• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT11| going

Newt

faec9eaed32ecaa6a97b56a725e26c89.png
I wonder who put that in.

Leezard

Lol new mage items look nuts

http://boards.pbe.leagueoflegends.c...3EB-planned-69-mana-x-mp5-x-ap-x-mr-item-pass

One of them has a 300 range dash as an active

Also basically confirms that the mymu is in 6.9 so sooner than we thought

These changes are huge.

More active items are a good thing.

Athenes is now a support item and an alternative to Mikael's when you don't need that CC-cleansing.

edit: removing spellvamp is probably for the best as well. It's typically neutered since it's always broken on Vlad. Catalyst changes allow mana-dependent mages to do something similar.

killatopak

Gold Member
Is it really a frozen heart there as a component with no armor on the resulting item?

Edit: didn't read the recipe. It was catalyst.

Leezard

For any active item with a dash, imagine trying to kill Ahri, Ekko, Fizz, or Katarina when they have the item. Horror.

I wonder if it won't be more effective on less mobile champions. That said, they will be hard to chase.

Annie's engage range just increased.

At least the Bami's cinder component means it won't have big offense in stats I guess.

jerd

I'd imagine the item will be balanced around the fact that it gives dashes to champs that shouldn't have one, so likely not very gold efficient and wouldn't be worth it on already mobile champs.

Like buying rylais on someone like ekko. The stats are nice but you already have 12 slows in your kit you really don't need your E to slow too

I wonder if it won't be more effective on less mobile champions. That said, they will be hard to chase.

Annie's engage range just increased.

At least the Bami's cinder component means it won't have big offense in stats I guess.

I'm fairly sure that bamis is a misprint. The description says kindlegem and it gives cdr

jerd

Last time we gave mobility to immobile champs we called it righteous glory and everyone built 4 cinderhulks and whichever team got sivir won

I'm so fucking excited

zkylon

zkylewd
hmm, pretty interesting

it feels like athenes is just not a good option for a midlaner anymore with those numbers, that's like a bunch of mana regen lost and at 40 ap your clear is gonna be rough

morellos is not enough mana (400 mana is enough for about 3 lux e's), so you're gonna have to do tear every game. morellos+roa is hard to imagine being too good on a pure mage since you have a decent mana pool but no real way to regen it

the other items look pretty op, 30s cooldown is probably gonna be too short to have an extra flash and the dmg on both that and the ice bolts thing is pretty big for whatever you use it, clear, assassinate, etc.

abyssal nerfs are super welcomed since that item is super dumb. new version seems like it's not really worth it anymore compared to some of the other items. cheapear zhonyas is nice, and i see the cooldown nerf as a way of nudging it in a direction that's a bit less about just countering zed

i'm curious what fiendish codex looks like now, is it still giving you mana regen and you lose it when u upgrade to morellos and zhonyas? or is it just like a tiny cdr thing

overall i don't think it's that big of a change, you get one less item slot as a mage now that you have to dedicate to tear but you get rewarded with cdr everywhere which i guess is cool.

the flash item is probably gonna be broken on some champions like annie so cautiously optimistic about that

I'd imagine the item will be balanced around the fact that it gives dashes to champs that shouldn't have one, so likely not very gold efficient and wouldn't be worth it on already mobile champs.

Like buying rylais on someone like ekko. The stats are nice but you already have 12 slows in your kit you really don't need your E to slow too
uhh i'm not sure about that, these are early stats but that item looks pretty cost efficient

80 itself is worth like 1700g, on top of the cdr and hp it's probably pretty close to 100%

so yeah basically you'll buy it for the dash

but the most powerful spell in the game is a short range dash that's on a 5 minute cooldown so like, i expect to see it built as last item on pretty much everyone unless you're a zhonyas champion/are against zed

basically i see builds being like: tear+morellos+sorc shoes (lucidity are back to crap on mages)+deathcap+void staff and then you have one slot for either rylais, zhonyas or flash thingie.

i'm surprised no changes to ludens echo, the item feels kind of worthless if you're gonna be a slot short now

Joco

Some of these Chinese splash arts really stand out like a sore thumb. And all the Sivir ones are a bit too anime-ish for my liking.

