• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT12| No more Lyte, just darkness.

jerd

On that note... what the fuck is franchising?

I'm not american, and the only thing that comes to my mind when I hear "franchise" is McDonalds, Walmart, etc.

If I understand correctly it's like how NFL or NBA are organized in that you always have the same teams (franchises) in the league so but isn't the only way that really works is with an amateur draft? I haven't read the proposal yet but the only way to prevent bottom feeders from being perennial bottom feeders is with an amateur draft where the worst teams get first dibs on the best new players.

Leezard

https://www.reddit.com/r/summonersc...ing_the_jungle_s7_jungle_pathing_incl_tested/

Someone on Reddit tested new jungle paths.

Turns out most of the best jungle paths start at Raptors!

Excerpt:
Legend:
SS = Same Side. You finish at the same side that you start.
CM = Cross Map. You finish at the opposite side that you start.
Level 3:
SS: Raptors -> Red -> Scuttle = 2:35 - 2:40 in bot river
SS: Blue -> Wolves -> Gromp = 2:35 finish
CM: Buff -> Wolf -> Buff - 2:45 finish (3:00 appear in top brush)
Level 4:
CM: Blue -> Gromp -> Wolf -> Raptors -> Red = 3:25 finish
CM: Raptors -> Red -> Blue -> Gromp -> Scuttle = 3:20 in bot river (2:56 lv 3 @ blue)
CM (small): Raptors -> Krugs -> Wolf -> Gromp = 3:30 in river
Level 6:
CM: Raptors -> Krugs -> Wolf -> Gromp -> Scuttle (optional) -> back -> Raptors -> Red -> Krugs -> Wolf -> Blue -> Gromp (if you didn't do Scuttle) = 6:05 - 6:10 finish

Jungle camps start at level 2, so it is insanely good to start Raptors since you get 30 extra exp per minion since they are level 2 while you are level 1.

killatopak

Gold Member
Should be Plat 1, like usual ranked placements.

I meant after you get placements. Can you get Challenger on Flex?

https://www.reddit.com/r/summonersc...ing_the_jungle_s7_jungle_pathing_incl_tested/

Excerpt:

Jungle camps start at level 2, so it is insanely good to start Raptors since you get 30 extra exp per minion since they are level 2 while you are level 1.

Does that factor leashing and damage taken after the raptors?

Leezard

I meant after you get placements. Can you get Challenger on Flex?

Does that factor leashing and damage taken after the raptors?

It doesn't say more than that he tried in a custom, so I'm guessing no leash. Mid laners should easily be able to help with a spell on raptors in a real game though.

Oh, good to know.

I thought they would implement what was talked about a couple of months ago where you can only reach plat or diamond on flex and have to switch mmr to solo queue to get higher.

I'm not 100% sure, but I haven't read anything about them actually implementing that.

Oh, good to know.

I thought they would implement what was talked about a couple of months ago where you can only reach plat or diamond on flex and have to switch mmr to solo queue to get higher.

Saw a tweet from Dyrus where he hit challenger in flex, so it's definitely possible.

Leezard

So soloq is not coming out today, Costy confirms. E-stalking intensifies.

K9cR4YV.jpg

drawkcaB

Excerpt:

I'll go more in depth in a bit since I did a lot of my own testing, but you can't apply a lot of this to most champions. Check out the champions he's trying this with: Graves, Amumu, Shyvana. Common thread? All can proc the healing off hunter's Talisman without pause. The other issue is that these guys frequently do thing with the rune, mastery, and item selection (i.e. health pots instead of hunter's potion) that would actually set you back in a game.

Quonny

I know no one cares about 3v3 but the meta for that right now is really, REALLY solid.

Tons of flexibility. Support, no support. ADC, no ADC. Burst team, poke team. Two tanks, one tank. No assassins, one or two assassins. Jungle, no jungle.

Will placement matches all be done in Flex even after solo queue is enabled?

Nope, they're 100% separate queues which means separate placements.

So soloq is not coming out today, Costy confirms. E-stalking intensifies.

yeah, today was the target date which was supposed to be removed from the post before it went live, but that wasn't communicated well to EU so it's still in the EU post. sigh.

it's 100% coming in this patch though (6.22)

fc45bd4cd5238220eecfaf84f529a2db:2a959208eba8bbc192758a5ec2dc65fb

SCiEh0z.png

Team Fire:
LCK:
Top: Smeb (56.5%)
Jungle: Bengi (46.3%)
Mid: Faker (82.6%)
ADC: PraY (51.9%)
Support: Madlife (47.4%)

NA LCS:
Top: Impact (41.7%)
Jungle: Reignover (36%)
Mid: Bjergsen (66%)
ADC: Doublelift (35%)
Support: Aphromoo (55.3%)

