• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT12| No more Lyte, just darkness.

Literally says at the end of the video one of the guys is working on new games at Riot.

But will it be on console? That's the real question.

zkylon

zkylewd
honestly what i would like most is something that lets me explore the league universe, see bilgewater and ionia and shit and learn more about its ppl and customs and all that

i don't want to play as lux but would like to meet her and hang out with her and do quests and shit

something like a skyrim with better world building and combat/navigation

like while this sounds awfully like a mmo i feel like rito should make someone that compliments league, not replaces it, so i wouldn't want to like have to divide my time or anything

zkylon

zkylewd
another option i would really like involving league characters would be something like marvel ultimate alliance, just some silly dungeon crawling action featuring your favorite league characters

Hubb

I have no trust in Riot's lore department, so anything that relies on that is a no go for me. Count me in for the fighting game
or dating sim

Poppy's new lore is great.

I'm still waiting for Ahri's new lore since the current one still makes reference to the Institute of War and the League of Legends that no longer exist.

That remainds me, yesterday in one of my recurrent disconects (for some reason my Internet goes "limited" every 25-35 minutes for like 2-3 seconds, enough to briefly disconnect me from the game).

"A summoner has disconnected"
"... but current lore said there aren't summoners"

Poppy's new lore is great.

I'm still waiting for Ahri's new lore since the current one still makes reference to the Institute of War and the League of Legends that no longer exist.

That remainds me, yesterday in one of my recurrent disconects (for some reason my Internet goes "limited" every 25-35 minutes for like 2-3 seconds, enough to briefly disconnect me from the game).

"A summoner has disconnected"
"... but current lore said there aren't summoners"

Wait

Then why the hell do they fight on a battlefield over and over again. Sometimes against themselves.

Even DotA handwaved it with 'Oh these immortal ancients called a bunch of heroes from different realities to wage war amongst themselves'.

zkylon

zkylewd
speaking of lore, i liked the part where leblanc murders j4 in her new champion spotlight

I have no trust in Riot's lore department, so anything that relies on that is a no go for me. Count me in for the fighting game
or dating sim

why

story stuff lately has all been good shit

shurima, bilgewater, bilgewater #2 and (sort of) targon has all been pretty great

Wait

Then why the hell do they fight on a battlefield over and over again. Sometimes against themselves.

Even DotA handwaved it with 'Oh these immortal ancients called a bunch of heroes from different realities to wage war amongst themselves'.
they fight cos it's a videogame

just like overwatch where tracer murders winston over and over again

the story happens outside of the game where it's most interesting

speaking of lore, i liked the part where leblanc murders j4 in her new champion spotlight

they fight cos it's a videogame

just like overwatch where tracer murders winston over and over again

the story happens outside of the game where it's most interesting

no see in overwatch they are doing missions because they're hired by contractors. duh

Yeah, I think the focus has been on building the world, creating memorable characters that have a place in the world, and less bout coming up with some shoehorned reason as to why they fight.

Hubb

why

story stuff lately has all been good shit

shurima, bilgewater, bilgewater #2 and (sort of) targon has all been pretty great

It has all been hit or miss for me, and Riot has shown they are more than happy to retcon stuff at a whim. It isn't a priority for them and it shows. Doesn't mean I don't think they could do something good, just means I have no confidence they will and then stick with it.

zkylon

zkylewd
It has all been hit or miss for me, and Riot has shown they are more than happy to retcon stuff at a whim. It isn't a priority for them and it shows. Doesn't mean I don't think they could do something good, just means I have no confidence they will and then stick with it.
???

what did they retcon at a whim?

and like it never was and never will be a priority, but it's been given much more time and effort than ever and it's really good

only thing they're missing is actual lore videos and more comics and shit

like pictures

Hubb

???

and like it never was and never will be a priority, but it's been given much more time and effort than ever and it's really good

Well I'd say wiping out the old lore and basically starting over is a retcon, completely changing champion's lore, trying to tie items into the game and then scrapping that, and maybe we can argue over whether it was really done on a whim or not. I wouldn't want a game by them where I get to explore that lore though, because I am not convinced they could deliver. I am more than willing to be proven wrong though.

Are the events nice? I liked some, others the lore was whatever. I don't believe the lore is anything more than a way to push events at this point. I don't believe they have any solid road plan for the lore or trying to do some kind of story. Which is fine, but I am not expecting to get anything worthwhile out of it.

