• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT11| going

Manus

Played my first matches of Cho ever tonight.

Went 4-2 I believe it was. Interesting champ. Was nice to learn some of his flaws so that I can take advantage of them in the future. But there aren't many.

Cho is one of my go to top picks in ranked if I'm picking first or second. Doesn't really have a lot of counters. Plus deleting heroes with his ult is so much fun.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

That was lame. In all honesty I feel like a lot of the talent at Riot making these trailers are wasted when we get really cool stuff like the Ekko Trailer or Project skin trailer. It's not as if you guys don't have talent. I'm just wondering who is storyboarding this and making these underwhelming trailers cuz it's not very good.

Less interested in new champs than stable servers.

the servers are up the vast majority of the time, outages are rare especially in NA. Champ team and NOC have nothing to do with each other, we have invested significantly into network infrastructure for players. For example.

I know you have limited playtime because you have a kid and the servers were wonky this weekend, but please. These flippant comments are pretty unfair. I'm not sure what the issues were this weekend, but we are one of the biggest targets out there for attacks on our servers and we can't 100% prevent issues when they arise.

patchday

Am I a creepy waifu stalker gaf? This been bugging me for awhile. All my "mastered" characters are all cute waifus (my 4th mastered waifu is Diana). Been wanting to put more effort into male characters

zM2F7KI.png

Awesome little animated movie.

That was lame. In all honesty I feel like a lot of the talent at Riot making these trailers are wasted when we get really cool stuff like the Ekko Trailer or Project skin trailer. It's not as if you guys don't have talent. I'm just wondering who is storyboarding this and making these underwhelming trailers cuz it's not very good.

I'm not 100% on this but pretty sure it was outsourced? It's just a short teaser for the full reveal. Curious to hear what you didn't like about it though.

She's so CUUUUTE!

Really hoping for a Top lane Tank Mage . At the very least she looks like a battle mage (she seems to have some form of mobility and CC)

Also, if that trailer is ...cannon, her Lore should have details about the current state of a lot of places she had to pass though to get there.

kayos90

I'm not 100% on this but pretty sure it was outsourced? It's just a short teaser for the full reveal. Curious to hear what you didn't like about it though.

I think that if it's a short reveal then it needs to be extremely concise on what the champion can do and what the theme of that is. Perhaps she's a super cool champion that travels on sand. I don't know. A good example of why I don't like this trailer is the same reason I don't like Braum's or Jhin's teaser. Although short, it feels long for what it's trying to tell. It also feels like it tries to tell the lore of the character and let's be honest, the lore is completely irrelevant for LoL at this point in its life. Secondly, there's way too much emphasis on the origins of the character. It's from Shurima? Uhh... so what? Do all Shurima characters have some sort of thematic abilities or anything? Any characteristics that are shared? Not really. It'd be one thing if we got another ninja character and that would let us know "oh, this champion might use energy!" or something to that effect. The way it stands these teasers are completely pointless. I'm not trying to be heartless and discount the work that the team puts into these trailers but their skills and talents are leveraged much better elsewhere. Either find a better storyboarder to create a more compelling teaser or just scrap these all together and create better trailers.

garath

the servers are up the vast majority of the time, outages are rare especially in NA. Champ team and NOC have nothing to do with each other, we have invested significantly into network infrastructure for players. For example.

I know you have limited playtime because you have a kid and the servers were wonky this weekend, but please. These flippant comments are pretty unfair. I'm not sure what the issues were this weekend, but we are one of the biggest targets out there for attacks on our servers and we can't 100% prevent issues when they arise.

Don't take it so personally. While I admire riots generally pretty stable NA servers, it doesn't reflect well on them when they are down multiple times over the span of a week, usually during primetime. It's a negative experience that any customer will complain about.

If I go to the local seafood place for some fried clams multiple times in a week and their fryer happens to be malfunctioning each time, I'm definitely not going to look fondly upon the server asking me to join the rewards club.

I am forgiving and certainly know champ teams and infrastructure teams are completely different but I am happily going to vent a little in the community thread on GAF that I've been a part of for the last what.. 3-4 years? Time flies.