Some of the Chinese ones are better, though.

jerd

Been trying to figure out, is your avatar from Justified? That's one of my favorite shows ever but I don't remember Walton's hair ever being that short in it.

Looks like season 1 maybe, when he is out in the woods with his group. I think his hair started short and grew longer as seasons went on--until of course it hit SSJ levels.

zkylon

zkylewd
i feel like mages are gonna be a lot stronger just off price reductions and the new flash thingie

i feel like the flash thingie is gonna be a really strong item for junglers like elise and nidalee to rush after runic echoes, maybe

also if fqc doesn't get any changes i wonder if fqc+athenes will work on like lulu

Joco

Been trying to figure out, is your avatar from Justified? That's one of my favorite shows ever but I don't remember Walton's hair ever being that short in it.

I'm pretty sure it is. I've been a fan of Goggins for a while, especially as Boyd. Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to tell you when as I haven't watched the show since it ended.

Edit: As Vincent said, I think it might be when he's out in the woods with his group.

Leezard

hmm, pretty interesting

it feels like athenes is just not a good option for a midlaner anymore with those numbers, that's like a bunch of mana regen lost and at 40 ap your clear is gonna be rough

morellos is not enough mana (400 mana is enough for about 3 lux e's), so you're gonna have to do tear every game. morellos+roa is hard to imagine being too good on a pure mage since you have a decent mana pool but no real way to regen it

the other items look pretty op, 30s cooldown is probably gonna be too short to have an extra flash and the dmg on both that and the ice bolts thing is pretty big for whatever you use it, clear, assassinate, etc.

abyssal nerfs are super welcomed since that item is super dumb. new version seems like it's not really worth it anymore compared to some of the other items. cheapear zhonyas is nice, and i see the cooldown nerf as a way of nudging it in a direction that's a bit less about just countering zed

i'm curious what fiendish codex looks like now, is it still giving you mana regen and you lose it when u upgrade to morellos and zhonyas? or is it just like a tiny cdr thing

overall i don't think it's that big of a change, you get one less item slot as a mage now that you have to dedicate to tear but you get rewarded with cdr everywhere which i guess is cool.

the flash item is probably gonna be broken on some champions like annie so cautiously optimistic about that

uhh i'm not sure about that, these are early stats but that item looks pretty cost efficient

80 itself is worth like 1700g, on top of the cdr and hp it's probably pretty close to 100%

so yeah basically you'll buy it for the dash

but the most powerful spell in the game is a short range dash that's on a 5 minute cooldown so like, i expect to see it built as last item on pretty much everyone unless you're a zhonyas champion/are against zed

basically i see builds being like: tear+morellos+sorc shoes (lucidity are back to crap on mages)+deathcap+void staff and then you have one slot for either rylais, zhonyas or flash thingie.

i'm surprised no changes to ludens echo, the item feels kind of worthless if you're gonna be a slot short now

Fiendish codex never gave mana regen.

Leezard

Re: the mana/mana regen divide.

Riot said they wanted flat mana to be more of an offensive stat and mana regen to be more of a supportive/defensive stat,

Remember that even if 400 mana is 3 Lux Es, you have extra time to regen mana with your base mana regen during the time you burn through the 400 mana.

Tear is one thing to buy, but I doubt that everyone would want it.

Blue buff is going to be more important after the update I think.

zkylon

zkylewd
just doing some math

lux at lvl 9 has 11 base mp5

you're gonna want to do at least one e per wave, so that's at least 130 mana every 30s you're spending

so you'll regen like 60 per wave vs 130 you'll be spending just to clear it, at the very least (you'll probably spend more like 200 or 250 since it's often down to two e's or a combination of q for last hitting and shield for tanking harass to reach the casters).

you'll have like 1k mana with morellos, so idk, you can burn through that really fast on someone like lux, syndra or ori

maybe morellos+icebolt thingie, i can see the icebolt thing being crazy good for syndra, and that's 400 more mana which sounds like a pretty good chunk to draw from

Leezard

just doing some math

lux at lvl 9 has 11 base mp5

you're gonna want to do at least one e per wave, so that's at least 130 mana every 30s you're spending

so you'll regen like 60 per wave vs 130 you'll be spending just to clear it, at the very least (you'll probably spend more like 200 or 250 since it's often down to two e's or a combination of q for last hitting and shield for tanking harass to reach the casters).

you'll have like 1k mana with morellos, so idk, you can burn through that really fast on someone like lux, syndra or ori

maybe morellos+icebolt thingie, i can see the icebolt thing being crazy good for syndra, and that's 400 more mana which sounds like a pretty good chunk to draw from
That's good. Let's consider your example.

