• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT11| going

zkylon

zkylewd
Harassment isn't synonymous with being an ass. Shocking in this day and age, I know.

You and zkylon actually enjoy ignoring "overboard, yes" to score moral high ground victory points or is it just out of habit nowadays?

Please enlighten me about where I wrote that harassing his fiance was ok? Come on now, I'm on pins and needles here.
you're being a jerk dude, the guy got nothing but shit for years and you're saying it's justifiable, it's just that the community "went overboard" like that's not something that's really serious

you may disagree with the decisions he took but in the end lyte's job was to make league a friendlier place and he did what he thought was best. he doesn't deserve the shit he got for that

downplaying the community hate as an important (probably deciding) factor and going like "he just got a better job at some f2p company" is completely white washing the whole thing

i can't imagine there being a better job right now that leading a team at riot, cmon

that is, unless you're a spokesperson and you have thousands of people going after your throat because you have a different opinion

The funnier thing is that ranked is probably more toxic now than it was before Dynamic queue
very unlikely since now everyone plays with their friends

Talents

Banned
I wish Riot made it so Bronze - Plat is Dynamic but Diamond - Challenger is solo queue. I doubt many people would have problems with that, since people who get to diamond don't really wanna play with friends, but want to be competitive and get the best rank they can.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I don't really understand the philosophy of having the ability to queue with 4 people... It's just asking for trouble in my mind. I can imagine two people or three but four? eh....

zkylon

zkylewd
btw i love the ali nerf

Alistar
Unbreakable Will (R) damage reduction now 50/60/70% from 70% at all ranks.

honestly feels crazy that he even had 70% dmg reduction at lvl 6 to begin with, it's one of those old champion things like mundo getting like 80 free ad that are hard to believe today

And that turns into shitting on the solo guy as a group effort

like I said, more toxic.
i wonder how often that happens tho, because going by anecdotal experience is useless

to me it just makes more sense that there's less toxicity because before it was 1v9 or 2v8, but now it's anywhere from 1v9 to 5v5. like ok, it must totally suck for that one guy that's with a 4 premade but before that one guy still had to fight the two duos or the four other solo q players that were fighting among themselves too

it's not perfect but i can't imagine having more friends playing together having a negative effect on toxicity overall

I don't really understand the philosophy of having the ability to queue with 4 people... It's just asking for trouble in my mind. I can imagine two people or three but four? eh....

It's weird. 2 makes sense. 4 though? Why not just let 5-man teams be able to go into solo queue? It's like...it's like the implementation of dynamic queue was intended to fix an issue that didn't exist. If anything, it would've made more sense to remove the ability to duo queue than to add 2 more slots to a party.

i wonder how often that happens tho, because going by anecdotal experience is useless

to me it just makes more sense that there's less toxicity because before it was 1v9 or 2v8, but now it's anywhere from 1v9 to 5v5. like ok, it must totally suck for that one guy that's with a 4 premade but before that one guy still had to fight the two duos or the four other solo q players that were fighting among themselves too

it's not perfect but i can't imagine having more friends playing together having a negative effect on toxicity overall

It's probably anecdotal but alot of people hate it for good reason

Hard

Banned
1 week and I haven't offended one person on this thread by making a reference to some kind of disease. I must be losing my touch.

zkylon

zkylewd
It's weird. 2 makes sense. 4 though? Why not just let 5-man teams be able to go into solo queue? It's like...it's like the implementation of dynamic queue was intended to fix an issue that didn't exist. If anything, it would've made more sense to remove the ability to duo queue than to add 2 more slots to a party.
i played more ranked this season than the last two combined so for me it's much better

personally i think that duo queue was dumb and i much rather have this system or pure solo q than what we had before. duo queue was arbitrary so i think that was dumb (why not 3? why is the entire ranked environment have to be like this just because there's a duo lane?)

and it's a team game so to me the idea that ranked should only be a display of your ability with a group of strangers is flawed and doesn't belong in league. if you want the pure 1v1 thing then play a fighting game, but i've had better games since dynamic queue cos i can coordinate better and play against coordinated teams and i've been enjoying it much more.

ranked 5s+solo q would be a good alternative but i think it's pretty silly to say duo queue "made sense"

It's probably anecdotal but alot of people hate it for good reason
a lot of people who? reddit?

reddit hates everything

Bacon

XUiUANt.png

No support needed boys

patchday

Hold me gaf, lost my last two ranked matches. I was playing support Zyra but my poor ADC (think it was Cait) just got yanked out of her boots by Blitzcrank over & over. poor girl got molested. I really should buy Blitzcrank one of these days he's not terribly expensive IP-wise. Was trying to save up for that new Earth bender Avatar Riot will release soon tho

And man- I was gonna play a lot this weekend but ended up going to Dreamhack Austin with some friends instead.

