• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT12| No more Lyte, just darkness.

Leezard

see i kind of like this, i want to see other games force riot to be less shitty about stuff

like charging money for champions

would be nice if league didn't have that bullshit

Yeah, it's probably good to get some sense of competetion.

Can someone explain why you get Sterak's Gage? is it just for the passive?

Cause I got it on Illaoi and looked at my stats ... AD only went went up by like 20 I think. Was left wondering "Uhhh ... was this worth it or should I have just gotten something else instead?"

Can someone explain why you get Sterak's Gage? is it just for the passive?

Cause I got it on Illaoi and looked at my stats ... AD only went went up by like 20 I think. Was left wondering "Uhhh ... was this worth it or should I have just gotten something else instead?"
You get Sterak's to become really fucking hard to kill, the AD is just a bonus.

Picture it as the physical damage version of Maw.

zkylon

zkylewd
I don't think the PBE Lulu changes are beneficial to even support Lulu as a whole. Making her Q do 70% damage to targets after the first makes her a lot weaker in both lane and teamfights.

And 300 more gold on Forbidden Idol for slightly more impactful heals? Meh - I actually like the current version - it's mana regen and CDR for a really low price.
she gets extra scaling on her q tho, so that probably offsets most of it

it's a way bigger nerf for waveclear than it is for harass

the forbidden idol stuff, yeah, idk, 10% more shields/heals for 300g doesn't sound that bad for me honestly, specially since being percentage based it scales with your level/ap

so like on lulu you'll naturally get more mileage out of it by building fqc and ranking e up etc.

Yeah, it's probably good to get some sense of competetion.
it's important to know that league hasn't really dropped much, it had like 30% before, now it's 28%, which means most of the overwatch ppl come from other games/ppl that didn't play before

if it were a situation that ppl were massively fleeing league i wouldn't say this is a cool opportunity cos that would probably mean league is sinking, but this probably means it's a big new game and not necessarily a real threat to league

that being said, it is a warning call for rito that you can't just rest on ur laurels cos a game can easily come out of nowhere and become #1 overnight, so it creates some pressure on riot to stay relevant/competitive even if they're not really losing players themselves

and that's hopefully good news for us players as it means riot has more reasons to be nice to us

Leezard

it's important to know that league hasn't really dropped much, it had like 30% before, now it's 28%, which means most of the overwatch ppl come from other games/ppl that didn't play before

if it were a situation that ppl were massively fleeing league i wouldn't say this is a cool opportunity cos that would probably mean league is sinking, but this probably means it's a big new game and not necessarily a real threat to league

that being said, it is a warning call for rito that you can't just rest on ur laurels cos a game can easily come out of nowhere and become #1 overnight, so it creates some pressure on riot to stay relevant/competitive even if they're not really losing players themselves

and that's hopefully good news for us players as it means riot has more reasons to be nice to us

Interesting. I agree.

Leezard

definitely trying to move lulu to support role only

idk how i feel about this, riot seems to like locking down champions into certain roles a little too much
What? That change is a straight buff to both Lulu versions.

Right now support Lulu is not viable. She might get viable in two roles if the buffs hit correctly, or she will just get viable in one role again, but another role.

idk how i feel about this, riot seems to like locking down champions into certain roles a little too much
That's because allowing champions to be played in multiple roles rarely if ever works out.

Also these buffs benefit both carry and support Lulu.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
What? That change is a straight buff to both Lulu versions.

Right now support Lulu is not viable. She might get viable in two roles if the buffs hit correctly, or she will just get viable in one role again, but another role.

i mean in conjunction with the other lulu changes, it's moving her to even more of a utility role.

Leezard

i mean in conjunction with the other lulu changes, it's moving her to even more of a utility role.

Oh, yeah, it likely will. We'll still have to see it in action though, it's possible mid Lulu won't be hit too much by the Q changes. They did up the numbers when they added the 70% thing, after all.

Dobkeratops

OT Hard Carry
All these ARAM changes and still no full roster enabled in this mode. What's the rationale? Does Riot encourage ARAM only accounts? I'm a tad sick of being pitched against the same 10-15 broken champs every game.

386b150c53fab4fc218790d75f82e30a.png

gold 3

Quonny

qtpie's YouTube channel is amazing.

Good editing, funny content, new videos almost every day. It's the only channel I'm subbed to.

Newt

Yay, we managed to carry a full dmg Renekton and now promos to d4!

Protip: Don't spam all chat about how the enemy is getting more ganks than you are.
e9b5062ab63d35ce960982643335e5bb.png

Talents

Banned
Nice, queue for a normal and as soon as we enter lobby, this is typed:
Harbringer eevee LH&IC: oh fuck hell no
Gorgarosos TXS: Oh why hello there you autistic scumfuck
Lovely eevee LH&IC: i think i made my point as clear as i could and pls could you stop going this agressive at me?
Gorgarosos TXS: You point is not valid
Gorgarosos TXS: you braindead scumfuck
Gorgarosos TXS: you practically wasted
Gorgarosos TXS: 40 mins
Gorgarosos TXS: for no clear reason
Gorgarosos TXS: when the game could have been 25
Lovely eevee LH&IC: then we hust have diffent oppions but thats no reason to use such word
Gorgarosos TXS: that's not an opinion that's a fact
gave me a giggle.

