• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT12| No more Lyte, just darkness.

Talents

Banned
You're winning low amounts because your MMR is low for where you are.

MMR gains/losses are not static, you won't always win/lose the exact same number no matter how you're doing overall.

Then somethign must have happened during the 5 months I wasn't playing, cause I was D1 then and I'm D2 now, yet my LP gain were good during D1, +20 and -15 and shit.

Then somethign must have happened during the 5 months I wasn't playing, cause I was D1 then and I'm D2 now, yet my LP gain were good during D1, +20 and -15 and shit.
If you didn't play for 5 months then your MMR got nuked by demotions. When you were in D1 you had good MMR, now you don't, being in D2 now doesn't really mean anything for your LP, your current MMR just isn't at a D1 level so the system is holding you back until you win more.

Talents

Banned
If you didn't play for 5 months then your MMR got nuked by demotions. When you were in D1 you had good MMR, now you don't, being in D2 now doesn't really mean anything for your LP, your current MMR just isn't at a D1 level so the system is holding you back until you win more.

Well I played 1 rank game a month in order to not demote, everything was normal every ranked game I played once a month until like 2 months ago when I noticed that I had a massive lp drop, thought it was just that game but now it's happening constantly.

Well I played 1 rank game a month in order to not demote, everything was normal every ranked game I played once a month until like 2 months ago when I noticed that I had a massive lp drop, thought it was just that game but now it's happening constantly.
Well the only thing I can think of is the demotion changes shaking up the MMR of the entire ladder making your MMR not as good in comparison to people having to play way more often.

drawkcaB

Someone can chime in if I'm wrong, but just because you're playing a ranked game here and there to avoid demotion doesn't mean your MMR isn't going down during that time. It doesn't freeze your MMR, it was degrading the entire time even if your rank wasn't.

Ken

frgt_zps3x3lp6lv.png

:mad:((((((((((((((

Newt

Someone can chime in if I'm wrong, but just because you're playing a ranked game here and there to avoid demotion doesn't mean your MMR isn't going down during that time. It doesn't freeze your MMR, it was degrading the entire time even if your rank wasn't.
MMR does decay actually.

You're in d2 while at d4 mmr atm.

I am so fucking tired of hexdrinker. AD assassins/bruisers already have generally good matchups into mages, why do they need a snowball item that makes them unkillable 1v1? What does AP have to defend against a fed AD?

I am so fucking tired of hexdrinker. AD assassins/bruisers already have generally good matchups into mages, why do they need a snowball item that makes them unkillable 1v1? What does AP have to defend against a fed AD?

Seeker's into Zhonya's, an AP armour item with one of the most powerful actives in the game?

drawkcaB

MMR does decay actually.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying, that your MMR decays independently from rank. So while playing the odd game might prevent your from losing your rank it won't prevent your MMR from constantly going down.

So in the particular instance we're talking about, Talents playing a game here and there over the course of the last five months was preventing his rank from decaying below where he left it but his MMR was decaying during that period regardless, hance why when he started playing again at D1 he's getting the sort of LP losses that would indicate his MMR has decayed by a lot more.

As with any champion that had an overloaded kit and ended up being problematic, I'd look at removing something significant and yet unnecessary from her kit and working my way up from there. My first move would be have Rend only stack against champions and kill off her epic monster control power. Buff her from there.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Oh yeah I'll just rush that on Ori and be oom for the next 20 mins and lose even harder.

Zhonyas is only bought on suicide mages like Kennen and Lissandra these days. It's pretty terrible. Hexdrinker is core on like everyone.

Lost Chapter into Zhonya's is completely fine. You lose out on the CDR but you still get 300 flat mana plus 20% max mana every level, all for 900 gold.

Though I do agree with you that Maw is pretty dumb right now.

Oh yeah I'll just rush that on Ori and be oom for the next 20 mins and lose even harder.

Zhonyas is only bought on suicide mages like Kennen and Lissandra these days. It's pretty terrible. Hexdrinker is core on like everyone.
complains about armor pen item that gives mr

doesn't build ap item that gives armor

?????

Kenai

Going for gold again. Climbed from 0lp Silver 2 to halfway through Silver 1 in a few days. Since I got into promos before there will be a free win waiting for me up there too.

Apparently the secret to my success (so far anyway) is not playing support in solo Q and just eating the extra queue time. I won't jng but mid/top/adc is all up for grabs and I have snowballed most of my games. I thought I was bad (I still do) but I won't argue with the results.

