• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT11| going

I would love to give it a shot, but I feel getting back into Diamond 5 after a year hiatus would take too much time for the amount of applicants applying right now. Also the fact that I haven't played for a year, although I'm sure I could pick champions up again quickly and items after having a little more time spent with them... I can probably send you some analysis on someone like, Yorick, and how he wouldn't fit in many ways with todays meta(Since he's unchanged more or less compared when I played), and possible fixes to his current kit(Although he really needs a rework, so maybe Yorick isn't the best analysis) or give a look at a new champion by looking at some high level players playing them, if you'd be willing to give me a shot knowing my crackled history on here~.

I would definitely love to work at Riot. They've definitely done alot of positive things that I used to criticize(Like fix the homogeneous ADC game, where now various ADC's can build different things compared to each other and not be hurt by it), but in ire of some other companies with bad balancing(Bungie and their 'global philosophy' of balancing PvE and PvP 1:1 without giving regard to how a nerf in PvP affects PvE) has actually been my focal critique lately.

Lemme know if you'd like to hear an example analysis of any character you want. I'll look at some recent videos of high level play of those characters, see various match ups, parse the information from various ranking sites that list out sites, and write out something for you.

They've hired pro players before, but not directly like this before that I remember.

If you are genuinely interested, you should do the exercise they want instead of a cover letter. However, you should do it based on your own experiences with the current meta, balance etc. and not based off streams or data from sites that's not 100% accurate.

Instead of a cover letter, we’d love for you to answer the following questions:

• Pick a champion that you find frustrating to play against:
  • What is it that you find frustrating?
  • How does this frustration relate to the champion’s intended strengths/weaknesses?
  • Where/why does this champion fail to display their strengths/weaknesses ?
  • How would you change the champion to address the frustration while maintaining the intended strengths of the champion?
  • What would some side effects be of your suggested change?

Being brief and concise is highly valued - a few paragraphs at most.

I'll always be willing to have a look at stuff from serious applicants. If you really would love to work at Riot though, you'd have to change your (perceived) attitude to a lot of things, honestly.

Reddit post from a rioter I thought was interesting. I wonder if reddit was less abrasive a community if rioters would be more active on there :/

There's such a thing as too much communication. I'll bring up Bungie again. For the latest update(Which I went full rant and overboard lol, and got banned for 5 days) they had 3 1 hour streams over 3 weeks to parley the information. The update itself takes about 2 hours to totally complete.

The update was worse for it. It was a situation where less info would've been more beneficial, if they just came out and said 'Oh by the way here's a trailer and tomorrows update, enjoy'.

Communication is great. Too much of it can give the wrong impression to a community. Like they should always be there to answer you. And when they don't, it's because the communicator is being bad and deceitful.

Riot puts out consistent updates. They are by far, one of the companies with the most and best communication. I feel that anymore than they do would give that wrong impression, give people these misleading expectations of what Riot is there for, not that Riot is trying to be misleading, but that parts of the community might think they are.

Communication is good. Too much of it, from a company to a community about a product the community enjoys might hurt in the long wrong, if only because it's an extremely large community Riot is dealing with. Millions upon millions of people, and some of them are bound to get angry. The key is a right amount of communication, parsing out the right sentences with the information needed to be conveyed.

Bungie for example, needs to learn from this. Riot has definitely had much more experience over the years communicating with their fans and players compared to Bungie having to take a forefront within the last 2 years for a massive project like Destiny.

I'll always be willing to have a look at stuff from serious applicants. If you really would love to work at Riot though, you'd have to change your (perceived) attitude to a lot of things, honestly.

It's definitely my schtick here. There are people with thought out responses, and I can do that, but I like to take the cathartic slant to it, but I can definitely change that working for a company. Chances are I'd be too enamored with the company to have time to go on rants on forums lol.

If you are genuinely interested, you should do the exercise they want instead of a cover letter. However, you should do it based on your own experiences with the current meta, balance etc. and not based off streams or data from sites that's not 100% accurate.

Hrm. I'm not Diamond 5 currently though(Nor have a played in a while, but I have followed along with the updates), but I'll definitely give it a shot. I'd really love to talk about Swain, I could talk Swain hours, but if it's a champion I find frustration with..

Calvero

Banned

Give me a year to climb to Diamond :)))

Reddit's an interesting beast. It's great that there's a community of really dedicated players that are quick and willing to provide feedback, even if a lot of it isn't actionable. Sometimes it gets pretty hard to read though.

