• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT11| going

remist

I've decided to dip my toes into ranked and do some placement matches. How does it decide who to match you against initially? I've been against silver players the first two and I'm feeling a little outmatched.

jerd

I've decided to dip my toes into ranked and do some placement matches. How does it decide who to match you against initially? I've been against silver players the first two and I'm feeling a little outmatched.

I want to say you start out at Silver 5ish mmr and go from there. It changes pretty rapidly if you didn't play last season so if you're getting outmatched the first few games don't sweat it, you should end up close to where you should be pretty quick

faridmon

We won, very close game, Thresh was... kind of terrible. BUt they had Yi and he was really fed. It was tug of war where they won and a team fight and we won the other. In the end, that Yi was stupid, Initiated, I exhausted him, stood in the middle for him to attack me, our MF just ulted his ass.

Thresh is actually one of the worst solo q supports.

hmm, interesting didn't know that

Newt

Everyone starts out playing in Silver V.

faridmon

I am not saying I am good, but I honestly don't know how to play good when my adc is awful.

If I play safe, then their adc is gonna farm good and dominate us mid game, if I play aggressive , then our adc is gonna die.

Just played with a Lucian who didn't know how to use his ult. Missed most of his.

I honestly don't know what to do.

EDIT: also I tend to fluster when we we are behind and make more mistakes. I tend to build crazy and just plain forget to buy pinks for example, maybe I should learn how to remains calm.

Jarsonot

Silver V base. I think the highest you can get is Gold V (if you 10-0).

I'm pretty sure you can get G1

So apparently W max Caitlyn is a thing now?

????

But I've seen streamers get Plat 5 on a fresh account.

You can get up to Plat I. I did last season.

I bet it uses more than just your win/loss, maybe your score as well? Like 10 S+ wins are better than 10 D+ wins?

Newt

I am not saying I am good, but I honestly don't know how to play good when my adc is awful.

If I play safe, then their adc is gonna farm good and dominate us mid game, if I play aggressive , then our adc is gonna die.

Just played with a Lucian who didn't know how to use his ult. Missed most of his.

EDIT: also I tend to fluster when we we are behind and make more mistakes. I tend to build crazy and just plain forget to buy pinks for example, maybe I should learn how to remains calm.
You just have to try to play independently of them. You won't be as effective overall though.

Congrats, you just discovered why I don't play bot lane anymore.

Just lost a match in the dummies way. Our Sup AFKed at level 11 and our Rammus Jg kept trying to 1v3-4 the enemy team and do dragon solo when we're all dead. Also Ekko top kept getting picked out doing silly shit.
It was stupid, these mistakes allowed them to drag out the match and we could never group.

Ferga

Play a support with hard cc. Buy boots on the first back and roam before you return to lane. You carry harder when you roam.

I don't know why support players torture themselves when their ad suck when you could be supporting a different lane.

I've had supports run top to kill and push down a turret because the adc suicided at the early levels.

Random support ganks in solo lanes tilt a bunch of players.

faridmon

and I just won a game

I think I know my problem. I just re-adjust my play style to the adc I am supporting and also I do a lot of mistakes once we are behind.

Need to remains calm.

Play a support with hard cc. Buy boots on the first back and roam before you return to lane. You carry harder when you roam.

I don't know why support players torture themselves when their ad suck when you could be supporting a different lane.

I've had supports run top to kill and push down a turret because the adc suicided at the early levels.

Random support ganks in solo lanes tilt a bunch of players.

I do try to roam, hence why I build booby boots, but If I leave my adc then he gets into trouble and blames me. which makes me tilt even more.

Also when I play a champ with hard CC, Like Morgana or Thresh, I miss my skillshots

:/

I need to be gut i guess

faridmon

You just have to try to play independently of them. You won't be as effective overall though.

yeah, I have been told that I won't be a good supp unless I help the adc farm and get kills. Having an independent mentality is sort of hard since I am used be stuck with adc.

Just lost a match in the dummies way. Our Sup AFKed at level 11 and our Rammus Jg kept trying to 1v3-4 the enemy team and do dragon solo when we're all dead. Also Ekko top kept getting picked out doing silly shit.
It was stupid, these mistakes allowed them to drag out the match and we could never group.

I don't whether Its Bronze thing or EUW thing, but I rarely have trouble with AFK. and certainly not any rage quits yet.

When I read you guys talk about afks in ranked games I am just bemused by it.

It happens in Normals, but not that often.

jerd

yeah, I have been told that I won't be a good supp unless I help the adc farm and get kills. Having an independent mentality is sort of hard since I am used be stuck with adc.

I don't whether Its Bronze thing or EUW thing, but I rarely have trouble with AFK. and certainly not any rage quits yet.

When I read you guys talk about afks in ranked games I am just bemused by it.

It happens in Normals, but not that often.