Newt

Going for gold again. Climbed from 0lp Silver 2 to halfway through Silver 1 in a few days. Since I got into promos before there will be a free win waiting for me up there too.

Apparently the secret to my success (so far anyway) is not playing support in solo Q and just eating the extra queue time. I won't jng but mid/top/adc is all up for grabs and I have snowballed most of my games. I thought I was bad (I still do) but I won't argue with the results.
You just have to play the right support champs. Look at Ghost.

Can't win a game on Karma :^).
113f97117d423c215cb605ea98804518.png

Won't lose on Sona.
bb0ea9ccc0eacc10ca65c9eca3e2cb02.png

gg
Okay so an ad assassin or bruiser with Maw versus any mage with Zhonyas. Who wins that fight every single time by a huge margin?

Yeah.
Probably the mage lol. You should see what happens when a Zed tries to ult a Zhonya's Ori.

zkylon

zkylewd
the 1v1 zhonyas vs maw scenario is dumb anyways cos that's not how the game works

if zed ults u and you zhonyas as ori you're gonna be 100% on top but that was also a misplay by zed to begin with so it's weird that it's even brought up. it's a 4000~g into the game fight that is probably happening long after that lane has been decided

the more fair comparison would be seekers lvl 6 ori vs hexdrinker lvl 6 zed, and that time it's 100% in zed's favor, in that you can't kill him but he can kill you, and that's the bigger issue with the item. later on it's just frustrating cos you're constantly oom, or if you bought lost chapter and delayed zhonyas you're just behind in pace because you've spent a ton of your money on laning stuff while zed is free to roam and snowball off other lanes

items shouldn't be 1:1 because that's not interesting, but hexdrinker/maw being such a stat checky item is a big problem with it, which is why rito is thankfully taking it away from assassins

zhonyas deserves some changes also, tho i think its current iteration is the best there's ever been

It's nothing to do with ranks of team mates. I wouldn't mind if I was also earning the same amount, Like +20 and -20, but it's bullshit when I'm getting +14 compared to -20 or -23.
that's just ur rank being higher than ur mmr

it's not bullshit, system just realized u barely play so it lowered ur mmr accordingly

Ugh why isn't Riot buffing Kalista.
i think they're probably trying to figure out the best way to do so

she's like azir in that "good at everything" issue that makes her really hard to balance

much like azir i think the sad, but good way of balancing her would be to strip stuff out until there's a more clear identity of where she fits in the adc space

i do like the idea of her being the "competitive play adc" in that she has a lot of abilities that are specially good in competitive, like objective control through higher than smite rend dmg, her vision through ghosts and her playmaking enabling ability through her ult

the passive is also a really cool unique thing about her but idk how it fits with the above since that high mobility solo carry vayne stuff is more of a solo q kind of thing

she's weird, i really have few ideas how i'd meaningfully balance her, although who knows, maybe the issue is never addressed and with a few general buffs she ends up in a similar place to thresh in that he's always not bad but he's never the best

Seeker's into Zhonya's, an AP armour item with one of the most powerful actives in the game?
this is the correct answer, but for the sake of discussion, zhonyas and maw are almost nothing alike because of the context of the classes that use em

big reason why maw is the worst while zhonyas isn't is cos maw is an offensive item that makes u essentially invincible (for only 1300g and then it's just gravy on top), while zhonyas is a really expensive defensive item that puts u on the back foot for most of the early-mid game because of its lack of regen which is essential to the mage class, while also just taking into effect by the time that lanes can be already decided. at level 6 enemy zed already has hexdrinker and will survive syndra burst, while syndra with a seekers will get 100-0 by zed ezpz. also by the time zhonyas is done zed can really easily push syndra to turret and roam while she'll run out of mana clearing waves

zhonyas also has its issues, but it's an item that actually has tradeoffs and weaknesses, it punishes u for opting for the safe choice while taking time to ramp up through seekers passive and general price, letting the lane play out through gameplay rather than stats. it's also an active which means it can be mindgamed and misplayed, and it's got a higher cooldown that means that it can actually be on cd before enemy ult comes back. 90s cd on maw means ITS ALWAYS FUCKING UP. and finally zhonyas also has some fun interactions with champions (twisted fate, lissandra, nu ryze) and gameplay styles while maw is just a stupid bundle of stats

maw/hexdrinker is a really frustrating item i dislike a lot

this is flat out wrong, zhonyas is a good item on many champions, it's just a bad rush compared to how good hexdrinker is

i regularly buy it on ori, syndra, viktor, taliyah, cassi, ryze, lizzy, etc.

i only try to avoid it on lux cos with lux i can get away with not buying it if i'm having good positioning (although i'll buy it if i have to)

Kenai

You just have to play the right support champs. Look at Ghost.