Flippant or not, my comment was 100% accurate. I'd rather be able to play than get a new champ. :) as far as fair? I think it's perfectly fair to complain when a service you enjoy very is down multiple times right when you want to use it over a protracted period of time.

patchday

Riot servers were stable for me. Rainbow Six siege was completely down due to hackers I couldnt even login.

That's an unstable server! LOL!

I think that if it's a short reveal then it needs to be extremely concise on what the champion can do and what the theme of that is. Perhaps she's a super cool champion that travels on sand. I don't know. A good example of why I don't like this trailer is the same reason I don't like Braum's or Jhin's teaser. Although short, it feels long for what it's trying to tell. It also feels like it tries to tell the lore of the character and let's be honest, the lore is completely irrelevant for LoL at this point in its life. Secondly, there's way too much emphasis on the origins of the character. It's from Shurima? Uhh... so what? Do all Shurima characters have some sort of thematic abilities or anything? Any characteristics that are shared? Not really. It'd be one thing if we got another ninja character and that would let us know "oh, this champion might use energy!" or something to that effect. The way it stands these teasers are completely pointless. I'm not trying to be heartless and discount the work that the team puts into these trailers but their skills and talents are leveraged much better elsewhere. Either find a better storyboarder to create a more compelling teaser or just scrap these all together and create better trailers.

Pretty sure it's a follow-up to the story pieces we put out the other day. If you only see the video, which is probably the case for a lot of people, I can see why it feels disjointed and underwhelming. A lot of people do care about lore though, and a teaser like this is very much a lore piece that also gives you a little hint of who the character is, what she looks like, and what sort of power she has.

I definitely don't think it's the most impressive teaser we put out though, at the same time not sure if it was supposed to be considering how close the reveal is...

thanks for the feedback though, hope I could shed more light on it.

Don't take it so personally. While I admire riots generally pretty stable NA servers, it doesn't reflect well on them when they are down multiple times over the span of a week, usually during primetime. It's a negative experience that any customer will complain about.

If I go to the local seafood place for some fried clams multiple times in a week and their fryer happens to be malfunctioning each time, I'm definitely not going to look fondly upon the server asking me to join the rewards club.

I am forgiving and certainly know champ teams and infrastructure teams are completely different but I am happily going to vent a little in the community thread on GAF that I've been a part of for the last what.. 3-4 years? Time flies.

Flippant or not, my comment was 100% accurate. I'd rather be able to play than get a new champ. :) as far as fair? I think it's perfectly fair to complain when a service you enjoy very is down multiple times right when you want to use it over a protracted period of time.

It's not about taking it personally, it's just sucky to read. Like, we have 99% server uptime I think? And if, for example, our servers get hit with a massive DDoS attack that makes things shaky until we can solve it... there's not a whole lot we can do. We can protect our servers as much as possible but that stuff's an arms race and sometimes these things will have an impact for a very short period of time (which it was, like really short).

Your comment was the same as someone saying "stop making skins rito, I want a new mouse cursor". Like... completely unrelated.

And as for frequency, I'm sorry that any downtime happened during your limited windows of availability, but when it's out of our control what can we do but get it back up and running ASAP?

Sorry if you think I'm being an ass about this, but it's the type of garbage Reddit comment I'd pass over as it's just vitriol. Expected more from GAF is all.

TL;DR... there's only so much we can do? And it has nothing to do with a new champ teaser?

kayos90

Pretty sure it's a follow-up to the story pieces we put out the other day. If you only see the video, which is probably the case for a lot of people, I can see why it feels disjointed and underwhelming. A lot of people do care about lore though, and a teaser like this is very much a lore piece that also gives you a little hint of who the character is, what she looks like, and what sort of power she has.

I definitely don't think it's the most impressive teaser we put out though, at the same time not sure if it was supposed to be considering how close the reveal is...

thanks for the feedback though, hope I could shed more light on it.

It's not about taking it personally, it's just sucky to read. Like, we have 99% server uptime I think? And if, for example, our servers get hit with a massive DDoS attack that makes things shaky until we can solve it... there's not a whole lot we can do. We can protect our servers as much as possible but that stuff's an arms race and sometimes these things will have an impact for a very short period of time (which it was, like really short).

Your comment was the same as someone saying "stop making skins rito, I want a new mouse cursor". Like... completely unrelated.