TheFlow

Banned
Barely hanging in silver 1 is definitely tougher for some reason.

If I drop down to silver 2 I am going to call it a season. Even when I do well with my adc I can't dictate how another lane goes. Junglers really seem to be the deciding factor next to a good adc

It would suck to be silver again 4 seasons in a row but I am not giving up till monday

zkylon

zkylewd
i feel like wiping out lore that didn't make any sense and was crippling creativity was a good choice

the summoner stuff was dumb cos every story had to end with a "... and that's why they decided to join the league of legends"

half of the champions dedicated less of a sentence to explain why they joined the league or why they're trapped in summoner's rift or whatever, and it was never explored further and it never led to anywhere, their stories always just ended

like i don't think sona's lore is any worse now and i think they could just retcon her into something more interesting, but it's never on a whim or without a proper reason to

to old lore was so dumbbbb

Hubb

like i don't think sona's lore is any worse now and i think they could just retcon her into something more interesting, but it's never on a whim or without a proper reason to

We can disagree on whether it was a "proper" reason, or not. Yeah most of the old lore was dumb, a lot of the new lore is dumb too. But none of this changes what I initially said. I have no confidence in Riot's current lore team to do anything outside of these little events 2-4x a year. Certainly not enough to warrant a game where I explored that lore.

They haven't shown they have any long term plans for the lore, in fact they have shown the exactly opposite. Hard to get excited for something they don't seem to care about.

Are some of the events nice? Yeah, do they make me care about the world of LoL? No. I like League, I like a lot of the champions (in terms of play style/aesthetics, not story), hell I even liked the stupid cheesy fan made YT animation thing that went on for a bit (or is it still going, no idea). It has been a long time since I cared about the world or lack thereof.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I gave up first blood and could not farm at all but somehow the S+ was still there for me at the end.
3OOt5tg.jpg

zer0das

Banned
???

only thing they're missing is actual lore videos and more comics and shit

like pictures

Trundle! Old Trundle best Trundle. New one has clever every other sentence.

We can disagree on whether it was a "proper" reason, or not. Yeah most of the old lore was dumb, a lot of the new lore is dumb too. But none of this changes what I initially said. I have no confidence in Riot's current lore team to do anything outside of these little events 2-4x a year. Certainly not enough to warrant a game where I explored that lore.

They haven't shown they have any long term plans for the lore, in fact they have shown the exactly opposite. Hard to get excited for something they don't seem to care about.

Are some of the events nice? Yeah, do they make me care about the world of LoL? No. I like League, I like a lot of the champions (in terms of play style/aesthetics, not story), hell I even liked the stupid cheesy fan made YT animation thing that went on for a bit (or is it still going, no idea). It has been a long time since I cared about the world or lack thereof.

In comparison, Overwatch lores is ace. Dunno why. Maybe it's because the environments tell so much story, or that the characters are legit interesting and diverse taht you want to dive into their lore.

And to be fair to League, DotAs lore sucks too.

zkylon

zkylewd

i don't really understand why, the events have shown they can build ongoing storylines with both shurima and bilgewater and these stories actually have like implications for the world of league in general and character relationships

there's also all that stuff going underground with the watchers that i bet could have some awesome payoff if done right

i don't know where you get the impression riot doesn't have any long terms plans for the lore or don't know what they're doing or just do things on a whim or don't care or whatever

also idk what you mean with like "little events" 2-4 times a year, how often do you want your story content?

it's not like naruto that has like an episode every week

i don't really understand why, the events have shown they can build ongoing storylines with both shurima and bilgewater and these stories actually have like implications for the world of league in general and character relationships

there's also all that stuff going underground with the watchers that i bet could have some awesome payoff if done right

i don't know where you get the impression riot doesn't have any long terms plans for the lore or don't know what they're doing or just do things on a whim or don't care or whatever

also idk what you mean with like "little events" 2-4 times a year, how often do you want your story content?

it's not like naruto that has like an episode every week

about that

back when naruto was in publication, they would release chapters every week

killatopak

Gold Member
In comparison, Overwatch lores is ace. Dunno why. Maybe it's because the environments tell so much story, or that the characters are legit interesting and diverse taht you want to dive into their lore.

