• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT12| No more Lyte, just darkness.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I've already paid for a name change to an Ivern pun though.

well don't just leave us hanging!

ughhh this game had it all

K7AHww3.jpg

i literally did nothing but farm 2 lanes while yasuo was afk for 20 minutes and swain was constantly dcing and we had two inhibs down and then we ran it down mid and blew up the other team with vayne

zkylon

zkylewd
I think if you were paying attention to most of our communications in recent months you'll see that we had realised we were wrong on replays and sandbox, and said we would do them but couldn't commit to a particular time frame. Now that they're nearing completion, and crucially the updated client is approaching open beta (important since these features are enabled by having a better client) it makes sense for us to now say that we will be releasing features. We've also announced features multiple times before that haven't come out (e.g. original replays and magma chamber) and had to backtrack on them, so it makes sense to commit when we are sure they will release

not sure what's so hard to understand.
had a bit of a rant on how sandbox/replays "couldn't be done without the new client" is kind of bullshit but i think that's besides the point so imma just skip that part of my post. i just briefly mention it cos honestly that's what i think, it feels like an excuse that doesn't hold ground to me

anyways, this was probably the wrong time to bring it up, since i forgot about that time rito said sandbox and replays were not canceled after all (sorry!), but since we're already talking, let's talk some more, as i think me forgetting about it is not entirely on me being a goof

honestly i think asking me to "pay attention" to riot's messaging is kind of unfair considering there's a wealth of it and a lot of it is not great. this very week we've had that dev post about plants, a pretty massive addition to the game, and that was really unclear and confusing and had meddler doing really long and detailed posts on reddit, trying to calm ppl down cos no one understood wtf they were about and how they fit the game lol

and in a year in which rito has backtracked on three major features that were declared dead (solo q, sandbox and replays (no link but i know for a fact they were considered dead)), it's not unreasonable to say maybe it is actually pretty kind of hard to understand/follow?

like it's cool that riot's able and willing to backtrack when they screwed up, but you can't really deny that all the backtracking this year has been really frustrating

i'll 100% grant u it was the wrong time to bring this up since they had already talked about sandbox mode being back a few months ago tho

Yeah, really not getting the confusion or how it's a bad look.

Riot has a history of saying things way too early and then everyone holds it against them (rightfully so). I'm sure they've been working on sandbox for years, but not until very recently has the actual implementation been a realistic goal. Sometimes you have projects and ideas that get to 80% completion only for them to fail in that final 20%.

It's just a weird complaint. You're asking for them to be transparent, but I'm sure you'd be upset if they promised features and didn't deliver. Would you rather they say 6 months ago 'we're working on sandbox!' only to have it fail two months later?
i'd like them to:
- be more open to community discussion instead of reacting to community backlash
- be more transparent in general, if they have a planned date for something just announce it, even if it gets delayed and it's painful for players it's still better than being in the dark
- having a stronger, more sensible vision of what the game's supposed to be, instead of changing their mind all the time (changing ur mind isn't bad, being wrong in the first place is)
- improve their communication by talking more specifics instead of mostly "values" and "ideasls". there's room for that too, but the conversation should be more grounded

also i'm cool with them saying a feature is coming to the game and then it being cut because the feature was not good. i'm also more than willing to cut riot some slack and hey if it gets delayed such is the nature of game deving. if a feature gets cut cos rito failed to implement it then i think it's fair to be upset cos u know, rito screwed up, but rito has enough talented engineers and designers that i doubt this is as much of a problem

and i mean that'd suck, but it's not like the way thing riot does things right now is perfect

You tell me.

He's a trash writer. Wrote the failures that are battleborn/duke nukem forever. His 'Greatest' character, Tiny Tina, is a grating, walking trope spitter.