You generally still have to choose opportune times to roam. And it wouldn't hurt to tell your adc what you're doing. Yeah they should know not to 1v2 but odds are they won't. You also don't want to just randomly roam without a goal. That'd be the same thing as a jungler hovering around an ungankable lane when there are camps to farm. If you're just randomly running around the map you're only costing yourself gold and xp

when you hand in 3 shards, the random skin you get doesnt care about the value of the cards you gave away

Oh. I thought you were talking about turning skin shards into permanents with orange essence.

Boneclaw Shyvanna came with Infernal Nasus I unlocked using orange essence.

jerd

Oh that's still going on? Yeah i redeemed my DT Tristana shard and got pool party Draven. Swimming I skins for my least played role

Best advice with a bad carry? Communicate and keep them alive. Let them know you want to sit back, farm, and play it safe. Your goal with a losing lane isn't to turn it into a win---it's to keep the loss as minimal as possible. That way when midgame hits and team fighting begins, you've done your best to keep their ADC from absolutely rolling your team. It's not great, but it's the best you can try to do.

And you know...sometimes you just don't mentally click with an ADC. Maybe they're fine, but together you don't mesh well. I play Support a lot, and I do my best before minions spawn to let them know my playstyle, and how I'm going to play the game. "I'm going to be in their face. Be ready for aggressive face stomping" or "Let's sit back and play this one safe." Etc. etc.

I don't know what supports you play with, but I always recommend Zyra to people when they get fed up with dealing with ADCs who can't hang. She is great at zoning, which lets your ADC farm easier, and at level 6 she has some high kill pressure. Her teamfighting is also pretty great and you will usually end up being one of the highest damage dealers in the game.

Her ult also makes playing with a Yasuo on your team a little less annoying since her knockup is stupid hard to mess up.

killatopak

Gold Member
I've always found it weird that there are some good silver players who could play their champs very well but fail to rise in ranks.

I guess there are more factors to it than being good at a certain champ.

Ferga

My Vayne loses tower so she solo pushes to their turret and dies to Eve.

Ok. Fine.

Spawns, does it again.

Ok. I'm a bit tilted.

Spawns, does it again.

Ok. Put up surrender vote. Doesn't go through.

Spawns, does it again.

Come the hell on. Grow a brain.

I forgot this guy's summoner name so I didn't dodge.

He did exactly the same thing in my last game.

Watching him tumble into a 7/1 lucian to 1v1 only for him to die in 2 spells was sad to watch.

In the lobby our JG ask how to JG ... says they never did it before or someshit. Told him he should practice in a bot game first before walking into a PvP game blind like that.

Didn't feel like dodging, was hoping someone would do it instead of me but they didn't.
That's likely why this game was so damn loooooong. I legit saw him just AFK randomly in the middle of a lane ...strange.

I became damn near unkillable at the end. Didn't pay too much attention to my build after 40mins but I'm guessing that the double lifesteal was part of it (Hell, I was behind Poppy in the laning phase because their mid and JG kept ganking top. Our LB just romed far too much so no one was watching Mid a lot of the time. That shit got flipped once I got my Vampire thing to build into RH. Looking at the stats I almost healed as much as Raka and I took more DMG than anyone by a fat mile)

Also, I completely forgot I had FM and kept wondering why people I was attack were prema slowed lol!

Anyway, got Twitch from the hextech boxes ... think Imma learn him and play him mid.

twitch mid? Are you sure? He's traditionally played bot lane and jungle.

Yeah, I feel like his Q makes him one of those ADCs that can manage a solo lane buuuut I faced one top as Garen and feel that Top is too important of a lane to roll the dice on like that (He just annoyed me for 15 mins and lost the game 0/5. I don't think he's great against tanky tops)

Leezard

Yeah of course Es and Autos are thrown in too. She doesn't have the same kinda of risks that say Sona has.

Like her balance is just super strong lane and unreliable/weak teamfight. I dunno, I think it could be better.

It's a good old lane bully lane, except she is every bit as squishy as Sona and it's possible to punish her every mistake.

But yeah, if Nami is playing well and her adc is not significantly worse than her opponent it is possible to win just about every lane matchup. Most are just up to skill matchups though. Sona is instead very matchup-dependent but when she has a good matchup there is no skill necessary; shes just binary.

I think it's ridiculous to compare her to Soraka who is uninteractiveness defined. It's better since her rework but still bad.

I get it that you find it frustrating to lose lane to Nami, but you should know that there are things you and your support could do better to win that lane.

jerd

Yeah, I feel like his Q makes him one of those ADCs that can manage a solo lane buuuut I faced one top as Garen and feel that Top is too important of a lane to roll the dice on like that (He just annoyed me for 15 mins and lost the game 0/5. I don't think he's great against tanky tops)

I think you're still leveling right? In which case you can do whatever and make it work but stuff like twitch and garen mid will eventually get punished pretty hard. Twitch top was a thing once upon a time but would be suicide against ekko, maokai, etc top laners of today. It will prob be kinda tough to survive a lot of mid laners who even if they don't kill you will likely just shove you to tower and go double kill your bot lane.

