• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT12| No more Lyte, just darkness.

Calvero

Banned
i'm surprised that with how worried rito seems to be about not showing you your elo so you don't get bullied or whatever, they just introduced a really big thing that tells the community of assholes that you don't deserve your rank

yeah. it's weird as hell.

Leezard

i'm surprised that with how worried rito seems to be about not showing you your elo so you don't get bullied or whatever, they just introduced a really big thing that tells the community of assholes that you don't deserve your rank

It feels contradictory but it's a compromise I guess. The compromise is only necessary because dynamic queue is a thing though.

Maybe if we're (un)lucky the whole system will be reverted to early Season 1. Visible elo, solo/duo only, no dodge penalty. The wild west of ranked.

zkylon

zkylewd
at this point i don't get why you can't have two different rankings like they do in doto

why is it better to have this emblem stuff than that?

feels like all this emblem stuff does is cheapen your rank if you're not doing solo q?

i really don't get this decision, i don't think it'll have much of negative effect but i can't see anything positive coming out of this either and i don't get what it's supposed to accomplish

yeah sorry if you've been afk you don't get to complain about your team

wtf ppl have some self respect

Hey, I could still 1v1 the irelia no prob even being a half level behind and she didn't wonder off to any other lanes or anything so my team feeding the kitty 10+ kills had nothing to do with me. I mean ... JG died to him before I even left.

Hey, I could still 1v1 the irelia no prob even being a half level behind and she didn't wonder off to any other lanes or anything so my team feeding the kitty 10+ kills had nothing to do with me. I mean ... JG died to him before I even left.
You not in lane > the advantage you got goes to waste since it's not being applied in your team's favor > no pressure on the Irelia that is behind so she can actually farm and catch up > no reason to go anywhere near top and gank for her > more pressure on mid and bot > more pressure on your jungler > more pressure on dragon > loss.

Not saying it's entirely your fault but cut your team some slack, a 4v5 affects way more than a single lane. You basically gave half of the map to the enemy jungler and mid laner in a silver platter.

Calvero

Banned

i hope you never complain about a 4v5 you're a part of.

zkylon

zkylewd
so the more i think about this emblem thing the less sense it makes since this emblem does nothing for ppl that actually like dynamic queue but shame them for the benefit of solo queuers' ego

and while riot is gonna probably only show it on your profile and not in like your loading screen or whatever, it's probably gonna be datamined by op.gg and such so you now know who to blame for being boosted when they don't gank your lane enough or whatever. unless it's 100% hidden, in which case what's the point?

am i missing something here?

patchday

lol leave Black-Wind alone. Everyone should be able to take break, go sip some whine, play with their kids, maybe even get lucky with their wife, and come back and expect their team to hold the front

I'm with ya Black us casuals gotta have each other's back yo

so the more i think about this emblem thing the less sense it makes since this emblem does nothing for ppl that actually like dynamic queue but shame them for the benefit of solo queuers' ego

and while riot is gonna probably only show it on your profile and not in like your loading screen or whatever, it's probably gonna be datamined by op.gg and such so you now know who to blame for being boosted when they don't gank your lane enough or whatever. unless it's 100% hidden, in which case what's the point?

am i missing something here?

It's their way of separating elo without actually separating elo. Like you've been asking for them to do D-queue elo and S-queue elo, this is their replacement for that without having to deal with the headache of doing a mid-season elo split. Maybe next season they'll implement something like that, but right now this is only a band-aid~

Talents

Banned
GAF club is pretty much dead. Too many people either on Overwatch, or maybe League is just dying.

It's very difficult to get your players to stop leaving. You actually have to listen to your community. But where's the fun in that?

It's very difficult to get your players to stop leaving. You actually have to listen to your community. But where's the fun in that?

Eh, Riot does listen though.

Take Bungie for example. They don't. Despite much criticism, they continue to balance both the player vs. AI and PvP together. And they make weird ass decisions like nerfing the popular things.

