• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT11| going

garath

I.E. "we shouldn't have said we were going to give you solo queue. We never actually intend on delivering it. Our bad"

I mean. It's what most reasonable people expected. You don't take your most competitive environment and split it. One mode will end up holding the short straw. It's bad for everyone. They need to make dynamic queue work. And that means making it work for solo people too. 75% of my ranked matches are solo. I would certainly like to polish up the experience.

zkylon

zkylewd
I wish Riot would just use URF as a temporary sandbox solution. Add a custom game version of it with no cooldowns and vs bots only and leave it at that.

Also I wonder how Riot plans to improve the solo vs premade experience.

yea that's why i said 90%, cos like that's the urf number and all you really want is to practice flash and skillshots

just enable solo urf and add a big ass EXPERIMENTAL MAY CRASH ETC warning and you're good to go

i get that rito doesn't want to release anything that's not up to their standards but it's not like they don't release half baked stuff that they upgrade along the way. i don't even mean half baked as a bad thing, they did the new map with the old dragon and baron and then they added it up and it did the job just fine

Maybe they should just make diamond+ back into solo/duo q.
eh i think rito very strongly doesn't want to support two rankeds

if they do that might as well just add regular solo queue back

i get that rito doesn't want to release anything that's not up to their standards but it's not like they don't release half baked stuff that they upgrade along the way. i don't even mean half baked as a bad thing, they did the new map with the old dragon and baron and then they added it up and it did the job just fine
Yeah. I mean, just look at dynamic Q lol

I just want somewhere to practice doing shit with no cooldowns, no need to reinvent the wheel and take years to do it.

Nah she is way more of an assassin than diver. Assassins dont need to have an escape like talon. Her W gives her tank but she is not building tanky damage like a tank fizz vi xin or tank akali. You build her straight AP so you can 1 shot the back line.

When i think of AP fighters i think of like rumble.
Are you saying Talon doesn't have an escape? I'd consider a blink onto any target and a Ult that turns you invisible to be escapes but that's just me I guess.

I build her how ever I think she needs to be for the game. Be it a rageblade, NT tower pusher or a NT/ Gunblade duelist. Normally I just go heavy on the AP cause if I'm the only AP on my team people seem to forget to build MR until it's too late.

Played 7 ranked games today after a month of not playing.

Can't believe I'm saying this but Riven fucking sucks right now. This meta is the bane of a Riven player especially armor stacking.

Played 3 Riven games and 2 games were lost so horribly that it almost tilted me. Games like 0/8/1 whew. Only way I won was... Surprise! build tank. ON RIVEN.

Rest of the games were super easy wins using Renekton and Irelia. Both were fine because they can naturally build tanky after a few core items and still dish out some considerable damage. Not to mention their excellent diving capability.

Oh and fuck jhin and his bouncy shit. That shit deals tons of damage.
Yeah, it's getting warm ... seems like it's tank top season.

Haven't tried Riven against people yet. Most of the time I get top someone either picks an annoying ranged poke champ or they pick tank and I figure she's not great against people who are gonna build tanky items.

Anyone here play Scion?
I need some more utility tank picks now that I eased up on Poppy :(

Are you saying Talon doesn't have an escape? I'd consider a blink onto any target and a Ult that turns you invisible to be escapes but that's just me I guess.

I build her how ever I think she needs to be for the game. Be it a rageblade, NT tower pusher or a NT/ Gunblade duelist. Normally I just go heavy on the AP cause if I'm the only AP on my team people seem to forget to build MR until it's too late.
Yeah but you use you ult to insta kill someone you ult dash to them and use everything on them and it is usually to late for them to do anything. Like you can use it as an escape to run but that is like using diana ult to dash to a minion it is still an escape. Diana has an escape them. You Q R W E auto during all of that then you can either just ult to some one else or something neutral like a camp or a minion.
If you consider talon ult an escape then daina ult is a escape.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah. I mean, just look at dynamic Q lol

I just want somewhere to practice doing shit with no cooldowns, no need to reinvent the wheel and take years to do it.
yup, but that's riot, they hate wheels with a passion

Anyone here play Scion?
I need some more utility tank picks now that I eased up on Poppy :(

first it's sion

second i do, i think he's pretty alright, he's no maokai but he's a lot of fun

Sounds like a good solution. People will whine but the people that matter won't.
i personally don't like it, it feels like giving up and says that dynamic queue is the least competitive mode and creates two different experiences for the same mode

if it's the only option so be it but i think at that point they might as well make it all solo q

Talents

Banned
Nice. 3rd game of my promos and our Shen left the lobby but it didn't cancel the lobby. God bless.

