• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT11| going

jerd

Idk I've only watched a few pbe games on him and i guess it's very likely people just aren't used to him yet but it looks like between the slow autos and reload mechanic he is super open to harass.

Just early impressions but I'm literally always wrong about champs prerelease so the opposite of my opinion is usually a safe bet

HowZatOZ

Banned
PuDa8nl.png

Think I did alright for today's self-gifting. Two 1350+ skins and the rest around 975 seems decent for 1960 RP.

nbraun80

interesting rito thread on state of juggernaut (offensive tanky) items

basically they plan on
- nerfing dead man's plate (too cost efficient)
- taking another look at randuins/sunfire
- looking into improving/rethinking titanic hydra into something that someone like nasus/udyr might take
yeah don't really think DMP needs a nerf, they just need to make randuins and sunfire better so you actually have a choice of the armor/health item to get. I like what they did with keystones, buff all the others and see if thunderlords still need a nerf, all too often rito nerfs one thing while buffing another just swinging the choice rather than balancing it.

Ferga

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Stop nerfing deadman's plate

And I do think titanic needs to be tinkered with. Only champs that make sense with it are reksai, volibear and jarvan.

Fiora.. kinda but it's pushing it.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Idk I've only watched a few pbe games on him and i guess it's very likely people just aren't used to him yet but it looks like between the slow autos and reload mechanic he is super open to harass.

Just early impressions but I'm literally always wrong about champs prerelease so the opposite of my opinion is usually a safe bet
It's easier to punish these kinds of openings in a solo lane, but it becomes much harder in a duo lane because there are more factors at play, and the engagements can last longer with the participation of allies. It's up to the support to head off the enemy and punish them when they look to punish a reloading Jhin, but the reload time should be short enough for Jhin to pick up the tail of most fights.

zkylon

zkylewd
it's much easier to nerf the outlier than buff everything else

your keystone example is also not valid cos keystones are mutually exclusive while these items are not. if you buff every item other than dead man's plate you just buffed an entire class to solve one problematic item, and you still didn't make that item any less strong (which is the problem rito sees)

nbraun80

it's much easier to nerf the outlier than buff everything else

your keystone example is also not valid cos keystones are mutually exclusive while these items are not. if you buff every item other than dead man's plate you just buffed an entire class to solve one problematic item, and you still didn't make that item any less strong (which is the problem rito sees)
this is all assuming DMP is a problem, seems to work as intended to me. Also you aren't buffing an entire class it's two items that are used pretty rarely, and you're only going to build one of the 3, maybe two for heavy ad.

zkylon

zkylewd
if u make all the armor items stronger then you're gonna start seeing them more often

buffing everything but the item to be nerfed is not how it works. i'm not saying dead man's plate is a problem cos i don't play tank, but if it is, then buffing everything else is not the solution

they only did it to the keystone masteries cos they're mutually exclusive and they were all nerfed to the ground just a few patches ago. and they're still nerfing thunderlords

pigeon

Banned
Dead mans plate is probably straightforwardly too good if people are regularly itemizing it on tanks. There are plenty of tank-specific defensive items for them to build. It probably just needs to do lose the burst damage, which is much more interesting for tanks than juggs.

pigeon

Banned
Those splashes are so good I can never buy the skins because they'll be disappointing in comparison. They should actually do the skins in a different art style next time.

Just had an amazing time playing Poppy top (I was supposed to be SUPPORT but the top person said they could only play top with Illaoi and she was banned. Otherwise they're a Sup main. I decided to bite the bullet and swap with them cause I just won a game with them as my Support and thought they were decent folk ... plus I atleast know the Poppy bare bones basics).

Was facing a Garen and figured it was gonna be a shitty time cause he's apparently a "juggernaut" champ and what lil I know about them is that they're tanks with massive dps and the best counter to them is to stay outta their range (aka, be a ADC or something I guess).

First trade we come out even and I'm like "..Huh ..". But he didn't want to farm, he wanted first blood so he keeps twirling at me and coming out on the losing end of our trades. I just gave him that ol Nope-pa-dope and take first blood from him.

This goes on and on, I kill him and the Kat from mid who tries to gank for him and suddenly I'm like 2 levels above him.

Bot lane was feeding though so that made that match longer than it shoulda been but we won, I was right up there with the top kills we had and flat out the lowest amount of deaths on our team. LOVE being able to take hits after playing Supporty Support and ADC for all this time.

