• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT12| No more Lyte, just darkness.

Leezard

Hrm.

Honestly if I were to make a fix for supports, itd be radical.

1-Remove items from supports.
2-drastically increase stat growth for supports.
3-offer a talent tree that lets you alter your base skills that you can pick every X levels

Basically, have a HotS style talent system for supports...not only would this make playing supports interesting, but it would push out non supports in the support lane. The talent system would allow supports to tailor their skills to who they are with and who they are against(imagine as a support, you can pick a talent that lets you target an ally and cleanse/make unstoppable).

Itd be interesting...playing support would be a unique thing to do in League, and a support wouldnt have the burden of worrying about gold...

...a complete retooling of support items, and only having these items available to support is another way to do it. Cheaper items, tailored to support, maybe alot of these items can be active so they can buffer their abilities...thats another way to do it.

Indeed, take the support role out of the scaling exp and gold of the other lanes but I am afraid we would see double adc or adcs with assassins and take the supports out the play so Riot have to reworks all the supports to be super aggresive on lane to keep up

Right. In that case we would have to make supports strong in a way that no other type can do. Give supports the Morde perk, where they gain full exp. Make support skills strong. Have a unique item set for supports that can influence the lane/game in ways that other picks wouldnt have access to.

I mean, the issue is that playing supports right now feels boring. Its not fun. Its rarely rewarding. And nobody wants to do it because of this and other reasons.

I disagree with that playing support right now is boring, that depends on your pick. Something like your suggestion could be really interesting though.

Playing support champions isn't boring at all. Hell, I even enjoy Janna and Soraka. The problem that its hard to feel like you're winning the game yourself as opposed to just being there.

It's ironically similar to how ADC feels from time to time but worse.

Fuzzery

Costy the new face of rito confirmed

Flex q isn't any worse than the beginning of any other season IMO, went 8-2 and got plat 4...which is actually higher than my soloq elo (though I haven't played that too much lately)

On my other acct, silver 2 though, after going 6-4

TheFlow

Banned
"Shyvana deals 10% more damage to dragons.
Shyvana gains 5 Armor and Magic Resistance.
Elemental drakes defeated by Shyvana or her allies grant her an additional 5 Armor and Magic Resistance.
Total bonus Armor and Magic Resistance: X"

yum

Elemental drakes defeated by Shyvana or her allies grant her an additional 5 Armor and Magic Resistance.

yum

Ouroboros Shivana skin pls

yum

Did they scrap the bonuses thing for her

Good

Still a shitty passive. If that number stays static(5) then the most she will get is like 20 armor/mr.

zkylon

zkylewd
burden of doing all the vision control game is a thing that's lame cos it's not interesting or complicated enough, it feels like busywork and it's not very engaging, as well as lack of the "glory" of killing are probably the main reasons ppl don't like to support, but the role itself is fine

honestly support is probably the healthiest position in the game, not perfect by any means but it's fine

drawkcaB

I still think itemization is the best way to make supporting more interesting. Items that help with roaming (either by improving roaming or offering some protection to the ADC while the support is away) would be neat to fool around with in testing. Giving items like sheen, hex tech revolver, haunting guise, and others some support oriented upgrades would be really cool.

Support specific runes might be interesting.

Something else I'd like to see is matches having an MVP on both sides. Even when a support does super well with a ridiculous kill participation, etc. the numbers that stand out are kills, damage dealt, etc. But if there was an explicit MVP there'd be chances to really highlight the supports. The system is essentially in place thanks to the match grading, may as well take the extra step.

Nekofrog

Banned
My two most played champions that are not named irelia have the highest winrate in their lanes now, top naut and corki mid. If naut doesnt get nerfed or the cotc mastery doesn't get nerfed, he will be perma banned all season :(

TheFlow

Banned
CotC is pretty bonkers on Vi too.
Don't get me started on ducking vi.

She has carried a lot of teams I played against last week. She is a very popular pick atm in low Elo. Nobody cares to ban her because she hasn't been super strong last meta. Now she gets a crazy shield just for ulting or Qing an enemy so she actually survives for diving

zkylon

zkylewd
I still think itemization is the best way to make supporting more interesting. Items that help with roaming (either by improving roaming or offering some protection to the ADC while the support is away) would be neat to fool around with in testing. Giving items like sheen, hex tech revolver, haunting guise, and others some support oriented upgrades would be really cool.