Having played Destiny and seen what Bungie does during my league sabbatical, I can easily say that Riot does a load better at listening.

zkylon

zkylewd
It's their way of separating elo without actually separating elo. Like you've been asking for them to do D-queue elo and S-queue elo, this is their replacement for that without having to deal with the headache of doing a mid-season elo split. Maybe next season they'll implement something like that, but right now this is only a band-aid~
i mean, they wouldn't even need to split elos, just ranking but yeah, you're right that doing something in the middle of the season is kind of rough

actually i've been thinking about how overwatch is gonna do really short seasons (2 and a half months) and i would've love if league shifted to something like that, maybe 6 month seasons instead of one for the whole year

i feel like with a really long season i lose interest pretty quick while if i was asked to do placements at least two times every year i'd probably at least play like twice as many games lol

lol community doesn't give a shit about dynamic queue stuff

not even pros care about that shit and they're supposed to be the most competitive players of all

you have painted yourself a pretty little picture of what the state of league of legends currently is that very little in common with reality, no one is leaving league only because net cafes in korea are having plenty of overwatch players (lmao) and most people actually like playing the game with their friends and like the free skins they're gonna get now

you actually think most players are mad about being able to play ranked with their friends lol?

You not being in lane = rengar is free to gank other lanes

You not in lane > the advantage you got goes to waste since it's not being applied in your team's favor > no pressure on the Irelia that is behind so she can actually farm and catch up > no reason to go anywhere near top and gank for her > more pressure on mid and bot > more pressure on your jungler > more pressure on dragon > loss.

Not saying it's entirely your fault but cut your team some slack, a 4v5 affects way more than a single lane. You basically gave half of the map to the enemy jungler and mid laner in a silver platter.

i hope you never complain about a 4v5 you're a part of.

I know there's a matrix of cause and effects from having to dip out of the game for 2-3 mins and I know it's not all on each of them and that I had a my fair share of blame. But I feel like I've realized that protecting yourself from getting ganked is something you're personal responsibility when you're in a lane.

Like in the 4v5 game I talked about a lil ago where the Jhin went AFK because he died 3 times before level 6. Sure, I was annoyed when I died to a random Morg roam with the JG because Cait had a free lane and morg could wonder around the map. But I knew it was my fault for being over extended without warding or knowing where heads were on the map. We came back and got ahead when everyone played safer but we couldn't make it work in the end.

But that's just me I guess.

You can't prevent every gank. Specially not against a Rengar, you are going to get shiv'd at least once if the Rengar is good.
GAF club is pretty much dead. Too many people either on Overwatch, or maybe League is just dying.
I'm just taking an extended break.
Yeah, it's basically something to appease people without spending serious resources on.

I really hope we get some DOTA like solution going on.
lol leave Black-Wind alone. Everyone should be able to take break, go sip some whine, play with their kids, maybe even get lucky with their wife, and come back and expect their team to hold the front

I'm with ya Black us casuals gotta have each other's back yo
That's what single player games are for.

Newt

The thing is, when you don't respect your vocal community in a multiplayer type game, your game essentially dies. It happened with halo, it happened with SC2 and it's probably happening with league.

Dynamic queue isn't even that bad, but the thing is when you generate all this negative discourse you're in load of pain. I hate to say this, but even though Reddit only makes up 1% of the people playing league, the influence of those type of players are what really decides if your game is gonna be successful or not.

Game dev's need to understand that you need to cater to the competitive audience, and the casual audience will follow them. You cater to the casual audience and you end up like Nintendo. Great short term gain, but look at that shitty ass Wii U that no-one bought.

Edit: Quick note that Reddit players "aren't really the competitive audience" but they do follow the competitive audience. Eg pro says something, most redditors will blindly agree.

Talents

Banned
Yeah I know what happened in Halo. It used to be my favorite game, I played Halo 3 from Jan 2008 - 2012 non stop. When I said that Halo was dying in the Halo 4 thread because 343 was not listening to the community either (they refused to add a visible ranking system like 1-50 in Halo 3 because it encouraged boosting lol), everyone in that thread hated me, was pretty funny. Then look at that, before Halo 5 was even released, Halo was dead as shit.

The thing is, when you don't respect your vocal community in a multiplayer type game, your game essentially dies. It happened with halo, it happened with SC2 and it's probably happening with league.

Dynamic queue isn't even that bad, but the thing is when you generate all this negative discourse you're in load of pain. I hate to say this, but even though Reddit only makes up 1% of the people playing league, the influence of those type of players are what really decides if your game is gonna be successful or not.

Game dev's need to understand that you need to cater to the competitive audience, and the casual audience will follow them. You cater to the casual audience and you end up like Nintendo. Great short term gain, but look at that shitty ass Wii U that no-one bought.

Edit: Quick note that Reddit players "aren't really the competitive audience" but they do follow the competitive audience. Eg pro says something, most redditors will blindly agree.

wat

Halo 5 actually has a lively community. If you're talking about Halo 4, it was more of bad balance decisions that killed the game. As for SC2, League and all the mobas cames at that time which essentially killed it. SC2 didn't die because Blizzard wasn't listening to their players.

