• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT11| going

garath

In general I've been playing really well lately. But for some reason my two placement games I've done so far were terrible. Like I could tell exactly what I was doing wrong but was still doing it. Guess it's just placement nerves.

zkylon

zkylewd
Sounds like everyone is using mid to game the system a bit here and get their priority picks a little more reliably. Sounds like the matchmaking really needs to prioritize primary role selection more.

I actually got mid my second placement game instead of my primary jungle. I was genuinely annoyed. I did not want to play mid in my placements. Sigh. I guess I'll go back to bot being my secondary and get that 75% of the time.

I really like the new queue but the biggest draw was I'd get my role every time. But when a secondary role becomes the primary because of demand, it loses it's luster.
pretty much

it makes solo queue awful because i never get mid anymore while before at least it was 50-50 at worst because if you're a mid main ppl would just op.gg you, see you're crap at everything else and give u mid

pretty much

it makes solo queue awful because i never get mid anymore while before at least it was 50-50 at worst because if you're a mid main ppl would just op.gg you, see you're crap at everything else and give u mid
Yup. They really need to add an option for playing your main role if you dont mind about extended queue times, even if it's only for mid lane. Either that or disable mid as a secondary option <_<

Tbh i like the new ranked q mode, i have only played one match of ranked so i dont fully know how it is. When playing normal dynamic Q i usually put mid and top or mid and jg, last season when playing ranked i rarely got mid, i usually had to top support or jg and this season i have gotten mid alot more than before.
I guess i like it better because i kinda main 2-3 lanes rather than just one lane.

congrats costy

but u still haven't replied my damn pm you dickkkkkkkkk

I told you I will! we're just getting our results and then we'll decide on the next steps, so I'll hit you up then because I'll have more answers for you :)

-----------------

thanks all, and yeah it's an awesome feeling :D so many interviews tho...

garath

My frustration isn't that I necessarily get placed into my secondary role, it's that I generally get placed into my secondary role with almost no queue wait time (especially when my second role is bot).

This says to me the system is not prioritizing my primary role but instead simply looking to fill positions on existing potential games from a pool of primary or secondary roles. I.e. there is a group of 9 other players that have likely been waiting longer for a game than me, my secondary role and MMR fits the game well so I get placed in the game instantly. In this case my primary role selection is disregarded or weighed far lower than filling the already existing potential game. While this scenario is good for the matchmaking system as a whole, it is not good for me as a player. My preference would be to spend a little more time finding a game for my given primary role before filling a secondary.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yup. They really need to add an option for playing your main role if you dont mind about extended queue times, even if it's only for mid lane. Either that or disable mid as a secondary option <_<
i think they need to make the primary stuff a lot more strict so u can actually get your primary most of the times

so basically slow down the queue times for everybody

that's all they can do cos

incentivizing playing support - will create a lot of ppl picking support to get ip in a mode that's supposed to be competitive firstmost

removing secondary - will make queue times too long, system needs to be able to not give everyone what they want to compensate for what there's plenty of and what's lacking

adding the option not to have secondary - will make queue times too long, same reasons. will overcomplicate things

I told you I will! we're just getting our results and then we'll decide on the next steps, so I'll hit you up then because I'll have more answers for you :)
is this ur first soon&#8482; as a full-on rioter?

My frustration isn't that I necessarily get placed into my secondary role, it's that I generally get placed into my secondary role with almost no queue wait time (especially when my second role is bot).

This says to me the system is not prioritizing my primary role but instead simply looking to fill positions on existing potential games from a pool of primary or secondary roles. I.e. there is a group of 9 other players that have likely been waiting longer for a game than me, my secondary role and MMR fits the game well so I get placed in the game instantly. In this case my primary role selection is disregarded or weighed far lower than filling the already existing potential game. While this scenario is good for the matchmaking system as a whole, it is not good for me as a player. My preference would be to spend a little more time finding a game for my given primary role before filling a secondary.
yea

it's really frustrating to see you find a game in 5 seconds and it always be support

pigeon

Banned

Again, this would be optimal for ranked and thus immediately mandatory. Adding it only for mid lane would be even worse because it would motivate players to switch and become mid lane mains since it's the only lane you could force.

Sounds like everyone is using mid to game the system a bit here and get their priority picks a little more reliably. Sounds like the matchmaking really needs to prioritize primary role selection more.

I actually got mid my second placement game instead of my primary jungle. I was genuinely annoyed. I did not want to play mid in my placements. Sigh. I guess I'll go back to bot being my secondary and get that 75% of the time.

I mean, that's why picking mid secondary to game the system is a dumb idea unless you're actually mid secondary.

Oh ok that makes sense, yeah i didnt know exactly how the system works

zkylon

zkylewd
i'm guessing rito has the data that says that not enough ppl play support so the system needs this secondary crap but tbh i wonder how much longer queue times would be if they removed it

they can compensate by removing the need to lock-in so you don't have to go through like 2 dodges every time you queue lol

pigeon

Banned
i'm guessing rito has the data that says that not enough ppl play support so the system needs this secondary crap but tbh i wonder how much longer queue times would be if they removed it

It would be Team Builder, basically -- that ended up being the pilot program to gather that information.

I kind of think Riot just needs a streakbreaker, so that your primary/secondary ratio converges in the short term on whatever the target is, not just the long term. That would mean inconsistent queue times, though, and they probably wouldn't want to talk to players too much about how the streakbreaker worked or they would game it.

garath

I mean, that's why picking mid secondary to game the system is a dumb idea unless you're actually mid secondary.

