• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT11| going

Nekofrog

Banned
we should really be encouraging more new league gaffers to main mid, because we have zkylon and he's not even in NA regularly

"im stuck in bronze what do i do"

"play mid. for us"

Newt

you say that, but you should look at the patch cadence for other MOBAs. League patches every 2 weeks with new stuff. As for major major features, we do take our time but that's because we want to do it right. We could release a half-assed, undercooked version of something quicker if we wanted, but who would that really serve? Players would have a worse experience which nobody at Riot wants.

We're not perfect, but we don't want to release stuff unless it's really good an improves the player's experience. Sometimes we get it wrong, sure.
Yeah, it's definitely not that bad. It's slower than I would like, but I can deal with it. I think Riot's biggest issue is probably PR.

It's disingenuous to say that Riot hasn't released half-assed/undercooked content though. The latest example is dynamic queue, which was pretty much a release failue, but I guess a week downtime wasn't too bad.

Hard

Banned
Regarding that ask fm Lyte post, it's a very valid answer. I get it, software development is hard (heh). I dabble in C++ and couldn't even dream of doing what these guys accomplish on a daily basis. The problem is that his wording obfuscates his main point and frustrates his listeners, who are looking for a direct answer. That whole spiel comparing Riot to other companies felt wholly unnecessary.

Perhaps one day Riot could give us a behind the scenes look about what goes into making a patch or fixing a bug in the engine. For as much attention that they get, they're still a very secretive company.

we should really be encouraging more new league gaffers to main mid, because we have zkylon and he's not even in NA regularly

"play mid. for us"

If you don't mind Renekton mid then sure.

Yeah, it's definitely not that bad. It's slower than I would like, but I can deal with it. I think Riot's biggest issue is probably PR.

It's disingenuous to say that Riot hasn't released half-assed/undercooked content though. The latest example is dynamic queue, which was pretty much a release failue, but I guess a week downtime wasn't too bad.

it's not that dynamic queue has half-assed/undercooked, the problem was being too ambitious and releasing it on the day the new ranked season start. It was a pretty massive undertaking to get it released and the server load was massive. I know those guys were crushed that it happened and worked through the weekend to get it out to players again.

zkylon

zkylewd
the issue that's popped up frequently about rito's release schedules is red tape and kind of an obsession with "perfectionism"

red tape has been kind of a rumor-y thing but that's the perception of a subset of the community at least. dunno how bad or good it is, but it's not desks on wheels, for better or worse

like "when it's done" is a good ideal to have when you don't have an existing problem, but when there is i find it pretty unreasonable.

case in point, replays

rito wants to do all the replay storing serverside for some reason and stopped working on replays after finding that they had no solution to the problem of handling millions of replay requests since that'd involve extra servers dedicated exclusively to servers and instability is the least rito's servers need. lots of ppl constantly playing replays through servers and downloading and installing old patches, all that stuff is probably a mess that's really hard to solve

so why not do it client-side? why not provide something similar to the hacky solutions third party apps have developed only, you know, official and well-supported? why not leave the server stuff for the future and just provide your users with a much requested feature even if it's a reduced version of it?

that's where i'm not sure i buy the whole idillic "we don't like releasing half assed stuff" and i just feel like they tunnel on random stuff for very questionable reasons

specially when rito tends to really suck at communicating those reasons and goes into the whole "europe like ties!" and "sandbox mode will raise toxicity!" nonsense

it's not that dynamic queue has half-assed/undercooked, the problem was being too ambitious
haha that's like diamond level pr talk

i think dynamic queue wasn't a big deal cos over the years it's been clear that you can't really plan for 50 million ppl

it just doesn't work out, so basically rito does the best they can do and i'm guessing they have an emergency plan ready to like buy more servers, tune up stuff, etc. pretty quick

"play mid. for us"
i'll play if i get invited (just hit me up on steam), same as i do in argie server. i almost never log in to the game on my own heh

also i need more champions so i can ranked in na

Alright then, question to everyone I guess. I'm a support and I have 800g on my first back. I shouldn't pick up a sightstone and should prioritize some early stats instead?

Nekofrog

Banned
on what support?

a ruby crystal/boots are good if you're a champion that can make plays more easily with movement speed and a bit of HP

Hard

Banned
Alright then, question to everyone I guess. I'm a support and I have 800g on my first back. I shouldn't pick up a sightstone and should prioritize some early stats instead?