His better half is Ashley Burch, his sister,(Not to be confused with his ex wife who is also named Ashley) but she's actually off doing funnier things and being successful.
giantbomb wiki says he only wrote a trailer for duke nukem forever and he left gearbox on january 2015, way before battleborn

wtf u talking about lol

also i played a few hours of boredlands 2, and while i think the game's crap, the writing was actually kind of funny

had a bit of a rant on how sandbox/replays "couldn't be done without the new client" is kind of bullshit but i think that's besides the point so imma just skip that part of my post. i just briefly mention it cos honestly that's what i think, it feels like an excuse that doesn't hold ground to me

anyways, this was probably the wrong time to bring it up, since i forgot about that time rito said sandbox and replays were not canceled after all (sorry!), but since we're already talking, let's talk some more, as i think me forgetting about it is not entirely on me being a goof

honestly i think asking me to "pay attention" to riot's messaging is kind of unfair considering there's a wealth of it and a lot of it is not great. this very week we've had that dev post about plants, a pretty massive addition to the game, and that was really unclear and confusing and had meddler doing really long and detailed posts on reddit, trying to calm ppl down cos no one understood wtf they were about and how they fit the game lol

and in a year in which rito has backtracked on three major features that were declared dead (solo q, sandbox and replays (no link but i know for a fact they were considered dead)), it's not unreasonable to say maybe it is actually pretty kind of hard to understand/follow?

like it's cool that riot's able and willing to backtrack when they screwed up, but you can't really deny that all the backtracking this year has been really frustrating

i'll 100% grant u it was the wrong time to bring this up since they had already talked about sandbox mode being back a few months ago tho

While Practice Tool could potentially have been implemented in the current client (replays would have been a no go) the improvement in technology is just one aspect of why these features are better suited to releasing when the updated client releases. Other reasons include engineering resources (as we get closer to finished more resources free up allowing new stuff to get made) and the other being redundancy (why develop for two clients when you can just develop for one that everyone will be on soon?) so it's definitely a consideration.

Our communication is not always good, plants being a good example though I still think some of that is just people shitting on a new system that they haven't played yet because it's new (and the whole rhetoric that all League designers are silver and they don't know anything about the game is fucking bullshit btw) but in general we're pretty communicative on this stuff.

Not sure why backtracking is frustrating. It's a natural thing in game design. You consider a feature to be lower in value or not feasible for the current moment of the game's development, you get lots of feedback that disagrees with that, so you pivot and work on it. It happens in game design everywhere. For this season the team just made a concerted effort to deliver on a lot of those much requested features since clearly people wanted them so much.

i'd like them to:
- be more open to community discussion instead of reacting to community backlash
- be more transparent in general, if they have a planned date for something just announce it, even if it gets delayed and it's painful for players it's still better than being in the dark
- having a stronger, more sensible vision of what the game's supposed to be, instead of changing their mind all the time (changing ur mind isn't bad, being wrong in the first place is)
- improve their communication by talking more specifics instead of mostly "values" and "ideasls". there's room for that too, but the conversation should be more grounded

also i'm cool with them saying a feature is coming to the game and then it being cut because the feature was not good. i'm also more than willing to cut riot some slack and hey if it gets delayed such is the nature of game deving. if a feature gets cut cos rito failed to implement it then i think it's fair to be upset cos u know, rito screwed up, but rito has enough talented engineers and designers that i doubt this is as much of a problem

and i mean that'd suck, but it's not like the way thing riot does things right now is perfect

You're approaching this somewhat from the point of view of a rational human being. Unfortunately the vocal majority is rarely ever so, and looking at how players have reacted to things we announced and cancelled in the past has shown us that people don't want that to happen. It's a difficult back and forth where you try to be more transparent and people want transparency, but when you do so and it doesn't work out you take a lot of flack for it.

Also not all of this is as set in stone as you think it is. Announcing dates is bad, because people react poorly when something misses that. If we announce practice tool for early preseason and something breaks or there's a security issue or whatever and it has to be pushed back, the reaction would be silly. Instead we'll work on it, tell you we're doing so (which is what we did today) and then when we are ready to release it we will.

Like I understand where you're coming from on some of this, but honestly think you're off base with a lot of it too. Communicating stuff is hard, no matter what you do people will give you shit for it and sometimes you have to do things certain ways. There's also value in talking about preseason and new season features at the start of the season, instead of doing so as soon as they go into development.

