• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT12| No more Lyte, just darkness.

Ah shit. Give it to them straight. Let them know what we've all been dying for---

--- a Teemo rework!

It was a survey about the 'civilizations, cultures, and factions' in League.

Yeah uh....it was like a pop quiz. And then they asked me about Zaun and Demacia specifically.

But there was this one question where it was like 'Which of these Civilizations, factions, and cultures do you remember off the top of your head' and I made sure to put in Swains Secret Faction to overthrow Noxus (because he's a tyrant.)

Whenever I get a survey from Riot I make sure to mention Swain

surely they'll see this interest in Swain and release Dragon Master Swain one day

It's been 5 years Riot. 5 loooong years.

zkylon

zkylewd
i think riot learned their lesson not to care about swain and it'll 5 more years before he gets mentioned around the office

Hard

Banned
Since were talking about surveys might as well talk about this one I received about a week ago that I'm filling out right now. I dunno how in depth I'm allowed to go, so stop me if I'm posting too much

- Do you watch a lot of esports
- Have you heard about Riot's college league
- What's your favorite role and lane
- Which roles are most fun to play
- Satisfaction with technical quality of League (new/old champs, client, map, items, etc.)
- Opinion on champ diversity (pressure to follow the meta, pro and soloQ play, mistakes & snowballing)
- Opinion on riot's balance team (Are champs nerfed too much? Is league balanced when played by pro/non-pro players? Do you trust the balance team to listen to feedback and make changes when appropriate? Do they change too much, too quickly?)
- How easy things are to see and understand, (think of during laning and teamfights, where am I, where is the enemy, can I understand why I got CC'ed)
- Opinions on the latest patch
- How fast Riot reacts to gameplay imbalances, is it too fast?
- Other opinions on Riot balance (interior crocodile alligator buffs pls)

I tried to answer as thoughtfully as I could, hopefully they'll take some of it into consideration.

Talents

Banned
The problem with sustain champs like Vlad and Swain, is that when they're strong, they're probably the dumbest champs in the entire game. Sustain champs just seem so so hard to balance correctly.

zkylon

zkylewd
problem is sustain is just never fun to play against or to play as tbh

passive sustain (as in constant sona heals or vlad q or grasp) is not very satisfying and leads to a battle of attrition system that's very passive and unexciting

combat sustain (as in soraka heal+ult) is just very frustrating to play against because it's like an anti-play thing in the same way that tk's w is

tank sustain (ww, swain) is also very much not fun to play against because it's usually coupled with unavoidable targeted dmg and generally those champions are only played when op

so yea, not sure if it's only sustain that's an issue

but it's been historically hard to make into a good mechanic in the game

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
yeah

it feels like sustain champs are either sink or swim, because of how difficult it is to balance their ability to work around trades, lane longer, and avoid certain death with 1k heals thanks for the vlad buffs rito :^)

right now aatrox and ww are sunk

vlad and swain are riding that tide

The problem with sustain is that it's probably something that was meant to deal against poke but works against anything. When I pick Irelia to deal with something like GP or Vlad it feels fair and rewarding but otherwise it's just oppressing.

Maybe the solution is making sustain work more like Ekko's ult? As in, based in recent damage? I dunno.

zkylon

zkylewd
The problem with sustain is that it's probably something that was meant to deal against poke but works against anything. When I pick Irelia to deal with something like GP or Vlad it feels fair and rewarding but otherwise it's just oppressing.

Maybe the solution is making sustain work more like Ekko's ult? As in, based in recent damage? I dunno.
not sure, i think the issue is that these champions are just kind of poorly designed

like someone like nami is allowed to have heals cos
- she's fucked if u get to her, squishy, no mobility, low reliability hard cc or blowing ult
- her whole kit is built around her taking risks, she's not only rewarded for being in headbutt+pulverize range but she's almost required it for consistently landing bubbles and getting the most out of ebb and flow
- sustain is not her "victory condition", sutains bot is just a suboptimal fallback pattern for her and heals are just another tool at her disposal with a pretty clear optimization path (getting 2+ ebb and flow procs)

nami is just a more nuanced champion and so she doesn't have to have any % missing health fancyness to force her not to be a sustain bot

she's just not motivated to do so cos she got better ways to beat you built in her kit

sadly not that many other examples in the game

I love Vel'Koz to death, but he is so damn squishy. I think I'm going to change my build up for more health.
huh? why? unless it's like rylais or liandrys or something, just learn to position better

I did not enjoy this roller coaster, even though we won in the end. Lordy. Was a battle of junglers. Their Eve was nuts, and so was our Voli. In the end, she fell off and Voli only got meaner.

Roller%20Coaster_zpsc9nylinl.png

huh? why? unless it's like rylais or liandrys or something, just learn to position better
I can't blame it all on my team of course, because I'm not a little bitch, but I have so many games where our tanks don't know how to front line. I just...don't know what to do half the time when that happens. I guess going more health won't help because either way I'm going to get focused down in 2 seconds.