As for League, the biggest issue the competitive players have isn't Dynamic queue or autofill(Aside from a few who can't handle supporting) but the fact that the population in high MMR is actually quite small.

As for the Nintendo comment...it was a matter that they released a system that had little to no difference from the Wii aside from teh fact that it has a gamepad(Thus actually leading to confusion from the casual audience, not catering towards them), and that it was barely an upgrade from the Wii at all. It definitely wasn't them catering to the casual audience.(Although the NX does seem to be looking for that 'mobile' stint what with the rumors about it, so that is something you can say that will cater to the casual audience.)

That and over time, it's only natural that a game loses it's audience. But bad analogies don't really mean that League is losing people because Riot won't listen/caters to the lowest common denominator~

Edit~For Halo 4, this thread outlines the huge issues that game had. And no, 'boosting' nor the ranked system wasn't a part of it

zkylon

zkylewd
i would love to see any stat that demonstrates that league is dying or that the community at large gives an actual fuck about dynamic queue

Talents

Banned
BreezyLimbo;207545821 Edit~[URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=709697" said:
For Halo 4, this thread outlines the huge issues that game had. And no, 'boosting' nor the ranked system wasn't a part of it[/URL]

I didn't say boosting was a reason for anything, that was what Lord O'Connor repeatedly stated when people asked why 1-50 wasn't returning. I know I personally didn't keep playing because there was no ranking system, and my Halo team and lots of other players on my friends list stopped playing because of it as well. What's the point of playing a game if there's no ranking system? We just played against shitters repeatedly and won majority of our games the first couple of days after H4 released because the system of matching players was garbage.

i would love to see any stat that demonstrates that league is dying or that the community at large gives an actual fuck about dynamic queue

I'd also like to see stats released by Riot of the amount of players playing the game this season compared to last season. But according to Riot, there's no point because it doesn't reflect how the game is actually doing, or so I remember.

Newt

wat

Halo 5 actually has a lively community. If you're talking about Halo 4, it was more of bad balance decisions that killed the game. As for SC2, League and all the mobas cames at that time which essentially killed it. SC2 didn't die because Blizzard wasn't listening to their players.

As for League, the biggest issue the competitive players have isn't Dynamic queue or autofill(Aside from a few who can't handle supporting) but the fact that the population in high MMR is actually quite small.

As for the Nintendo comment...it was a matter that they released a system that had little to no difference from the Wii aside from teh fact that it has a gamepad(Thus actually leading to confusion from the casual audience, not catering towards them), and that it was barely an upgrade from the Wii at all. It definitely wasn't them catering to the casual audience.(Although the NX does seem to be looking for that 'mobile' stint what with the rumors about it, so that is something you can say that will cater to the casual audience.)

That and over time, it's only natural that a game loses it's audience. But bad analogies don't really mean that League is losing people because Riot won't listen/caters to the lowest common denominator~

Edit~For Halo 4, this thread outlines the huge issues that game had. And no, 'boosting' nor the ranked system wasn't a part of it
Well the Halo 5 community is hard to really judge since it's on Xbox One which is a much less successful console compared to the Xbox 360. It's population is significantly less than the daily Halo 3 population at a similar time after that game was released.

Anyways, saying "League is dying is an exaggeration". The game has peaked, and is on the slow decline.

we don't release numbers because we don't like to brag. We don't need to attract investors, so if we just keep saying we're the biggest it just looks cocky.

League has continued to grow every year, and while I won't say specific numbers, our playerbase is significantly higher than the last numbers we released, which was 67 million active players in 2014 (I think it was 2014, might have been 2013)

The rhetoric that League is dying is something that comes with us not revealing our numbers, but better that than us dick-waving every year.

Newt

we don't release numbers because we don't like to brag. We don't need to attract investors, so if we just keep saying we're the biggest it just looks cocky.

League has continued to grow every year, and while I won't say specific numbers, our playerbase is significantly higher than the last numbers we released, which was 67 million active players in 2014 (I think it was 2014, might have been 2013)

The rhetoric that League is dying is something that comes with us not revealing our numbers, but better that than us dick-waving every year.
What your saying just kinda sounds like bullshit, independent of it being true or false lol.

