• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT11| going

Newt

I'm satisfied that they're restricting diamond to 3 people max. What I'm not satisfied with is the queue times.

I just think there wasn't much wrong with the old system.

Nekofrog

Banned
this is going to be the last and final time I complain about dynamic queue queue times:

right now matchmaking treats me like babychallenger with the amount of time it takes to find a game sometimes, and I don't want to be treated like babychallenger when I'm so bad at the game

clemenx

Banned
Isn't champ select more at fault with the queue times? I think that and dynamic queue are separate issues.

I really have no idea what could be done there. People will always shift towards the exciting positions where you can make sick plays. I do wish that, as someone who puts support as secondary it hadn't become my primary role lol.

Leezard

I think new champ select is fantastic. I don't particularly care for dynamic queue, but I have played a lot more ranked this season thanks to it; we are often a group of 3 and we were stuck playing normals in previous seasons. There's probably like 70 games out of 180 that are 3 man. Usually I didn't have more than around 200 ranked games per season. Now we can't play as 3 in ranked anymore since one of my friends is D5 and I'm D2, but I'm still playing a lot of ranked, and that's likely mostly due to new champ select.

23qwerty

When can we like individual posts?

When you type "league of legends official forum" into your browser and hit enter.

Wow, paired with guys who lost the will of fight back after some deaths, like they dont know what a comeback is in their minds, they start to play pretty bad and do nothing the whole game

First ranked game of the night (well, first and last game of the night).

Let's keep the Sion mid train-a-chuggin.
Still gotta deal with the "Moon, you wanna top? you Suuuure you don't wanna top?" shit when I lock in Sion. Like they think I'm trollin or something and really I'm just aching to play a tank top in the lane of "forever counters". :/ (it's like clockwork when i pick Sion. Someone picks either a ranged annoying top like Kennen or Garbo Gnar OR they pick a dashy dash fighter top in an attempt to exploit the fact that Sion's whole kit is skill shots. They normally never bother with picking a melee tank).

Zynx

I don't post here much since I don't feel I really fit in here, but I want to chime in with a counterpoint to the "more people are playing ranked, so it must be successful."

I used to play team builder exclusively. When it disappeared, I played normals - while new champ select didn't allow you to guarantee the champ you wanted to play (or avoid joining team compositions you didn't like), it seemed to be the best alternative for a more casual player like me. But matchmaking nowadays is completely screwed up in normals. Games are complete stomps either way and many games feels like there was nothing I could have done (given my ability) to affect the outcome of the game. I actually had a traumatizing (heh) event where I had just purchased Kindred and played my first game as her as a jungler, no premade party. I went to gank the enemy mid viktor, got immediately bursted by his combo. That game seriously caused me to never played kindred jungle again. I still haven't, to this day. I later found out that I had been matched with a diamond viktor (while I had finished my placements into bronze), which helped me finally realize why games were so stompy both ways. I was contemplating giving up the game when a friend suggested that ranked matchmaking was less lopsided, and the queue times were better, so I gave it a try. And it turns out that the games did feel more fair, and my queue times were lower - although still much longer than before dynamic queue/new champion select.

So yeah, I'm one of the low level players who now plays more ranked than before. Because all the other options are terrible.

Newt

Wait, you play Sion midlane?

I don't post here much since I don't feel I really fit in here, but I want to chime in with a counterpoint to the "more people are playing ranked, so it must be successful."

I used to play team builder exclusively. When it disappeared, I played normals - while new champ select didn't allow you to guarantee the champ you wanted to play (or avoid team compositions you didn't like), it seemed to be the best alternative for a more casual player like me. But matchmaking nowadays is completely screwed up in normals. Games are complete stomps either way and many games feels like there was nothing I could have done (given my ability) to affect the outcome of the game. I actually had a traumatizing (heh) event where I had just purchased Kindred and played my first game as her as a jungler, no premade party. I went to gank the enemy mid viktor, got immediately bursted by his combo. That game seriously caused me to never played kindred jungle again. I still haven't, to this day. I later found out that I had been matched with a diamond viktor (while I had finished my placements into bronze), which helped me finally realize why games were so stompy both ways. I was contemplating giving up the game when a friend suggested that ranked matchmaking was less lopsided, and the queue times were better, so I gave it a try. And it turns out that the games did feel more fair, and my queue times were lower - although still much longer than before dynamic queue/new champion select.