There's such a huge lack of trust there, with a lot of people that just believe we're plain liars. It definitely makes me feel a bit down. I think the Rioter is right that there are just people out there that have just made up their mind, though a lot of the time it's our fault (solo queue communication etc.)

Mostly it's a motivator to continue to ensure that we're doing our best for players and getting a bollocking from Reddit can be a wakeup call if we stray from the track, but some of the vitriol and hatred towards Riot can be hard to read. Just gotta keep doing our best though and keep trying to make things better.

normally, nothing. however this one is literally just a walking sex object. no personality, no reason to exist beyond that. I pity any team that decides to work on her. She would never get made with our modern standards for design, but eventually she'll have to exist and have a reason to beyond just "fuck, idk. Dominatrix or something?"

Really?

Cause I think it would be a damn gift wrapped treat to work on her. She has no personality, not back story, no nothing but "Sexy sex object Dom lady" so .... you can do SOOO MUCH to flesh that out/ dial it back all you want. And I don't think anyone would give a fuck cause right now she can barely be called a character.

I personally wanted her to be reconned into being a Yordle who was corrupted by the void. Just ... boom, take away all Dom stuff and turn her into something like LoZ TP Midna, a cute asshole chibi that you gotta love cause she's got charisma. But I know that's a terrible idea cause it will upset the 5 Eve mains out there. But characters like her are so common it's easy to find an example that could work. Just treat the champ with some level of respect and dignity and they can be sexy all they want.

I like the new art, if that's the direction they wish to take her VU then that's fine. Would have liked something very different from what we have seen in other female champs though.

JulianImp

Looks like what I was speaking about just happened. I went to play a ranked game, but then the guy assigned to bot waits until the last second, picks Malz and says "I'm going mid".

Best thing is he told our mid (who intended to pick Fizz but it wasn't his turn yet) "If you pick Fizz it's because you're bronze", so I just terminated my League client.
I'm at Bronze IV.

I got DJ Sona by rolling 3 skin shards into a permanent. Ty Rito, too bad I don't play that boring character. Well at least it's better than any of the shitty shards I had, I didn't actually expect them to give me one of the three most expensive skins for free so there's that.

Just out of curiosity, how many orange essence pieces do you need for that (or any ultimate) skin?

Nekofrog

Banned
Looks like what I was speaking about just happened. I went to play a ranked game, but then the guy assigned to bot waits until the last second, picks Malz and says "I'm going mid".

Best thing is he told our mid (who intended to pick Fizz but it wasn't his turn yet) "If you pick Fizz it's because you're bronze", so I just terminated my League client.
I'm at Bronze IV.

you should wait and see if anyone else is going to dodge before you do. just let the timer go down until you have to dodge.

faridmon

I got DJ Sona by rolling 3 skin shards into a permanent. Ty Rito, too bad I don't play that boring character. Well at least it's better than any of the shitty shards I had, I didn't actually expect them to give me one of the three most expensive skins for free so there's that.

brb

Buying dat DJ Sona skin

garath

Karma. Had a toxic poppy top just get everyone down trash talking every time someone makes a mistake. Pro tip, telling someone they are bad when they make a mistake isn't going to encourage them to rebound.

For all his trash talking he ended as one of the worst. Acted as if he was invisible. Sigh.

Really?

Cause I think it would be a damn gift wrapped treat to work on her. She has no personality, not back story, no nothing but "Sexy sex object Dom lady" so .... you can do SOOO MUCH to flesh that out/ dial it back all you want. And I don't think anyone would give a fuck cause right now she can barely be called a character.

I personally wanted her to be reconned into being a Yordle who was corrupted by the void. Just ... boom, take away all Dom stuff and turn her into something like LoZ TP Midna, a cute asshole chibi that you gotta love cause she's got charisma. But I know that's a terrible idea cause it will upset the 5 Eve mains out there. But characters like her are so common it's easy to find an example that could work. Just treat the champ with some level of respect and dignity and they can be sexy all they want.

I like the new art, if that's the direction they wish to take her VU then that's fine. Would have liked something very different from what we have seen in other female champs though.

Firstly, that's not the VU direction. She will get a full VGU at some point and her splash will be changed when that happens.

And in regards to working on her, I think characters like Evelynn are pretty hard to work on. Total blank slate... that has fans. How do you retain elements of a blank slate that still appeases the people who enjoy playing her. I think it's more difficult that it would appear.

