• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT11| going

Nekofrog

Banned
i understand where you're coming from, i just thought i'd segue from that to a story about how a yasuo/zed main didn't become a frothing-at-the-mouth jerk when he didn't get his champions. like if anyone's gonna do it, it's gonna be that guy, but he didn't. it was so refreshing i actually went through the lobby with a leblanc on my team (and i really didn't want to hit 40 minutes in queue/lobby time cumulatively as rex pointed out last night while i was still in queue)

last night, i was 4th pick on blue side. our fifth pick "mained" yasuo and said he was going to play it. his kda was 1.3 and his winrate was bad, so i banned it. the guy behind me banned zed, the other champion he plays.
How do you check people's win rate at champ select?

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Hmm, maybe it's both?

This person still got some good deals on champs they do own (GREAT Ahri deal. Wonder if they play a lot of Riven given they got 2 for her) and maybe they played Ashe and Lux for free weeks and did well with them (My 3rd highest mastery champ is Lulu ... because I played her hard for a free week when I got bored of Janna. Only recently got her with money for half off)

Been trying to find out as much as I can about this.

I remember doing the Snow thing. I had just gotten LoL on my comp and had not played a real game at the time. Got to the screen and just opened the tabs cause buttons and when I realized they weren't free I completely forgot about them. But now I have like 21 champs and a level 5 Trist as my only level 5 champ so far, hoping this results in better dragon trainer chances.

I have a photographic memory. This user doesn't own Ashe or Lux.

Rough that you can't remember things in great detail like I can, Zky.

ZQmuNDy.jpg

man this user got lucky
That's me, I played lux maybe once before, played Riven a lot but realized I suck with her, yes I bought the ahri skin

garath

i understand where you're coming from, i just thought i'd segue from that to a story about how a yasuo/zed main didn't become a frothing-at-the-mouth jerk when he didn't get his champions. like if anyone's gonna do it, it's gonna be that guy, but he didn't. it was so refreshing i actually went through the lobby with a leblanc on my team (and i really didn't want to hit 40 minutes in queue/lobby time cumulatively as rex pointed out last night while i was still in queue)

I liked your story. It was the feel good league of Legends story of the year.

Yasuo is such a hate magnet. IMO he's pretty balanced, and can be counter picked rather reliably. It just feels like shit when a good yas outplays you, or to be more specific, a fed yasuo blows up your team. I think yasuo would benefit from the ekko treatment, and had clearer windows of power.

pigeon

Banned
Yasuo is such a hate magnet. IMO he's pretty balanced, and can be counter picked rather reliably. It just feels like shit when a good yas outplays you, or to be more specific, a fed yasuo blows up your team. I think yasuo would benefit from the ekko treatment, and had clearer windows of power.

Part of the problem is that Yasuo is designed to be a melee ADC, and ADCs don't really work if they have strongly defined windows of power because the point is supposed to be that they can emit constant sustained damage if left alone.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I love new champ select. Has made the game so much better at organising strangers and actually formulating a plan. Instead of people just locking in shit and not communicating they actually do communicate and work together.

Bacon

Nope it feels worse when a yasuo main goes 1/15 on your team.

I was running Graves jungle today, and the enemy yasuo fed our Ahri 5 times before the midgame even started. He managed to get an ult off on two of our carries in a fight. I landed my q and r on him and he was dead before he even hit the ground. What kills you is the fact that he played hyperagressive the entire game, no matter how many times he died. Like, what dont people understand about playing safe on assasins?

kenbo

Part of the problem is that Yasuo is designed to be a melee ADC, and ADCs don't really work if they have strongly defined windows of power because the point is supposed to be that they can emit constant sustained damage if left alone.

noooo
hes a 'light fighter'

Talents

Banned
Is normal dynamic queue matchmaking fucked? Me and a few friends played earlier and all 3 games we were against Bronze players or even under level 30s. I was diamond last season.

kenbo

I don't know what that means. I think it might be Riot code for melee ADC. Does it include Tryndamere and Yi?

a light fighter is a fighter class with mobility/tricks in lieu of resists/hp to enable them to survive in melee range
soo all melee adc are light fighters but not all light fighters are melee adc

e.g. fizz

garath

I don't think I can use bot as a secondary role. I literally get it every single time. Even though it is probably my best secondary role I can't be forced into it every time. Guess mid is my new secondary. I'll need to specialize in one or two champs if I'm going to make it work.