So yeah, I'm one of the low level players who now plays more ranked than before. Because all the other options are terrible.
Well I think this was always the case, even before dynamic queue. Normals, especially blind pick, have always be awful.

Leezard

I used to play team builder exclusively. When it disappeared, I played normals - while new champ select didn't allow you to guarantee the champ you wanted to play (or avoid joining team compositions you didn't like), it seemed to be the best alternative for a more casual player like me. But matchmaking nowadays is completely screwed up in normals. Games are complete stomps either way and many games feels like there was nothing I could have done (given my ability) to affect the outcome of the game. I actually had a traumatizing (heh) event where I had just purchased Kindred and played my first game as her as a jungler, no premade party. I went to gank the enemy mid viktor, got immediately bursted by his combo. That game seriously caused me to never played kindred jungle again. I still haven't, to this day. I later found out that I had been matched with a diamond viktor (while I had finished my placements into bronze), which helped me finally realize why games were so stompy both ways. I was contemplating giving up the game when a friend suggested that ranked matchmaking was less lopsided, and the queue times were better, so I gave it a try. And it turns out that the games did feel more fair, and my queue times were lower - although still much longer than before dynamic queue/new champion select.

This has always been the case with normals. Team builder was even worse in terms of matchmaking, in my experience.

Wait, you play Sion midlane?
Yes, yes I do.
(that being said, almost all my few Sion ranked games are top because the role selection process likes to annoy me. Which is part of why I wanna learn some non melee tops who can also mid like Kennen and Karthus)
I actually had a traumatizing (heh) event where I had just purchased Kindred and played my first game as her as a jungler, no premade party. I went to gank the enemy mid viktor, got immediately bursted by his combo. That game seriously caused me to never played kindred jungle again.

I feel you on that.

Back when I was new to the game I had that happen with a few champs. Hell, half the reason I don't wanna try JG is because of how mean some Spanish speaking mofos were to me when I tried out Stabby Kitty ...

zkylon

zkylewd
ok, finally got around watching the video and reading the article

mid/support (aka my preferred two options) has a 16% chance of getting mid right now. sigh, that's a fucking joke, can't believe that's the current state after this many months

video and data do little to convince me and the plan ahead doesn't seem super detailed outside of high elo. i guess it's all down to tuning, but eh

and they still don't address the fact that they removed ranked 5s which really pisses me off since it was my favorite part of playing league

edit: also on top of the super weird argument of "more ppl playing ranked now than ever!" is the "less toxicity" point that's just very curious because not only it's such an obvious idea (people generally won't berate their premade and if they do they're probably on skype or whatever and they just yell at each other like i do with my friends) but also because it's like the worst possible answer to give people

remember this is not a video that's made for everyone, this video is specifically made to calm down the people at reddit, the people that are really pissed off about the system and the people that have always made fun of riot in their anti toxicity quest

so using that angle to defend this system is just so strange to me

honestly this is just a mess, i really don't understand what riot's thinking or who they're consulting this shit with, it feels like they don't know what the hell they're doing

you can gank syndra from lvl 0 to level 20

syndra da squishiest

poke poke
i've oneshot so many lee sins and rengars

but yeah ofc if the gank's good she's squishy

Blizzard

Banned
I'm only silver 4 but the queue times alone were almost enough to cure me of League addiction again. It's hard to get addicted to ranked grinding when queues and lobbies are 5-10 minutes with dodges, especially with rage / griefing / stomps.

I didn't spend money on skins though, so I understand I may not be the Riot target audience. :p

Newt

I'm only silver 4 but the queue times alone were almost enough to cure me of League addiction again. It's hard to get addicted to ranked grinding when queues and lobbies are 5-10 minutes with dodges, especially with rage / griefing / stomps.