But overall we usually do say when we have changed our mind on things. For example we have said multiple times now that we want to do voice chat (though voice is something we never really closed the door on) but it's not in active development. So people shouldn't be surprised if/when we eventually do voice chat

zkylon

zkylewd
btw i'm totally on board with rito adding replays and sandbox mode, obviously

the game is gonna feel a whole lot more 'complete' with those things along the new client, kind of like a league 2.0 or something lol

Got into the alpha client, client doesnt shows if my friend are playing ranked or normals
well it's not finished

it's less "it can't be done without the new client" and probably more "we aren't gonna build a new feature for a client that will be retired soon."
While Practice Tool could potentially have been implemented in the current client (replays would have been a no go) the improvement in technology is just one aspect of why these features are better suited to releasing when the updated client releases. Other reasons include engineering resources (as we get closer to finished more resources free up allowing new stuff to get made) and the other being redundancy (why develop for two clients when you can just develop for one that everyone will be on soon?) so it's definitely a consideration.
i don't want to talk about specifics cos i think it's boring technical stuff that doesn't make good conversation, but none of these points convince me vs what i know from game development from experience and a few other reasons. they'd be valid points in other scenarios, but in this one in particular i don't think they hold up

i think the most valid reasoning here is what costy says later, timing just makes more sense during preseason when rito can be as disruptive as they want, as well as them prioritizing some other stuff higher. i don't really know why sandbox or replays should be tied to preseason, but that's neither here nor there i guess

Our communication is not always good, plants being a good example though I still think some of that is just people shitting on a new system that they haven't played yet because it's new (and the whole rhetoric that all League designers are silver and they don't know anything about the game is fucking bullshit btw) but in general we're pretty communicative on this stuff.

Not sure why backtracking is frustrating. It's a natural thing in game design. You consider a feature to be lower in value or not feasible for the current moment of the game's development, you get lots of feedback that disagrees with that, so you pivot and work on it. It happens in game design everywhere. For this season the team just made a concerted effort to deliver on a lot of those much requested features since clearly people wanted them so much.
it's frustrating because like i said, it feels like a reaction rather than a conversation

rito doesn't say they're evaluating replays, they just one day declare them unnecessary regardless of community backlash, only to 6 or 12 or whatever months later say "sorry we dun goofed"

it doesn't feel like natural game design iterative process, it feels like riot being stubborn about something and then a bunch of months later realized that oh wait replays are a really basic feature every competitive game since the dawn of time has had. it's frustrating because we're told this is 100% dead and then it just isn't, it doesn't feel like riot is taking our feedback, it feels like they do things whenever they want to

You're approaching this somewhat from the point of view of a rational human being. Unfortunately the vocal majority is rarely ever so, and looking at how players have reacted to things we announced and cancelled in the past has shown us that people don't want that to happen. It's a difficult back and forth where you try to be more transparent and people want transparency, but when you do so and it doesn't work out you take a lot of flack for it.
ehhh i don't think announcing magma chamber counts as transparency

transparency would've been to talk about the issues with magma chamber during development and actually engage the community on why that feature had to be cut, instead of radio silence and then a dev blog saying oh btw it's dead (btw the real content of that dev post was really good)

(using magma chamber as an example since it's one of the few features i can think rito actually cancelled)

i actually kind of liked what riot tried to do things with dynamic queue development, regularly trying to update players with graphs and numbers and shit, addressing pain points, bringing in scarra to say mean things at pwyff, implementing new features, etc. i would say dynamic q atm is pretty awesome, good matchmaking, i regularly get mid even when just duo-qing, pretty acceptable q times even on my server, it took a while but it was a huge change and idk, it kind of worked.

ofc u can't detach it from promising solo q would be back, then not talking much about it, then saying it's 100% dead, now bringing it back, but i do think there was an effort to keep players in the loop, even if they totally fucked up about promising solo q

and like, transparency in dyn q did fall on deaf ears because it was a whole lot of explaining for a system less ppl had asked for than riot guessed, but i do really enjoy that commitment to inform players on why decisions are being made on a more regular basis than just after the fact. it feels like a conversation and like progress and i think it's easy to see that riot did really try everything they could to make dynamic queue a success

and i'm kind of bummed out that they overnight decided dyn q should be secondary to solo q after a year of being given stats saying more ppl than ever were playing ranked, that the winrates between premades and solos was fair, etc. all that transparency but then a decision is made that ignores all we've been told

i do understand that these decisions are not made on a whim but i just dislike how arbitrary this stuff feels

and like u can give me reasons all day but in the end i'm just saying how it feels as a player, and i'm not raging on reddit or anything like that, my timing is super off but i think this just reminded me that i'm a bit disappointed at how riot had many opportunities to improve their communication and hasn't done that much progress

well afaik he wasn't the lead writer and he left a while before release

for all we know he wrote some tips and some combat barks or whatever

i think it's kind of dramatic to go crazy

we don't know if this dude is even gonna write for league lol

Newt

What do you mean, they're implementing both solo q and dyn q. Of course, there is a chance dyn q (flex q) would be too low population and die.