Oh yeah- I'm vaguely familiar with Lyte. but dont know this person well enough to be happy or sad...

Ferga

I feel like I get healthier, both mentally and physically, when I turn my computer on after work and think, "Hey, let's not torture myself with solo queue today"

But then I go back a couple of days later because watching movies, tv series and playing single player games are just boring to me now because I don't have a toxic chat to read.

But it really sucks how I can't play solo queue anymore. It's too much.

I feel like I get healthier, both mentally and physically, when I turn my computer on after work and think, "Hey, let's not torture myself with solo queue today"

But then I go back a couple of days later because watching movies, tv series and playing single player games are just boring to me now because I don't have a toxic chat to read.

But it really sucks how I can't play solo queue anymore. It's too much.

u should play overwatch with me in 2 weeks :^)

Leezard

Overwatch was fun but I kinda got satisfied with the open beta.

Doesn't help that I suck at FPS so I won't get good results with the more difficult classes but it gets boring to play 15 games of Reinhardt.

Stellaris seems really good so far though.

jerd

Doesn't help that I suck at FPS so I won't get good results with the more difficult classes but it gets boring to play 15 games of Reinhardt.

Exactly my problem. I'll probably still buy it and just accept that I suck at it. Junkrat and Winston are other options that don't require a lot of FPS skill and I still feel fine playing Lucio and just being a heal and ult bot. I've never played any of the offensive heroes though because I already know how that will go.

No support needed boys

The feeling when you're only able to get like 3k gold more than the ambient gold an AFK player earns.

Exactly my problem. I'll probably still buy it and just accept that I suck at it. Junkrat and Winston are other options that don't require a lot of FPS skill and I still feel fine playing Lucio and just being a heal and ult bot. I've never played any of the offensive heroes though because I already know how that will go.

I think it comes down to how much you're willing to be okay at sucking with certain characters for a while. I've played Overwatch exclusively on PC and my experience with FPSes on that (instead of consoles) was essentially none before. Probably one of my favorite characters to play now is Pharah and I can put up performances ranging from decent to really good. It took me a while to get used to it, but just playing more games will get you performing better. Also there's considerably less flaming in my experience mostly because people are too busy doing their own thing with M+KB to shit talk during the game.

Except for Hanzo. Fuck that hero so much. Everyone else is playing a super good version of Hanzo with homing arrows and double damage hacks.
Yes I'm salty because I can't figure out how to git gud with Hanzo. But at least I didn't write a god damn article about how he should be taken out of the game.

Hard

Banned
I love playing Soldier 76, baiting someone into a small room, then plopping a heal down and watch them try to fight me. Every time.

If you can't aim just pick something like a support, one of the non sniper defensive heroes, Pharah, Reinhardt or Reaper (Kappa optional)

Not everyone needs to be godlike with Widowmaker like me.

Since I've reached level 25 mainly on the back of my Kayle, Zilean, Soraka and Vayne (reasonably well, with Kayle being the best due to easy cs), I decided I need to broaden my horizons and develop some flexibility in my champ choices before reaching 30. Some 2-3 years ago I took the beginner bundle with 8 champs included and I want to use all of them to some extent as each of them is meant to be ideal for learning each possible role.

Jungling as such is a big achilles heel for me as I pretty much never did it and learning it has been a painful process. After saving diligently for Kindred, I have found my absolute favorite champion design-wise but I quickly discovered it should by no means be my first jungling experience as he is way, way too difficult. In the practice bot games I played I did alright after a jungle clear but I kept dying in that very first jungle clear. I can't kite well, my runes are fairly average and I only have 2 rune pages so switching them is a pain.

