• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT11| going

patchday

ah it must be a new seasonal mode right?

Tempted to boot up LoL to check but alas, I gotta get on this Dark Souls grind

I already beaten Demons' Souls, Dark Souls, and Bloodborne. But never started up DS2.

zkylon

zkylewd
Sure, they are quite different. You can use zzrot to set up a slow push as well though, or to defend against super minions for a short time. You can definitely get towers through the use of a banner cannon minion as a split pusher too.

The thing that makes it less effective for supports is that defensive stats carry over from the user, which is fine, I think. If everyone starts buying it then there's probably an issue. If a support or jungler occasionally buys it for more side lane control it's fine I think.
occasionally yea, i just think turning the item into a support/jungler thing is a bad direction for it imo

you don't want people that are not farming minions to have such strong wave control

it's the same as making a laner item that makes you strong against jungle creeps or whatever

What if Zz was made a consumable? Pay 500-1000 Gold, get the active and no stats - you're now incentivised to defend it as if it gets killed you have to waste money on another one.

I guess lategame having no item slots would be an issue...

the problem is that it could create a situation in which your team buys 3 or 4

i imagine it'd be totally broken on competitive

i'm for more consumables with strong effects like that (i think ohmwrecker active should be a consumable), but i think that's not the right way for zztop

Maybe zz'rot could make a large, really slow lumbering monster on a longer timer that could still push the wave but gave lots of time to react. Or maybe zz'rot can only be cast on turrets, still standing or destroyed, and it creates a gross tentacle that is insanely good at killing enemy minions at tower, effectively halting the progress of the minion wave for a period of time.

What I'm getting at is the concept of an item that gives the buyer the freedom to hold their lane while they go elsewhere is good, the current implementation is what sucks. Killing a big monster or a huge tentacle would be much more satisfying than having to click on those little voidlings.

Also, Riot should take a different approach to lots of these "utility" items.

Step 1.) Create the item and give it really strong base stats
Step 2.) Let the item percolate for a few patches, continue improving base stats until it's a must buy.
Step 3.) Once the item is bought by everyone and they understand how best to use it, nerf the base stats hard and reinforce the utility of the item.

That last step is missing. They're nerfing the base stats hard, but leave the utility the same (i.e. Righteous Glory). This game is stat driven. For players to buy into an inefficient item the utility has to be out of this world.
yeah, i agree, but "out of this world" utility has often been frustrating to play against, so i'm guessing riot has trouble walking that line

zkylon

zkylewd
ahri_by_adrybsk-d9ybpk0.png

also have an ahri

Blizzard

Banned
the problem is that it could create a situation in which your team buys 3 or 4

i imagine it'd be totally broken on competitive
Portal was already this way I think. Even if it wasn't any good, in silver you'd see 3+ on a team, and Riot themselves mentioned in the patch notes that people were buying it all over the place.

Portal was already this way I think. Even if it wasn't any good, in silver you'd see 3+ on a team, and Riot themselves mentioned in the patch notes that people were buying it all over the place.

I just built it on a trundle top. I find it better when I want to solo carry. Most of the time I'm such a pain they have to send someone to fight me, so dropping it in mid and pushing top can cause some real problems.

On that note almost S2 now! The struggle is real. Funny chat below.

ewXpOAH.jpg

BONUS LIVE REACTION TO CHEST OPEN!

wmm5Byl.jpg

giphy.gif

garath

Speaking of Kha, I wanna try jungling with him again. Where do I start in the jungle? Do you kill smaller creeps for isolation against the big one, or just focus on the big one?

I tried frog->blue and golem->red but I die eitherway. I was trying to follow the win% build on champion.gg but I'm pretty much near dead after 2 camps if I take the refillable potion + talisman.

You have to kite a little to do an effective clear with khazix. If you do it right you can do a full clear before backing with the refillable pot and talisman.

Kill the little guys first unless it's the golems and you are getting a leash. After killing the little guys, kite back and forth for cool downs with attack move. Frog->blue is the easiest start.

Watch nightblue do it once and you'll get the idea.

Leezard

occasionally yea, i just think turning the item into a support/jungler thing is a bad direction for it imo

you don't want people that are not farming minions to have such strong wave control

it's the same as making a laner item that makes you strong against jungle creeps or whatever
Yeah I agree, I think it's kinda fine as-is where it is primarily a top laner item. I don't see a need to move it towards junglers/supports.

Yeah I agree, I think it's kinda fine as-is where it is primarily a top laner item. I don't see a need to move it towards junglers/supports.

Same. The only people I see rocking it on a jungler are guys like Trick2g. Those guys know how to play around it.

Unless your like the wannabe Trick in my game who built it second item and never dropped it. Christ silver is a mess.

Joco

Guinsoo's and devourer are so ridiculously overpowered in combination. Just played 3 games (granted, in normals) with Jax and Yi and completely wiped the enemy team. I'm almost going to be a little sad when Riot comes down with the nerf hammer.

