• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT12| No more Lyte, just darkness.

Zukuu

Banned
I just got back into league after a long hiatus. After a few matches I started to go back to my beloved Pantheon jungle and owned pretty hard, so I maxed out my items pretty quickly.

What would be a good item to replace the jungle item, if at all? I lose the ward passive, but would gain better stats + another passive.

What would you recommend?

My usual end build (when I'm ahead) is:

Tracker's Knife (Warrior)
Rav. Hydra
Black Cleaver
Randuin's Omen
Banshee's Veil / Warmogs / Guardian Angel / Frozen Mallet / Dead Man's Plate / Sterak's Gage
Armor or Magic def Boots

Thought about replacing Tracker's Knife with Death's Dance, Maw or Youmuu's Ghostblade, but I'm unsure if it's actually worth it. I usually run Armor Pen reds.

I actually think about selling the boots too, since I usually jump to engage coordinated with my team, but it would also hinder my split pushing ability.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
Gonna try to go from Gold V to Plat V in a month. Only played about 20 ranked games and a few unranked this season so there's a bit of rust but I think I'll be fine. I don't have the time to get into mid or jungle due to general unfamiliarity with those roles but Janna has always been freelo in the past so I guess it's time to do some spamming.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I just got back into league after a long hiatus. After a few matches I started to go back to my beloved Pantheon jungle and owned pretty hard, so I maxed out my items pretty quickly.

What would be a good item to replace the jungle item, if at all? I lose the ward passive, but would gain better stats + another passive.

Rav. Hydra
Black Cleaver
Randuin's Omen
Banshee's Veil / Warmogs / Guardian Angel / Frozen Mallet / Dead Man's Plate / Sterak's Gage
Armor or Magic def Boots

Thought about replacing Tracker's Knife with Death's Dance, Maw or Youmuu's Ghostblade, but I'm unsure if it's actually worth it. I usually run Armor Pen reds.

I actually think about selling the boots too, since I usually jump to engage coordinated with my team, but it would also hinder my split pushing ability.
Isn't ghost blade all the rage on mantheon these days

zkylon

zkylewd
really excited to try taliyah again

i'm not sure where this buff will put her, buti just want to desperately play more taliyah

Neol

Rav. Hydra
Black Cleaver
Randuin's Omen
Armor or Magic def Boots

Isn't ghost blade all the rage on mantheon these days

Yea ghost blade is pretty core nowadays.

A lot of people don't really build defensively on Pantheon anymore since all the new armor pen items keeps him relevant throughout the whole game as his ability to blow up a target is ridiulous atm. Your build is fine for a safe pantheon but since Pantheon is super strong early game you really want to go super aggressive on items early on.

Not sure the build path since Panth go top these days but ultimately I think it should be:

-Warriors with challenging smite so you wreck in 1v1 engages. Chilling is alright too early on but challenging is better later in the game.
-Youmuu's as the stats and the active gives you a significant spike in power and builds well with the character in general.
-Mobi or Swiftness boots. I don't really like merc's cause in the end Pantheon is the one that should be initiating and catching out people and mobi/swifteness helps you in these cases.
-Cleaver/Maw. Cleaver is usually the ideal but if they have a lot of AP building a hexdrinker early on and finishing it to maw is also great.

After that its mostly situational items. For offense Duskblade is pretty scary on him and people actually rush this after yoummu's if there super fed. Death's dance is also good too for the raw stats as well as the healing passive. Defensive wise there is Dead man's for catching people out easier, steraks for survivability and GA for revive.

Note if you super behind/ feed then you just want to skip youmuu and build cleaver and tank it out in hopes your teammates to finish the job.

yay solo queue

can u do a tldr, cant read it all cos im at work

We have solo/duo queue which is like it was in previous years

We also have flex queue that is pretty much the same as dynamic queue this year, but with unique rewards

There will be extra rewards for those who place high in both solo/duo queue and flex queue

The changes and improvements made over the course of this season will hopefully allow us to support both queues, but if flex queue population ends up being really low because no solo players play in that queue then we'll switch it to 5-man only, but without the weird roster management stuff of ranked 5s