And as for frequency, I'm sorry that any downtime happened during your limited windows of availability, but when it's out of our control what can we do but get it back up and running ASAP?

Sorry if you think I'm being an ass about this, but it's the type of garbage Reddit comment I'd pass over as it's just vitriol. Expected more from GAF is all.

TL;DR... there's only so much we can do? And it has nothing to do with a new champ teaser?

That does shed some light but I'm going to be frank. I think that a video piece should really stand on its own and not to complement the writing. They have two different approaches to telling something. The writing should focus on its own thing while the video does its own separate thing. This is a preference though, not a golden rule.

I wouldn't say it is bad. My complaint is more that it didn't hook me. I want a teaser to make me go "I need more of that" or "what's going on here....". The teaser didn't leave me "teased" and wanting more. And trust me---I know a thing or two about being teased.
I'm at work so I can't make this joke as sexual as I would like

That does shed some light but I'm going to be frank. I think that a video piece should really stand on its own and not to complement the writing. They have two different approaches to telling something. The writing should focus on its own thing while the video does its own separate thing. This is a preference though, not a golden rule.
Personally, I really like the lore. But if they are going to go hand-in-hand with each other, I'd almost like it if the teaser and "The Bird and The Branch" were more linked? And I don't mean writing-wise, but presentation-wise to the players. You click on the link at League of Legends and it takes you to teaser on YouTube. And below video you can click "Read the full story here". It's a little disjointed and throws you around with all these destinations. In the end, it comes down to me being lazy, which is why I would like it all put together a bit more.

What I'd really love is if when a champ is being teased/revealed, there was a section on the League of Legends site dedicated to the reveal (or maybe there is already?). Before you have any information, it's maybe an outline of the champ? And with the story, and the eventual teaser, and all else to follow, you can click on this one link or section that has it all together.

kayos90

If I didn't know what kind of champion Lucian, Zed, Fiora, and Yi were and I watched the Project skin I would definitely know. That's how great fucking Project trailer was. Ekko too. I'm just wondering what the internal process of Riot looks like that handles trailers and such. Wondering if the trailers that I enjoyed were created with a different intent in mind or if it was just dumb luck.

I think that we can all agree Jinx music vid is the best, hands down. Shows her personal, her kit and is catchy as fuck.

Buuuut I guess you can't do that for every new champ (IDK why, they make tons of money IIRC ... but then again IDK why it takes so long to rework busted champs with all this money so what would I know?)

garath

Frankly I do think you're being a bit of an ass about it. You're blowing up over a single snarky comment that was a result of days of frustration. Server downtime probably wasn't even that prolonged but it was perfectly timed to impact all of my playing over the last few days. 99% uptime is great and all but when you lose playtime and LP over unexpected downtime it sucks.

I know you are proud of your new company, hey, I like them too. But you don't need to own every negative comment that gets posted on GAF. It certainly isn't Reddit quality over here but we have plenty of vitirol over various topics (solo queue anyone?).

Relax. Pimp the new champ and ignore the occasional snarky shit when riot has issues.

I think that we can all agree Jinx music vid is the best, hands down. Shows her personal, her kit and is catchy as fuck.

Buuuut I guess you can't do that for every new champ (IDK why, they make tons of money IIRC ... but then again IDK why it takes so long to rework busted champs with all this money so what would I know?)
Jinx is pretty good. But ain't got nothing on the River King.
Frankly I do think you're being a bit of an ass about it. You're blowing up over a single snarky comment that was a result of days of frustration. Server downtime probably wasn't even that prolonged but it was perfectly timed to impact all of my playing over the last few days. 99% uptime is great and all but when you lose playtime and LP over unexpected downtime it sucks.

I know you are proud of your new company, hey, I like them too. But you don't need to own every negative comment that gets posted on GAF. It certainly isn't Reddit quality over here but we have plenty of vitirol over various topics (solo queue anyone?).

Relax. Pimp the new champ and ignore the occasional snarky shit when riot has issues.
In his defense, I know what it is like working for a company that gets hit with snarky comments, or whatever you want to call them, quite a bit. For me, it is near impossible to hold myself back and not (in essence) defend my co-workers I've really come to love and respect. Even completely understanding where you are coming from, Garath---I wouldn't be able to resist. And I know you weren't saying they are garbage or anything. But that is where my head would immediately go.

