• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT11| going

killatopak

Gold Member
Assuming no running away and straight up killing each other. Then the tank should be able to kill the adc.

There are some variables like Vayne and Malph where the former could kite forever while malph could burst down and adc in a single spell rotation.

I don't personally think an ADC building full DMG should be able to let a tank sit ontop of them and not pay for their lack of kiting. Their pay off is that they're melee, ADC advantage is that they can kite with their range. If they suck at positioning or kiting then IDK why the tank should be hitting them with pillows. I think that's why we see so many mobile ADCs, they're safer to use than late game hyper carries who can't dash around.

A tank without any threat is just a ball of def that can be ignored.

I personally don't give a rat's tail about the woes of ADC champs when it comes to 1v1ing tanks that they allow to sit ontop of them. They're like the best off class with champs that can be in any lane and a decent bit of them have mobility. That plus BT puts them in a great spot. The really sad story is mages ... wtf are they supposed to do? I feel like AP items aren't nearly as strong as AD items, the best either cost too much or are designed in a strange way (not gonna build RoA again. Nope, tried it time after time and it's too much effort. Unless you get some kills in lane that shit takes 10-14 mins of hard core focus to make and it takes 10 more mins to be full powered where as your lane enemy is working on their 2nd or 3rd item that gives them power spikes right then and there).

Feel like Mid lane mages have to be busty as fuck to kill ADCs with their lifesteal and mobility. And at that point why not play an assassin?

I think that a solution to the whole hypertank thing would be to just get rid of tank DPS, not their damage per se. Gate them harder by cooldowns instead of giving something to fart every 2 seconds that keeps you around them long enough for their other cooldowns to be back up so they can do it again, compensate appropriately with stuff like stronger CC, damage to minions/monsters or more tankiness.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
I think that a solution to the whole hypertank thing would be to just get rid of tank DPS, not their damage per se. Gate them harder by cooldowns instead of giving something to fart every 2 seconds that keeps you around them long enough for their other cooldowns to be back up so they can do it again, compensate appropriately with stuff like stronger CC and more tankiness.
But thats why every manaless tank gets cd items.
Nothing will stop me from going Q-E-R ham on a adc as Garen.

But thats why every manaless tank gets cd items.
Nothing will stop me from going Q-E-R ham on a adc as Garen.
Honestly I don't understand why Riot refuses to not let some abilities scale with CDR anymore. Making some champions have to deal with their intended cooldowns would make some balance changes so simple.

jerd

I don't think garen is really what we're talking about in regards to tanks. Juggernauts or bruiser or whatever aren't really the issue

Neol

The tank still builds tanky

I mean if you are that far ahead while there carry is behind then yes they can 1v1 and be able to kill them not with burst but with constant DPS.

The problem with this scenario is that the only way I can see this happening is that the tank finds the carry by themself while there behind and catches them out. In that case yes the carry should die cause that person is just straight up fucking terrible at the game. It doesn't even matter if its a tank, if any champion catches a carry by themself while there behind then that's just the person at fault playing.

Ideally what your supposed to do if your ahead as a tank is to provide CC and pressure so that your carries can get gold and get ahead themselves. Ways of doing this is early towerdiving to put the enemy laner behind as well as giving gold to your allies whether it be kills or assists, help killing towers to provide global gold and forcing objectives since your presence when ahead is strong enough that you should be able to win a teamfight if there ever is one. If you are tanky splitpusher champ then you pressure one of the lanes to keep pushing so that they have to send someone to deal with it while you look for the easy 4v5 engagement.

zkylon

zkylewd
This is the last patch you'll ever see Kalista being used in pro play.
they played kalista a bunch the other day on na and eu playoffs and that was 6.7

jhin is getting nerfed and sivir is probably gonna get nerfed too, so i don't think she'll be falling off pro play completely

that's because of the difficulty of balancing a roster of 100+ different characters. building primarily tanky makes sense as a game concept. Building tanky and being able to solo 5 and 6-slotted carries is a different matter. Here were remain in League. Building tanky should buy you and your team time to get off critical spells, reposition in team fights, tank for damage dealers. It should not allow you to bulldoze through teams with heavy dps because your tanks with 5 defensive items deal almost as much real damage (that is damage that can be used instead of having to kite) as the enemy adc and their 5 offensive items.
tho obviously some champions are a big issue right now (like graves), i think it's a general systems and itemization issue rather than just a champion problem

masteries and items allowing champions to ignore some of their intended weaknesses is the big deal right now imo

grasp of the undying makes champions like nautilus and malphite and rammus super strong toplane when before they'd get bullied out of lane

the ms excess from dmp, swifties and runic echoes earlier this season gave champions like udyr ways to close the gap that completely negate his counterplay

zztop allows tanks to apply pushing pressure

maw, titanic, steraks, death's dance give survibability to carries and ad assassins that they were never supposed to get

earlier this season fqc and blue trinket removed the need to facecheck

etc.

so yeah i think general design wise the game is preeeeeeeeetty rough atm

Quonny

Taric looking less fabulous now.