Leezard

can u do a tldr, cant read it all cos im at work
Remember Season 2015's ranked system? It's a lot like that. Queue up alone or with one trusted friend and aim for Gold (or higher). The major differences from 2015 are that you'll be able to select two preferred positions and veto your least favorite (when autofill is enabled or if you choose fill). Challenger tier will also remain solo-only.
The Ranked Flex Queue allows up to five players to queue up and compete—a lot like 2016's DQ—and those who climb here will earn unique rewards (and additional flair on their border) at the end of the season. If your premade squad wants a serious, competitive game, this is where you play. Or, if you're a solo player who wants to get good in an environment that rewards more team-oriented skills, the Flex Queue is also there for you. Ranked fives will naturally be merged with this queue, and as a result they'll be available 24/7.

Info from reddit, queues and mmr are separate from each other.

So, if I understood correctly, will you have a different elo for solo/duo and for flex queue?

[–]The_Cactopus [score hidden] 4 minutes ago
Yep. They're totally separate queues and ladders.

There's a tradeoff though, you're not gonna be able to play ranked 5s with wildly different ranks among players:

Ultimately, we're making a trade-off here, but it's one we're okay with for a few reasons. If you're letting Bronze players queue up alongside Diamond friends, it's nearly impossible for us to create a well-matched game. We've tried it in the past with the Ranked Teams queue, and some players liked it, but queue populations were always incredibly small and match quality was inconsistent. Since we're supporting ranked five-on-five games in the Flex queue, we've got to draw a line here: in our new system, Normals are the best place for low-ranked players to queue up with their highly-ranked friends.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Are queue times going to get better? It blows my mind that this is the most played game in the world and I'm getting like 5 mins minimum wait for normals. Ranked is even worse unless I play support.

Quonny

Are queue times going to get better? It blows my mind that this is the most played game in the world and I'm getting like 5 mins minimum wait for normals. Ranked is even worse unless I play support.

Going to get a lot worse.

Also, good luck being a 4 man in the new FQ. Who in their right mind would play FQ as a solo player above gold? I can see people getting to gold for the rewards, but lol fuck playing FQ as a solo player.

Plus throw in that you can say "I'm not playing this role" and queue times are going to be a disaster.

Also, good luck being a 4 man in the new FQ. Who in their right mind would play FQ as a solo player above gold? I can see people getting to gold for the rewards, but lol fuck playing FQ as a solo player.

Plus throw in that you can say "I'm not playing this role" and queue times are going to be a disaster.

What about someone who cares about their solo/duo rank, is high ranked in flex as well, wants to try hard and learn a champion but not at the expense of their solo/duo rank.

Leezard

So basically solo = old queue and flex = dynamic version of ranked 5?
Pretty much.

Auto-fill is probably going to be active more often.
What about someone who cares about their solo/duo rank, is high ranked in flex as well, wants to try hard and learn a champion but not at the expense of their solo/duo rank.

Sure, you can see it as almost a smurf account. It should see some use, even if it will have worse queue times.

If it doesn't work out they'll just completely revert it to ranked 5s and be done with it

Quonny

So then they feed and have a horrible time being gangpiled by the 4-man queue. Sounds fun.

The worst part of dynamic queue were the games when you were a solo player grouped up with four people. There is nothing fun getting flamed all game and ganged up on because your team is full of buddies and the jungle ignores you, they ignore your calls, and don't communicate what they're doing.

Going solo into FQ is going to suck and no one is going to do it (above gold, mind you).

Leezard

Going solo with dynamic queue this season hasn't been an issue, though. I'm speaking mainly about diamond ranks. FQ shouldn't be that much worse, even if it has a larger proportion of 4-mans, which are not always an issue.

Zukuu

Banned
Yea ghost blade is pretty core nowadays.

A lot of people don't really build defensively on Pantheon anymore since all the new armor pen items keeps him relevant throughout the whole game as his ability to blow up a target is ridiulous atm. Your build is fine for a safe pantheon but since Pantheon is super strong early game you really want to go super aggressive on items early on.