All this recent talk about Illaoi recently made me pick her up and oh boy she's amazing. Just have to make sure Nasus is banned.

Yeah, I tried her vs Susan once because I had a Susan that got blown the fuuuck out by her once ... nope, didn't turn out in my favor at all. Need someone who can drop the dog to his knees out the gate. (Hear Vayne is great vs him but I don't see enuff tanks top side to practice her top side so I'll stick with my Voli).

That's why I don't like blind picking her. Someone might know her soft spot and run with it.

Yas is the main "got to ban" when I'm playing her and can pick a ban. His kit is bull shit to deal with :/

zkylon

zkylewd
I can't blame it all on my team of course, because I'm not a little bitch, but I have so many games where our tanks don't know how to front line. I just...don't know what to do half the time when that happens. I guess going more health won't help because either way I'm going to get focused down in 2 seconds.
health won't help you and in the end it's up to you to position properly and give the enemy team the smallest possible chance to get to you

as a mage use walls to your advantage whenever you can and learn how to weave in and out of the fight based on your cooldowns. you don't need to stick around if your spells are on cd and you also don't need to shoot everything all the time if you know there's someone scary out to get you.

and be patient, if there's assassins in the enemy team waiting for you to misposition you can just chill and do general poke from afar, even if you're not doing much they're not doing their job of killing you either so it's ok. when you see that fizz shark go off on somebody else you can feel free to get closer, blow your spells and back off, etc.

if you're zoned off cos your thresh took that hook then yea, hide behind walls or try and join up with whoever's willing to give u a hand

it's all about positioning

With Vel I think it's really important to embrace and learn to love your Q. Cause unless your team is just stumping ass it's gonna be the skill you use most to poke before a team fight breaks out. (also love to use W+Q to kite backwards. People don't respect that Passive Proc damage until they're chunked)

But if the team is behind it just feels really hard to be effective in a fight with him. Like, if you basically have no front line cause your tanks all got their asses BTFO earlier in the game then people can basically tower dive you on sight and waltz away. That's part of why I like Karthus, you can just sit on people and hurt them as you run away ... and if you die you can still hurt him.

But yeah, I always try to have someone or something between me and the enemy at all times. I also refuse to pick him into assassins of any kind in lane ... it really sucks but yeah, fuck Assassins, they can face my Sion.

Also, play Vel into Azir. He's my go-to when I know I'm facing an Azir.

Welp, the game saved me again to not de rank to Bronze II. the rematch system needs to be implemented asap

Rematch?

And I just made it back into B2 with my last Game. I thought you had to play the full 3 games to get placed but I had 1 auto win and won one and they were like "yay, you're now b2 with zero lp ...".

Thought that winning all your promo games would bump you up or at least give you some good gains, didn't think it would stop after 2 wins.

zkylon

zkylewd
i like her but she's extremely clunky and she is kind of stupid, the way her absolutely ridiculous combo damage works and how you're playing stardew valley with your lane trying to squeeze some drops of unworked ground to do full q's, but also how hard to notice worked ground is in actual fights where you might need full knowledge of their locations, and also how pointless and tacked on her passive feels

but yeah, that combo's super satisfying and i really like the ult even if i don't think i've ever used it right

------------

btw in overwatch news, the "avoid this player" feature we were talking about the other day has been disabled permanently since ppl were abusing it in high elo. who knew!

anyways here's a cute d.va

i demand a d.va ahri skin

winky face

Calvero

Banned
i like her but she's extremely clunky and she is kind of stupid, the way her absolutely ridiculous combo damage works and how you're playing stardew valley with your lane trying to squeeze some drops of unworked ground to do full q's, but also how hard to notice worked ground is in actual fights where you might need full knowledge of their locations, and also how pointless and tacked on her passive feels

but yeah, that combo's super satisfying and i really like the ult even if i don't think i've ever used it right

I think my favorite use of the ult so far has been using it to secure objectives. Shoving the enemy off the tower and then walling them off is hilarious.

edit: whoops, did not mean to double post. sorry!

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta

------------

btw in overwatch news, the "avoid this player" feature we were talking about the other day has been disabled permanently since ppl were abusing it in high elo. who knew!

anyways here's a cute d.va

i demand a d.va ahri skin

winky face
You need a mech skin too so would rumble be best choice?

Leezard

Great to see confirmation of the common sense argument.

not sure, i think the issue is that these champions are just kind of poorly designed

like someone like nami is allowed to have heals cos
- she's fucked if u get to her, squishy, no mobility, low reliability hard cc or blowing ult
- her whole kit is built around her taking risks, she's not only rewarded for being in headbutt+pulverize range but she's almost required it for consistently landing bubbles and getting the most out of ebb and flow
- sustain is not her "victory condition", sutains bot is just a suboptimal fallback pattern for her and heals are just another tool at her disposal with a pretty clear optimization path (getting 2+ ebb and flow procs)

nami is just a more nuanced champion and so she doesn't have to have any % missing health fancyness to force her not to be a sustain bot

she's just not motivated to do so cos she got better ways to beat you built in her kit

sadly not that many other examples in the game

Yeah, most healers are quite bad by design. Sona's heals have to be so bad to avoid being stupid, and we all know what passive play Soraka promotes, even if it's slightly better since she has more incentive to hit her Qs. Nami's the best. :)

Newt

<Consistently required to land bubbles in lane
<14s cooldown and maxed last

Lol

Nami suffers from same issues that Soraka does.

