• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT11| going

zkylon

zkylewd
Should have just expanded the chroma system and tied them to champ mastery.

Literally 15 minutes in MS paint.

Just ask Riot Jack Kanoff.
i mean, champ mastery by design is supposed to be pointless. it's just another bar to fill and feel good for filling, and that's mostly ok, i don't mind

i just feel it's dumb to tie it to the crafting system this way, there's zero benefit for the players from going this way

what is this
?

which part u want explained?

zkylon

zkylewd
champion shards?

oh ok

there's a crafting system in the works to be added to the game

basic concept is you'll get chests for playing the game that when opened drop shards that can be either for champions, skins or wards. shards are champion/skin/ward rentals that can be upgraded to full unlocks when combined with other shards or essences that u get for dismantling other shards

so basically u get a lux shard u can use it to play lux for free for 7 days, but u can also upgrade it with some essence or u can combine it with other shards for a random champion unlock or u can use it to raise the level cap on lux

there's a lot of dumb restrictions on how many chests u can get, and also how do u get the keys for those chests, but too complicated to get into right now

it's needlessly convoluted but it might mean that if u play a lot of champions you might get a few free champions/skins over the year

kenbo

nah its actually pretty simple

get a chest whenever you or anyone in your premade gets an S rank, but max 4 per month and only once per champion per year.

chests can contain 7 day rental tokens inside like wards, champs n skinz.

if you dont like something, you can turn it into essence which can be used to turn rentals into permanent stuff

keys for chests sometimes drop when you win games

JulianImp

So... if I ever wanted to play mid, which champions would be best at easing me into the role? I currently have Annie, Lux, Morgana and Lulu unlocked, but I've noticed I'm still not good enough at landing skillshots to reliably use Lux and Morg (which probably means that other similar champs such as Ahri and Vel are out as well).

If I had the chance I'd probably like to rock Azir, who has turret-ish elements like Heimer only infinitely more dynamic, but I heard he's considered a really hard champ to use well so I'll probably pass on him for now. The only ones I've kind of eyed for now are Heimer and Twisted Fate, with Xerath as a big maybe since I just checked his champion page and it looks like he's good at poking but has no mobility and relies on predicting his enemies' position for every single one of his attacks.

zkylon

zkylewd
ahri

and practice skillshots a whole bunch

key for both mid and support

I believe you get a chest when someone in your party gets an S as well right?

if anyone on your premade party gets an s then it counts as if u had gotten an s with the champion you're playing

so while u don't necessarily have to play well to get these chests (as in, u can just feed and get carried by ur friends), you're gonna have to play with many different champions if u want to have more than a few chests

JulianImp

ahri

and practice skillshots a whole bunch

key for both mid and support

I was actually considering her since I saw that you can kind of hit-confirm her charms before blowing all your spells on a combo (kind of like with Annie's stun strings, only beginning with a skillshot), and that ult is really fun to use and can be used to position yourself (say, to sidestep Yas' wall before charming), to chase and also to quickly escape when the enemy goes for you.

She's even part of this week's free rotation, so I guess I might take her for a spin outside of vs.Bot games and see how it goes (gotta hope I don't get paired up with too many mid mains).

zkylon

zkylewd
sort of

you'll often ult forward to pointblank charm to remove the ability of escaping from people

but it's a start

mid = skillshots tho

practice ur prediction skillz a whole bunch

JulianImp

sort of

you'll often ult forward to pointblank charm to remove the ability of escaping from people

but it's a start

mid = skillshots tho

practice ur prediction skillz a whole bunch

By the way, since normals now have a ranked-like system, which champions should I actively choose Ahri against, and which ones should I avoid with her? For example, I know Yas can be a real pain pre-6, but I guess once Ahri's got her ult she can just R around it and charm him anyway, making things much more manageable for her.

zkylon

zkylewd
pretty much everyone. ahri's 1v1 is positive or skill matchup against pretty much every champion

maybe don't pick her against lulu

yasuo is ezpz
lebonk and zed are tricky. if u can charm shadow/lb dash you're fine. they'll throw anyways
someone like malzahar might be annoying since u can't 1v1 them
lulu will kind of make u useless
kassadin might be difficult if u don't shit on him pre-6
anivia too cos she can force ur ult with wall and post-6 she can just ult e you for half your health no matter where you dash

zkylon

zkylewd
you should've watched jin air vs skt dude

trace making duke's life miserable by forever pushing the tahm kench with graves

don't try it at home tho lol

Moonlight

Banned
Is there anyone I should be following for good Ahri play? Preferably non-intrusive commentary and like, no green-screening themselves over the game or something. Everything I've found browsing through YouTube seems less than adequate.

Something for Poppy would be appreciated, too!

jerd

Is there anyone I should be following for good Ahri play? Preferably non-intrusive commentary and like, no green-screening themselves over the game or something. Everything I've found browsing through YouTube seems less than adequate.

