• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT11| going

Nekofrog

Banned
Because being hard to use isn't an excuse to being overtuned. GP is 100% pick or ban in competitive. There's only one match in LCK that he was neither picked or banned.

so let's olaf a reworked champion because after 3 nerfs we still can't get it right and the pros are too good with it

makes total sense man

so let's olaf a reworked champion because after 3 nerfs we still can't get it right and the pros are too good with it

makes total sense man
Makes more sense than letting a balance blemish go on for longer than it already has. The barrel changes are months overdue and those nerfs weren't enough to cut off his power level, red side already has barely any bans to spare so GP's gotta go.

Nekofrog

Banned
no, it doesn't make more sense. if a champion is a problem in pro play but not soloq, that's fine. the game should not be balanaced around pro play being a priority. it should be tertiary at best.

gangplank in his current form is fine having his power be gated behind mechanics. that's the entire point of having champions who are strong when they are played very, very well. if you can master the difficulty level, you deserve to have that strength in your hands

Hard

Banned
>Giving Fiora the Olaf treatment

I see no problem with this.

I assume y'all are taking about Ryze tho

EDIT: Hurr durr gp

Nekofrog

Banned
Pretty much one shotting an entire team from 1000 range is as limitless as you can probably get in this game.

there's ways around it. proper scouting with blue trinkets, clearing barrels, not facechecking

the same thing you do to win games period

you sound really salty about a champion that is just OK in soloq but great in pro play. why?

I think for the most part Fiora is fine. Her base stats are probably too high, so that combined with Grasp of the Undying makes her hard to move from lane, which is where she should be most vulnerable imo.

Also she probably needs more bonus AD scaling so she needs to build squishier. Titanic etc. are too good on her. I think base stats and itemisation are the culprits when it comes to her power.

my opinion, not a designer etc. etc.

there's ways around it. proper scouting with blue trinkets, clearing barrels, not facechecking

the same thing you do to win games period

you sound really salty about a champion that is just OK in soloq but great in pro play. why?
I'm not "salty", I don't give two shits about GP, you're the one trying to argue he shouldn't be nerfed because solo Q players aren't good enough to make use of his power.

Newt

giphy.gif

garath

Quinn isn't getting a nerf why? Ugh. So unfortunate. Good thing I can't play another right now. I'm so tilted.

Last pick banned Yi instead of Graves. Quinn is bad enough but add Graves to it then same guy picks Ekko mid into that Quinn and we're screwed. Last pick just hosed us good.

http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/#match-details/NA1/2093137607/42766588?tab=overview

I love Ekko and all but he isn't a good midlaner, especially against an abusive pick like Quinn.

We were winning bot pretty handily but Quinn went up 5-0 in about 5 min. It was pretty much over from there. MMR probably took a hit for that too. Enemy team had a couple unrankeds and a Gold 2, our team was all low gold so on paper we should have had the advantage which means nice LP loss... if I had any.

Hard

Banned
I think for the most part Fiora is fine. Her base stats are probably too high, so that combined with Grasp of the Undying makes her hard to move from lane, which is where she should be most vulnerable imo.

Also she probably needs more bonus AD scaling so she needs to build squishier. Titanic etc. are too good on her. I think base stats and itemisation are the culprits when it comes to her power.

my opinion, not a designer etc. etc.

I can't argue with that. Her base damages are very high considering she gets a lot of free poke with the reduced cool-down on her Q, plus being able to scale pretty hard and become impossible to 1v1 late.

That, and tone down the % hp true damage just a smidge. I understand she's supposed to be a threat to both squishes and tanks, but her true damage doesn't have any limitations to do it unlike Vayne, who has to target one champ at a time. Her only limit is being melee only, and that's solved pretty quickly with the Q and speed boosts she gets from proccing a vital for basically free at the beginning of the ult.

Bonus AD scaling is unnecessary though. She's already pretty strong late.

pigeon

Banned
It's honestly crazy to me that anybody could argue that a champion that's 100% pick/ban in pro play doesn't need to be nerfed.

Nekofrog

Banned
It's honestly crazy to me that anybody could argue that a champion that's 100% pick/ban in pro play doesn't need to be nerfed.

Nobody said GP doesn't deserve to be nerfed. He's been nerfed several times so far, in the usual ineffective Riot way of nerfing by not addressing the actual issue and instead of nerfing around what makes it strong.

What I'm arguing is that GP doesn't need gutting, especially when in SoloQ he has ~50% winrate depending on game length.

What's crazy is anybody supporting a "guy the champion because it's strong in pro play" when in reality, Solo Q is what is the most important aspect of the game and gutting a champion in that manner who isn't even good unless it's played very very well is really stupid.

Hard

Banned
Nobody said GP doesn't deserve to be nerfed. He's been nerfed several times so far, in the usual ineffective Riot way of nerfing by not addressing the actual issue and instead of nerfing around what makes it strong.

What I'm arguing is that GP doesn't need gutting, especially when in SoloQ he has ~50% winrate depending on game length.

What's crazy is anybody supporting a "guy the champion because it's strong in pro play" when in reality, Solo Q is what is the most important aspect of the game and gutting a champion in that manner who isn't even good unless it's played very very well is really stupid.

Sounds like that's what's happening, though. Ryze has already had his knees caved in by the nerf bat. He has one of the lowest win rates in SoloQ according to champion.gg, yet they're gutting him because he's so powerful in competitive.