Poppy is awesome! Chasing down a Trist who recently used her jump+flash and has just a tiny bit of health was so cute ... she must have forgotten my ranged AA.

On a side note, I finally have Jinx now!
Anyone else find the pricing on her skins to be strange? I mean ... they both have the same amount of cosmetic differences to the original but the more expensive one keeps the AT Jake dance and the cheaper one has an actual unique dance that matches the skin.
I mean, Fire Cracker LOOKS more vibrant and appealing to me but that's mainly because I'm not much of a fan of ol timey styles unless I think it matches the character. If she talked more like a BTAS character then it would fit :/

Banzai

I had seven Ranked losses in a row yesterday. Had a jungle Lee Sin who died twice on his red buff, a Draven that died in minute 3 and blamed me the jungler all game, and a TF that used his ult exclusively to feed other lanes, among others. That Bronze I life.

Wanted to calm down after all that with an ARAM. Lost that too.

- looking into improving/rethinking titanic hydra into something that someone like nasus/udyr might take

Thing is, Titanic Hydra is stronger than Ravenous and I've seen it being taken on Fiora and Renekton. In competitive play, I've seen more Titanic than Ravenous.

The problem is that Titanic is an item you get when you build tank items rather than an item you intentionally pick-up.

Nekofrog

Banned
it's taking on average 30 minutes to get a soloq game going right now. so many dodges by accident. at least im assuming it's an accident.

Talents

Banned
Jesus, they're really going to nerf Dead Mans Plate again. I think the last nerf was enough. It is a good item, yeah, but it doesn't need continuous nerfs.

Only thing I'd change about DMP right now is making it's passive less reliable by fiddling with how the MS decays if you get slowed or CCed.

Jesus, they're really going to nerf Dead Mans Plate again. I think the last nerf was enough. It is a good item, yeah, but it doesn't need continuous nerfs.

I agree, but Dead Man's Plate is in that peculiar position since it was one of the items released for the Black Market Brawlers, which had a lot of unbalanced and broken items like Mirage Blade and Puppeteers. I'm not surprised it's getting nerfed.

Honestly, the major problem with Deadman's is that it grants a shit ton of movement speed when fully charged and deals something like 200+ bonus damage, which adds up in a combo. It's a tank item that gives you damage and movement speed, eliminating weaknesses for juggernaut champions, but being too good on champions that don't need it.

Dead Man's Plate is really hard to balanced because of the passive alone. It was probably a mistake to release it as intended.

Edit: Also, fuck Elise with Runic Echoes, Boots of Swiftness and Deadman's Plate. Movement Speed has become an extremely easy stat to acquire this season, benefiting some champions way too much.

Quonny

It's be interesting if League went in the route of jungle enchants, but for most/all items.

Build Knight's Plate, then enchant it with something for the Dead Man's enchant, something else for less movement speed but slow, and something else for more movement speed and less slow, etc.

It'd be interesting and push their whole "choice" mantra.

It's be interesting if League went in the route of jungle enchants, but for most/all items.

Build Knight's Plate, then enchant it with something for the Dead Man's enchant, something else for less movement speed but slow, and something else for more movement speed and less slow, etc.

Actually, that sounds like a great idea.

jerd

Idk if that's all that different from the current system besides the fact that you'd have multiple items that are near identical.

Take glacial shroud for example. You can combine that with either a sheen, a warden's mail, or two amp tomes, and get wildly different items as a result. Items having niches is important. If you could fill too many of the exact criteria you want with one single item things might get messy

Quonny

Idk if that's all that different from the current system besides the fact that you'd have multiple items that are near identical.

Take glacial shroud for example. You can combine that with either a sheen, a warden's mail, or two amp tomes, and get wildly different items as a result. Items having niches is important. If you could fill too many of the exact criteria you want with one single item things might get messy

That's true. I think the whole item system could be streamlined a bit. Too many pieces building into too many things. And yeah, on top of the current system it would be messy.

garath

Maybe I should pick up Jax jungle. He seems to be wrecking all the soloQ games I play with him in it.

I like jungle jax, he takes a bit to ramp up though. Between devourer and the cost of rageblade it's a long time before he's super strong in the jungle.

I like jungle jax, he takes a bit to ramp up though. Between devourer and the cost of rageblade it's a long time before he's super strong in the jungle.