Check out the YouTube channel Tekk. Has vods from a bunch of pros playing a variety of champs with commentary. All the videos are labeled as X streamer playing Y champ vs Z champ. All the games are labeled as common, rare, epic, or legendary depending on how well they played. You may have to scroll a bit to find what you want but he uploads ~10 or so vids a day.

jerd

So this is pretty long, sorry if it's intrusive, but the whole 3 hit passive thing has kinda achieved meme status and gypsylord was asked why he used them so much and i thought he did a pretty good job explaining it

First of all, why do I like three hit passives? Well, here's the deal. I am of the opinion that three-hit passives are actually a very brilliant design, and I was of that opinion from day 1 when I saw it on Vayne, the wonderful marksman by David "Volty" Abecassis. True damage, mmmm, great stuff. Basically, the reason I think three hits are so interesting is that they take a possibly boring pattern and give it a lot of tension and interest, and allow you to sell it very well visually.
Let's use an example, right, let's use Alistar's ultimate. Alistar's ultimate is a spell that I'm guessing a lot of players don't realize, gives him 50-70 AD when he casts it. When Alistar is in his ultimate, his autoattacks actually hurt -a lot-. But I'd argue there's actually a lot of players out there who don't notice about it, notice much about it. Out of the argument that it might actually be a good idea to give Alistar's ult a three-hit passive, and here's why, right.
If you have Alistar's ult and it says, every attack you do has 50 damage, you're gonna go up to someone, and you're gonna hit them three time, and each attack is gonna be slightly more powerful, and we can't really give those attacks special particles or anything, cuz they're all just the same attack, right. So you're gonna feel like meh, ok, I guess I get some more.
That said, if you go up to that person and you give them a three-hit passive that says, the third attack does 175 damage, and the first two attacks don't do anything, I think you get two wins there. First of all, the third attack is gonna feel great, it's gonna feel so freakin good, because you're gonna do a huge burst of damage, and we can sell it with particles, we can actually show like, we can add an extra sound, we can put particles in there like, look at Jax's ultimate, right, like Jax you get that really satisfying whomp when you hit a guy with the third hit.
So that feels really good and really exciting, but then, the other awesome part about a three hit passive, is the first and second hit, even though they do no damage, still feel really really good, because there's buildup and tension on them. Every single hit is getting you somewhere, it's getting you to your end goal of the third one, and so even though the first two technically "don't do anything", I'd argue they actually feel a lot better than the other two that they used to be where they just had 50 AD.
And so that's why I think three-hit passives are just a generally good mechanic that I actually really like, is, I know there's a joke that I put them all on my champions, but like, for me, the reason is it gives this character this extended combat pattern that has really cool interspersion of high moments, while at the same time making every single attack feel better, even the ones that don't get the burst of damage.
So, the second question was, do I think three-hit passives are overused, and I would say yes and no. Uh, the yes part is, I admit, I've made a lot of them, and we should be watching out to make more, because when you use any mechanic a lot, it starts getting stale and stuff. That said though, I would say that there's another argument that sometimes, when we see a mechanic used a lot, or like oh, that mechanic x is being used a lot, it's overused, we should never use it! And it's like, that's not always true, because there are some mechanics that should just be on everyone.
I'm not saying three-hits are that, I'm not gonna go that far, but let's say hyperbolic example, League of Legends shipped and about 25% of the champions had basic attacks. And the other 75% were mages and we said like mages don't have basic attacks. There's a world where we actually realized, wait a second, basic attacking is really fun, and really good for the game, we should put it on all the champions. And I assume in that world, a lot of people would say, well now everybody has basic attacks, that's really boring, but it's just like, some mechanics should honestly just be on more things, because they're a good baseline for you to build a game off of.
And so, I think one place we've done this a lot in the past is with % max health damage, we've kind of said like, actually this being a baseline for tanks is actually pretty good, because it gives them a lot of threat in a fight that we think actually makes their kits a lot more interesting and healthy for us to deal with. And so again I'm not gonna say three-hit passives are a baseline, that we should have, but imagine say, if most melee champions had them. I'd say it's possible that we actually might get a bit more interest in say the top lane melee on melee duels, because there's actually times in fights where if you get out, you've denied them a proc, right, and then if you go in and stay in for the right amount of time, you've succeeded in getting a proc. And interactions like that may actually create more interest in melee combat, which is something we've historically had trouble doing.
And so again, not saying three-hit passives are the future, but I am saying that generally with any mechanic, we should always be looking to say is this actually a mechanic we want to put on more things, and if it is, we shouldn't feel worried about saying oh it's stale. We just need to make sure we're doing it in the right way, and not like overusing something that shouldn't be overused.