RIP promos. Never forgetti spaghetti.

Luigi87

Really hate losing 'cause my team's Vayne DC'd at the start of the match...

Shouldn't there be like a timer instituted that forces a Loss Prevented if say a teammate never reconnects within like a 20~25 minute period (gradually increasing in time the later they disconnect)?

Making solo queue Diamond + only doesn't solve the issue for the people who want solo queue but aren't in Diamond, which seems to be the majority. The people that post their complaints on Reddit in every thread aren't all Diamond.

And in regards to solo queue, it wasn't that we announced something we never intended to deliver. It's that we kneejerk announced something without doing the proper exploration into it, and when it was done the reality of the situation was that, currently, introducing solo queue wouldn't work and would have a negative effect. it's a subtle difference, but relevant.

The intention was to introduce it but the reality of the situation made it a bad idea. Intentionally lying would have been dumb as fuck. Not that prematurely announcing stuff isn't dumb as fuck too, but at least the latter is far less insidious.

And yeah, we're totally going to do sandbox. No ETA on when. There is a team that wants to do it but their time is taken up right now with other stuff.

jerd

This is a new mechanic where Satchel Charge will be able to affect towers if they're below a certain health threshold (currently 25% in internal testing), destroying them immediately.

Ziggs gonna melt towers

Talents

Banned
2 games in a row our top has accidentally had heal. Truly this is diamond.

NICUUUU 3 PREMADE ON THE OTHER TEAM WHILE OUR TEAM IS SOLO

NAICUUU

Ziggs is going to probably be played alot in LCS if that is true.
Like that would seem super good for like all the lane swapping and tower taking that they do.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I mean...I don't really see that mechanic making Ziggs some crazy tower killer. Satchel Charge damage is insignificant, and the ability isn't even leveled up. If it's just an execute mechanic you're not going to be getting in that much damage. Short Fuse is obviously useful and you can really feel it late game with elixir, but there will still be better tower killers in the game because Ziggs doesn't get in that much unless you're ahead. Should be fun though. Ziggs is my favorite mid laner to play now.

zkylon

zkylewd
And yeah, we're totally going to do sandbox. No ETA on when. There is a team that wants to do it but their time is taken up right now with other stuff.
is there any internal reasoning into why they cant just allow you to play urf in customs as a short term solution for the lack of a practice mode?

Ziggs gonna melt towers
i mean, it's an execute, so if as ziggs you didn't put the siege work before it's not gonna change much

i like the idea, it creates some risky gameplay for ziggs that he might want to just finish off the turret but he's also giving up his escape for it so that can be taken advantage of

25% is probably too much tho

is there any internal reasoning into why they cant just allow you to play urf in customs as a short term solution for the lack of a practice mode?

I'm not sure it's been thought about. It might impact significantly on the rotating game mode queue popularity if there's always URF active, plus that's probably too hamfisted of an approach. I can pass the idea on, but I don't think it'll happen. Training/sandbox will be a feature we actually implement into the game, not just keep URF as a custom as a weird substitute, I think.

I'm not sure it's been thought about. It might impact significantly on the rotating game mode queue popularity if there's always URF active, plus that's probably too hamfisted of an approach. I can pass the idea on, but I don't think it'll happen. Training/sandbox will be a feature we actually implement into the game, not just keep URF as a custom as a weird substitute, I think.
Just make it something you can only use alone. No need to call it URF, just use URF as a base.

My problem is that ok, we'll get a cool mode eventually but right now we have jack shit. We need to go in a custom game and play for like 6 minutes to try out something once. Telling us to wait a couple years for a feature when there's a stop gap solution readily avaiable is silly.

All I want for Christmas are Doom Bots and Replays :(

What do people here use for recording their games? When I come back, I'm going to start recording mine so I can go back and review in an effort to try and better my League play.

jerd

All I want for Christmas are Doom Bots and Replays :(

What do people here use for recording their games? When I come back, I'm going to start recording mine so I can go back and review in an effort to try and better my League play.

replay.gg used to be great and they just emailed replay links of every game to you but I haven't used it in forever so I don't know what it's like these days

If you guys are worried about Urf popularity, a quick band aid would be to make it only playable/startable by 1 person. That would probably be the cheapest way to implement a sandbox like thing.