IWC:
TBD(December 1-December 4)

c7VErw1.png

Team Ice:
EU LCS:

Top: sOAZ (23.3%)
Jungle: Jankos (38.3%)
Mid: xPeke (35.2%)
ADC: Rekkles (43.1%)
Support: Mithy (18.1%)

LPL:
Top: Mouse (24.3%)
Jungle: Clearlove (49.6%)
Mid: We1less (27.4%)
ADC: Uzi (51%)
Support: Mata (34.5%)

LMS:
Top: Ziv (66.1%)
Jungle: Karsa (49%)
Mid: Maple (48.6%)
ADC: Bebe (56.1%)
Support: Albis (43.4%)
sauce

killatopak

Gold Member
Team fire gonna win this hard again.

Riot should shake up the teams like LCK should go ice this year or else it'll be a fire skin every year.

Talents

Banned
Wait the Fire and Ice teams look incredibly unbalanced.

They should change the rules so only 1 player per team can be put in for LCK instead of 2. LCK need restrictions in some way.

zkylon

zkylewd
GOGjJWY.jpg

ppl like it the least but light lux is cool

i think my favorites are:

dark lux - best outfit and hair and portrait, i like that she's evil and i like purply vfx
mystic lux - butterflies are cool as are generally pink stuffs, and i like that her voice turns super annoying
magma lux - cool vfx and cool portrait
light lux - i like the white color style, the portrait is bad but she does look kinda cool
thunder lux - outfit is really good but that's about it

GOGjJWY.jpg

ppl like it the least but light lux is cool

i think my favorites are:

dark lux - best outfit and hair and portrait, i like that she's evil and i like purply vfx
mystic lux - butterflies are cool as are generally pink stuffs, and i like that her voice turns super annoying
magma lux - cool vfx and cool portrait
light lux - i like the white color style, the portrait is bad but she does look kinda cool
thunder lux - outfit is really good but that's about it

Why fire element have to be always edgy and super angry

I find it hilarious how hard Reddit is trying to defend the Singed player

None of those fuckers would bat an eye before reporting him if they had to play with that shit.

Neol

I honestly don't find Singed to be that bad of support early on its just that towards the late game your not really gonna do much in teamfights and people don't want to deal with that.

They should look towards DotA and HotS on how they do supports. Both those games I dont mind and enjoy supporting at times.

League tho? Always gonna go teemo support cause man its a bore and unfun otherwise.

Gotta start playing fake supports like Brand, Kennen, Velkoz and Zilean. Once you get past getting a sightstone just start building for yourself and proceed to getting kills.

I really don't think adding more to the rotation would breed more support players.

It still boils down to support plays not being celebrated as well as killing sprees or chunking enemy health. They could add support related end of game stats like CC Duration Applied and make support actives more impactful and not just give bigger numbers. Puppeteer was a pretty cool item.

Item slots are still limited. You HAVE to get a Sightstone variant. You ESSENTIALLY need one slot for control wards and very rarely do I feel the need to replace control wards with an actual item even when I'm fully slotted and have a few thousand gold to spare. After boots, you really have only 2-3 items of your choice depending on your decision with your GP5 item. You have 2-3 items that makes you feel better, compared to others who have 4-5 chances to feel good about completing items.

On top of it, LoL is pretty much designed for ADC + Support now. You can't play Thresh, Braum, Soraka, etc in any other position. Tahm got shoved to support after seeing success at top and occasionally jungle. Lulu is forced to support after actually being playable in every position.

Hubb

League tho? Always gonna go teemo support cause man its a bore and unfun otherwise.

Go Zyra, build SS then full AP.

I honestly don't find Singed to be that bad of support early on its just that towards the late game your not really gonna do much in teamfights and people don't want to deal with that.

That Singed post from reddit wasn't even "supporting". Just wanted to JG/split push, but didn't want to pick top or jg for their role.

Leezard

They should look towards DotA and HotS on how they do supports. Both those games I dont mind and enjoy supporting at times.

Support means another thing in dota though, playing maokai or shen top would be playing support in dota. You have different role terminology in general when comparing league with dota. You could rename all of jungle, top and support positions in league to "supports" and then supports would suddenly be diverse and different.

Riot needs to design better supports outside the box, supports can be agressive hitting champs while healing your adc, a support fully dedicated to healing or a ofensive cc support ? heresy

Gold income as support.

Supports role is always the role who gets behind of gold and if the adc is having a bad moment the the support is doomed, forcing sometimes to roam and seek fortune in other lanes which is catastrophic for the adc,

Supports needs to be less dependant of the ADC for gold income or more prominent pasive gold income by staying near to the ADC role or by staying near to a minion dying or by hitting champs, not by chosing the gold runes but by chosing the support role.