I'm also regretting telling my 12 year old brother I play this game. Now he does and whenever he plays he's usually top with me jungling and he constantly pings for a gank whenever anyone comes into his lane. Like bro, handle that 1v1 yourself lol.

Newt

Man playing against some Namis recently made me realize that although she isn't stronger, her kit is probably less healthy than Soraka.

Point and click harass is the worst.

drawkcaB

It's a perfectly healthy kit.

Healthy doesn't mean not frustrating, healting doesn't mean it can't punish you, healthy doesn't mean that it isn't capable of doing many things. Healthy means that when necessary Riot can nerf the champion appropriately without sending them to the gutter. If Nami ever need to be nerfed there's many, many ways to go about depending on what is specifically too strong.

Leezard

Man playing against some Namis recently made me realize that although she isn't stronger, her kit is probably less healthy than Soraka.

Point and click harass is the worst.

Sounds like someone got out traded in lane. :^)

Soraka promotes passive low-risk play in lane, Nami promotes aggressive high-risk play in lane.

Guinsoo's and devourer are so ridiculously overpowered in combination. Just played 3 games (granted, in normals) with Jax and Yi and completely wiped the enemy team. I'm almost going to be a little sad when Riot comes down with the nerf hammer.

I don't think they are going to nerf it as much. It needs a nerf, but that item has already been through the nerf cycle, pus it fits Rito's desire for faster games.

Also when are you hitting sated? If you do it before 13 mins then they are asking for it. After 20 the item starts to lose out against tanks.

Newt

Sounds like someone got out traded in lane. :^)

Soraka promotes passive low-risk play in lane, Nami promotes aggressive high-risk play in lane.
She doesn't really promote high risk play. You can play her that way but nothing prevents spamming W behind minions, and that's usually enough to win lane. The only reason she's not played more is because she's super unreliable during fights.

She has a similar problem to Sivir in which she can just decide to be completely uninteractive in lane.

Leezard

She doesn't really promote high risk play. You can play her that way but nothing prevents spamming W behind minions, and that's usually enough to win lane. The only reason she's not played more is because she's super unreliable during fights.

She's a really strong laner, that's how it is. You won't get poked down enough only by W spam to lose lane by more than 10-20 cs or so unless you're doing something wrong though, there has to be some more autos which starts the risks. It's up to you and your support to position properly to force her to take larger risks, too.

Newt

She's a really strong laner, that's how it is. You won't get poked down enough only by W spam to lose lane by more than 10-20 cs or so unless you're doing something wrong though, there has to be some more autos which starts the risks.
Yeah of course Es and Autos are thrown in too. She doesn't have the same kinda of risks that say Sona has.

Like her balance is just super strong lane and unreliable/weak teamfight. I dunno, I think it could be better.

zkylon

zkylewd
BwPn1iB.png

i don't think i've ever had as shitty a score haha

ascension is actually kind of fun, very mindless beating each other until timer stops

glad it's only like a weekend tho, any more time and metas would form and ppl would ruin everything

zkylon

zkylewd
nami lane is a pretty agressive lane, it's just that she has a backup option in case things go awry in being safe as a sustain support if needed

it's actually much better than most supports

Newt

I'm not complaining that she's strong or anything because she isn't. She just really frustrating to lane against. Maybe even more so than Soraka.

23qwerty

Yeah I played against a Teemo in ascension, that was kinda annoying

played Illaoi for the first time in it too, had no idea what the fuck I was doing or was supposed to be doing. She's pretty fun though

Ascension might be my favourite game mode. Super fast paced, no shitty minions to cock block your spells/movement.

Then some team picks Tahmn Kench, Darius, Poppy, Malphite and Mundo and you realize some people just don't enjoy having fun.

drawkcaB

Looks like we have our first victim of Riot's awful defensive item balancing. Give it up for Poppy everybody! See you in a year once Riot gets around to it.

jerd

BwPn1iB.png

i don't think i've ever had as shitty a score haha

ascension is actually kind of fun, very mindless beating each other until timer stops

glad it's only like a weekend tho, any more time and metas would form and ppl would ruin everything

Completely agree. Super chaotic. I've been having a ton of fun with it but I'm sure that'll wear off quickly. Rotating queue may be pretty cool after all.

Luigi87

When you have one of those days where three matches in a row you get at least one player who feeds so hard (around 10+ deaths by 20 minutes...)

... Worst is one of them was a Jungler Voli, who started Devourer, then sold it for Cinderhulk... and then eventually rage quit.

I keep struggling between Silver 4 and Silver 5 -_-
... Waaaaaaaaaaaaay too many players in this elo who ignore objectives and "omg I can get a kill-wtf i died?"

Mind you I never rage at anyone in games... ever... I just have a lot of

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Topic Taric is pretty fun. Sadly countered by Trundle but still fun.

Top Bottom