GcUf5oB.jpg

TVR2m68.gif

zkylon

zkylewd
current offer is nothing now and nothing for the forseeable future, so i'll settle for weird substitute for the time being, i'm sure all the people that care about it would too

other things:
- urf popularity as a mode. idk about this, rito probably has better statistics than me but i'm willing to bet the % of people that even know there's a custom game browser is pretty small
- maybe this'll create bad situations cos you can't differentiate between actual urf and people using it as training mode. you could make it so it's local only, that way you solve this and the above in one move
- maybe this leads to a lot of ppl joining custom games to play urf and they find themselves in a bronze v diamond matchup. yea, again, make it local
- maybe this creates additional strains to rito servers. for the love of god make it local
- too hamfisted. yeah, but who cares. it's better than nothing, and it's exactly what ppl need. even if it breaks sometimes and if it's bad in some respects it's better than nothing
- changes would have to be made for this to be useful. honestly the only thing needed out of urf mode for this is the cdr. the rest would hurt sandbox mode cos you'd be walking at higher movespeed than in the real game and so on. if they just kept the cdr that'd be super. zero costs for all items would be very nice too
- some champions would be broken. i'm sure some champions won't work properly with 90% cdr cos urf had a lot of special case stuff. yeah, probably. but it can be a staggered release if they want, just 20 champions each patch or whatever.
- more reddit whining/support. yeah, a lot of people aren't gonna pay attention to the HIGHLY UNSTABLE message on the loading screen or whatever. unfortunately that's the cost you gotta pay for not making a sandbox mode for realsies

Ferga

Lucian is only good in pro play... /team play

In solo queue his win rate is shit

Omg first post... I met a really pretty girl today. Her voice was kinda weird tho

Why did noone focus on the important thing here?

Can you describe the voice to us?

current offer is nothing now and nothing for the forseeable future, so i'll settle for weird substitute for the time being, i'm sure all the people that care about it would too

other things:
- urf popularity as a mode. idk about this, rito probably has better statistics than me but i'm willing to bet the % of people that even know there's a custom game browser is pretty small
- maybe this'll create bad situations cos you can't differentiate between actual urf and people using it as training mode. you could make it so it's local only, that way you solve this and the above in one move
- maybe this leads to a lot of ppl joining custom games to play urf and they find themselves in a bronze v diamond matchup. yea, again, make it local
- maybe this creates additional strains to rito servers. for the love of god make it local
- too hamfisted. yeah, but who cares. it's better than nothing, and it's exactly what ppl need. even if it breaks sometimes and if it's bad in some respects it's better than nothing
- changes would have to be made for this to be useful. honestly the only thing needed out of urf mode for this is the cdr. the rest would hurt sandbox mode cos you'd be walking at higher movespeed than in the real game and so on. if they just kept the cdr that'd be super. zero costs for all items would be very nice too
- some champions would be broken. i'm sure some champions won't work properly with 90% cdr cos urf had a lot of special case stuff. yeah, probably. but it can be a staggered release if they want, just 20 champions each patch or whatever.
- more reddit whining/support. yeah, a lot of people aren't gonna pay attention to the HIGHLY UNSTABLE message on the loading screen or whatever. unfortunately that's the cost you gotta pay for not making a sandbox mode for realsies

pretty much every solution there requires dev time that's not just readily available, which is one of the reasons for the actual mode and any other feature you can think of not being in production right now. Like I said, I'll pass it on but it's not as simple as you think.

dimb

I just can't really see many use cases for practice mode...still always surprised to see people asking for it.

dimb

Personally, it'd be super useful when experimenting with clears.
I mean...that stuff can be done in custom games right now as far as I'm aware. I kind of feel that jungle clears are pretty static in some ways, so I dunno how much there really is to experiment with there.

Yeah...I honestly just don't understand the idea of a sandbox. It only makes sense if you could create and add to the world and really experiment, which they flatout today said isn't happening, right? Honestly, I can live without. Just get me them replays, and keep release awesome new champions. I'll be happy.

jerd

It would allow people to practice flashes and... uh...