Yeah. Lol. Like gaming the system is all well and good until you actually get stuck with mid. In my case it's a calculated decision though. On my personal rating scale, if I'm a 10 in jungle, I'm a 7 in adc, a 4 or 5 in mid and don't even consider top or support viable roles for myself. Given that I get adc 3 out of 5 times if it's my secondary but mid 1 out of 5 times if it is my secondary, I'm giving myself a better chance of winning over time with mid as a secondary instead of adc even though I'm better at adc. I can still win in mid, it's just not what I was hoping for in the important placements.

zkylon

zkylewd
It would be Team Builder, basically -- that ended up being the pilot program to gather that information.

I kind of think Riot just needs a streakbreaker, so that your primary/secondary ratio converges in the short term on whatever the target is, not just the long term. That would mean inconsistent queue times, though, and they probably wouldn't want to talk to players too much about how the streakbreaker worked or they would game it.
the thing about team builder is that it's a normal mode so it's not really 1:1 comparable

there's a lot competing with team builder, like regular blind pick, draft pick, arams, freaking urf mode, etc. team builder was a casual mode for ppl that wanted to try random crap and didn't care much

there's no alternative to ranked, so if you want to play serious league that's the mode u have.

so idk, i'm guessing whatever they got from team builder doesn't exactly translate

pigeon

Banned
the thing about team builder is that it's a normal mode so it's not really 1:1 comparable

there's a lot competing with team builder, like regular blind pick, draft pick, arams, freaking urf mode, etc. team builder was a casual mode for ppl that wanted to try random crap and didn't care much

there's no alternative to ranked, so if you want to play serious league that's the mode u have.

so idk, i'm guessing whatever they got from team builder doesn't exactly translate

This is true, but I'm pretty sure that's why they made Team Builder the only mode available to new players for that month-long period a couple of years ago, to attempt to replicate the experience of ranked being the only game in town.

Of course, the problem with that is that players under level 12 or whatever are probably somewhat less set on getting their desired role. Data's always terrible.

Newt

Gz Costy.

Also, I don't know if it's intended or not, but as a trio you get two roles guaranteed with dynamic queue.

Hard

Banned
Gz Costy.

Also, I don't know if it's intended or not, but as a trio you get two roles guaranteed with dynamic queue.

Two primary? I mean, if you queue up with three roles between you, two of them have to be guaranteed.

Dude #1: Top / Jungle

Dude #2: Jungle / Top

Dude #3: Top / Mid

If #1 gets top, then #2 has to get Jungle because Top is taken, then #3 gets Mid.

Same if #2 gets their primary.

Yeah. Lol. Like gaming the system is all well and good until you actually get stuck with mid. In my case it's a calculated decision though. On my personal rating scale, if I'm a 10 in jungle, I'm a 7 in adc, a 4 or 5 in mid and don't even consider top or support viable roles for myself. Given that I get adc 3 out of 5 times if it's my secondary but mid 1 out of 5 times if it is my secondary, I'm giving myself a better chance of winning over time with mid as a secondary instead of adc even though I'm better at adc. I can still win in mid, it's just not what I was hoping for in the important placements.

That's actually a pretty cool idea: Rate yourself in each of your roles

Top - 10. Renekton is my best champ. People don't respect his damage early, resulting in free kills. Fervor is broken on him. I also play Gnar, Irelia, and more.

Jungle - 4. I can play Xin, Amumu, and Vi, but my decision making in the Jungle is atrocious. I'm way too passive.

Mid - 6. I like to think I play a pretty rad Twisted Fate, but my pool is shallow. Just Annie and Talon afterwards. Not huge on playing Assassins since getting fed seems like a requirement rather than a bonus.

ADC - 6. Lucian, Caitlyn, and Twitch. It's decent, but my positioning can be spotty without mobility

Support - 9. Braum OTP, but I can also play Morgana, Annie, and more. Don't ask me to play Thresh, though. Not worth the effort to learn.

Talents

Banned
Yeah I'd really like it if Riot made it so you could just pick one role even if it meant having to stay in queue for like 10 minutes more. I also don't feel like the current system waits too long before putting you into a game with your secondary role. Yesterday I searched for Mid/Top and got a game within a couple of seconds, yet it put me top lane. Doesn't really feel like the system was actively searching for a free mid role and just threw me into the first open top role it saw.

Leezard

The best part is that if you get mid seldom enough, it's enough to just dodge those games if you don't have a comfortable matchup/team comp.

zkylon

zkylewd
i don't think anyone will be surprised when jhin gets nerfed like 6 patches in a row lol

This is true, but I'm pretty sure that's why they made Team Builder the only mode available to new players for that month-long period a couple of years ago, to attempt to replicate the experience of ranked being the only game in town.

Of course, the problem with that is that players under level 12 or whatever are probably somewhat less set on getting their desired role. Data's always terrible.

yeah i'm sure that data is useful on some level but doesn't really translate to ranked in any way

Newt

I think dynamic queue is a net positive unless

1. You play mid

2. You play with a group with less than 3 people.

Quonny

3. You never want to play a role.

I can play any role and enjoy myself except jungle. The fact that I'll never have to play that role is perfect.

It's strange, I go Bot/ Mid because I'm trying to improve with Jinx and Diana but often times when I do that I get Mid ... and when I want to use Diana I go Mid/ Bot but get bot.

Anyway, Mid lane seems pretty fun. It was the first lane I picked up because it's the one Annie is used for mostly so it wasn't that hard figuring out what to do. Still gotta get better at roaming as I normally don't leave lane unless I feel I have a really good reason to (Like if the bot lane enemies are LOW but not so low that they feel the need to back right then or if someone isn't there to protect the tower).

I'm gonna try Wukong and Vi mid when ever I get them.

Calvero

Banned
Wandered into the League website and saw that I finally was able to be part of the PBE. dope.
In other news, I bought LeBlanc yesterday and Jihn just came out. Dammit.

Top Bottom