Not sure the build path since Panth go top these days but ultimately I think it should be:

-Warriors with challenging smite so you wreck in 1v1 engages. Chilling is alright too early on but challenging is better later in the game.
-Youmuu's as the stats and the active gives you a significant spike in power and builds well with the character in general.
-Mobi or Swiftness boots. I don't really like merc's cause in the end Pantheon is the one that should be initiating and catching out people and mobi/swifteness helps you in these cases.
-Cleaver/Maw. Cleaver is usually the ideal but if they have a lot of AP building a hexdrinker early on and finishing it to maw is also great.

After that its mostly situational items. For offense Duskblade is pretty scary on him and people actually rush this after yoummu's if there super fed. Death's dance is also good too for the raw stats as well as the healing passive. Defensive wise there is Dead man's for catching people out easier, steraks for survivability and GA for revive.

Note if you super behind/ feed then you just want to skip youmuu and build cleaver and tank it out in hopes your teammates to finish the job.

yay solo queue
Yeah I rush the offensive items first and then build defense. Why isn't hydra used more? It's imo essential. Makes jungle clears ridiculously easy, faster, brings sustain, saves mana and makes for godlike pushing power.

I don't like to go squishy pant on endgame tho, so I like to get some HP later. BC is a good mix during midgame, before transitioning into def items.

So I should get the smite items and not the warding item?

Leezard

That's because there isn't an alternative that is quite literally made for solo players.

Proportion of 1- and 2-players are going to be smaller in FQ, but it should be fine. DQ taught us that 4-player premades aren't that bad to play with. Of course it's going to be worse than solo queue, but that should balance itself out with 4-man premades getting sick of queue times.

Why wouldn't you just use FQ as a free smurf account if you enjoy smurfing?

Quonny

Proportion of 1- and 2-players are going to be smaller in FQ, but it should be fine. DQ taught us that 4-player premades aren't that bad.

Why wouldn't you just use FQ as a free smurf account if you enjoy smurfing?

But even 3-player premades are going to have problems finding 2-player premades in FQ.

I dunno, how many people actually have smurf accounts that are both plat+? That number can't be high at all.

Yeah...I'm all for having a separate Flex mode and Solo/Duo queue, but I really don't think it's viable with League. Already there seem to be problems with ranked queue in general, and separating it further is...well....no bueno.

Leezard

But even 3-player premades are going to have problems finding 2-player premades in FQ.

I dunno, how many people actually have smurf accounts that are both plat+? That number can't be high at all.
Sure, it might die and become 5-man only. 3-player premades can still play with 2 solo players though.

People that are higher ranks will get plat+ on their smurfs really easily. How many people are interested in smurfing is another matter. 1 in 10 players maybe? People that are plat+ are already a small fraction of the player base so it's going to be worse for sure. Maybe it's just really bad and Riot will shut it down for rank 5s only.

Less high-rank players mean that we might get some rank inflation though, gold players will likely have an easier time reaching plat in FQ if there are fewer real plat+ players.

phinious

I have really enjoyed dynamic queue this season. I think the people whining about it are exaggerating the problems. Huge upgrade for me.

I have really enjoyed dynamic queue this season. I think the people whining about it are exaggerating the problems. Huge upgrade for me.

Eh, DQ raised unwanted roles to be more prominent yet players didnt or dont want to learn those roles, Riot can fix everything they want except that mentality.

Personally Riot need to focus on supports being more rewarding somehow

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know how dota does it w/ respect to party vs solo mmr? Are party and solo players mixed there?
There is just one ranked q with everyone lumped together. Everyone has two visible mmrs, one is solo and one is party. 2,3 or 5 stacks affect your party and 4 stacks aren't allowed in ranked. Obviously the system still calculates for fair matches.

ChrisD

Eh, DQ raised unwanted roles to be more prominent yet players didnt or dont want to learn those roles, Riot can fix everything they want except that mentality.

Personally Riot need to focus on supports being more rewarding somehow

Lulu buffs can make it more rewarding, trust me I'm an expert

So, how is the new champ, yay or nay

His bushes are a huuuuge pain to play against in-lane. Went against one Supporting earlier. That Fog of War is very stressing to play around.

zkylon

zkylewd
i'm not sure why dyn q must die instead of solo q if there are bad q times

didn't rito say most people liked dyn q better?

Top Bottom