Recognition of success as support

DONT SUPPORT KILLING, Sona is a good example of making a support unnecesary noticeable by being agressive and destroying her support kit in the process, Sona can be too strong by giving her more power in any of her skills.

Give me a damm flashy fire icon for saving everyone asses due assists sprees or by "saved by" or "protected by" actions and not by killing.

Itemization

I still believe Supports need exclusive items or passives or certain items to be support only so those said item cant be abused by other lanes like the starter support items and in some extend the advanced sightstones , Solari/Command and Portal.

The new support items are cool but can be nerfed when players figure out how to abuse them in other lanes so the support are forced to use to return to Solari in the process.

Anyway, support items are pretty straight forward and have little ramifications to do something different, the red trinked also take one slot so support have the starting support item boots, sightstones, solari and red trinked being mandatory in last season

So if a "support" wanted to be different he/she have to give up being support at sightstone and go full ofensive otherwise the supports fails and loses the lane.

Pre-Game

Last season I was forzed to go tanky because pugs demanded tanky supports to survive TFs, I dont blame them when sometimes top and jungle chose squishy champs, supports had to use a tanky champ to equilibrate the match or to secure the lane while the other lanes do they job, still if one team chose soraka then prepare for extreme boredom in bot lane until the jungler came.

Laning patterns

Thats a tricky one, influence minions, influence the jungle, being the only role able to spawn the river mob , being able to roam , a extra ward vision for being a support

I have no idea how they do it, but I find it hard to believe there isn't a support champ basically aping every other role but ADC.
I really don't think adding more to the rotation would breed more support players.

It still boils down to support plays not being celebrated as well as killing sprees or chunking enemy health. They could add support related end of game stats like CC Duration Applied and make support actives more impactful and not just give bigger numbers. Puppeteer was a pretty cool item.
I think these would be preaching to the converted though rather than attracting new players. I think Riot just needs to accept not every one wants to play support.

Item slots are still limited. You HAVE to get a Sightstone variant. You ESSENTIALLY need one slot for control wards and very rarely do I feel the need to replace control wards with an actual item even when I'm fully slotted and have a few thousand gold to spare. After boots, you really have only 2-3 items of your choice depending on your decision with your GP5 item. You have 2-3 items that makes you feel better, compared to others who have 4-5 chances to feel good about completing items.
I think there's definitely some mileage in what you're saying here, the only problem is that a lot of support-like active items are already in the game via champ abilities (Kayle Ult, Zilean Ult etc) - these could be 'fun' active-items but they already exist.

---

I'm not saying support is in the best position it could be in, but it's certainly healthy (although I was forced into it in the dark days of GP5, Boots and green ward city so I can appreciate how dire it was). Those that can't appreciate what support and support champs bring to the table are always going to be the bottom feeders of the game and that's a perfectly fine gate, IMO.

As I mentioned, not everyone wants to play support and sometimes you may have to, and that's tough shit in a role based game.

Shmuppers

Ghostblade rush is probable gone, Arpen nerfs and removal of AS makes it pointless for what ADCs bought it for. Duskblade I'm not sure, there's room for cheese with the new passive but I'm still not sold on it. Streamers were mostly going back to Reaver so maybe it won't be a thing either.

I see, thanks.

League and Dota have similar ideas of supports, imo. Both games have supports with kits that can be impactful without items and who exist to facilitate picks, ganks, and vision. Also, instead of having farm priorities of 1-2-3-4-5 like in DOTA, league has more of a 1 - 2 - 3 - 3 - 5.5. Jungler in league is essentially a farming 4 support, but with way more ability to farm. I think your real issue is that the ults are (arguably) more interesting for dota supports. Spell steal, winter wyvern ult (blanking on name), death ward, etc.

Leezard

I'm thinking gold income that is less dependent on the adc, more power in support items and support exclusive items, and less power to the supports that promote passive play in bot lane. Thresh, Leona, Nami, Zyra, Brand, and others are fine. Soraka is the worst offender on the passive part, but Janna certainly tries when she is strong, as do Sona if she is too strong.

Alot of good points brought up by everyone but I want to focus on this.

HotS really does a good job of highlighting players achievements after game. After the match an MVP is picked(and many a time Ive seen supports get mvp. Brightwing is the most common) and a big voice over comes on whilst showing the champion, the players name is in bold, and it shows the best things they did ie healing done, part of kills, etc.

Then it highlights 4 other players and titles are given, ie Siege master for most damage to forts and what not. These can be from either team(win or lose), and the mvp tends to be from the winning team. Then both sides can vote on who they want to commend.