I didn't spend money on skins though, so I understand I may not be the Riot target audience. :p
I find this a bit hard to believe.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I find this a bit hard to believe.

which part? It's the same in bronze, unless you want to play support it's 3-4 minutes for each queue, plus multiple dodges/failed lock ins means you're waiting anywhere from 5-10 minutes just to start loading a match.

Newt

What do you mean, G2 at MSI is the perfect representation of the EU region :').

No, but seriously, good article.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Wait what the hell is this about a forced auto fill? Are they legit gonna make you play shit like support? That can't go through, no way is Riot that retarded.

Why is it. The way things are at it's clear that they can't get all three major aspects without a specific aspect falling short. The three things being match quality, role designation, and queue time.

So I started playing ranked again as of two nights ago and so far it has been a disaster for me. The first game I played Fiora top and we lost because our mid picked Twisted Fate and he fed Pantheon super hard which enabled him to roam and go ruin bot's day. The second game I played top again and we lost because bot got stomped and their MF got fed. The third game I playing top again, but our Garen who must have qued Jungler/Top refused to Jungle and started whining in champion select that he wanted to top lane so he just locked it anyway and we lost because I can't jungle and didn't have the build or smite to even try.

Sucks cause I'm just starting out so this will probably leave me in Bronze hell.

Talents

Banned
Why is it. The way things are at it's clear that they can't get all three major aspects without a specific aspect falling short. The three things being match quality, role designation, and queue time.

What's the point of being able to search as 2 roles if they're gonna make it so you have a chance to get one of the other 3? It's literally just forcing people to dodge whenever they don't get either of their 2 roles. For me it means that I'll just dodge and if I don't get my 2 roles, I won't play any more games that day as if I dodge again after that, I'd lose 15lp. I have literally no idea how to play top, jungle or support at a D1/Masters level, I tried learning a few of the other roles at the start of the season but couldn't, hell I barely can play ADC well as I usually don't do anything in the laning phase.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
What's the point of being able to search as 2 roles if they're gonna make it so you have a chance to get one of the other 3? It's literally just forcing people to dodge whenever they don't get either of their 2 roles. For me it means that I'll just dodge and if I don't get my 2 roles, I won't play any more games that day as if I dodge again after that, I'd lose 15lp. I have literally no idea how to play top, jungle or support at a D1/Masters level, I tried learning a few of the other roles at the start of the season but couldn't, hell I barely can play ADC well as I usually don't do anything in the laning phase.

If that's the case then you'll have to have either really long queue times or quality of the matches might drop. Unfortunate but that's the reality at the moment.

Talents

Banned
If that's the case then you'll have to have either really long queue times or quality of the matches might drop. Unfortunate but that's the reality at the moment.

I'm one of the people who don't really care about queue times. I sometimes wait for 40 minutes + at like 3-4 am and don't care. I just watch streams.

pigeon

Banned
well, my article is live.

kinda cool to see my work in the first card of the client

Cool article, interesting stuff. I know nothing about EULCS so it's nice to get this background.

and i think more people playing ranked is a really strange goal to have when it involves drastically changing what ranked is. like "more people than ever are playing ranked" is a lie in itself because ranked is no longer the same thing. you can't say that because the real quote would be something like "more people are playing new mode than people played old mode". you didn't show new players how cool ranked is, you changed ranked so it would appeal to them

You're thinking of ranked as a play experience, and noting that it's changed. They're thinking of ranked as a metagame that adds stickiness, which is the part that didn't change. People play games more if they have a visible sign of their progress that they can point to and continually improve. If people felt like they couldn't play ranked, they never got access to that metagame, which meant they didn't have that thing pulling them back to League.

The thing that's most surprising to me is that the new system (both NCS and dynamic queue) basically just failed in a predictable way. If you let people choose their best roles, it will lead to better games, guaranteed, but it also leads to longer queue times because each player is now only 40% of a player for the purposes of making a match. So far, so obvious. It's equally clear that this problem will be worse as the existing playerbase at that elo is smaller, and even worse when you allow premades because they constrict the matchmaker even further.

