• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT11| going

No more skin sales at launch. I think they have early sales for skins 4-6 months after they come out I think. I'd post the link but @ lecture

Oh. In other news, I just found out that I won't be buying anymore skins at launch ever again. Unless it's in the bracket that never goes on sale.

be less greedy, Riot.

Oh. In other news, I just found out that I won't be buying anymore skins at launch ever again. Unless it's in the bracket that never goes on sale.

be less greedy, Riot.
The difference in this system is that every non ultimate skin will have a guaranteed sale down the line as opposed to having to wait years for it.

If one out of three skins not having a small discount at launch is the price so be it.

garath

be less greedy, Riot.

Yeah..when they announced it they surrounded it with the news that also skins that would never get a sale before would also get sales in that timeframe and there was much rejoycing. I was pretty unhappy about losing the launch discount though. I can't bring myself to pay full 1350 price for a skin at launch. That's way too much.

They probably found people would buy at launch for a discount then little to no sales of that tier until it went on sale eventually. This way they get the cash for the people that have to have it on launch and another boost when it goes on sale in 4 months. Good for them, bad for us.

Edwardo

5-1 so far in placements. The one loss was just one of those games where every lane was behind and we couldn't get anything good going. All the other ones were pretty much smooth sailing. I think the hardest part has been getting teammates to not flounder in the middle of the game.

jerd

The difference in this system is that every non ultimate skin will have a guaranteed sale down the line as opposed to having to wait years for it.

If one out of three skins not having a small discount at launch is the price so be it.

And we get 4 sales instead of 3 now so it's not all bad

Coming back to League after a year. What are the major changes I should be aware of?

Masteries are the biggest one. Look up that, tank items, and every adc pretty much got a small to moderate rework

zkylon

zkylewd

yeah and with the 8 weekly sales vs 6 it's kind of a better, more predictable system overall

Besides, launch discounts are basically a placebo IMO. Leftover RP nonwithstanding, you're paying 10 bucks for a 975 skin and you're paying 10 bucks for a 1350 skin thanks to how Riot's NA pricing structure works so eh

garath

There's no reason that they couldn't have kept launch sales and still subsequently upped the number or frequency of other sales. This is the carrot riot dangled in front of us when they got rid of launch sales that I was talking about.

The fact is, they got rid of launch sales to make more money. It is not to the consumer benefit. The other aspects are nice but doesn't change that fact.

zkylon

zkylewd
There's no reason that they couldn't have kept launch sales and still subsequently upped the number or frequency of other sales. This is the carrot riot dangled in front of us when they got rid of launch sales that I was talking about.

The fact is, they got rid of launch sales to make more money. It is not to the consumer benefit. The other aspects are nice but doesn't change that fact.
they changed their pricing strategy

all of it is about money

Ashhong

Her AA and range seem worse than most of the other mids I play. Ziggs, Annie, Lux, Morg, n Ahri I seem to have a much easier time farming with than her. That and her E positioning for a kill/gank

The only mid I have a harder time with is Swain and that's because his point in click spells and AA have different ranges on them which is annoying.

set it up to use her Q to farm when you have trouble. Her free mana passive makes this easy. Make sure you line them up when you Q farm. A couple of hits and they will be playing pretty passive against you, making it easier for you to AA. Then for her E..you just E in to where they are or where they might dodge to, W and combo the rest. Or R if you have it.

She's really all about her Q harass/poke. The range is deceptively far. At least, that's how I play her lol. I could be bad and wrong.

Did Riot say it was to the "consumer's benefit"? I feel like they say that alot, and it's pretty annoying. Like, if you're going to change your prices and strategy that's fine. Don't try to say it's for our benefit. I just did the League survey in my email and it said something along the lines of "Do you feel Riot always prices things to best benefit their players". I put strongly disagree.

There are benefits to consumers as well. Skins that would never get discounts will now get them and you won't have to wait a long time to get discounts on new skins.

If you can wait you never have to pay full price on anything but Ultimate skins. Also who said launch sales are for the consumer's benefit as opposed to pressuring them into buying the skin ASAP? "Get this now or lose money!" that's marketing 101 lol, how many 1350 skins you wouldn't have bought at launch because of the pricing? Exactly.

zkylon

zkylewd
rito is a company, they might be a nicer-than-most company, but since they're a company, they're always gonna try to make more money

so u have to expect to never find net positives in their sales structure cos they're always gonna be a "but"

"Do you feel Riot always prices things to best benefit their players" would be a ridiculous statement to agree with, even if their pricing is super reasonable compared to your average f2p

set it up to use her Q to farm when you have trouble. Her free mana passive makes this easy. Make sure you line them up when you Q farm. A couple of hits and they will be playing pretty passive against you, making it easier for you to AA. Then for her E..you just E in to where they are or where they might dodge to, W and combo the rest. Or R if you have it.