Support specific runes might be interesting.

Something else I'd like to see is matches having an MVP on both sides. Even when a support does super well with a ridiculous kill participation, etc. the numbers that stand out are kills, damage dealt, etc. But if there was an explicit MVP there'd be chances to really highlight the supports. The system is essentially in place thanks to the match grading, may as well take the extra step.
yeah, that's true

supports get super screwed by the rating system also, at least that's what my main support friend tells me

i'll get S- playing taliyah and going like 6/4/9 and he'll get A if he goes 0/2/17 or something

about items, i think support items are pretty interesting in general. i like the idea of having a utility stat that boosts your buffs, shields and cc, i think it could also be a good way to like have different items mid for like assassins and mages and stuff.

tho they kind of do that stuff with athene's already, so idk

Kenai

Give a tangible way for Supports to feel good that only they have real access to, since a lot of normal "feel good" things for the rest of the team (going Legendary, getting Penta Kills ect), while not totally impossible for a support to do, are clearly not designed for them and usually advised against (cause let's be real, you'd rather your carry have those kills instead).

The most obvious way to do that would be via assists since that definitely leans towars support territory and would have the added benefit of encouraging team play in general, but I'm not really sure of the best way to implement something like that. Support items are in a decent spot I think, but when the game is designed around getting the most kills and you design a role (and a lot of champs for that role) specifically for not getting (many) kills, the role is going to be unpopular as a result.

zkylon

zkylewd
about two months late but i finally understood this joke lol

talesofvaloran72.png

Personally I believe that diving fighters/ bruisers should be given survival tools like this
at the expense of dmg, maybe, yeah

Quonny

The joke is that they're both blind and Udyr fell on his face before the fight which is meant to show that he's not tutoring a fellow blind person well.

Or something.

ToV rarely makes sense she/he just needs to draw cute girls.

zkylon

zkylewd
what, no

ekko knows the results cos he can travel in time

udyr goes face to the floor when he learns this cos he's been training lee sin for nothing

that's about it

yeah, that's true

supports get super screwed by the rating system also, at least that's what my main support friend tells me

i'll get S- playing taliyah and going like 6/4/9 and he'll get A if he goes 0/2/17 or something

I think supports can get and S ranking easily on early and mid game but the more the match last the more assists and wards placed you need to do, and if you die more than 3 times say goodbye to S ranking

drawkcaB

My two most played champions that are not named irelia have the highest winrate in their lanes now, top naut and corki mid. If naut doesnt get nerfed or the cotc mastery doesn't get nerfed, he will be perma banned all season :(

Don't worry, they'll nerf Naut...and then they'll nerf CotC...and then you'll never have to worry about Naut being banned.

yeah, that's true

about items, i think support items are pretty interesting in general. i like the idea of having a utility stat that boosts your buffs, shields and cc, i think it could also be a good way to like have different items mid for like assassins and mages and stuff.

tho they kind of do that stuff with athene's already, so idk

That's weird. I have no issues getting S- or better on supports. I get them all the time. It's really unfortunate for supports that they don't get recognized. There's games where my support or the opposing support clearly carried the fuck out of their team but there's zero recognition.

The shield boosts are nice items for sure, and probably long overdue, but I'm thinking stuff like a LoL equivalent of force staff, reworking Ohmwrecker to make it a support item for roamers (since many good roaming supports don't have the necessary early or mid game defensive stats from items to safely tower dive) and items that facilitate farming for ADCs under tower in the mid-game so the support can more easily roam.

zkylon

zkylewd
That's weird. I have no issues getting S- or better on supports. I get them all the time. It's really unfortunate for supports that they don't get recognized. There's games where my support or the opposing support clearly carried the fuck out of their team but there's zero recognition.

The shield boosts are nice items for sure, and probably long overdue, but I'm thinking stuff like a LoL equivalent of force staff, reworking Ohmwrecker to make it a support item for roamers (since many good roaming supports don't have the necessary early or mid game defensive stats from items to safely tower dive) and items that facilitate farming for ADCs under tower in the mid-game so the support can more easily roam.
i agree that cool items are cool :)p) but don't think that's a special issue with supports

Top Bottom