thinking to quit support role. Just felt like I had a lot more impact. Like I could carry anyone to victory

(Hm, looking at post game stats tho our Garen had 10/0/5 how could we have lost)

Hard

Banned
A good support player can make a big impact, but it's much harder to do so, because they have to impact the game in other ways aside from outright doing damage (tanking damage, peeling for carries, shields, heals, warding, etc.). That and the dependence on your ADC makes it rough if your partner isn't good.

If a good ADC has a bad Support, that ADC can still carry if he's good enough.

If a good Support has a bad ADC, well, it's gonna be a struggle.

I should play some more support in Ranked tbh. Braum is freelo.

EDIT: Zky with the 1000 posts. Gratzballa

Edwardo

Dumbass adc telling me not to KS
and when I do avoid 'KS'
he doesn't even get a fucking kill and dies.

I hold back just a tiny bit when its obvious adc will get the kill.

(Supporting aint easy right? Its stinky work but someone gots to do it.)

My rule is to try and get others to land the killing blows, but secure them first and foremost. Sometimes I screw up and kill people with, say, my hooks due to them being at very low health, but even that's better than them escaping or getting extra time to possibly kill or badly injure a teamate. I'm also slowly getting better at judging when it's a good idea to keep attacking and when I should leave clean-up duty to my teammates, which helps since it's always better than halting my attacks due to fear of "KSing" and having the enmy get away due to that (which will also make your teammates flame you).

Honestly, it even isn't really worth it to hold back most of the time. There are too many factors involved with knowing whether or not the enemy will escape if you hold back when They're in range for the kill. Help could be lurking in fog of war, any number of cooldowns could come up, etc. It really isn't a problem if the second carry aka support gets the kill.

A good support player can make a big impact, but it's much harder to do so, because they have to impact the game in other ways aside from outright doing damage (tanking damage, peeling for carries, shields, heals, warding, etc.). That and the dependence on your ADC makes it rough if your partner isn't good.

Yup yup. Though as an ADC, sometimes you do get a support so bad or lane against one so bad that you realize there is nothing you can do to win that lane.

By bad, I mean someone who is spamming Blitz Qs or Thresh hooks and missing by miles; Songs who dive in on full-health Braums without pinging me that they're going in and get blown up by the enemy ADC instantly; but these are few and far between.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah I'll buy that just generalizing I guess. I'd say adcs are op but that's because of certain individual adcs I think more than their items or the meta or whatever. Warlords is being toned down a bit but warlords/fervor seems to be an actual decision right now

Black wind there was a probably legitimate tank problem a while back I think maybe before you started playing where every team was 4 tanks and an adc or worse 4 tanks and a sivir and it seems like ever since then everyone hates strong tanks more than strong anything else

there are some adc items and some champions that need nerfing but i wouldn't say adcs as a class are op, specially the ones that go botlane (like lucian or kalista or whatever).

like they might be stronger than they should but it's not like a systemic issue like graves and corki crowding out other lanes are

damage dealt is a tricky stat cos each champion works different

assassins tend to not deal as much damage as mages because mages' damage is aoe and also less flat cooldown driven (as in, ori has her q every 2.4s at 40% cdr, as leblanc you're almost always gated by your ult, which has short cooldown compared to ori's but what leblanc does without it is much less than what ori does without her's).

similarly lucy is a really short range adc so his access to dmg isn't as good as someone like jhin or corki

both of them are on the bottom half of their roles

then you have the fact that tanks deal most of their dmg as aoe dot through sunfire and other things. that damage is always underestimated and always racks up big numbers. try playing a game with singed, the guy will be splitpushing all game, not ever kill anyone but still deal like 1.5x more damage than your mid. that's just how dots work, they have insane numbers (did u know malzahar's w dealt 6% of your max hp + ratios?) because people are just gonna be feeling it for 1 or 2s

so yeah i wouldn't say "tanks" are killing carries in 2 seconds. poppy needs less damage and nautilus need less damage. gragas needs less damage or less tankiness

but it's not like sejuani and sion are big problems right now

The marksmen class has been pretty strong. Marksmen that weren't considered bot lane material have done great elsewhere. AP Ez last season. Quinn/Graves top. Quinn, Varus, Corki mid. Kindred, Graves jungle. Heck Graves was specifically rebalanced after he was too strong for the bot lane and the not worth using bot lane Graves still dominates top/jng just like crappy ADC Quinn is a great top lane.

No other class has been mandatory. No other class has dominated lanes to the same extent.
that's just because of how league works, it's either champions like graves that are absolutely broken or then you just have the simple thing that if you can have what's essentially a mage like corki but he can also melt turrets then why wouldn't you pick that.

i don't have a problem with adcs being mandatory, i just wish i could kill them through maw and steraks, and i wish some of them were weaker (like corki and kindred)

holy moly zky

I'm at like... 140ish

wtf

i happen to love this game and this community a whole lot <3

also posting lewd fanart

tumblr_o4lirwwPkp1uehsklo1_1280.jpg

cheers

Leezard

It depends, a bit. Whether bot lane is won or not is typically more dependent on the support. If the support is bad the lane will most likely be lost hard, but the adc can and must afk farm for a while after laning phase in order to be useful later. If the adc is bad then the support must roam and have an impact on other roles. Deciding when you need to roam and when you need to go back bot to save your adc for something can be difficult.

It's certainly possible for the support to have a big impact on the game even if the adc is bad, it just won't be as obvious in most cases.

Top Bottom