Oh, Riot already delivering the pick'em icons?

I thought something was bugged when I got 3 times a "You have earned a mystery gift from Riot Games - Summoner Icon" (2 pick'em + star guardian icon)

I agree that Zkylon that Anthony Burch probably isn't directly responsible for as much of the writing in Battleborne. Whereas he was the lead writer (i'm pretty sure) on Borderlands 2 so you can pin it all on him, he left what seems like partway through production of Battleborne so it probably wasn't all on him.

Was hoping to see more ekko players , ssg first game with him against c9 he was 6 and 1.

Hes op in the hands of high skilled team players but in solo que he has a 47 percent win rate.

Talents

Banned
I actually think that trick to get rid of Autofill works. Since I started doing it I haven't got autofilled once. Feels pretty gud.

I'm such a quitter. I played my first ranked game in forever and it was going horribly. I was Ryze mid against Varus and getting wrecked and our bot lane was Lucian/Brand and they fed super hard. So finally at the 20 minute mark we go to surrender and everybody except (Presumably) Riven and Brand vote yes, because Riven was like 9/1 and I guess Brand didn't want to quit.

Sure enough we go into mid/late game and their team can't team fight for the life of them. I went from doing somewhat badly in the mid lane to ending at 13/3/8 and the rest of the team stomped as well. I have to assume it was some kind of comp issue on the other teams end which I was surprised at since I didn't think our Brand support was very conventional.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I'm such a quitter. I played my first ranked game in forever and it was going horribly. I was Ryze mid against Varus and getting wrecked and our bot lane was Lucian/Brand and they fed super hard. So finally at the 20 minute mark we go to surrender and everybody except (Presumably) Riven and Brand vote yes, because Riven was like 9/1 and I guess Brand didn't want to quit.

Sure enough we go into mid/late game and their team can't team fight for the life of them. I went from doing somewhat badly in the mid lane to ending at 13/3/8 and the rest of the team stomped as well. I have to assume it was some kind of comp issue on the other teams end which I was surprised at since I didn't think our Brand support was very conventional.

brand is an offbeat support you'll see from disgruntled people who didn't want to support but begrudgingly chose so they wouldn't have to wait 30 minutes to get their role while still being able to carrylord

Reivaxe

I wanna get the Halloween bundle when it's out cause I FEEL like ugly ass Morg is gonna get a full on visual update at some point and I like that skin which will be legacy I think ...

But I don't own her and I don't really know if I wanna own Teemo to make the bundle cheaper.

Probs will just get Her and Trist's skin and sit on them. Not in a mad rush for SG skins, they're not legacy or anything.

Might play a bit today, need some chill time in normal.

Talents

Banned
Ok I'm legit serious something is wrong with my account. This LP gain is not natural, losing -23 now where as the other day I was losing -20. What?

Ok I'm legit serious something is wrong with my account. This LP gain is not natural, losing -23 now where as the other day I was losing -20. What?

Aren't LP gains are relative to everyone else? It might be that, since the season is ending in a month, lots of good players are now grinding and they are shifting everyone else downward.

Talents

Banned
It's nothing to do with ranks of team mates. I wouldn't mind if I was also earning the same amount, Like +20 and -20, but it's bullshit when I'm getting +14 compared to -20 or -23.

Nekofrog

Banned
newt and i got matched against each other in that last game. newt didn't even need to throw for me because their jungler kept doing bad things so i got carried to a free win.

It's nothing to do with ranks of team mates. I wouldn't mind if I was also earning the same amount, Like +20 and -20, but it's bullshit when I'm getting +14 compared to -20 or -23.
You're winning low amounts because your MMR is low for where you are.

MMR gains/losses are not static, you won't always win/lose the exact same number no matter how you're doing overall.

Top Bottom