I thought they were going to do more to prioritize primary roles. I literally wait for a match for about 10 seconds. I'd happily wait longer for jungle.

Yasuo is an excellent champ. It's just that he's a magnet for baddies, which is what people hate. I ban Yasuo just so no one in my team plays him. Not risking it for the 1/10 chance a teammate is actually a one trick pony who can 1v5 with him.

kenbo

huh, I've never heard of a "light fighter" in league before

it's Riot's class language.

we have marksmen to encompass ranged shooter class
we got fighters right to encompass a 'melee' class who want to stay in fights and deal constant damage
this is contrasted to assassins who aim to go in and get out
and tanks who want to disrupt/soak/engage

but fighters range from mundo and garen down to fiora and yasuo so we have the designations heavy - mid - light, depending on how much tankiness vs tricks they have.

heavy fighter: mundo
mid fighter: jax
light fighter: yasuo

pigeon

Banned
Yasuo is an excellent champ. It's just that he's a magnet for baddies, which is what people hate. I ban Yasuo just so no one in my team plays him. Not risking it for the 1/10 chance a teammate is actually a one trick pony who can 1v5 with him.

Yeah, I think Yasuo is fine -- he's certainly a much better implementation of melee ADC than Tryndamere. Fundamentally the only problem is that it's already really hard to play an ADC and it's even harder if they're melee, so basically you should just never play Yasuo as a rule because he's too hard to play.

I'm surprised nobody tries to play him as a bot lane carry, actually. He would probably be easier to play with a support than he is by himself in mid or whatever.

TheFlow

Banned
I think this is what is happening to me since I got placed there.
yea you don't notice how tunneled visions some players are till you get out bronze for yourself and watch the pros play every week.

Things I see in every one on my b2 games

1.chasing across the map

2.fighting for too long

3.face checking when you are not a tank

4. still trying to solo someone when they are either 2 levels above you or already beat you 3 times in lane.

5.pick choices, aka I have had a yi mid in 3 of my 5 past games. Is this a new thing?

So I didn't want to try ranked placements for another few weeks because of how iffy everyone seems to be placed.

I'm sat here at my girlfriends house, chilling in my boxers, as you do.

"Want a game of League?" she says.

"Yeah sure"

We start the game, I want to try out Darius top, she gets relegated to support instead of mid because of champ selection. Darius gets banned so I take my main, Naut (I was first pick so didn't know who I'd be playing against so went with my safest choice for fun.)

Get double kill on jungler Lee Sin and enemy Fiora at around level 3. Get so far ahead I decide to just go full on AP assassin Naut and basically become walking death with Liandry's and Abyssal. Won the game at around 8/4 (wasn't tanky as normal so I died in a few team fights). Was about to build into Lich Bane.

Girlfriend was all "Support is so boring, that was easy."

"Yeah. Want another?"

"Sure"

I go to make another game. Realise ranked is at the top of the game mode list now.

"Huh, babe, ranked is at the top of the list now, how weird"

"Wait... what. Errr... look at your match history."

"Why?"

"We accidentally just played a ranked game and completely decimated them by accident."

We just laughed for about 10 minutes solid.

pigeon

Banned
huh, I've never heard of a "light fighter" in league before

Another fun part of this discussion is that I'm pretty sure a bunch of that terminology is pre-Ghostcrawler and since they got him they started redesigning all their classification. Theoretically they're going to give us a dev blog to explain how they view classes at some point. I'm kind of expecting them to also change up the champ descriptions to give us class and lane, rather than just "Marksman" and expect you to know that guy goes bot lane as the carry. (Because Kindred or Graves, for example, usually don't.)

Nekofrog

Banned
I don't think I can use bot as a secondary role. I literally get it every single time. Even though it is probably my best secondary role I can't be forced into it every time. Guess mid is my new secondary. I'll need to specialize in one or two champs if I'm going to make it work.

I thought they were going to do more to prioritize primary roles. I literally wait for a match for about 10 seconds. I'd happily wait longer for jungle.

I put top /mid every time and not one time have I not gotten top

Rex puts jungle mid when we play and I swear he gets mid 80%of the time

Kenai

In my ~12 ranked games I have gotten mid twice as support/mid. I'm ok with that, slowing working on Ziggs mastery.