Yeah, I feel like Jax is better top lane because he's really item dependent. You don't want that type of champion in the jungle since I feel right now, support/gank heavy junglers can still do a lot even when behind because of their kit and base damage.

It's why even though I think Yi can be brutal once he get sated and such, they probably do a lot better in lane with farm.

Yeah, I feel like Jax is better top lane because he's really item dependent. You don't want that type of champion in the jungle since I feel right now, support/gank heavy junglers can still do a lot even when behind because of their kit and base damage.

It's why even though I think Yi can be brutal once he get sated and such, they probably do a lot better in lane with farm.
Yeah i agree that jax top, is better than jax jg.

Problem is champions like Yi have a hard time laning against real solo laners. Jax is similar, he's really match up dependant which is less of a problem in the jungle.

garath

Yi farms the jungle exceptionally well. It makes up for his item dependencies due to the clear speed. He gets the farm faster than jax would. Jax eventually gets to that lighting fast clear but not nearly as quickly as yi.

But don't forget midlane yi Alex ich used to run :) still he'd struggle a bit these days I think.

I just can't see Yi doing well against any common toplaner.

True. Yi struggles a lot in lane, but to a lesser extent it's kinda the same situation in the jungle against common junglers (Elise, Kindred, Lee). I guess him having his meditate solves that issue, but I don't know. My mindset of a jungler (and support) is how well they do on little resources and what utility they provide to the team because both roles requires the least resources.

For me, champions like Yi fall flat if they fall behind. But I guess it's the same with Rengar, though i'd argue that Rengar is instantly useful from Level 6 onwards and provide hard CC, while Yi runs up to them and risk being CC'd unless he dodges with Q.

subtles

Are they reworking the AP items with the mage update?

Also: I'm going to be on EUW for a few weeks if anyone wants to play.

How should I build fiora? After hydra and black cleaver I don't know what's good next, dmp maybe?

Hydra (Ravenous, then swap out for Titanic once you get some health), Black Cleaver, Deadman's Plate and Spirit Visage. Then it's a toss-up between Hexdrinker, Steraks or Bloodthirster.

Heavy magic comp? Hexdrinker. Lots of burst? Steraks. Tanks with thornmail? Bloodthirster, though you should keep Ravenous so you can have lots of lifesteal.

Newt

I like it mostly because it filters our the undesirables by forcing them to dodge if they fail to lock in or ban.

zkylon

zkylewd
gg oce rito
lol

These are the type of games that make me appreciate League of Legends, and the amount of enjoyment it brings.

-Quality, pertinent exchange of strategies between my teammates.
-Intense, mechanically skilled skirmishes with the enemy team.
-Friendly group environment.
-Sportsmanship between opposing teams.

I hate this game

lmao i'd miss this

that's like the best team comp ever lol

Thing is, Titanic Hydra is stronger than Ravenous and I've seen it being taken on Fiora and Renekton. In competitive play, I've seen more Titanic than Ravenous.

The problem is that Titanic is an item you get when you build tank items rather than an item you intentionally pick-up.
i think the issue is that tanks don't really go around autoing people a whole lot, at least not enough to build an item for it. fiora i'm pretty sure she starts ravenous and trades it for titanic (a mechanic rito added for reasons i'll never understand lol) but she shouldn't be building it, renek is ok since he's a hp stacking champ

it's a weird item, i'm not sure why ravenous has circle aoe while titanic has a cleave, i kind of feel it should be the other way around, but overall they just feel like wonky items to riot i think cos few ppl buy em

i think the issue with this is that rito uses build paths and stats to limit items from champions

say, zhonyas is tied to a whole lot of ap to make it undesirable for tanks and ad bruisers. it needs to be a combination of expensive ap items cos that active would be pretty strong on tanky ppl. similarly qss has a bf sword tied to it cos they only want squishies to build it. etc.

so if u have a lot of items building off the same recipe+ad/ap/hp/whatever i'm not sure if rito has the same freedom to balance around items and the whole balance might get super warped because of it

besides, it's not like it's so different from how regular items work. you have a nlr, you can "enchant it" by combining it with different kinds of items:
- blasting wand and amp tome for a whole lot of ap
- tear for mana stacking
- giant belt and amp tome for tankiness and slow (this is kinda wonky actually)
- aether wisp for ms passive and burst
- seekers for armor tankiness and zhonyas active

it's kinda the same, really

Top Bottom