Get tank stats if you're a tank. I prefer getting Targon's on my first back.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Off topic but idc, finished One Punch Man. Basically PogChamp the anime edition.

"play mid. for us"

I'm glad I started playing Mid Diana. MUCH more fun than Supp. As support you can carry ... but mostly it's like polishing a PoS if you got a shitty team. Very hard and it's a toss up if anyone's gonna follow your lead or not. Far too much of the match rides on the shoulders of your team and if they arn't willing to take your suggestions into account it becomes very annoying. As a mid if you're doing well the whole team pays attention. You tell people to group or push and they are likely to do it. ADCs also like to treat you like you're only there for them so they beg you to play w/e champ they like regardless of team comp.

Right now Mid and ADC are my fav roles. In fact, I wanna try Annie again and casters (After trying Wukong and Vi mid)

zkylon

zkylewd
I play thresh/braum mostly nowadays.
try not to back with just 800g, that's really low

boots 1, supp 2 item, a pink and a few pots should be your first back, generally

on some champions like thresh if you're gonna roam you might want to get like boots 3/5, pots and 2 pinks and just roam mid when you get back from base, so it varies

this is mostly for spellthief/relic shield line, i guess for coin you might do the same, idk

I'm glad I started playing Mid Diana. MUCH more fun than Supp. As support you can carry ... but mostly it's like polishing a PoS if you got a shitty team. Very hard and it's a toss up if anyone's gonna follow your lead or not. Far too much of the match rides on the shoulders of your team and if they arn't willing to take your suggestions into account it becomes very annoying. ADCs also like to treat you like you're only there for them so they beg you to play w/e champ they like regardless of team comp.

Right now Mid and ADC are my fav roles. In fact, I wanna try Annie again and casters (After trying Wukong and Vi mid)
ehh, i wouldn't say that's necessarily true

in generally i wouldn't recommend mid to low elo players because you have to learn lot of matchups, have good map awareness and play high skillcap champions (tho there's a lot of great alternatives like annie or diana or lux that are easy to play)

pigeon

Banned
Regarding that ask fm Lyte post, it's a very valid answer. I get it, software development is hard (heh). I dabble in C++ and couldn't even dream of doing what these guys accomplish on a daily basis. The problem is that his wording obfuscates his main point and frustrates his listeners, who are looking for a direct answer. That whole spiel comparing Riot to other companies felt wholly unnecessary.

Perhaps one day Riot could give us a behind the scenes look about what goes into making a patch or fixing a bug in the engine. For as much attention that they get, they're still a very secretive company.

It's just the worst question to get as a developer and you get it all the time. Any forum thread that goes over like 100 posts is guaranteed to have at least one person wildly misrepresenting the development process. And there's just no good answer. The reason Lyte goes on like that is because the real answer is "because development is hard and takes a long time, and maintaining a live game makes it even harder." It's just not convincing!

what do you mean by "red tape"? I don't know much about how each individual central team works (I'm not on any of them) but red tape is not a way I'd describe how Riot handles projects.

Also, there's a middle ground between "perfectionism" and "half-assed". Like, we do have to release stuff. It's not going to be perfect every time, but it's not going to be half-assed either.

As for stuff like replays, it's a sensitive topic because it was discussed long before I joined and it's obvious why. I don't have a lot of context on it, but from a personal viewpoint it's again a priorities thing.

Like you mentioned, there are working and useable third-party solutions out there. So would it be really worth it for us to just make another one of those with the same featureset, but more stable? Or if we're going to do replays should we do it right and allow people to store stuff serverside and make the UX better etc.? I don't know the answer, but I bet that's a question that constantly pops up. Like is that really a player need that Riot should really prioritise, or are there more pressing things that could use our devs' time?

As for communication, totally an area we can do better on. We don't really do PR. Like, we're encouraged to just talk to you guys as Rioters. There's no way I'd be allowed in a traditional dev to post on this forum and talk about this stuff with you guys, but Riot allows me to make common sense judgments and be more transparent with you. I can't leak stuff but I can talk about stuff like this.