But its gratifying. In League, to play support feels bad. It doesnt feel fun. In dota or hots, usually the supports tend to have a strong toolset that lets them operate without having gold. In League, alot of supports need gold in order to operate or they fall behind. Supports cannot have strong CC either because that would be "unfun". So what ends up happening is support has some CC, but not enough to make them feel fun and strong. Thresh was an unique case where he had alltta CC and control in a lane, but theyve nerfed him hard over time and then came the surge of AP supports like zyra, they received changes that made them stronger, and Thresh fell behind.

I dunno. Support needs a complete rehaul. The goals should be that they need to make it fun, and they need to make it rewarding to play. The worst feeling in the game is being queued with randos, and feeling like you cant do anything because you are so dependent on your team in order to succeed.

Alot of good points brought up by everyone but I want to focus on this.

HotS really does a good job of highlighting players achievements after game. After the match an MVP is picked(and many a time Ive seen supports get mvp. Brightwing is the most common) and a big voice over comes on whilst showing the champion, the players name is in bold, and it shows the best things they did ie healing done, part of kills, etc.

Then it highlights 4 other players and titles are given, ie Siege master for most damage to forts and what not. These can be from either team(win or lose), and the mvp tends to be from the winning team. Then both sides can vote on who they want to commend.

But its gratifying. In League, to play support feels bad. It doesnt feel fun. In dota or hots, usually the supports tend to have a strong toolset that lets them operate without having gold. In League, alot of supports need gold in order to operate or they fall behind. Supports cannot have strong CC either because that would be "unfun". So what ends up happening is support has some CC, but not enough to make them feel fun and strong. Thresh was an unique case where he had alltta CC and control in a lane, but theyve nerfed him hard over time and then came the surge of AP supports like zyra, they received changes that made them stronger, and Thresh fell behind.

I dunno. Support needs a complete rehaul. The goals should be that they need to make it fun, and they need to make it rewarding to play. The worst feeling in the game is being queued with randos, and feeling like you cant do anything because you are so dependent on your team in order to succeed.

Imagine supports with cheaps prices on support items or like having the same exp and gold as the adc or giving the adc exp by killing minions without using an specific item to use that skills but it would destroy LoL laning mechanics

Imagine supports with cheaps prices on support items or like having the same exp and gold as the adc or giving the adc exp by killing minions without using an specific item to use that skills but it would destroy LoL laning mechanics

Hrm.

Honestly if I were to make a fix for supports, itd be radical.

1-Remove items from supports.
2-drastically increase stat growth for supports.
3-offer a talent tree that lets you alter your base skills that you can pick every X levels

Basically, have a HotS style talent system for supports...not only would this make playing supports interesting, but it would push out non supports in the support lane. The talent system would allow supports to tailor their skills to who they are with and who they are against(imagine as a support, you can pick a talent that lets you target an ally and cleanse/make unstoppable).

Itd be interesting...playing support would be a unique thing to do in League, and a support wouldnt have the burden of worrying about gold...

...a complete retooling of support items, and only having these items available to support is another way to do it. Cheaper items, tailored to support, maybe alot of these items can be active so they can buffer their abilities...thats another way to do it.

Hrm.

Honestly if I were to make a fix for supports, itd be radical.

1-Remove items from supports.
2-drastically increase stat growth for supports.
3-offer a talent tree that lets you alter your base skills that you can pick every X levels

Basically, have a HotS style talent system for supports...not only would this make playing supports interesting, but it would push out non supports in the support lane. The talent system would allow supports to tailor their skills to who they are with and who they are against(imagine as a support, you can pick a talent that lets you target an ally and cleanse/make unstoppable).

Itd be interesting...playing support would be a unique thing to do in League, and a support wouldnt have the burden of worrying about gold...

...a complete retooling of support items, and only having these items available to support is another way to do it. Cheaper items, tailored to support, maybe alot of these items can be active so they can buffer their abilities...thats another way to do it.

Indeed, take the support role out of the scaling exp and gold of the other lanes but I am afraid we would see double adc or adcs with assassins and take the supports out the play so Riot have to reworks all the supports to be super aggresive on lane to keep up

Indeed, take the support role out of the scaling exp and gold of the other lanes but I am afraid we would see double adc or adcs with assassins and take the supports out the play so Riot have to reworks all the supports to be super aggresive on lane to keep up

Right. In that case we would have to make supports strong in a way that no other type can do. Give supports the Morde perk, where they gain full exp. Make support skills strong. Have a unique item set for supports that can influence the lane/game in ways that other picks wouldnt have access to.

I mean, the issue is that playing supports right now feels boring. Its not fun. Its rarely rewarding. And nobody wants to do it because of this and other reasons.

Top Bottom