I can definitely shed light on this. Throwing money at stuff isn't really a good solution to problems. By assume throwing money at stuff you mean just hire people. There's a very high bar for hires at Riot, and the biggest bar in the process is the culture fit. That means finding the right people can take some time. Our hiring process is infamously long, and although we are working to shorten it, it's for good reason. Gotta find the best people who are really motivated and are a culture fit.

So you have to have to hire the right people, you have to then prioritise your resources in the place that suits the player need, Riot's need and their own need to grow professionally. So do you put art people on new champions, champion updates, skins, environments... or even R&D. Maybe they'd be the perfect fit for a project that might end up as game 2?

There are tonnes of other factors as well in terms of what the teams themselves want to work on. Maybe there's someone super passionate about Galio and the champion update team wants to redo Galio from the ground up. It takes a lot of time to come up with the right concept for the character, then actually put it through the development process. Many different disciplines come into that stuff. Art, game design, narrative, publishing, audio. When you want to make stuff on the level of new Taric etc., it takes time to make sure it's right.

Unfortunately just throwing money at stuff is rarely the right choice, it would be so easy otherwise!

I wonder if her rock armor will be some sort of her passive
I wonder if she'll have some form of Xerath's old passive.

Also the fact that she's not as mechanically taxing as Azir per Zenon makes me happy. Gimme something simple but with a decent skill ceiling like Lucian and we gucci.

Hard

Banned
I just hope the teasing doesn't go on for ages like it did with Aurelion Sol. At some point I tend to start losing interest as my blue balls get too painful to bear.

I just hope the teasing doesn't go on for ages like it did with Aurelion Sol. At some point I tend to start losing interest as my blue balls get too painful to bear.
6.9 is this week so it's very likely she's hitting the PBE the next cycle and the full reveal is a couple days away.

zkylon

zkylewd
talia sounds cool

she kind of looks like female sand talon

i hope she's a mage

will be disappointed if she's not since gaara-esque sand mage is one thing i really want the game to do someday

got my overwatch beta tho, loves

soooooo

I can definitely shed light on this. Throwing money at stuff isn't really a good solution to problems. By assume throwing money at stuff you mean just hire people. There's a very high bar for hires at Riot, and the biggest bar in the process is the culture fit. That means finding the right people can take some time. Our hiring process is infamously long, and although we are working to shorten it, it's for good reason. Gotta find the best people who are really motivated and are a culture fit.

So you have to have to hire the right people, you have to then prioritise your resources in the place that suits the player need, Riot's need and their own need to grow professionally. So do you put art people on new champions, champion updates, skins, environments... or even R&D. Maybe they'd be the perfect fit for a project that might end up as game 2?

There are tonnes of other factors as well in terms of what the teams themselves want to work on. Maybe there's someone super passionate about Galio and the champion update team wants to redo Galio from the ground up. It takes a lot of time to come up with the right concept for the character, then actually put it through the development process. Many different disciplines come into that stuff. Art, game design, narrative, publishing, audio. When you want to make stuff on the level of new Taric etc., it takes time to make sure it's right.

Unfortunately just throwing money at stuff is rarely the right choice, it would be so easy otherwise!
Hmmm, hope someday someone there feels passionately about Eve then :/

Wish I could work there but my only skill is "I'm a junior Animator looking to break into the industry ... and sometimes I draw stuff".

she is very much a zkylon champion
Not sure if that's a good thing or not but Zkylon seems like a cool person.

I'm ok with her not being a TANK MAGE but I feel it would have gone so well with the stone mage theme.

Hmmm, hope someday someone there feels passionately about Eve then :/

Wish I could work there but my only skill is "I'm a junior Animator looking to break into the industry ... and sometimes I draw stuff".

There's no reason why you can't. We hire animators of all levels. Make some kickass stuff in your spare time and apply. If you really want it and you have the ability for it, no reason not to aim for it.

I was (am still) a very junior writer. I'm 23, I got my job at Riot right after I finished college. I have the game knowledge and potential, and I'm willing to take feedback, recognise how junior I am and what I can and need to learn, and I was a fit culturally so they hired me. I've already learned so much since I started at Riot and still have a long way to go.

I wish you every success if you decide to go for it :)

Top Bottom