You could exercise all your creative freedom on a blank slate and go overboard. If you remove everything about the character, now matter how bad it is, you pretty much delete the character.

I think there's an opportunity to do more of that, and maybe Evelynn is a candidate for complete overhaul, but even if the end product is better there's still people who really won't be happy. Karma is an example of that. Much better than old Karma in visuals, gameplay... everything. But it was a different character and Karma fans felt betrayed.

It's definitely harder to work with a champion like that. With no anchors to pull from where do you even start?

Interesting challenge though.

zkylon

zkylewd
i don't think eve is such a blank slate tho

i think the biggest problem with eve is that invisible assassin gameplay is totally garbage (rengar) so she's forced to be a bruiser and an invisible bruiser just doesn't feel thematically consistent

Reddit post from a rioter I thought was interesting. I wonder if reddit was less abrasive a community if rioters would be more active on there :/
i'm not sure how much more active they are on their own forums, but i'm guessing the whole forums upgrade they did had the intent of decoupling themselves from reddit and it just didn't pan out, not entirely at least

honestly riot deals with criticism better than any other games company but they make a ton of mistakes also

i'd love if they had other channels of interacting with their community, the podcast is pretty cool and i've been enjoying it a lot (it's pretty funny/sad listening to the preseason podcast now and how they thought people would switch keystones every game lol) and the big posts on their forums, including q&a and prerelease info stuff like meddler on mage update are pretty nice too, even tho i find navigating right to the dev posts super annoying, but they should maybe do some live twitch stream q&a, or maybe more of those rito pls blog posts, or just some very curated q&a's on the state of the game, idk.

communicating so much through reddit is risky i guess

wish xypherous posted here or something so i can fangirl out over ori

Newt

Karma. Had a toxic poppy top just get everyone down trash talking every time someone makes a mistake. Pro tip, telling someone they are bad when they make a mistake isn't going to encourage them to rebound.

For all his trash talking he ended as one of the worst. Acted as if he was invisible. Sigh.
Yeah, if winning is the goal trash talking is completely pointless.

And in regards to working on her, I think characters like Evelynn are pretty hard to work on. Total blank slate... that has fans. How do you retain elements of a blank slate that still appeases the people who enjoy playing her. I think it's more difficult that it would appear.
Not really. Focus on a few things that are key to Eve and go from there. Long gone are the days of Trundle and Karma where Riot just went ham with changes, just look at how well recieved the Poppy rework was.

Basically keep her invisibility, her overall visual style - blue succubus with a weird hairdo - and her aggressive personality and everything else is gucci. Eve is straight up the first champion I ever bought in this game and was for a long time my main, I literally don't give a shit about her kit besides the invisibility and maaaaaaybe Hate Spike just because mashing buttons is fun.

zkylon

zkylewd
eve is kinda like yorick and to a degree urgot

what makes her special kind of has to go or be drastically changed to be an acceptable part of the game

and then they have fantasies that aren't really supported by the game

you can't micro your ghouls with yorick and you can't be an invisible ap assassin, those things don't really align with how league works

in both cases they'll meet it half way i guess but it's a pretty difficult task

and man is that splash awesome, i kinda don't want them to change her now

I really wish they would redo how the microing works in league, because if they did they could do alot more with that in the game.
I'm going to upset if Riot gets rid of Eve's perma stealth. I love that about the champion.
Yeah that is her main problem tbh, like perma stealth is hard to balance and it is also the main part of her identity. So either sion level rework or just kinda leave her as she is.

Eve hasn't been an AP assassin for a couple years now. Hell, the only time she was that was during S3 when she was reworked.

I'm all for removing burst altogether from her kit, but the stealth absolutely cannot go anywhere. Also put her back in a lane because that's the best place for someone with invisibility to be.

Quonny

I really wish they would redo how the microing works in league, because if they did they could do alot more with that in the game.

I'd be fine with this but I personally would never touch a micro heavy champion.

Shit like Meepo, Chen, Enchantress...too much for me to handle.

JulianImp

you should wait and see if anyone else is going to dodge before you do. just let the timer go down until you have to dodge.

Ah, the prisoner (or rather martyr)'s dilemma... Being at Bronze IV I don't care who takes the LP loss anyway, and the whole "get someone else to dodge for you" mentality doesn't ring true for me.