400 mana means 3 Es, but during the time you use your 3 Es you regen ~180 mana, which means you still have a net 190 mana before you're touching your "base mana". You get one more E, and regen 60 mana for 120 net mana. One more E and you're at 50 net mana. So by buying 400 mana and using one E per wave, you get at least 5 Es before you run out of your bought 400 mana. That's not touching using 3 spell-combos, but I wonder whether you would run out of mana first with mana regen or flat mana. Mana regen will win in time, but flat mana could give you time to use your full combo one more time before you run out.

Over time you will still run out of mana, sure, but it's not that bad. Flat mana is better than you'd think.

The time when you got Athenes and never had any more mana issues seem to be gone though.

zkylon

zkylewd
it's kind of hard to compare cos you don't build morellos on these champions, you build athenes (which is also more expensive)

athenes is like 11 more mp5 + 2% of missing mana per 5 and the kill/assist stuff

just 22 mp5 is about 120 mana per wave, so that's almost a free e per wave. if you're at least one e down your mana that's like 2 more mp5, but it'll usually be more, you'll generally be at the 60% mark or something and that's a lot of regen

i think athenes wins out pretty big, but it's also almost a tear's worth more money

overall it's as you say, you can't just sustain forever just with one item. now you gotta dedicate two item slots if you want that, and if you're someone like syndra you might just have to buy tear to function, not sure

jerd

Is the meditation mastery the same tier as the execute one? I wonder if that would be worth the exchange now that %mana regen will be more efficient

Leezard

it's kind of hard to compare cos you don't build morellos on these champions, you build athenes (which is also more expensive)

athenes is like 11 more mp5 + 2% of missing mana per 5 and the kill/assist stuff

just 22 mp5 is about 120 mana per wave, so that's almost a free e per wave. if you're at least one e down your mana that's like 2 more mp5, but it'll usually be more

i think athenes wins out pretty big, but it's also almost a tear's worth more money

Yeah, sure. It's going to get tougher than before to manage your mana, I agree. Blue buff is going to become more important. I thought people still used to build Morello kinda commonly, though.

I think that if you're really mana hungry and go for the 1.5% missing mana per 5 it should be all right since it scales with your maximum mana.
Is the meditation mastery the same tier as the execute one? I wonder if that would be worth the exchange now that %mana Regency will be more efficient

Yes. If you're really mana hungry it might be worth it.

zkylon

zkylewd
i'm not really against the idea, but it's pretty different and i feel it may make assassins too strong cos you can't really poke them out anymore unless you risk building tear which opens you up pretty bad. tho i guess they kind of destroyed abyssal for lane so it evens out

it's also left to be seen what changes champions will have

like syndra right now needs a pretty huge mana pool cos she has to q like every 2 seconds, but maybe with her rework she'll have a higher cooldown or whatever

zkylon

zkylewd
thoughts:

- catalyst: sounds pretty cool, probably gonna be an assassin item that you can build into icebolt, but i can see it built on syndra and ahri too

- tear: doesn't sound any different, but i can see it being pretty huge on like kassadin

- chalice: the passive sounds dumb and i don't even know when or why i would buy it. i'm gonna average it and think you have roughly 50% hp5 and 50% mp5 and i guess that's pretty decent for lane if you're trading often

- lost chapter: i like it, forbidden idol felt like a bad pickup and this solves it. hope it builds into more things

- morellos: if it keeps the lost chapter passive i think it's pretty ok, if not it's alright too, but it's not gonna be enough to upkeep most mages

- athenes: sounds kinda crappy even on like lulu. you have roughly 30 ap in gold to spend with the price cut but morellos is also cheaper and it kept its ap so i'm not sure where these items are. the mr is still strong so i'm guessing it'll be decent enough for fighting but you'll feel the weaker waveclear

- spell vamp stuff: good decision, spell vamp always warped champion balance and even if i kind of loved buying wota on syndra i'm ok with it going away.