Especially normals tho you can literally do whatever and make it work just fine. Personally I'm jungling galio tomorrow when I get home and I'm pretty sure it's gonna be awful but that's not stopping me

Newt

It's a good old lane bully lane, except she is every bit as squishy as Sona and it's possible to punish her every mistake.

But yeah, if Nami is playing well and her adc is not significantly worse than her opponent it is possible to win just about every lane matchup. Most are just up to skill matchups though. Sona is instead very matchup-dependent but when she has a good matchup there is no skill necessary; shes just binary.

I think it's ridiculous to compare her to Soraka who is uninteractiveness defined. It's better since her rework but still bad.

I get it that you find it frustrating to lose lane to Nami, but you should know that there are things you and your support could do better to win that lane.
The ways you counter a Nami and the ways you counter a Soraka are pretty similar. I don't see why it's an unfair comparison. As I said earlier, Nami would be in a similar position to Soraka in terms of champion strength if her teamfighting wasn't so unreliable.

Leezard

The ways you counter a Nami and the ways you counter a Soraka are pretty similar. I don't see why it's an unfair comparison. As I said earlier, Nami would be in a similar position to Soraka in terms of champion strength if her teamfighting wasn't so unreliable.

The difference is the level of the interaction. Nami will interact much more and do riskier plays; to harass she will put herself in a position and range so that she is susceptible to jungle ganks and lane all ins. Soraka will stand back and be a healbot and not much more.

If you can't find opportunities to exploit that then you and your support are probably playing too passive.

Newt

The difference is the level of the interaction. Nami will interact much more and do riskier plays; to harass she will put herself in a position and range so that she is susceptible to jungle ganks and lane all ins. Soraka will stand back and be a healbot and not much more.
Soraka still has to run up and use her Q. You have to land Qs on Soraka to do well.

You don't seem to understand though, I have no problem winning games against Nami.

All I'm saying is that her laning patterns are strikingly similar to Soraka. I don't think she's OP, I don't think she's even remotely strong.

Leezard

Soraka still has to run up and use her Q. You have to land Qs on Soraka to do well.

Her Q has longer range than Nami W, barely any mana cost and low cooldown. The longer range alone makes it much safer.

You don't seem to understand though, I have no problem winning games against Nami.

All I'm saying is that her laning patterns are strikingly similar to Soraka. I don't think she's OP, I don't think she's even remotely strong.

You've been saying her kit is less healthy than Soraka, which is ridiculous unless you really enjoy passive lanes.

Soraka's rework did make her pattern slightly more similar to Nami in that she has to hit more Qs, that I can agree with.

My ranked placements have been crazy this year. Win-Loss-Win-Loss-carry on. And we either get obliterated, or we obliterate the enemy team. There has been no middle-ground.

Newt

Her Q has longer range than Nami W, barely any mana cost and low cooldown. The longer range alone makes it much safer.

You've been saying her kit is less healthy than Soraka, which is ridiculous unless you really enjoy passive lanes.
Okay saying her kit is less healthy than Soraka is a bit of an exaggeration, but I still don't think it's too healthy.

Secondly, the movement speed you get after using W makes it a pretty safe ability. It's also point and click unlike starcall. Starcall misses pretty often.

Anyways the only reason why I'm bringing up Soraka in the first place is because I feel like Soraka and Nami share a lot of similar issues. I guess a lot of it boils down to the ability to heal.

When you have one of those days where three matches in a row you get at least one player who feeds so hard (around 10+ deaths by 20 minutes...)

... Worst is one of them was a Jungler Voli, who started Devourer, then sold it for Cinderhulk... and then eventually rage quit.

I keep struggling between Silver 4 and Silver 5 -_-
... Waaaaaaaaaaaaay too many players in this elo who ignore objectives and "omg I can get a kill-wtf i died?"

Mind you I never rage at anyone in games... ever... I just have a lot of

It doesn't get better. You get better though. What you need to do is pick one or two very solid champs that could take mid, top or jungle. You'll get one of these lanes.

Choose a champ for the matchup, but choose one you know. I'm not saying you have to choose Yorick into a Teemo, if you have the experiencing with malphite instead, choose him. Another thing I look at is what makes your champ useful in your team comps.

In most instances your really shouldn't pick Mundo. He's a strong frontliner and harrasser. That doesn't make him a great initiator or someone who can get to the line and deal with carries. Plus he is easily countered by one ignite. He also causes issues for the rest of the team comp. His team either need to be able to initiate without him, or need to have the poke to deal with the enemy from afar. Mundo however has a fairly strong lane phase.