Can't win a game on Karma :^).
113f97117d423c215cb605ea98804518.png

Won't lose on Sona.
bb0ea9ccc0eacc10ca65c9eca3e2cb02.png

gg

I actually have a decent winrate on Sona, but I hate playing Sona almost as much as I hate playing Janna. Morg has been by go to for a bit (decent winrate on her too) but she had been banned or first picked a ton lately (I don't really get why) and she gets outscaled by the healer supports later on. My last Morg game i got stuck firstpick Morg and ended up being our sole "initiate" with Q versus an enemy "front line"of Riven, Gragas, and Vayne with a Nami and Syndra behind them . I almost drowned in my own tears.

Meanwhile I sold my soul to some dark god and buy Yasuo and go 7/2 by 20 min in barely knowing what i am doing and win a game going 20/8 and lose a second game going 16/10 (seriously don't understand how people can go 1/13 or whatever like i usually get for a teammate? How???)

I just play random mid champs i know how to play (usually). Totally forgot how easy it can be to snowball mid, or snowball off a double kill bot. I did discover I still hate playing toplane though (f*ck Gnar and f*ck a good Fiora).

yeah, I don't think anyone is arguing that current Maw is a strong item with few downsides (which is why it's like losing armour penetration cos holy shit why does it have armour penetration) but to act like there's nothing AP champs can do against AD champs and that Zhonya's is a crappy item is crazy

and as someone already pointed out holy shit Lost Chapter is so good you can just stop there and go straight to Zhonya's against an AD champ

seriously 900 gold for Lost Chapter is an insane power spike. I love going Tear into Morello's on Ryze because it's so good.

the mage with zhonyas will win 100% every time with even items lol. in what elo does a guy with 2 seconds of invincibility lose a 1v1.

lol wtf, How is Zhonyas gonna help you in a 1v1 vs Kha'zix or Jayce or Lee etc. All it does is delays your death a bit. Maw gives armor pen to counter the armor from Zhonyas + a 340 dmg shield on top of the mr AND bonus lifesteal. Are you really kidding me right now?

idk if ur deliberately trying to be thick or not but u may or may not have noticed that zhonyas gives you 10% cdr, 45 armor and 70 ap. u know, stats that are good for dueling?

zkylon

zkylewd
seekers->zhonyas is super duper good against jayce, the other two champions are so out of meta idk why you're troubling yourself with em

seriously 900 gold for Lost Chapter is an insane power spike. I love going Tear into Morello's on Ryze because it's so good.
"insane power spike" is a weird choice of words

it's just a really strong "enabler" item, gives u everything you need for laning, but it's not like it doesn't really do that much else compared to, like, a much better power spike for laning that'd be like double dorans+fiendish codex, which is more expensive but also a good push for "imma kill u at 6"

lost chapter is great, but let's be accurate with what it does

for Ryze it's pretty big considering how mana reliant you are and that he scales off mana. Having the extra mana sustain allows you to put out so much more pressure in lane and go for kills. Tear + Lost Chapter is so nice.

Kenai

Hourglass has great syngery with a lot of ults too (Morg, Swain, Kennen and Annie initiates just off the top of my head), and is really good later on when you get targeted in a teamfight like you are likely to do if hourglass is part of your build. Even if you die after that little bit of stall time or ult juking is pretty ace.

idk if ur deliberately trying to be thick or not but u may or may not have noticed that zhonyas gives you 10% cdr, 45 armor and 70 ap. u know, stats that are good for dueling?

You make it really obvious that you don't play mages or lane vs them very often.

Anyway, nice to hear that Riot apparently agrees with me and is looking into the item.

zkylon

zkylewd
for Ryze it's pretty big considering how mana reliant you are and that he scales off mana. Having the extra mana sustain allows you to put out so much more pressure in lane and go for kills. Tear + Lost Chapter is so nice.
yeah actually i was thinking earlier today of trying that build for ryze since i feel like tear into roa doesn't fit my playstyle too much

i'm still not sure if it's a good idea since it's kind of the weakest laning build ever, but the powerspike when u finish up morellos should be pretty cray

Newt

Btw guys, some useful tips on reddit for solo q.