I don't personally play WoW, but I think LoL is on a similar path.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
What your saying just kinda sounds like bullshit, independent of it being true or false lol.

the league of legends of legends fighting game spinoff will solve everything....

zkylon

zkylewd
lol based on what?

the whole league is dying story really feels to me like a bit of a pathetic way of ppl pretending they matter more than they do when in reality the game will do perfectly fine without catering to them

i can sympathize, i'm not the biggest fan of dynamic queue either and i think riot makes a lot of stupid decisions that hurt their players but the conspiracy theories are getting old and at one point you're gonna have to face the fact that league doesn't really care about you as much as you think it did

I'd also like to see stats released by Riot of the amount of players playing the game this season compared to last season. But according to Riot, there's no point because it doesn't reflect how the game is actually doing, or so I remember.
they don't because there's nothing for them to gain from it. the responsibility in proving that league is dying is in the ppl claiming so, not in riot

if someone said there's like 25% less players now or whatever and had like actual numbers and shit then riot would be forced to give their own data or comment or whatever

but if ppl are gonna speculated based on nothing but their friends playing a ton of overwatch then it would actually be kind of sad if riot felt so insecure as to have to shut them up

WoW and League are completely different beasts though. You can't see the path WoW took and say 'Yup I think League is on a similar path' without knowing the intricacies of what led to WoWs decline(And yet they're still the biggest MMO game out there)

Newt

Even after League's decline it;s still gonna be the most popular MOBA.

Again, I don't think League is "dying".

I do think we've hit the peak recently though, and it will never have that high of a concurrent population again.

Interesting stats on Google Trends.

The reason I brought up WoW is just because it's another game in it's decline. I don't think League and WoW share any of the same issues.

Halo.
b1c6960cb18c7b19adfc3250ee39819b.png

World of Warcraft.
b9c9b90d5eca3b326311b3312df652e3.png

League of legends.
fdd5343592a23b7d2ea73243bba9f17b.png

Got 5K IP ... who should I buy, Akali or Vlad?

Thinking Vlad cause in my wooden potato elo people don't seem to give one fuck about Grievous Wounds. Like in this game, asked the ADC if she was gonna buy a EC and she didn't seem to understand why I would ask her to do that. Every member of their team other then the ADC has some kinda HP regen trick and the ADC has a BT :/

Talents

Banned
Got 5K IP ... who should I buy, Akali or Vlad?

Thinking Vlad cause in my wooden potato elo people don't seem to give one fuck about Grievous Wounds. Like in this game, asked the ADC if she was gonna buy a EC and she didn't seem to understand why I would ask her to do that. Every member of their team other then the ADC has some kinda HP regen trick and the ADC has a BT :/

Akali is garbage if you don't get ahead. Vlad is broken as fuck atm but is getting nerfed soon I'm pretty sure.

Akali is garbage if you don't get ahead. Vlad is broken as fuck atm but is getting nerfed soon I'm pretty sure.

Huh, I don't fuck with "shit if you don't get ahead" champs. That's why I don't do Assassins so much and why I stopped playing Garen ... :/

I just had to dodge a ranked game cause Sup wanted to go "Sup Tank Akali". The ADC banned it and then they tried to go Sup Draven so I dipped outta that -_-

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
you say that, but the only reason i got into leeg it's because it's the most accessible moba that i'm aware of, with the proportionally highest level of polish

something like doto was kinda offputting for me with the cheesy "x just pwned y" announcements and the upgrade paths were a lot harder for me to understand in doto than leeg

when i first started playing leeg i thought it was more cost efficient to buy an item at once then "waste money" on the individual components, so i'd wait till i got 3-4k gold before buying anything

Joco

So Dark Star Thresh is the login image but he's disabled because of that screen freezing bug. Seriously, how does that not get caught immediately in testing?

Even after League's decline it;s still gonna be the most popular MOBA.

Again, I don't think League is "dying".

I do think we've hit the peak recently though, and it will never have that high of a concurrent population again.

Interesting stats on Google Trends.

The reason I brought up WoW is just because it's another game in it's decline. I don't think League and WoW share any of the same issues.

Halo.
b1c6960cb18c7b19adfc3250ee39819b.png

World of Warcraft.
b9c9b90d5eca3b326311b3312df652e3.png

League of legends.
fdd5343592a23b7d2ea73243bba9f17b.png

Google trends aren't indicative of a games health. People know where to get the information for League, so of course 5 years in it's going to go on a decline. For example, if one person keeps googling League of Legends, then they're not going to count for the chart anymore. Likewise, going directly to league, or surrender@20, or consuming your information from reddit doesn't add to the google trends.

not only that but a wow trial is literally 1/50th of the full game, it's really nothing. No chat, no trade, max level 20, it's literally a trial~

Top Bottom