- gunblade: dunno if gunblade is currently core on kayle but seems like it will be

- flash thingie: sounds broken on ryze, lizzy, annie and maybe really strong on the ap junglers like gragas and elise and nidalee. i kind of feel like this item is gonna be built on almost everyone every game, an extra flash makes towerdiving, splitpushing, dueling, creating picks, self peel, everything much easier. the range is a bit shorter tho and it has a travel time, so maybe it won't be that great. honestly, i wouldn't mind buying it every game, this thing sounds super fun.

- icebolt thingie: i like the active and i like the stats as a complement to morellos. not sure who exactly i'd build this on, depends on the range of the active and how much some champions need tear, but everyone can use an extra slow and dmg. i imagine this being kind of cool on ahri for setting up charms or just boosting your dmg, tho she might like the flash thing too

- roa: not too exciting, but it being cheaper is probably a good idea, as well as it giving less mana. now you can use that money towards a tear and start hyperscaling earlier on like anivia and cassiopeia and stuff. i don't like hyperscalers because they take so long to ramp up so this will probably make them a bit more fun for me

- zhonyas: they did the change i said they should do a long while ago (i think i literally said 3k, ap nerf, extra cdr and nerfed cd). it matches zed ult cd so that's a tiny buff to him i suppose. i like the changes cos they make it less of a bitch to build and make it just a better laning item overall. zhonyas is much better, they should've done this change in the preseason

- abyssal: also good changes, this item needed a big nerf since i was building it on pretty much everyone lately. it's kind of like a gragas/amumu item now, i don't think mages will want to build this since it doesn't help clear all that much and it never really scaled that well either

overall positive changes, nothing too insane outside of the flash thingie, and i'm looking forward to the champion changes and what they do to blue buff

Leezard

Athenes in general seems like mostly a support item for when Mikael's is not a good choice.

Karma, Nami and Lulu will like it occasionally.

kenbo

Actual Supports wont do enough damage to take advantage of the passive

support mids like lulu and karma will able to be use it well

it also sounds like maybe riot will push one/some of the stationary mages into a support mage role like lulu/karma (ideal candidate is lux, rip zkylon) since right now there isnt a huge field of support mids

kenbo

wtf when did Ryze become OP again? I can't keep up with that champion's balance any more. He's like a one rotation burst mage now or something.

pro play balance is very different to pub games

they have their own metagame

hes also pretty strong against tank tops

jerd

Ryze needs an ammo system

Or something like heat but call it like magic juice or something

Ammo would be cool though like you can combo people but only if you haven't cast any of your spells for a while

Leezard

Actual Supports wont do enough damage to take advantage of the passive

support mids like lulu and karma will able to be use it well

it also sounds like maybe riot will push one/some of the stationary mages into a support mage role like lulu/karma (ideal candidate is lux, rip zkylon) since right now there isnt a huge field of support mids

It's based on premitigation damage, so it should be fine. Even Nami W deals around 400 damage (with two instances of damage) pre-mitigation, which is ~60 extra heal. It also seems to apply to auto hits.
Karma and Lulu even in a support role should be able to deal with it fine, too, due to the premitigation damage. That's provided Lulu supp will be better than it is right now though, of course.

I don't think it will become a must-buy, but in situational uses it has potential.

Soraka and Janna probably won't use it, of course.

kenbo

Ryze needs an ammo system

Or something like heat but call it like magic juice or something

Ammo would be cool though like you can combo people but only if you haven't cast any of your spells for a while

thats the most anti ryze thing ive heard

plus why do we want nasty burst for no effort

I give you a mastery system A-

Happy lewdday, zky
New Passive: Gain 15% of premitigation damage dealt to champions as Blood charges, up to 100 to 270 (based on level). Healing or shielding another ally consumes Blood Charges to heal that ally.
Oh hey, something I'm gonna buy on Soraka and make people miserable with

Banzai

I only care how those changes will affect Twisted Fate. So many new things to try out. That little dash could be great for that one extra gold card.

Top Bottom