So, I turned to Warwick from the "beginner 8" as he is dubbed possibly the easiest champion to learn jungling on. Watched several tutorials, most notably this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tru5DAuv2xY , but again, it is the jungle clear that keeps messing me up. I've been following the exact route the man has given with the items he presented, and in my many practice clears it's usually 50/50 in me dying at the third camp, and that's with using a potion. In the video, he is pretty much full health at that third camp, with no pots used. I'm using smite as intended, W when I can and Q whenever available. I can't wrap my head around this, does his rune composition make this much of a difference? Tried similarly with Nunu, pretty much the same thing.

Jungling is really hard to learn already given I'm a relatively high level that includes matching up with more experienced folks. But how in the hell does one go in to human matches if the very first hurdle, clearing a jungle and getting in a position for a succesful first gank, is difficult to jump with a beginner friendly champion?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
So.... should I expect a nerf for Twitch? I played him last night and i'm pretty sure he's broken because I normally do not do that well during laning.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Since I've reached level 25 mainly on the back of my Kayle, Zilean, Soraka and Vayne (reasonably well, with Kayle being the best due to easy cs), I decided I need to broaden my horizons and develop some flexibility in my champ choices before reaching 30. Some 2-3 years ago I took the beginner bundle with 8 champs included and I want to use all of them to some extent as each of them is meant to be ideal for learning each possible role.

Jungling as such is a big achilles heel for me as I pretty much never did it and learning it has been a painful process. After saving diligently for Kindred, I have found my absolute favorite champion design-wise but I quickly discovered it should by no means be my first jungling experience as he is way, way too difficult. In the practice bot games I played I did alright after a jungle clear but I kept dying in that very first jungle clear. I can't kite well, my runes are fairly average and I only have 2 rune pages so switching them is a pain.

So, I turned to Warwick from the "beginner 8" as he is dubbed possibly the easiest champion to learn jungling on. Watched several tutorials, most notably this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tru5DAuv2xY , but again, it is the jungle clear that keeps messing me up. I've been following the exact route the man has given with the items he presented, and in my many practice clears it's usually 50/50 in me dying at the third camp, and that's with using a potion. In the video, he is pretty much full health at that third camp, with no pots used. I'm using smite as intended, W when I can and Q whenever available. I can't wrap my head around this, does his rune composition make this much of a difference? Tried similarly with Nunu, pretty much the same thing.

Jungling is really hard to learn already given I'm a relatively high level that includes matching up with more experienced folks. But how in the hell does one go in to human matches if the very first hurdle, clearing a jungle and getting in a position for a succesful first gank, is difficult to jump with a beginner friendly champion?

practice, practice, practice, i was awful at clearing jungle when i first started and would die half the time by the second camp. Learn how the camps apply damage, manage the krug stun, figure out which monster in the camp to kill first, and don't be afraid to do an early back after 2-3 camps if you really need to. You mentioned you can't kite well, but kindred has reallly really easy kiting so I would practice more with her on how to dance around the camps while getting your w heal and not taking much damage. another good champ to get more used to kiting with is Graves.

zkylon

zkylewd

you could play something like mercy, symmetra or torbjorn since they have very little aiming to do in their kits

they're not as fun as tracer but u know, that's some variety and maybe they'll give symmetra a proper e by release

jerd

If you're doing his exact start just cut the pink ward and go refillable potion or if you're really struggling just go 3 reds. Pink ward to start is just a luxury probably not something thats gonna make a huge difference to you at this point

Leezard

you could play something like mercy, symmetra or torbjorn since they have very little aiming to do in their kits

they're not as fun as tracer but u know, that's some variety and maybe they'll give symmetra a proper e by release

I have played them too. Mercy got boring for me after a couple of games, Symmetra and Torbjörn are kinda fun but I feel like the team usually gets stuck without tank/healer most of the time.

I like the game but I will probably stick to free weekends. I want to like the game more but I realize it's just not my type of game.

drawkcaB

you're being a jerk dude, the guy got nothing but shit for years and you're saying it's justifiable, it's just that the community "went overboard" like that's not something that's really serious

You're accusing me of saying things I didn't say, and thinking things I didn't think, and apparently I'm supposed to be ok with that.

Where did I say that everything slung his way was justifiable? When someone is being an ass, as Lyte and crew have often been, being an ass back to them isn't some extreme stance.