To that end, yeah we definitely screw the messaging sometimes. The "Europe likes ties!" thing was a joke that esports has owned up to being bad. There was a tonne of feedback on Riot Pls internally and from players and the folks putting it together learned a lot from it. If we fuck up, we'll get better and if we decide to prioritise something over another thing it's because we think it'll deliver more value to players. The updated client is an example of that. It's awesome, it was badly needed and I can't wait for you to see it.

also, that's not PR talk. The team fucked up trying to release it on ranked release day. server load was immense. probably should have seen it coming, but yeah.

zkylon

zkylewd
what do you mean by "red tape"? I don't know much about how each individual central team works (I'm not on any of them) but red tape is not a way I'd describe how Riot handles projects.
idk, that's why i mentioned it was rumor-y, but it's been a recurring theme in the "rito's slow" discussion i've seen in places like reddit and here

Also, there's a middle ground between "perfectionism" and "half-assed". Like, we do have to release stuff. It's not going to be perfect every time, but it's not going to be half-assed either.
yeah that's why i'm not necessarily saying rito sucks, i'm just saying the chase for perfectionism is sometimes misguided and overzealous and often pretty poorly communicated to the playerbase

As for stuff like replays, it's a sensitive topic because it was discussed long before I joined and it's obvious why. I don't have a lot of context on it, but from a personal viewpoint it's again a priorities thing.

Like you mentioned, there are working and useable third-party solutions out there. So would it be really worth it for us to just make another one of those with the same featureset, but more stable? Or if we're going to do replays should we do it right and allow people to store stuff serverside and make the UX better etc.? I don't know the answer, but I bet that's a question that constantly pops up. Like is that really a player need that Riot should really prioritise, or are there more pressing things that could use our devs' time?
ok, not replays, but sandbox mode. there's a middle ground between perfectionism and half assed and there's not a solution for this issue that a lot of players want, specially the competitive scene (which is a big deal for rito as esports has been a major push for them) and that's just mia.

and rito should have enough resources to develop these features on top of the existing stuff. it's a huge company filled with talent that makes ridiculous profit, so if you're having a priorities issue then you should probably think about hiring some more people. it's not like champion design and balance that it's a super time consuming thing because it requires live testing and theorycrafting and players all over the world adjusting to metas and whatnot, here's an actual thing you can just throw engineers at

and there could be middle ground solutions for these things. baron replays for the most part works great, but has a wonky ui but is always a few days late for patches and has a lot of engrish in it. what if rito reached out to the baron replays devs and helped them out with testing and giving them early patch builds and helping them with ui design

what if they don't release their super version of sandbox mode and they just let you open up a custom game, checkbox an option that says "no cooldowns" and that's fucking it.

i mean did you see doto's sandbox mode? it's literally a shop, no cooldowns and a dummy, how does riot not have the resources to release that, not as a big sandbox mode but as a simple side option that's totally gonna have a big red WARNING message next to it

so yeah, while i respect wanting to do things right, i have to question the decisionmaking around some of these features that could be included under "untested" sections or whatever

also, that's not PR talk. The team fucked up trying to release it on ranked release day. server load was immense. probably should have seen it coming, but yeah.
relax, was just a joke :p

you just came off as "my biggest weakness is that i work too hard"

Ranked 4s, silver edition, has begun
I might play with you golds and silvers this weekend and finally get my rank.
I got that 2-0 placements so far, just 8 more wins and i will get a perfect placements.

Has anyone here ever gotten perfect placement matches before?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
i think leveling W is way better since it scales with health. it's what I do. you can tank a shitload of damage that way.
Maybe it's more of a playstyle thing? Naut's mobility is pretty limited, and W levels give no benefit to the cooldown on the ability. Dredge Line seems too strong to ignore for me when you can lower the CD to almost half of its base.

garath

Welp. Won it. I'm not too proud to say I got carried. My sona support had a real bad attitude after brand got a good stun on me and an early kill. Didn't help that the lee camped the crap out of bot. I had to mute sona and just concentrate on pushing down objectives and farming with Trist. After a 0/4 start I finished 5/5 so I'm not complaining. All that attention they paid bot paid off in other lanes. For all her complaining, the sona wasn't very good. Just sat in a brush with no presence the rest of the lane and didn't ward. She placed SIX wards the entire game. SIX.

5 game winning streak to finish 7-3 in placements and I'm Silver I - Ashe's duelists. Sigh. Back to silver. I was just hoping for a Gold finish by the hair of my chin but wasn't happening. I thought maybe I'd get it because the entire opposing team was Gold and my team was all Silver but nope.

Placements were really stiff this season. I was playing against high silver pretty much the entire way. No big swings like we'd see in previous seasons. But I'm glad I didn't fall a full tier. I finished Gold 4 last season so only a couple division lost.

Top Bottom