Riot you better not fuck this up. I want my boy totes mcfabs.

xDcu1tA.jpg

NEVERMIND HES AWESOME

Neol

Well its just a teaser so don't expect the full reveal yet.

I have to say judging from the last two pages of the comic where you can see his face, chin shape, his physique and his long flowing hair he looks like a handsome beautiful man which is a good sign for things to come.

EDIT: DEAR LORD HE'S HOT

jerd

Ideally what your supposed to do if your ahead as a tank is to provide CC and pressure so that your carries can get gold and get ahead themselves. Ways of doing this is early towerdiving to put the enemy laner behind as well as giving gold to your allies whether it be kills or assists, help killing towers to provide global gold and forcing objectives since your presence when ahead is strong enough that you should be able to win a teamfight if there ever is one. If you are tanky splitpusher champ then you pressure one of the lanes to keep pushing so that they have to send someone to deal with it while you look for the easy 4v5 engagement.

Sounds like you just have a different philosophy than riot and you're unlikely to see that in the near future. Imo in your scenario tanks sound more like a nuisance than anything and a teamfight would just be a race to the enemy backline. How would a tank who is ahead provide more presence or pressure than a tank who is even with everyone?

The truth is somewhere in the middle imo. Individual tanks need some tweaking, but to say that a tank shouldn't do damage or shouldn't be a threat to a carry is ridiculous

Edit: Holy shit fuck this fuck tanks taric looks great

Quonny

I'm KappaPriding so hard. Taric was my first ever champion. I love everything about him. A confident man who knows what he loves. Gems. The redesign looks awesome.

Maybe a little too "World of Warcraft", but I love it.

JulianImp

Taric looking less fabulous now.

Riot you better not fuck this up. I want my boy totes mcfabs.

xDcu1tA.jpg

NEVERMIND HES AWESOME

I feel pretty... oh so pretty...

I haven't been around for long, but this sure looks infinitely better than Taric's current generic armored guy design with a gem gimmick.

Neol

Sounds like you just have a different philosophy than riot and you're unlikely to see that in the near future. Imo in your scenario tanks sound more like a nuisance than anything and a teamfight would just be a race to the enemy backline. How would a tank who is ahead provide more presence or pressure than a tank who is even with everyone?

The truth is somewhere in the middle imo. Individual tanks need some tweaking, but to say that a tank shouldn't do damage or shouldn't be a threat to a carry is ridiculous

Cause the tank that is even with everyone is squishier then the tank that is ahead therefore the squishier tank will die first in a teamfight causing the backline to be open for killing?

I'm not saying a tank shouldn't do damage, all champions should do damage, but the tank shouldn't be threatening cause he can kill people, the tank is threatening cause he/she can make it SIGNIFICANTLY easier for other people to kill.

jerd

Cause the tank that is even with everyone is squishier then the tank that is ahead therefore the squishier tank will die first in a teamfight causing the backline to be open for killing?

I'm not saying a tank shouldn't do damage, all champions should do damage, but the tank shouldn't be threatening cause he can kill people, the tank is threatening cause he/she can make it SIGNIFICANTLY easier for other people to kill.

Idk man. Naut, sej, and maokai all had the exact same cc before their reworks, which is a shit ton, and they were worthless. You just need more than cc in a kit now

he has maybe one of the most powerful ults in the game now

Didn't a rioter say something like sometimes super powerful sometimes not?

Quonny

Judging by that comment and his splash, I'm going to guess he's some kind of enhancer champion similar to Sona.

But not bad.

killatopak

Gold Member
With the way his kit works he'd get the most out of a duo lane, for reasons that will be apparent. Not sure if he'll work top, but people will try it!

also have a hi-res splash

those eyes and eyebrows.

Those lips that are smiling but aren't at the same time.

dat cleavage.

really digging him right now. The only thing I need is the actual gameplay of this guy.

Neol

Idk man. Naut, sej, and maokai all had the exact same cc before their reworks, which is a shit ton, and they were worthless. You just need more than cc in a kit now

All tanks were worthless at that time cause they were gold starved and didn't have comparable clear speeds to bruiser junglers.

Once again I'm not saying that tanks can't do damage. I would be lying if I said the Nautilus e buff was bad because it clearly helps him out immensely. But there is a fine line between being a tank that does constant DPS and a tank that bursts people down within 4 seconds.

Also if Riot wanted this then they wouldn't have reduced Sejuani's damage and they wouldn't have reduced the base damage of Maokai and Nautilus.

Top Bottom