So, like, if this problem caused issues in Silver, then I buy the argument that there wasn't any way to know. But it strikes me as somewhat problematic that the system broke down at Diamond+ and Riot didn't really expect that, because that is the specific small group of players that should be a) significantly more quantifiable and b) significantly more likely to get affected. Doing both a premade limit and the autofill is basically admitting that none of the new stuff works at Diamond ELO at all.

I will say that I'm not likely to get to Diamond so all the new systems have just made my life better. But I think it's a little disappointing and problematic to change the game partway through ranked.

Talents

Banned
That's pretty much what old school solo/duo queue was, but I'm sure there will still be tons of whining from all the diamond+ players who wanted solo q back so much :^)

Yeah except now they've removed the old system and replaced it with this garbage new one. The only good thing about the new one was you were guaranteed 1 of 2 specific roles. Now they're altering the only good thing about it to make it infinitely worse.

Leezard

The one thing with the forced autofill is that you get a notice before you join queue if there's a risk that you have to autofill; a rioter on reddit said that, at least.

I'm sure that notice will be on all the time for challenger players, but we'll see how it is for the lower ranks.

I'm guessing support mains won't need to see it that much.

The autofill thing is weird because Riot is basically doing this weird S5/S6 queue hybrid Frankenstein monster thing, if you're Diamond and above you kinda sorta not really have the old queue if the planets align sometimes?

Talents

Banned
Honestly it's kinda refreshing to play support every now and again though. I feel so much less tilted.

The problem is I can't support. Sometimes when I play with my bronze/silver friends in normals I'll support for shits and gigs, and I kid you not, I am unable to win lane against lows silvers. I just don't know how to support. I tried learning how to last year when the old system was still in place but I couldn't.

The problem is I can't support. Sometimes when I play with my bronze/silver friends in normals I'll support for shits and gigs, and I kid you not, I am unable to win lane against lows silvers. I just don't know how to support. I tried learning how to last year when the old system was still in place but I couldn't.

Huh. You started ranking last year?

When I started 4 years ago, sometimes you were just forced to support. In combination with that and watching other supports, you kinda just learned what to do, when to be aggressive, when to engage/disengage.

These days I feel that if D-queue does anything, is limit the knowledge a player gains by letting them pick their favorite roles each time.

Talents

Banned
Huh. You started ranking last year?

When I started 4 years ago, sometimes you were just forced to support. In combination with that and watching other supports, you kinda just learned what to do, when to be aggressive, when to engage/disengage.

These days I feel that if D-queue does anything, is limit the knowledge a player gains by letting them pick their favorite roles each time.

No I started playing in season 4 but never bothered learning support. So in Season 5 I played for like a week in normals as support to try and learn but couldn't, so whenever I ended up getting support in ranked, I'd just play a fairly passive support like Janna and just shield my adc constantly.

Janna is probably a good 'go to' support if you don't know how to support. She's mainly disengage/chase, so she's kinda braindead in that way compared to other supports.

zkylon

zkylewd
you know what, i'm kind of curious what a breezy ot would look like

maybe next one we'll do a collaboration haha

well, my article is live.

kinda cool to see my work in the first card of the client
congrats costy, will read when i get back from work

You're thinking of ranked as a play experience, and noting that it's changed. They're thinking of ranked as a metagame that adds stickiness, which is the part that didn't change. People play games more if they have a visible sign of their progress that they can point to and continually improve. If people felt like they couldn't play ranked, they never got access to that metagame, which meant they didn't have that thing pulling them back to League.
i totally get what you're saying, but the way i see the problem here is that it's not so much that these people weren't served by ranked, it's more like they weren't served by normals

pwyff really gets into it MUCH BETTER in his twitlonger post (i don't have the link on me but it's easy to find), but the idea is that ranked symbolizes "competitive league" and that competitive league is more than 1v9ing. and i very much agree with that, i only play league with friends and while i don't have a very strong competitive drive i still want to play the game competitively and not the lame "for funsies" normal way

so the idea that competitive league isn't just a solo q thing is something i can totally relate to

issue is that now is just too messy. like my ranked 5s elo is mixed with my solo q elo is mixed with my "goofing with friends" elo and i just don't know what the rank is supposed to mean anymore

it's just confusing and rito messaging never really helped

Top Bottom