Sona doesn't suffer from these issues because all her damage is in her low range power chord.

Leezard

If you're losing lane to a Nami that's not playing offensively then you and/or your support are playing the lane badly.

Soraka is more close to Sona than Nami.

Newt

If you're losing lane to a Nami that's not playing offensively then you and/or your support are playing the lane badly.
A Nami who stands behind the ADC and bounces a W off them while potentially using E will pretty much win every trade and take little to no risk. No support can match that dmg, and going for short 1-2 AA trades is hardly punishable.

She would be way more oppressive of a pick if her peel wasn't such unreliable garbage.

I think the two best designed supports are Thresh and Bard, but of course I don't want them on my team because it requires actually landing abilities.

Leezard

A Nami who stands behind the ADC and bounces a W off them while potentially using E will pretty much win every trade and take little to no risk. No support can match that dmg, and going for short 1-2 AA trades is hardly punishable.

She would be way more oppressive of a pick if her peel wasn't such unreliable garbage.

If she's doing the first thing you will win trade by both supp/adc attacking the enemy adc since Nami can only get a single bounce and not a double bounce. If you can't do that you need to position better.

Short 1-2 AA trades are definitely punishable, you just need to get better at punishing. Unless you have a passive support I guess.

Nami is strong in lane but the easiest way to win against her is to punish a bad trade so that she has to use her heals without bounces. The lane is essentially won by then.

Newt

Either way man, Nami is not a champion that requires much finesse. Like run up to the enemy and spam the shit outta W. Doesn't seem that well designed to me.

It reminds me off the people who defend Anivia. The wall doesn't mean that much when you're just spam clearing waves.

In a similar situation the bubble can net you kills and put pressure, but it's not really a big problem if you miss it unless you overposition to get in range of it.

Leezard

You're just irrationally hating on her because you lose trades. Nami is one of the more risky supports, she's up there or slightly below Thresh and Bard when it comes to finesse. The bubble is one of the hardest to hit spells in the game, and your peel and kill pressure depends on it.

Newt

Lol the bubble man. Thresh and Bard are high risk supports and their winrate reflects that. Nami is what, slightly lower than Soraka?

Sure, it's difficult to peel with Nami, but she has that weakness to offset the mindless W spamming in lane.

Quonny

If you mindlessly spam W you're going to run out of mana and only hit one target.

Nami seems like a weird champion to hate on.

Newt

You go 18 utility with meditate and rush frostfang Mana is not that big of an issue. I should just first time Nami in ranked and post it here lol.

Leezard

Lol the bubble man. Thresh and Bard are high risk supports and their winrate reflects that. Nami is what, slightly lower than Soraka?

Sure, it's difficult to peel with Nami, but she has that weakness to offset the mindless W spamming in lane.
You're downplaying the risks you need to take to win lane. The unreliability of the bubbles combined with being very squishy makes her risky.

W spam is not enough to win lane proper, you need to weave in auto attacks. If you auto attack you are punishable unless the enemy has positioned badly.

You said
Sona doesn't suffer from these issues because all her damage is in her low range power chord.
yet Sona has the same auto attack range as Nami. Mindlessly spamming W is the same as mindlessly spamming Q+W with Sona without using power chords/autos, except Sona has longer range with her Q and is thus safer. If you want to win lane you need to do more.

Newt

The difference is, is that Sonas Q has crap dmg and requires auto attacks/powechord.

Nami's W doesn't need that, it has good dmg and heals.

Leezard

You need it if you want to win lane. Only spamming W is not enough unless the opponents are really bad. Nami will win any short trade with auto + W unless punished for doing it, sure, that's how the lane works. Only trading a single auto + ability against Nami auto + W is not enough.

Like, the way Nami wins against Sona is by forcing 1v1 trades or by hitting bubbles. Nami will win any 1v1 trade against Sona. Sona wins the matchup by hitting both Nami and Nami's adc with her Q at the same time. If there are more 1v1 trades, Nami outsustains Sona. If it's the other way around, Sona outsustains Nami.

Newt

Now it's just devolving into your word vs mine.

Well at least we can probably agree Swain is one of the worst designed champions.

Leezard

Now it's just devolving into your word vs mine.

Well at least we can probably agree Swain is one of the worst designed champions.
I guess. I don't mind laning against Nami because I know how she wins lane and how she loses lane, even by trading. I think the passive ones are the easiest to beat though. I haven't played her much in ranked recently because Zyra is both strong and fun.

Sure, I don't like Swain's design.

Top Bottom