Champs like Trundle are super strong right now, because the bring utility to the rest of the team. An attack speed steroid, a targeted slow/block aoe and a debuff. There are few situations where he would not be viable in a team.

I feel Nami is more frustrating to lane against. Her E and heals can feel so oppressive. Soraka is strong in laning, but what makes Soraka truly frustrating is teamfights (in my opinion).

I've been riding the freelo train of Soraka, Zilean and Sivir. Finally back to Plat 1. I haven't decided if I want to keep going or not. Diamond 5 players are the worst humans I've come across in League.

Newt

I feel Nami is more frustrating to lane against. Her E and heals can feel so oppressive. Soraka is strong in laning, but what makes Soraka truly frustrating is teamfights (in my opinion).
Good that someone understands.
I've been riding the freelo train of Soraka, Zilean and Sivir. Finally back to Plat 1. I haven't decided if I want to keep going or not. Diamond 5 players are the worst humans I've come across in League.
Can confirm.

Leezard

Okay saying her kit is less healthy than Soraka is a bit of an exaggeration, but I still don't think it's too healthy.

Secondly, the movement speed you get after using W makes it a pretty safe ability. It's also point and click unlike starcall. Starcall misses pretty often.

That is fair, but Starcall has half the cd, half the mana cost and longer range. It's ok to miss it every now and again. You don't need to hit more than 1 in 3 for her laning phase right now.

Nami is more reliant on harass to get her opponent low since she wants kill pressure, while Soraka kinda just wants it to regen some health and get stronger heals. That alone makes their lanes a lot different.

I get what you mean though, you don't like lane bullies. I take it you don't like Caitlyn either?

Newt

I'm fine with Caitlyn. I'm not sure where you got this weird idea in your head that Nami is some sort of pick that you go with if you're looking for kills. Like Nami I suppose meets the bare requirements of CC to go for duo lane kills, but she's not geared towards that at all.

I know I'm talking about your most played champ and that you're gonna have some bias but now you're being ridiculous.

That's like me saying "oh Draven is great pick against gap closing assassins because his E can interrupt most dashes".

On the topic of Caitlyn, do you think Caitlyn is a kill lane champion?

I think you're still leveling right?

Nope, I'm level 30.

And I'm aware of match ups, no worries there. I don't "just" take Garen Mid for no reason, I do it as a counter pick if I see that the enemy is running Viegar mid cause I even though I can pretty much blind pick Diana into most mids I don't like dealing with his shit as Diana and I've found that Garen does great against him. Same with Vel, I'm finding that I prefer to play as him when I see and Azir mid and I'm thinking of using him when I see Donger Mid (I've tried finding a good pick against The Donger for so long. Closest I have seen was Syndra and even that sucks once my W spamming makes me go OOM at some point. My Diana is far better at dealing with him but it's super annoying to lane against with her). I try to pick things that go well with the team comp (if for some reason I don't wanna play Diana) or w/e makes the laning phase non-head pounding for me (If I'm late in the pick order).

So no, I don't plan to blind pick strange picks. But if I like him and think he can deal well with a certain lane enemy then it's gonna happen. (I'm thinking about picking either Trist or Jinx into The Donger seeing how they normally make short work of him robots when they swing mid)

That's part of why I don't like Top as much as I could. Toooo much rides on picking into the enemy and if I'm not atleast 3rd on our pick list I prep for a dodge. Like "Oh, I'm 2nd pick and I picked Trundle and their 3rd pick pauses for a few secs and counter picks Teemo into a melee AA based champ with no gap closer and only 1 skill that can DMG at a range? I guess you thought I wouldn't dodge a 20+min headache but you're wrong cause that's what's gonna happen"

Leezard

I'm fine with Caitlyn. I'm not sure where you got this weird idea in your head that Nami is some sort of pick that you go with if you're looking for kills. Like Nami I suppose meets the bare requirements of CC to go for duo lane kills, but she's not geared towards that at all.

I know I'm talking about your most played champ and that you're gonna have some bias but now you're being ridiculous.

That's like me saying "oh Draven is great pick against gap closing assassins because his E can interrupt most dashes".

On the topic of Caitlyn, do you think Caitlyn is a kill lane champion?
It's clear you don't get how the lane works, then. Nami wants to harass so that every bubble has kill pressure. Not every lane will work out that way if your opponents are playing well, but that's the way you want to play. If you don't play the lane aggressively there's no point to the pick; just pick Janna or Soraka instead.

Caitlyn is not a kill lane, no. She will harass to the point she has kill pressure though. There's a huge difference between harass into kill pressure and kill lane.

Newt

There is no point to pick Nami. You seem to understand.

She's not this super aggressive champion you make her put to be. Yes, she can push advantages and go for kills, but it's hardly a requirement.

Top Bottom