Vid form for the lazy: https://youtu.be/CumLJ1Iy8_A

zkylon

zkylewd

watch like faker or something

there's no weird stuff to ahri, mostly managing ur and enemy cds and landing ur skillshots like any other mid

Tizoc

'bout to play my first ranked match as Zyra supp.
Wish me luck >_>

BTW what's that app that applies champion.gg itemization to the client again?
Forgot to download it last time it was mentioned ^^;

Leezard

'bout to play my first ranked match as Zyra supp.
Wish me luck >_>

BTW what's that app that applies champion.gg itemization to the client again?
Forgot to download it last time it was mentioned ^^;
It might be championify, if I recall correctly.

Hard

Banned
How do I repair client? I use championify and I have some old item sets from an old set builder from awhile ago that just sit there and be annoying.

Hard

Banned
RIP Shen in competitive, though in SoloQ he'll be good. The loss of his ranged Q means he'll get fucked by lane swaps.

That dodge crap is busted.

PSqueak

Banned
Last night i was talking with a buddy about the Poppy changes, mostly about how her new lore kinda sucks and i went to the site to check champions lores just to dee how dumb it all has become.

The first thing i noticed is, right now, in the site it shows Garen, Sona, Vi and Zed all dead as per the Jhin trailer, i thought it was a nice touch and i guess they're going to be disabled like Gangplank was when he "died".

Then, while checking Poppy, they quitely removed Tahm as her rival (while keeping Galio as her friend even tho he's out the new lore) and comically enough, Tahm's rival list is EVERY PLAYABLE YORDLE plus Fizz.

Fish man doesn't care about little people.

MMm dat Cait elf snake thing

lunar_wraith_caitlyn__patreon__by_songjikyo-d9omvx5.jpg

I don't think they can get away with disabling 4 champs at once for lore reasons

Free skin for Sona!

I don't understand Poppy's lore.

Seems like she's some long lived Yordle and according to her lore their culture lacked the structure and discipline she desired ... so she ends up being drawn to the human culture with their armies and stuff.

But Trist and Teemo are in Yordle military which makes me confused as to why Poppy didn't move towards that when she was just wondering around. Plus she doesn't seem to know either of them.

I didn't think too much about it and just figured that Poppy was from the past or something but I'm pretty sure I'm wrong.

PSqueak

Banned
I don't think they can get away with disabling 4 champs at once for lore reasons

GP was disabled for like 5 days only, i don't see why they'd not do it again.

I don't understand Poppy's lore.

Seems like she's some long lived Yordle and according to her lore their culture lacked the structure and discipline she desired ... so she ends up being drawn to the human culture with their armies and stuff.

But Trist and Teemo are in Yordle military which makes me confused as to why Poppy didn't move towards that when she was just wondering around. Plus she doesn't seem to know either of them.

I didn't think too much about it and just figured that Poppy was from the past or something but I'm pretty sure I'm wrong.

Yordle lore makes no sense, they're supposed to be "whimsical magical creatures" yet, of all playable yordles, only 2 of them are magical (veigar, lulu) and the majority of them are technology based (Heimy, Rumble, Corki, Ziggs, Tristana), they also supposedly go crazy if they are not close to other yordles, yet Rumble is a loner, Heimy lives in piltover and now Poppy is all about hanging out with humans. It's completely inconsistent. And Corki still hasn't been fixed to be furry.

Also, Poppy being from the past would be yet another overused yordle cliche, since they already got Gnar and Lulu (technically a 1000 years old) to cover that.

Well when they did that there was alot of backlash which makes sense. You dont just disable a champ from ranked just for some event. You cant do that in a highly competitive game.
Like think if you where playing cs-go and they just took out a gun, you just dont do that in a competitive game.

pigeon

Banned
Yordle lore makes no sense, they're supposed to be "whimsical magical creatures" yet, of all playable yordles, only 2 of them are magical (veigar, lulu) and the majority of them are technology based (Heimy, Rumble, Corki, Ziggs, Tristana), they also supposedly go crazy if they are not close to other yordles, yet Rumble is a loner, Heimy lives in piltover and now Poppy is all about hanging out with humans. It's completely inconsistent. And Corki still hasn't been fixed to be furry.

Also, Poppy being from the past would be yet another overused yordle cliche, since they already got Gnar and Lulu (technically a 1000 years old) to cover that.

In fairness, yordles are pretty whimsical about their huge mechanized army. The consistent personality theme is "lol let's blow this guy up with our future technology."

The biggest lore issue for yordles is really Teemo. Every yordle is either:

* Technologically advanced (Trist, Corki, Ziggs, etc.)
* An outcast from Bandle City (Lulu, Poppy, Veigar)

And then there's Teemo, who apparently lives side by side with an assault mech and an air force and fights with...a blow gun. What is this guy doing?

(Amumu and Gnar are also problems but only in the sense that they screw up the "yordles are aliens from outer space" theory by being prehistoric.)

Also, Lulu was kicked out of the yordle city because they didn't like her whimsical magic ... they really should take another crack at this whole lore thing.

Top Bottom