And because you've jumped the gun twice already, being an ass to me doesn't mean harassment. It means being an ass. Harassment and going after someone personally, bombarding their Twitter, etc. is something well beyond being an ass.

Being an ass means going on Reddit, or here, and saying that Riot are being dicks, that they're making a dumb mistake, that they fucked this or that, or whatever just to vent a bit. And yes, Riot and Lyte have made many missteps where that sort of venting, that level of being an ass was justifiable.

Any rate, Stellaris is awesome and I played until 2am on a work night and I'm now coming to grips with just how bad of an idea that was. I made a cute race of fox like pacifists. Should have made them militarists xenophobes instead.

Hmmm, that's how I've been building her since I started. Guess someone's guild was wrong. :x

Morello's it is.

I think Annie bot streams on twitch. At the very least, you can see him on the streams of Dyrus/Qt/Dom most days recently. He is probably a good person to emulate if you are wondering about build/playstyle.

I think Annie bot streams on twitch. At the very least, you can see him on the streams of Dyrus/Qt/Dom most days recently. He is probably a good person to emulate if you are wondering about build/playstyle.
He's a good person to emulate about everything. He's like the SirchEz of mid lane

AW CRUD

zkylon

zkylewd
I have played them too. Mercy got boring for me after a couple of games, Symmetra and Torbjörn are kinda fun but I feel like the team usually gets stuck without tank/healer most of the time.

I like the game but I will probably stick to free weekends. I want to like the game more but I realize it's just not my type of game.
i wish it was cheaper

if it was 20 bucks a lot of my friends would buy it

tho tbh it's like 27 in argieland so it's not so bad

You're accusing me of saying things I didn't say, and thinking things I didn't think, and apparently I'm supposed to be ok with that.

Where did I say that everything slung his way was justifiable? When someone is being an ass, as Lyte and crew have often been, being an ass back to them isn't some extreme stance.

And because you've jumped the gun twice already, being an ass to me doesn't mean harassment. It means being an ass. Harassment and going after someone personally, bombarding their Twitter, etc. is something well beyond being an ass.

Being an ass means going on Reddit, or here, and saying that Riot are being dicks, that they're making a dumb mistake, that they fucked this or that, or whatever just to vent a bit. And yes, Riot and Lyte have made many missteps where that sort of venting, that level of being an ass was justifiable.

Any rate, Stellaris is awesome and I played until 2am on a work night and I'm now coming to grips with just how bad of an idea that was. I made a cute race of fox like pacifists. Should have made them militarists xenophobes instead.
"Where did I say that everything slung his way was justifiable?"

you didn't, but you swung the conversation in the direction of "he didn't leave because of that" or "he deserved some shit, not everything but some shit" and like, that's just empowering the harassers. you need to frame this stuff as it really is, not as you want to see it, and reality is he didn't leave for a better job cos seriously can you imagine a better job than being a lead at riot?

and i never understood the idea that lyte's an ass. he never belittled other people's opinions and he never was a jerk to anybody and he put himself out there more than i think anyone in his position should. i really don't see it

edit: just disagree with someone without being jerks to them. it's not that hard to be moderately civilized. and if you think they're being jerks to you then whatever, be a better person and don't join on the circlejerk cos there's already enough of that going around

also i bought stellaris too. something about that fox girl mod making fun of a newt picture just convinced me to

zkylon

zkylewd
btw new roa on ori feels really good. just the general idea of having roa at like 10 minutes is really satisfying. i also really like new zhonyas, you can just buy fiendish codex after roa and turn it into morellos or zhonyas depending on the game

haven't bought abyssal yet, thought about rushing it on ahri but morellos is like 100 ap, that's super neat

also the shyv splash is suprisingly meh

Shyvana_Splash_6.jpg

something about the mouth but also how messy the pose is and how little empty space there is in the picture, the composition just looks bad imo

Ok, I take back what I said about poop dragon, this shit is hilarious when stacked. Melting Baron with 3 items with Jinx like I'm fucking Sated Yi.
Coming back here since Overwatch is over ;-;

How's the new patch? Any of the reworked mages too strong?
Malz is stupid
Zyra, Annie, Veigar, Syndra are strong
Brand and Velkoz is ok
Cass, Vlad and Swain are garbo

Top Bottom