Nah it's cool, it's my fault for not being more descriptive. One nice thing about gutter tier is that there's fast matches I guess lol.

zkylon

zkylewd
it's Riot's class language.

we have marksmen to encompass ranged shooter class
we got fighters right to encompass a 'melee' class who want to stay in fights and deal constant damage
this is contrasted to assassins who aim to go in and get out
and tanks who want to disrupt/soak/engage

but fighters range from mundo and garen down to fiora and yasuo so we have the designations heavy - mid - light, depending on how much tankiness vs tricks they have.

heavy fighter: mundo
mid fighter: jax
light fighter: yasuo
i've never heard of heavy and mid fighters from the mouths of rito?

zkylon

zkylewd
in case anyone missed it from reddit, rito made 1.628 billion in 2015

according to that site that's a bunch more than clash of clans, and it's about a third the sales from physical games copies?

that's pretty insane, rito is ridiculously rich

and at a time like this one can only wonder

why are syndra skins so crappy

ive never heard of heavy/medium fighters from riot, but i know for sure 100% ive heard them use the term light fighter
yeah, for sure. light fighter = yasuo, fiora, tryndamere, yi, riven.

if you're melee but u build squishy and "tank" through mobility/timing/etc. you're a light fighter

mundo is kind of a juggernaut

jax is kind of a weird thing, fighters are weird in general

Talents

Banned
So 2 things that are dumb about dynamic queue so far. 1. If you pick Mid you hardly ever get it. In the amount of lobbys I've been in today, I have gotten mid twice out of 10-15 lobbys. 2. People seem incapable of locking in a champ or banning, which causes everyone to get sent back to searching. Me and this 1 guy who I keep getting into the same queue with, have been trying to get into a game for over an hour at the moment. Why did they even make it so it is a necessity to lock in since people seem to have trouble understanding how to?

Balthuk

in case anyone missed it from reddit, rito made 1.628 billion in 2015

according to that site that's a bunch more than clash of clans, and it's about a third the sales from physical games copies?

that's pretty insane, rito is ridiculously rich

and at a time like this one can only wonder

why are syndra skins so crappy

These last years, riot has so much money that I look at it like an experiment. What can a company do when it suddenly has a LOT of money and isn't developing a game that could have a sequel / non-skin dlc. It is really fascinating to see how they are now spending money for cinematics, skins, overhauls, and little details that only such a big sack of money could allow them to do.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
These last years, riot has so much money that I look at it like an experiment. What can a company do when it suddenly has a LOT of money and isn't developing a game that could have a sequel / non-skin dlc. It is really fascinating to see how they are now spending money for cinematics, skins, overhauls, and little details that only such a big sack of money could allow them to do.
Well now that a chinese company owns them, I expect some changes.

zkylon

zkylewd
xypherous on dead man's plate nerf vs buffing keystones

The reason why you can take that kind of approach in Masteries is two-fold:
1. You can't stack them - so overpowering a lot of them at the same time has little risk.
2. We know you are 99% likely to have minimum one - so overpowering a lot of them at the same time has little risk.

When you blanket buff all the armor items across the board - what you're actually doing is weakening physical damage dealers in general and increasing the power of the tank class. This approach is extremely dangerous in the item space because characters tend to stack similar item types.

see, i know how rito thinks, almost verbatim

xypherous and me share an intimate ori bond

just hire me already rito, cmon

i have so many ideas!

Well now that a chinese company owns them, I expect some changes.
tencent's owned rito for years and nothing's changed for bad. if anything rito was a much worse company before lol

Yet Eve and every skin of her's still looks like trash ... huh.
she's probably on their shortlist, but ppl have been doing triage for a while and it hasn't been her turn yet

i agree

following how they've evolved their business model and dealt with stuff over the years has been super interesting

Nekofrog

Banned
never once in all of my games have i heard anyone complain about deadmans plate

it seems pretty universal that people love the item and don't see it as problematic in its current state

you gotta give tanks SOMETHING to stick that also synergies with their class. they did that well with deadmans.

Hard

Banned
never once in all of my games have i heard anyone complain about deadmans plate

it seems pretty universal that people love the item and don't see it as problematic in its current state

you gotta give tanks SOMETHING to stick that also synergies with their class. they did that well with deadmans.

Mooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooore ADC whining as usual from all those precious widdle Vayne mains.

On a serious note, it's probably because armor items are so cost efficient right now, and Dead Man's leads the pack. Maybe they'll up the cost, maybe they'll reduce the power of the active, I dunno. I hope the Sunfire and Randuin's buffs make it more viable, though. The 10% crit reduction on Randuin's is useless considering ADC's can just stack tons of crit and delete people regardless.

Top Bottom