Nekofrog

Banned
Sounds like that's what's happening, though. Ryze has already had his knees caved in by the nerf bat. He has one of the lowest win rates in SoloQ according to champion.gg, yet they're gutting him because he's so powerful in competitive.

Ryze is a completely different situation. Has he ever had a period in his history where he was average, instead of 100% OP or 100% useless?

Azir reached that point in competitive play, but he's only that good if you know how to play him. He's pretty useless in the hands of most regular players which is why they're actually looking at way to make him easier.

pigeon

Banned

There are a lot of aspects to that. One notable one is that, because of Ryze's ping-focused design, he's significantly stronger on LAN than online. That's a really unfortunate problem for a champion and you'll notice they specifically targeted that in the nerfs. (Also worth considering the Alistar combo change in that context, in the other direction.)

I don't think Gangplank has that issue. His power level comes in from another direction.

Hard

Banned
Ryze is a completely different situation. Has he ever had a period in his history where he was average, instead of 100% OP or 100% useless?

It depends on what scene you're talking about. Is Ryze really OP in SoloQ? I think not, considering he's very weak early, and can be punished with his lack of mobility and short range. He's only OP in the competitive scene, where players have great mechanics and team coordination to protect him early so he can scale hard late. Riot chose to gut him based on his competitive standing, not his soloQ play, contradicting your previous post. Riot tries to take into account both SoloQ and competitive when making balances. It's a shame soloq players have to suffer for competitive abuse, but that's the way it is.

pigeon

Banned
It depends on what scene you're talking about. Is Ryze really OP in SoloQ? I think not, considering he's very weak early, and can be punished with his lack of mobility and short range. He's only OP in the competitive scene, where players have great mechanics and team coordination to protect him early so he can scale hard late. Riot chose to gut him based on his competitive standing, not his soloQ play, contradicting your previous post. Riot tries to take into account both SoloQ and competitive when making balances. It's a shame soloq players have to suffer for competitive abuse, but that's the way it is.

Ryze actually has a terrible win rate in competitive.

Nekofrog

Banned
Look, this is how I see it.

There should be champions that are easy to play with very linear power growth.

There should be champions that are difficult to play, and reward a player for putting so much time and effort into learning it that they have an edge. They play a hard champion and do well? They should be rewarded for that.

There should never be a situation in this game where a super easy champion can be picked up and played by just about anyone and have it be super strong. Fortunately, this doesn't happen all that often or you get things like season 4 Warwick. If that situation arises, strong nerfs are warranted.

GP is not one of those champions. If Riot wanted to actually address the GP issue, take a stronger whack at his bonus guaranteed armor penetration. An additional fair nerf at that would bring him into a more healthy state. I don't even play GP outside of normal games on my smurf and I suck at it like a lot of people do, but I still see over reactions by Riot like this and it makes me wonder what the hell they're doing sometimes.

The way Riot often (not always, but enough) goes about balancing, as I said in a previous post, is by taking a champion that is too strong and nerfing something either unrelated to why they're strong or a secondary or tertiary reason as to why they're strong. Then, when they're still really strong after that nerf, they'll either take another pass at it or just completely butcher the champion so nobody plays it anymore.

There's so much middle ground that Riot could be covering with champions like GP that it just confuses me as to why they'd rather just throw their hands up in the air and say "we don't care anymore, destroy what we have built".

Fair enough. I do agree that almost all nerfs to GP leading to this were useless and unnecessary. Ult and barrels too strong? Let's just nerf his passive instead.

They should have just turned his full arpen into bonus arpen like they were planning to instead of tip tap toeing around the issue for some reason. I understand not wanting to do that at the end of the competitive season but that change was in the bloody preseason, there was no excuse there.

Hard

Banned
Ryze actually has a terrible win rate in competitive.

His damage potential is still extremely high. That win rate stems from the West trying (and failing) to emulate the East. Ryze requires a good team comp that can get him to late game and cover his weaknesses to make the most of his abilities.

Nekofrog

Banned
speaking of bronze, what are the standard bronze bans these days?

way back when it was always rammus/amumu/blitzcrank/thresh/malphite but this was back when those champions (outside of thresh) were considered bad outside of like, gold.

Playing a adc or mid laner with an escape is always a smart safe pick. Immoblie squishy champs are super punishing unless your good at positioning.

Play Trynd in bronze and enjoy your 100% win rate.
I cant play trynd at all, i have tried him a bunch but it never goes well. Everyone always says how easy he is and i just never get it, im probably playing him wrong.

DRE Fei

I remember seeing GP nerf on the pbe a while ago, but those changes never made it to live for whatever reason. I guess having a free season 5 last whisper built into the kit is ok?

What about this new duskblade item that's about to hit live in a few hours?

How do you inflict even more damage than true damage?

GP knows.

patchday

I thought pro players are usually more interested in banning a certain team comp or rather preventing pro players from having access to their most effective champs.

keep in mind I'm Bronze tho so my opinion is worth a penny :(

Curious which champs are 100% ban? I might need reminding have only watched a few games this season

Hard

Banned
I thought pro players are usually more interested in banning a certain team comp or rather preventing pro players from having access to their most effective champs.

keep in mind I'm Bronze tho so my opinion is worth a penny :(

Curious which champs are 100% ban? I might need reminding have only watched a few games this season

P/B rate for NA anyway:

Gangplank - 97.8%

Alistar - 89.7%

Lulu - 84.6%

Elise - 84.6%

Graves - 79.5%

Lucian 74.4%

Ryze - 71.8%

Top Bottom