• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT11| going

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
What does early sale mean then?

already passed, those were in jan i thought?

skeleton-cobwebs-waiting.jpg

Saddly, no: http://a.disquscdn.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/3160/4782/original.jpg But Ekko will be on sale.

yeah but i don't wanna wait

Hard

Banned
Fervor of Battle is just stupid on Lacoste Croc right now. I mirror matched against one still rocking Thundelord's.

:lol

JulianImp

What does early sale mean then?

Early sales knock a skin's price down a tier AFAIK, which means you can pay as much as you would have had you purchased it in its launch week. The only advantage early sales have is that they can pop up before the 12-month wait for regular offers, but you'll be getting less of a discount as a trade-off.

pigeon

Banned
Fervor of Battle is just stupid on Lacoste Croc right now. I mirror matched against one still rocking Thundelord's.

:lol

You think Fervor is better than Grasp? I feel like Renek's pattern is not really sustained autos, so Grasp tops off his combo nicely.

Leezard

I find Grasp is really underwhelming most of the time. You have to be in combat for 4 seconds to proc it once, but unless you have ranged poke (GP) to start the count or you can trade twice with 4 seconds in between, how often do you trade for 4 seconds? If you're trading for 4 seconds, the Fervor guy is probably dealing more than your Grasp damage every auto with the fervor buff.

Has anyone tried Grasp on an adc with good results?
One of my promo opponents used it. It was kinda annoying but looked pretty underwhelming, 1.5% of your max HP as a role that is not going to build HP sounds pretty awful, that's like an extra Cull hit every 4 seconds lol
I find Grasp is really underwhelming most of the time. You have to be in combat for 4 seconds to proc it once, but unless you have ranged poke (GP) to start the count or you can trade twice with 4 seconds in between, how often do you trade for 4 seconds? If you're trading for 4 seconds, the Fervor guy is probably dealing more than your Grasp damage every auto with the fervor buff.
You don't need to trade after 4 seconds, as long as you're last hitting you should have grasp up every time you go for a trade so unless the Fervor guy can extend the trade you'll pretty much win every time.

Leezard

One of my promo opponents used it. It was kinda annoying but looked pretty underwhelming, 1.5% of your max HP as a role that is not going to build HP sounds pretty awful, that's like an extra Cull hit every 4 seconds lol

You don't need to trade after 4 seconds, as long as you're last hitting you should have grasp up every time you go for a trade so unless the Fervor guy can extend the trade you'll pretty much win every time.

Hm, I thought you needed to be in combat with a champion. I saw the timer come up only during a trade earlier. I guess it's not as bad as I thought.

Hard

Banned
You think Fervor is better than Grasp? I feel like Renek's pattern is not really sustained autos, so Grasp tops off his combo nicely.

Fervor in top lane is so 2015, Grasp is the new jam

The main goal of playing Lacoste Croc is to bully your lane opponent as hard as possible and snowball your lead into the mid game. Grasp is good for more defensive champs, but it's a pretty meh mastery if you're trying to get kills.

Why I love Fervor on Renek is because it allows me to keep my damage output consistently high while still being able to get tank items and survive in teamfights. At level 18 and with full stacks, I'm doing an additional 112 damage per auto. It heavily outscales Thunderlord's at that point because of the cooldown.

My usual build is BC / Hydra / Swifties / DMP / SV / Steraks. Late game, switch to Titanic and let the passives and masteries do the work for you.

Quonny

Fucking lol at those lilowie changes.

Let's take a bottom 25% top laner and make her only redeeming ability even easier to remove.

zkylon

zkylewd
most important of all

new lux icons

Let's take a bottom 25% top laner and make her only redeeming ability even easier to remove.
the way that ability works is kind of backwards

illaoi could use some buffs but she's a champion that i'm not sure if i want to see more of

garath

Most important parts: graves nerfed, ryze nerfed, corki nerfed, poppy nerfed, ziggs buffed, and duskblade released.

Expected the graves nerfs. Poppy too now that I think on it. Still sad though. She was a great jungler.