League of Legends isn't rocket science, just ask the dropouts in challenger. Here are a few very simple tips to help win more matches.
1) STOP GETTING CAUGHT OUT. Whether it's to place an early game ward to know where the jungle is, or it's to sweep that ward at 40 minutes in baron pit, if there is a chance the enemy can collapse on you IT IS NOT WORTH IT. Getting caught out in the early game can mean the lee sin snowball commences whereas getting caught in the late game quite simply equates to a loss. Always consider where the enemy team is whenever you're doing something risky with vision.
2) IF BEHIND REALISE YOU ARE NOT THE CARRY. If you find yourself 0/3 early on with renekton, don't continue that full AD glass cannon build, build tank instead. Same goes with junglers, if you are being heavily outjungled, focus more on vision and utility (sightstone, trackers knife, etc). Your job when behind is to be as light as possible to your teammates.
3) WHEN YOU ARE EVEN IN LANE AND YOUR TEAM IS AHEAD, DON'T MAKE RISKY PLAYS. Similar to the point above, if your team is doing work whilst you are farming peacefully down botlane, there is no need to go for an all in. Even though you are not behind, the reward of winning the all in minimal as you will probably win the game anyway, against the chance you lose in which case now the opposition has a point of strength.
4) PLAY CHAMPS YOU PLAY. Very very simple stuff, too many times are games lost because of the first time zed/vayne/yasuo. If you don't get your preferred role, play a braindead champ with low skillcap and let your team carry.
5) ASK FOR YOUR PREFERRED ROLE. It doesn't take a genius to figure 5 people on their mains will beat a team with only 2 on their main role. More often than not, if you ask, you will end up getting your preferred role (depends of course how nicely you ask- mid or feed just doesn't cut it anymore.)
6) FOCUS ON YOUR OWN GAME. Saying to your jungler that your lane is gankable is fine, however spam pinging question marks for why he isn't ganking isn't. Chances are, he has a better idea of what the situation is in regards to the rest of the map then you. Plus, you may end up forcing your teammates to do something they are uncomfortable/ unfamiliar with. As a TF main, as soon as I hear my team saying "GG TF HASN'T LEVELLED UP ULT" its an instant giveaway that I've drawn the short straw MMR wise.
7) BACK YOURSELF. If your jungler is going on a suicide mission 1v5 in the enemy jungle, don't get baited and die with him, trust your instincts that its a bad call and move on. Even if the play ends up working and the jungler says "lol i know what I'm doing," following a bad call will reinforce bad habits and hurt you in the long run, don't be tempted by the good results following low percentage plays.
8) DON'T FLAME. Simple stuff. Flaming/ spam pinging question mark/ pointing out mistakes MAKES YOUR TEAM PLAY WORSE. Honestly, if your lux is going 0/10 mid, what does the "your trash kid, kys" add? Just leave it, move onto the next game.
9) IGNORE THE FLAME. Conversely, if you are jungling with your 0/5 Olaf spamming "GG JG SUCKS DICK," mute him. Don't go down to his level by engaging in a flame contest, let the 10 year old be and move on trying to win the game.
That pretty much covers my massive loss streak as of late, thanks for reading if you got down here and feel free to add more advice.
I tried number 8 and won like 11 games in a row. Every single one of these tips is useful though.

yeah actually i was thinking earlier today of trying that build for ryze since i feel like tear into roa doesn't fit my playstyle too much

i'm still not sure if it's a good idea since it's kind of the weakest laning build ever, but the powerspike when u finish up morellos should be pretty cray

Tear + RoA is pretty trash. Too long to scale. Maybe you can get away with it in pro games but ehhh...

Tear -> Morello's -> Rylai's -> Seraph's -> Void -> Zhonya's is really nice. Can substitute the last two as needed, and I generally like to run Swiftness boots and Stormraider's Surge to become a chase monster. Thunderlord's if I think i have kill pressure in lane or I'm against a melee matchup cos I want to abuse them. Damn that champion is so much fun to play.

zkylon

zkylewd
yeah that's basically what i was planning on doing

that build also opens up boots for something that's not cdr boots, so yea, swiffies

also yea, it took rito a billion tries, but they have finally made a good ryze

Top Bottom