Newt

One thing I do actually like about new champ select is the intended pick thing. Some dude wants to Rengar top, nope ban that out, you're gonna pick something easier to get carried on.

patchday

I couldnt read that chart since it was in Korean. Interesting to see OW take top spot. Like you elude to- I guess Riot might not be too alarmed. I'm thinking the only thing that could really hurt League is Riot themselves.

And man- you're right if all champs were free that would be so swweeeettt. It might kinda work out for Riot seeing as how many champs got like 10 skins or something (probably big exaggeration pulled outta my butt)

Honestly I guess the game is still just as good as the day I first played it. But it hasn't gotten much more fun if that makes any sense. They never seem to add any really cool features like sandbox mode, officially supported replays, mods, different ranked modes, etc. They just keep making safe changes kinda. Granted they took a big risk with Dynamic Queue and got burned for it. But it kinda reinforces my point- instead of messing with the classic formula I'd instead try to avoid more cool new modes

edit->

excellent matchmaking system at work here.

I think a bunch of people have quit ranked. They probably saw "auto-fill" popup and blazed

zkylon

zkylewd
Speaking of Lulu buffs, from the new PBE patch
as someone that loves midlane lulu i'm super into these changes

idea of playing mid lulu is that u add a shit ton of scaling utility to your team, so i'm cool with them nerfing her waveclear to give her more utility, specially if they don't nerf it that much

lulu's awesome

also the slow change in particular makes sense cos a 1s slow is pretty short, so it's not that big of a deal but it just makes sense for it to be that way.

overall i'd say both lulus end up stronger from these changes, so i'm pretty pleased, specially since they added a bit of a new mechanic to her e

balancing for multiple roles has always been a nightmare for rito, so it's probably for the best. not what's happening here tho, but yeah

fuck tank ekko

All these ARAM changes and still no full roster enabled in this mode. What's the rationale? Does Riot encourage ARAM only accounts? I'm a tad sick of being pitched against the same 10-15 broken champs every game.
riot is really dumb about this

i remember when south american server got started they enabled all the champions for everyone so playing arams was the best shit ever

and yeah it's crazy that they did so much work rebalancing it only to not add the most important change they should've done

I couldnt read that chart since it was in Korean. Interesting to see OW take top spot. Like you elude to- I guess Riot might not be too alarmed. I'm thinking the only thing that could really hurt League is Riot themselves.

And man- you're right if all champs were free that would be so swweeeettt. It might kinda work out for Riot seeing as how many champs got like 10 skins or something (probably big exaggeration pulled outta my butt)

Honestly I guess the game is still just as good as the day I first played it. But it hasn't gotten much more fun if that makes any sense. They never seem to add any really cool features like sandbox mode, officially supported replays, mods, different ranked modes, etc. They just keep making safe changes kinda. Granted they took a big risk with Dynamic Queue and got burned for it. But it kinda reinforces my point- instead of messing with the classic formula I'd instead try to avoid more cool new modes
there's not much of a reason for riot to make champions free as:
- #1 is it probably makes a shit ton of money for them
- creates a sort of smoother progression curve for new players than having to face 120 champions all at once (since new players generally only play the free week champions they slowly learn 10 champs every week)
- removing champions would make the ip currency pointless which is already a pretty dumb currency anyways
- $$$

but hey, would be cool, but they have to have systems in place to account for it, and they don't, so ehh, probably not in our lifetimes

Quonny

Pretty sure that has nothing to do with Dynamic Queue and more to do with ranked as a concept just being a joke in NA.

Same attitude as last season.

Pretty sure that has nothing to do with Dynamic Queue and more to do with ranked as a concept just being a joke in NA.

yeah

from the looks and sounds of it, most of the userbase is in silver/bronze, and the diamond+ community is extremely small.

It's a vicious cycle as far as NA high elo goes. Their own attitude torwards the ladder makes their queues worse, which makes them smurf, which makes queues even worse because challenger MMR is dead, and so on and on and on. And then there's the whole boosting problem.

Honestly, I don't think the current system will work as long as one player can have more than one challenger account. Dynamic Q would probably suit better a pure ELO system.

It's a vicious cycle as far as NA high elo goes. Their own attitude torwards the ladder makes their queues worse, which makes them smurf, which makes queues even worse because challenger MMR is dead, and so on and on and on. And then there's the whole boosting problem.

Honestly, I don't think the current system will work as long as one player can have more than one challenger account. Dynamic Q would probably suit better a pure ELO system.