Nekofrog

Banned
the problem i have with eve's perma stealth is the unhealthy way it forces people to play the very early stages of the game

you literally have to just wait until she shows somewhere (anywhere) on the map before you can even think about trading like you normally would

if you shut her down to the point where her possibly being in your lane isn't a problem anymore, then it's back to lego legends as normal. like, at least i can ward my lane up against a normal jungler. the recourse vs eve early is pretty unfair. even when she's just "ok" in the meta, an eve pick forces the tempo of the early game to slow waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down or you play into her hands.

23qwerty

Ah, the prisoner (or rather martyr)'s dilemma... Being at Bronze IV I don't care who takes the LP loss anyway, and the whole "get someone else to dodge for you" mentality doesn't ring true for me.

For the first dodge sure, but second dodge is 10 LP and half an hour wait time :/

Newt

Queue times so long for diamond 5 :(.
74232b4f1d15ee9407a2faaf25c7807f.png

JulianImp

Yeah i dont think a heavy micro champ would fit into league, but i just dont want it to be super weird and awkward.

The one thing I like about champs like Yorick and Urgot is that people label them as cancer, since I find that funny. It kind of reminds me of old saltybet slang such as refering to particular fighters as potatoes, mexican or terrorists.

However, I'm apalled by Crabgod's new splash, since it looks even worse than the previous one IMO. The picture needed more historically accurate Japanese warriors such as Yas and Shen about to fight him. A player once told me my Crabgod was ugly as hell, but I guess I should think in an Urgot way and take that as a compliment instead.

the problem i have with eve's perma stealth is the unhealthy way it forces people to play the very early stages of the game

you literally have to just wait until she shows somewhere (anywhere) on the map before you can even think about trading like you normally would

if you shut her down to the point where her possibly being in your lane isn't a problem anymore, then it's back to lego legends as normal. like, at least i can ward my lane up against a normal jungler. the recourse vs eve early is pretty unfair. even when she's just "ok" in the meta, an eve pick forces the tempo of the early game to slow waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down or you play into her hands.
That's why I think Eve needs to be designed to be a laner. Stealth is way easier to handle if the champion can be accounted for, so if she's MIA you might not be able to see her but you know to be wary in the foreseeable future, when she's in lane you're safe.

Just in time for the swain train

Hint Ur gonna hate the changes probably

If it's a number buff it'll be fine. If it's a change to the Torment % and the numbers, where the % damage compensates for the lower output, I'll be fine. I always rocked AD runes on Swain anyways for the laning phase.

See, maybe I'm stubborn, but I always found Swain fine. I always made him work. With these mage item buffs, some which especially will be extremely appealing to him(The item which makes damage>mana, mana>Health) will be ludicrous on him.

No, I won't hate the changes. Riot can try all they want to nerf Swain. But they can't nerf the Monster. No matter how much they try, what they take from him, Swain is and always will be.

Firstly, that's not the VU direction. She will get a full VGU at some point and her splash will be changed when that happens.

You could exercise all your creative freedom on a blank slate and go overboard. If you remove everything about the character, now matter how bad it is, you pretty much delete the character.

I think there's an opportunity to do more of that, and maybe Evelynn is a candidate for complete overhaul, but even if the end product is better there's still people who really won't be happy. Karma is an example of that. Much better than old Karma in visuals, gameplay... everything. But it was a different character and Karma fans felt betrayed.

It's definitely harder to work with a champion like that. With no anchors to pull from where do you even start?

Interesting challenge though.

Glad to hear that, hopefully illiosillos and Jinx are signs that the art team wants to branch out with body types for humanish women and that's reflected in her update.

I feel like the core to Eve, her true identity and what people play her for, is her passive. Nothing else is really that interesting about her kit. Keep the passive (even if you change it a bit), keep the concept of her kit having a rapid fire skill and some kinda steroid and I feel like people will respond well. That being said there will always be a hard core fan who isn't happy but that comes with any change.

That's why I think Eve needs to be designed to be a laner. Stealth is way easier to handle if the champion can be accounted for, so if she's MIA you might not be able to see her but you know to be wary in the foreseeable future, when she's in lane you're safe.
I agree. I really want to play her Mid but looking at her kit I really don't see the point other than the pressure her passive puts on the map if she's MIA to the enemy mid. Not sure if she can actually lane well and I'm sure someone like LB or Kat would work better seeing how they're bursty AF and have gap closers/ blinks.

Top Bottom