It'd be a feature that was released and everyone would forget about in a week

1v5 custom games vs intermediate bots is the best way to practice champs

It would also just be nice to mess around with builds and champ interaction, or if you want to try to set up plays it would be useful. Also of the pros have expressed this want, so that they dont have to spent along time just to practice one late game thing.

It's about practicing skills and works with them, learning distances on things like flash, as well as other quirks.

You guys are underselling it :p

zkylon

zkylewd
pretty much every solution there requires dev time that's not just readily available, which is one of the reasons for the actual mode and any other feature you can think of not being in production right now. Like I said, I'll pass it on but it's not as simple as you think.
i never said it's simple, but it's important, and we've been in this same situation of "let's do it the right way" with replays and look where that left us

i can't imagine adding a permabeta solo mode with 90% cdr and free items to be something that should take that long. and i know this needs programmers in different areas, qa, new art, new writing in every language, announcing blogposts in every language and more, but if you do that then you get to say "yeah not even soon tm". it wouldn't even be that much individual work, just like everything in league it just goes through a billion departments cos the game is so big.

right now making a blog post that backtracks about sandbox but then says we shouldn't expect the mode any time soon (which i'm guessing means optimistic date 2017) is uhh, not great

i don't even care about it so much but i just hate that attitude of not meeting people half way

I just can't really see many use cases for practice mode...still always surprised to see people asking for it.
it's like practice mode in fighting games, while a lot of champions don't require much in the way of mechanics, people might want to try out animation canceling, combos, insecs, ability+flash chaining

if it had some more advanced features you could like test out damage in different builds, quickly test for waveclear and jungle clears, random wave management stuff, who knows. if you're allowed to instantly reset the game and have free reign over a lot of variables i bet over time people could find a ton of cool stuff

you can already do this stuff with custom games, it just takes forever

It would allow people to practice flashes and... uh...

It'd be a feature that was released and everyone would forget about in a week

1v5 custom games vs intermediate bots is the best way to practice champs
yea practicing shurima shuffle with 2 minute cooldowns is the best

It's about practicing skills and works with them, learning distances on things like flash, as well as other quirks.

You guys are underselling it :p
Learning how to combos is really annoying if you have to wait like 100 seconds for a ult to come back.

You cant tell me that the testing team doesnt have free items and the ability to level up champs and have shorter cooldowns when testing stuff. Like it is probably pretty rough but they still have something.

Learning how to combos is really annoying if you have to wait like 100 seconds for a ult to come back.

You cant tell me that the testing team doesnt have free items and the ability to level up champs and have shorter cooldowns when testing stuff. Like it is probably pretty rough but they still have something.

Yeah, pretty much.

Things like Alistars combo, Azirs Shuffling, without having to wait for CDs.

dimb

I don't really feel that there is a need to really practice flashes around the map with the range of the summoner spell and how the geometry works on the map at this point. You either understand the mechanic or you don't.

There is a call for training modes in fighting games because an expectation exists for players to execute long combo strings with little to not input from the enemy. I don't think League necessarily has the same needs. This is not to say that a training mode has zero use cases, but they are so limited that it's hard to imagine that they would really be worth the developer time or increased complexity to the base UI.

Practicing different types of animation cancelling with stuff like Riven and Azir, practicing certain flash cancels like Gragas E or Vi Q without having to wait 5 minutes in between or having to exit the game and create another match just for one shot, practicing orb walking at high attack speeds without having to farm for 20 bloody minutes specially with something like Kalista, etc, etc, etc.

You either understand the mechanic or you don't.

And that's why a Training mode is necessary. Alot of champions have that 'You either understand their mechanic or you don't', and instead of telling people to deal with it, you try to help them understand it. If they can't visually understand by watching, then by trying they can get the hang of it. Everyone is a hands on person. You can show the-

I wanna cut in and say I'm in a queue with someone named 'f4gg0t'. How do these people get to rank 30 with names like that.

Anyway, you can show people 'hey you can keep trying it like this' and sooner or later they'll get it.

A training mode is important.

Nekofrog

Banned
i think people would do far, far better if they practiced flash restraint instead of flash distance limits

the feel of the flash comes to you eventually, your ability to judge when you actually need to flash and when you don't is something a lot of my lower elo friends don't really get. "oh no they're 3 inches from me i better flash before they do anything"

Top Bottom