Corki nerf is good. No ezreal though hmm.

phinious

most important of all

new lux icons

the way that ability works is kind of backwards

illaoi could use some buffs but she's a champion that i'm not sure if i want to see more of

Wierd that Lux icons get updated while malz's ult icon is still a purple penis mid sploodge

Hard

Banned
Looks like they're gutting Ryze until they can rework him (again). Poor Ryze, back to the bottom of the barrel with you, through no fault of your own. Fuck Graves though. Stupid champ with stupid damage that needed toning down.

That vessel debuff is the most punishing status in the game aside from death. It won't hurt her laning, but teammates killing the tentacles I needed to remove the debuff was hella annoying.

Nekofrog

Banned
i don't think there's ever been a point in the game where Ryze has ever been balanced fairly. He's always either been overwhelmingly strong or absurdly weak. Everytime Riot reworks him or gives a significant buff people say the new Ryze is weak, then 2 weeks later someone pulls him out in a pro game and he's literally the most broken piece of crap ever.

It's happened every year, sometimes multiple times a year. Never forget gogoing's ryze at worlds.

Newt

I don't think changing his combo to be easier will change too much. I've seen so many crappy Ali's randomly w to save someone or w to get me killed.

Edwardo

At minimum, it'll stop me from messing it up and just Q'ing nothing when I'm trying to activate it right when I cast W.

Nekofrog

Banned
I don't think changing his combo to be easier will change too much. I've seen so many crappy Ali's randomly w to save someone or w to get me killed.

soloq alistars been savin' enemy champions since day 1. ain't never gonna change no matter how easy the combo is. headbutt/pulv could be 1 button press to do both in a guaranteed combo and someone would still mess it up constantly somehow

zkylon

zkylewd
Have any of you tried the new item on PBE? Which bans do you think will come of it?
it doesn't sound that overpowered to me cos the bundle of stats it gives is kind of weird. like no cdr means it's not such a good laning item so i don't think it's gonna replace youmuus as a rush item

talon depends a lot on hydra, but maybe this thing will be enough ad that he can clear with just rake

zed might go for it instead of bjork, idk

are there any other mid ad assassins?

Guess he's back to being in every game.

he kind of was already

i don't think it's gonna be a big deal

i don't think there's ever been a point in the game where Ryze has ever been balanced fairly. He's always either been overwhelmingly strong or absurdly weak. Everytime Riot reworks him or gives a significant buff people say the new Ryze is weak, then 2 weeks later someone pulls him out in a pro game and he's literally the most broken piece of crap ever.

It's happened every year, sometimes multiple times a year. Never forget gogoing's ryze at worlds.
Riot had the chance to remove Rune Prison, instead they give him the ability to chain it multiple times. No shit Ryze is not gonna be balanceable.

Nekofrog

Banned
so korean Irelias diamond and above rush ghostblade as first item. i've done it before and it does feel strong, but it felt like it delayed my midgame powerspike a little too much.

it does solve the problem of that awful, terrible feeling of being stuck on a blasting wand and getting almost no gold efficiency in the rageblade rush because of it.

Newt

so korean Irelias diamond and above rush ghostblade as first item. i've done it before and it does feel strong, but it felt like it delayed my midgame powerspike a little too much.

it does solve the problem of that awful, terrible feeling of being stuck on a blasting wand and getting almost no gold efficiency in the rageblade rush because of it.
Korean Kayle builds rfc... I gotta try that.

zkylon

zkylewd
Riot had the chance to remove Rune Prison, instead they give him the ability to chain it multiple times. No shit Ryze is not gonna be balanceable.
i don't think rune prison is the problem

there's probably not even one single problem

but like
- hyperscaling tanky dps mage is weird
- rune prison being instant, targeted and chainable is super weird
- short cd ult champions are almost always problematic
- also ult being "just" a steroid means his other three spells need to be super strong which means weird early-game and weird transitioning
- his spells don't have much counterplay or gameplay around them really, you're either in range or you're not, and he's strong enough or has passive to kill you or he doesn't
- unique mana itemization makes him weird to balance around items
- imo he's really boring overall, just walks in front of someone and presses all buttons in order, it's never exciting to watch ryze. even when faker is doing incredible stuff on him you don't feel like it was just a massive outplay. and he's really boring to play against too