She's really all about her Q harass/poke. The range is deceptively far. At least, that's how I play her lol. I could be bad and wrong.
i feel that's kind of double edged thing tho as you can end up pushing the lane if u overuse q and while she has aan escape most junglers will just flash stun you and chain it with the other mid and you'll never get to dash out.

but yeah, make good use of the passive to get free poke+shove and prep your minions so you clear them with one big q.

she's great if you're duoing with your jungler, she's pretty good in 2v2s, to assist ganks, counterganks and dives, that amount of easy-to-land cc and the ability to drop turret aggro is super strong

if u have a duo jungler just permashove from the side of the jungle they're in and bait ganks so you can 2v2 easily

except against kindred cos kindred is kinda broken

Ashhong

i feel that's kind of double edged thing tho as you can end up pushing the lane if u overuse q and while she has aan escape most junglers will just flash stun you and chain it with the other mid and you'll never get to dash out.

but yeah, make good use of the passive to get free poke+shove and prep your minions so you clear them with one big q.

she's great if you're duoing with your jungler, she's pretty good in 2v2s, to assist ganks, counterganks and dives, that amount of easy-to-land cc and the ability to drop turret aggro is super strong

if u have a duo jungler just permashove from the side of the jungle they're in and bait ganks so you can 2v2 easily

except against kindred cos kindred is kinda broken

True, you have to ward up and be careful of ganks. Or shove it in, TP bot and get a double kill =P

Because capitalism ain't so simple and catering exclusively to consumers is a quick way to go out of business.

League was just announced the most profitable game of last year or whatever. Having a 2$ discount for 1-2 weeks is not going to kill them.

But like I said, nothing wrong with them changing up their plan to best suit their company. I just don't like how they try to paint it as if it's all about the players.

zkylon

zkylewd
True, you have to ward up and be careful of ganks. Or shove it in, TP bot and get a double kill =P
yeah, tp lizzy is super strong (i did it before it was cool!) but i like ignite too much not to take it :T

League was just announced the most profitable game of last year or whatever. Having a 2$ discount for 1-2 weeks is not going to kill them.

But like I said, nothing wrong with them changing up their plan to best suit their company. I just don't like how they try to paint it as if it's all about the players.
i mean, it's not gonna kill them, but more money is more money and they're not gonna just throw it away. they've got the data, they see this change as generally a better thing for both them and the players and they add their caveats so they don't lose any money

and yeah the "it's all for the players" thing, that's just rito. just ignore it :p

TheFlow

Banned
just had another sona plus a ad kennen cost us the game. Might start banning sona.

but who plays ad kennen! in bronze no less. The man went 0/8/2 . of course the enemy team bad mannered us the whole time even though I was 5/7 which was the best score on our team o_O

p.s our jungler was 4/12

Kenai

Yea the #1 thing to remember in business is that there can never be "too much" profit. We are talking bout the US ideals here, companies can make billions and it still be "bad" cause they didn't have company growth from the year prior (despite, you know, finite resources in the world n stuff so growth is always finite and thus that model has more than a few issues).

It was more of a compromise, and that compromise happened to end up being a net benefit for me. I want mah Legendary sales, and am usually pretty good about not buying skins at launch since I have good skins for almost every champ I play.

Riot wants the most out of those who can't resist at launch and those who will buy at a sale at the same time, I'm sure that if it isn't a net gain from them they will come up with something else down the line.

I just looked up her tips and it admits to her range being lower than most mages, which probably directly translates to "harder" for me since when I pick a magey type I usually love my range. I am fully aware that I just need to practice with her a lot (getting to practice a lot at mid in a non-custom game though...haha). If I put in the same amount of time for her that I did for LeBlanc I should be passable though.

Hard

Banned
No one here a greentext fan? Oh well. My point still stands.

Hopefully I can get some more placement matches in today, 3 - 2 ATM. Want to play more Renekton, but 0 - 2 with him right now, not sure if it's a good idea.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
No one here a greentext fan? Oh well. My point still stands.

Hopefully I can get some more placement matches in today, 3 - 2 ATM. Want to play more Renekton, but 0 - 2 with him right now, not sure if it's a good idea.
Renekton was good once...
But his defense values are pretty bad now.

23qwerty

to be clear they made the most revenue, not necessarily profit. if I had to guess, clash of clans was the most profitable, they had nearly as much revenue and surely they have less expenses.

Kenai

4 game losing streak :< bronze is the worse.

I finally pulled myself out of that yesterday and yes, it was awful.

On the other hand, Silver 5 really isn't much better at all. The only saving grace is that I acquired multiple competent players for my fl on my way out so hopefully I can go higher at a good pace.

TheFlow

Banned
I finally pulled myself out of that yesterday and yes, it was awful.

On the other hand, Silver 5 really isn't much better at all. The only saving grace is that I acquired multiple competent players for my fl on my way out so hopefully I can go higher at a good pace.

the higher you get the better chance of playing with people who at least know how to not over feed there lane and place wards.

Hard

Banned
Playing a game of League sometimes feels more like babysitting people's egos rather than winning the game, doesn't it?

League is middle management

Kenai

the higher you get the better chance of playing with people who at least know how to not over feed there lane and place wards.

You'd think that but it certainly doesn't feel like it right now. Maybe a bit higher in Silver it will, but my first Silver 5 game had an adorable Malphite mid with no keystone set. How common that actually is I dunno, but that didn't happen for any of my stuff yesterday.

My favorite thing is when im playing with my friend who usually flames people, not me but the randoms. We will just be in a skype call no one is talking and then i can just hear the angry typing from his keyboard, because once i hear that i know something is about to go down in the chat.

Top Bottom