I'm all for perma banning smurfs from challengers

perma ban the players

bar them from competition

Yes, yes. Enact the Solo-queue mandate. Pro players must queue from 9-5 every day. Every hour after they will earn 50 riot points. Streaming afterwards will be mandatory.

patchday

did you watch the video? Not trying to start an argument but I think you missed the point completely. He compares Dynamic Queue to 'mario party' because people can play dynamic with their friends and climb together. This did not exist last season (mario party and pro players not wanting to be involved with it)

Newt

Well there's lots of players in the challenger ladder that got there by only playing 5 man dynamic queue.

patchday

Another topic somewhat related: I cant help but wonder how popular League of Legends really is. None of my friends play anymore. Not a single one. And I am literally surrounded by gamers. Instead we all play overwatch, HoTS, and I watch my neighbor play Herathstone while we watch Game of Thrones together

I wear my Overwatch shirt out in public I'm bound to run into another fan (not exaggerating, today wore my Genji shirt and met another fan).

I'm not stupid tho and going to say League is dying. But I am thinking its going to have to get used to being runner up. All they do is spam new champs and skins. Not much meaningful content since I've started playing

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
the thing is leeg has a large overlap with people who aren't your typical gamer spamming overwatch and keeping up to date on hardware and consoles and shit

they're just playing leeg on their toaster and happy to be silver 2

Quonny

did you watch the video? Not trying to start an argument but I think you missed the point completely. He compares Dynamic Queue to 'mario party' because people can play dynamic with their friends and climb together. This did not exist last season (mario party and pro players not wanting to be involved with it)

Yes, I watched the video.

His main crux is that there's no point to reach challenger because people are just queuing up and getting "carried".

I'm arguing there's no point to challenger because in NA challenger is a joke. It has been a joke for years.

patchday

I'm going to make one more whine post then probably hush for a bit.

But I remember how EXCITED I was for the new client. I expected something like Dota Reborn's UI where everything is integrated and we could hopefully get some fast loading maps.

NOPE

At least they finally added weekend warrior so thats good. LCS is still amazing.

Oh right they added these awful random loot chest things....

patchday

Yes, I watched the video.

His main crux is that there's no point to reach challenger because people are just queuing up and getting "carried".

I'm arguing there's no point to challenger because in NA challenger is a joke. It has been a joke for years.

Ah fair point, thank you for clarifying I misunderstood

zer0das

Banned
yeah

from the looks and sounds of it, most of the userbase is in silver/bronze, and the diamond+ community is extremely small.

That's because it is. And any elo system is going to have the majority of the players at the bottom. That's just how it is. Not everyone is a grandmaster. Very few are.

Quonny

Another topic somewhat related: I cant help but wonder how popular League of Legends really is. None of my friends play anymore. Not a single one. And I am literally surrounded by gamers. Instead we all play overwatch, HoTS, and I watch my neighbor play Herathstone while we watch Game of Thrones together

I wear my Overwatch shirt out in public I'm bound to run into another fan (not exaggerating, today wore my Genji shirt and met another fan).

I'm not stupid tho and going to say League is dying. But I am thinking its going to have to get used to being runner up. All they do is spam new champs and skins. Not much meaningful content since I've started playing

League had 90 million monthly users in 2015. It may have gone up or down, but let's say it's fallen by 20 million, and I seriously doubt it's that much, if at all. But let's be conservative at 70 million. That's 700% more than Overwatch and that game is on fire. That's 600% more than Dota 2's monthly users. That's 1000% more than World of Warcraft subscribers. Hearthstone has 40 million accounts period.

It's nowhere close to being runner up to anything. And I'm not just blindly defending the game. I only play it once or twice a week, and only with friends, and recently only in Twisted Treeline. I dunno. I just think you have Blizzard fans for friends.

That's because it is. And any elo system is going to have the majority of the players at the bottom. That's just how it is. Not everyone is a grandmaster. Very few are.

but then you have places like the s. korean league servers where masters/challengers are actually plentiful and none of the issues that NA has exists over there(in terms of queue time/finding games/going against competitive people).

zkylon

zkylewd
you're just living in overwatch bubble, that's all

league is free

that's all you need to know league won't be anything but #1 anytime soon

also idk what ppl are talking with league not having new stuff, what do you even mean?

Zynx

One thing I do actually like about new champ select is the intended pick thing. Some dude wants to Rengar top, nope ban that out, you're gonna pick something easier to get carried on.

I've run into enough players like you that I don't show my picks anymore. Plus when you do this you have a decent chance of tilting your teammate. Actually, it feels increasingly common that the players I get matched with have stopped showing their picks too, so every time I ban I have to ask "are you planning on playing (Swain/Voli/etc.)?"

So now we just have an extra half minute of wait time at the start of pick/bans.

I predict all Lulu winrates will drop if the 70% Q damage on non-initial targets change goes through. Feels to me all of you are underestimating how important that damage is to her.

Top Bottom