mage reworks are supposed to come with a few new mana items or some reworks to existing mana items so maybe he'll look a little better then

but i think he's got too many issues just to blame it all on rune prison

I blame it on Rune Prison because the decision to keep it pretty much unchanged means the rework was doomed to fail from the start. It's the main reason he got reworked as it allowed him to just shit on top lane for free then when new Ryze was first a problem it was also because of Rune Prison.

He has other problems yes but as long as Rune Prison exists he'll always either be a problem or garbage. His identity is that of a machinegun mage so having instant ranged lock down is just never gonna work.

Nekofrog

Banned
i think initially they wanted Ryze to be less tanky in exchange for his late game hypercarry status. lets be honest, old ryze when played even "okay" was a ticking timebomb even stronger than nasus because back then, he legit built actual tank items and still did unheard of amounts of damage.

with the rework, he was pushed into a "tank items aren't as efficient on him, build AP now" and we started seeing Ryzes with goddamn deathcaps. but then he was too weak initially, or at least people perceived him as too weak. then his passive/ult shield thing made him almost exactly as tanky as before with his shields instead of tank stats with the added bonus of deciding someone in that game didnt get to play league of legends today and permasnaring them over and over and over.

the end result of the ryze rework is exactly the same, late game hypercarry mage that is also an off tank, but gone about differently. i feel like riot had a lot of intentions behind the rework to not let it be that again but threw their hands up and just let it go back to that, albeit differently.

now you can't kill him because he perma roots you and has giant shields. back then you couldn't kill him because he had a stupid frozen heart/seraphs/banshees veil and still did ludicrous damage.

Making his q a skill shot was so pointless lol.

and then there's this change. like literally whats the point? if he lands a root on you it doesn't matter if his Q is a skillshot, you're rooted. it doesn't matter if minions are in the way to block it because he does massive AOE that blow the minions up in 1 spell and now he can unload his next 4000 Q's on you while you're rooted still. if anything, the skillshot was actually a BUFF because now he can freely stack tear and get it even faster.

pigeon

Banned
Without a clear idea of what Ryze is even supposed to be it's hard to say what he needs to be fun. "Weird blue tanky mage that builds mana and mashes buttons" is not really a standard power fantasy for Riot to design towards.

I think they kept W because it was "iconic" for Ryze, but I agree that it's still just a fundamentally irritating ability that's difficult to impossible to balance in lane. If he can walk up to you and W you, then the fight is binary.

Frankly I think just dumpstering him is fine, leave him in there until somebody actually has a good idea for him.

Nekofrog

Banned
one thing that attracted me to Brand so many years ago was the passive interaction of his spells. he only has the basic QWER, but the interactions between them and his passive burn is fantastic champion design. every single interaction has use.

You can choose to use your passive burn ability to:
1. Stun
2. Apply your passive burn in a small surrounding AOE
3. Use it to enhance damage of next spell

in any order you want or need. THAT'S good design. sure his numbers when strong are a bit high but thematically, it's really cool.

if you want Ryze to be a spell slinging mage, he needs something like that. not EXACTLY like that or anything, but something thematic to his "class".

one thing that attracted me to Brand so many years ago was the passive interaction of his spells. he only has the basic QWER, but the interactions between them and his passive burn is fantastic champion design. every single interaction has use.

You can choose to use your passive burn ability to:
1. Stun
2. Apply your passive burn in a small surrounding AOE
3. Use it to enhance damage of next spell

in any order you want or need. THAT'S good design. sure his numbers when strong are a bit high but thematically, it's really cool.

if you want Ryze to be a spell slinging mage, he needs something like that. not EXACTLY like that or anything, but something thematic to his "class".
Yeah brands passive is really neat and makes it fun to play and learn. Brand is up there in my favorite champs.

Top Bottom