And to be fair to League, DotAs lore sucks too.

dota lore is largely based on warcraft lore and even some diablo at least the og dota was. No idea about dota 2 if they changed the lore. iirc they just changed some of their names and titles.

zkylon

zkylewd
i think the biggest thing overwatch does way better than league is video content

the video content in overwatch stands on its own, tells a story, looks AMAZING and is just generally really fun

the story in overwatch is nothing incredible but its characters are all well likeable and the whole game has an innocence and a freshness to it that i find really appealing. and it feels effortless, and it's delivered so well because it's never just doing one thing, every (or almost every) piece of content they produce shows you different characters and places and situations, they're really fucking good at drawing you a picture of the world

in comparison, league's video and comic stuff feels like an ad. it's always like a really short inconsequential scene about that one new champion looking cool and then it's kind of over.

like the taric comic is obviously very well produced but it's so lacking in personality and like, it feels like it doesn't really matter. it's not telling you anything about demacia, targon, mount targon, taric or anyone else, it's cool that he like removes his old armor as a metaphore of getting a rework but like, in the end it's just like "hey check out how cool new taric looks" and nothing more. you can read what taric did to get himself in this situation but it's not that interesting and idk isn't that comic just really pointless?

ana got a 2 minute origin story video that's like just voice over mostly static images, but it tells a fuller story and at least it involves more than one character and idk, i just like having a lot of pictures and music and vo as part of the story, i don't think that's so much to ask

and like i think the story and writing in overwatch is a lot weaker than league's, i think the writing in those new league short stories and big ass events is really great, i just wish the delivery wasn't always just like "hey go read this book". i really like reading this stuff and i have like the inven bio and the shadow isles tabs open for like 2 months cos i want to know about them but i never really feel like committing the time to reading them

like they're good but they're not THAT good, and it's just new bios so i'm not that crazy about it

i really hope the next "a new dawn" isn't some stupid no stakes random fight between random champions, because that's an ad, that's not story or lore or anything awesome for the ppl that care about it, that's just a marketing thing and that's boring

Just lost my series with one of the most toxic Ezreal I have met in my 3.8 years playing League, and he also was pretty bad. Reported him, and got the "a player you have reported has been punished" pretty sure it was him. No platinum rewards for you Ezreal. (The Worst 1, fitting summoner name)

TO REDDIT

Next video is going to be called "Happiness", with Team Lulu vs Team Amumu. Comfirmed.

The only lore I will accept

Is the one where Swain captures Shyvana and then drains her dragon force in order to become Dragon Master Swain

Then you can release two skins

One where Shyvana is brainwashed and her dragon form looks messed up

And dragon master swain

And then the stupid Dragon Trainers have to stop Dragon Master Swain. But he recruits Wyvern Master Darius and Drake Executioner Draven.

Include Dragon Knight Mordekaiser in there somewhere

See already it's interesting, because the Dragon Trainers have been built up over the last couple years. And Dragon master Swain is like 'no fuck you all'. And Shyvana doing a heel face turn out of her own control is interesting.

So both sides can be compromised of-
DM Swain
Shyvana
Darius
Draven
Mordekaiser

and the stupid dragon trainers
Lulu
DK Jarvan
Tristana
Braum
And whoever else has a dragon trainerish skin. I forget. because they suck.

There done wrap it up hire me Riot.

jerd

Why do people suddenly hate syndra?

Wait maybe I need to stop reading reddit. Riot explicitly said the point of the assassin update was to slow down burst and reddit response to every update spotlight has just been "wtf where's the burst?"

killatopak

Gold Member
hnggggg!

one more win so I can come back to D4. Win or die right now i got 1 win and 1 lose.

Edit: Lost :(

Edit2: Back for another series :)

Why do people suddenly hate syndra?

Wait maybe I need to stop reading reddit. Riot explicitly said the point of the assassin update was to slow down burst and reddit response to every update spotlight has just been "wtf where's the burst?"
To be fair the mage rework made Syndra pretty braindead. 100-0ing someone with just your ult used to need effort.

jerd

I guess I've just never felt like she was that oppressive. I know she's pick/ban in competitive but I def don't mind playing against her or anything I've never really seen her as this unstoppable one shot machine she's being made out to be

Quonny

Make it so her Q puts a debuff on the enemy champion so they take extra damage from her ult and balance around that. That way you can't just whiff a bunch of Q's or use them on the front line then mindlessly use your ult and one shot the adc.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Honestly I report every single asshole I play with this week. They are all coming out of the woodwork and my greatest hope is that they use a slur word so the filter picks it up and autobans them. Fuck those players and I hope they enjoy not getting their rewards.

Top Bottom