• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT12| No more Lyte, just darkness.

Hmmm, wonder why they put me in a waiting room to login cause of traffic but then Que times are like still 10 mins before i get my secondary role ..

Leezard

Got a DJ Sona shard, nice. Now to get essence for it.

Ryze ult is crazy. Essentially a short ranged Pit Lord ult, but oh so useful.

TheOddOne

First time playing Ekko and I like 'em.

naamloos4cjf8.png

Too bad he doesn't have a good stable poke.

zer0das

Banned
I wonder if they're ever going to admit defeat with Ryze and just move him back to his old kit where his numbers were on the slightly undertuned side so no one really bothered with him considering how much time his ramp up took.

TheFlow

Banned
I love when enemies team talk shit because you are getting rekted and close to winning, then you come back and win.

I BM them so bad in the all chat. also I am banning yas every game. our's went 8/19 and almost cost the game.

Ok, so here's my problem with new Ryze.

I think he's great. Actually, this will probably be an interesting and powerful incarnation of Ryze. But the issue with his new rework is his newfound utility and overloaded kit. His ultimate invalidates Tahm Kench completely. A support Ryze will outdo Tahm Kench, if only because Tanky Ryze will still have significant power over Tahm, and his ultimate is a faster, with more utility because the amount of people you can bring with you(And minions I suppose).

But Ryze support will be niche. No, the problem with new Ryze is that he's been given alot more utility with essentially the same toolkit.

Now his E is overloaded with various properties that affect the rest of his skills. His Q is overloaded, what was before a click to target, to skillshot, to now having a self-buff steroid if you rotate it out with his other spells. His Ultimate can work as an initiate or an escape. It's a great ultimate. It just invalidates another champion entirely.

And then there's the vlad-esque Mana/AP nonsense they have going. Extra damage with more mana, extra mana with more AP. Why does he need that? He doesn't. Move his Overloads passive onto his characters passive. There, he's better balanced then his rework is.

It's a great rework, but in the confines of Leagues meta, and how alot of champions are still 'old' and require reworks like this, he doesn't work. Like....this is the issue with League currently. That new characters/reworks are invalidating old ones/being grossly overpowered because in doing something different, they end up making something grossly powerful.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
yeah rito really has a tendency recently to give new abilities that are simply better versions of old ones or invalidate old champs

i guess the saving grace is it's short range, there's a blurb on the page on why it doesn't completely ruin tahm kench's ult

Ryze's Realm Warp never achieves the same lane-swapping potential of a Taliyah or Tahm Kench ult. As a result, the fact that he brings allied minions along on his ride is usually nothing more than a happy little accident, and his displaced friends soon return to their rightful lane. This doesn't hold true inside the enemy base, where lanes converge and Ryze's level 18 ult can actually transfer one lane's minions to an adjacent lane. If, for instance, you've got a massive wave that just destroyed the enemy's bottom lane inhibitor, you might Realm Warp to bring a pile of them with you to attack the midlane inhibitor turret. They'll dutifully give up their allegiance to the botlane and attack the turret closest to them.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
not sure how his cooldowns work now though - the charge a rune to use q or use q to cancel the charge is confusing, and if you can stack your e passive then the cooldown must be ridiculously short? i need to see this in action

Riot just hardbuffed Tahms ult from what I saw this patch, probably in response to the Ryze rework.

The question is if it'll be enough.

Ryze's new ult is strong because it can be efficiently used in a teamfight to reposition-which is something that is probably the most important thing in League, position. It's strong because it's utility is insane. It's strong because it's a huge area of effect. It's strong because the only other skill like it-Tahm Kench's ult-isn't as instantaneous as Realm Warp is and you don't have to click on Warp.

Not only that, but the distance shown in this video isn't insignificant. Teleporting Ryze was one thing for a gank, but now he can transport teammates to make ganking even easier. As a top/mid, he can do this. Tahm can't, he's a support and doesn't have the damage to back him up.

Like I said, it's a great rework. It's just that in the confines of league, it breaks many things.

Riot just hardbuffed Tahms ult from what I saw this patch, probably in response to the Ryze rework.
R
CHANNEL DURATION15 seconds ⇒ 6 seconds
CAST DELAY1 second ⇒ 0.25 seconds
ENEMY WARNING TIME1.5 seconds ⇒ 1 second
RANGE4000/5000/6000 ⇒ 4500/5500/6500

Hmmm ...

Zynx

Let's start a betting pool. How long will it take for Riot to announce the next Ryze rework after this one?

I'll start off with 6 months.

drawkcaB

Jesus Christ Riot had a chance to remove Ryze's mana-as-damage and on-click snare bullshittery and they kept them.

EDIT: and a better Tahm Kench ultimate. Fantastic. A+.

Whatever. At least now we can get on with it and finally see reworked Warwick and Yorick.

To be fair their kits have a lot to do with it as well. Diana's ult is worse than Akali's ult. At least Ryze can't eat his allies.

On the Diana/Akali part, Dianas ult may feel worse than Akalis, but Diana has more utility/tankiness in her skillset...

...on the other part, it doesn't help that Ryzes kit is overloaded at the moment. In combination with that, I can say that Ryze will be a bit too powerful. With those passives on his skills, with that ult, the only silver lining is if his base damage is complete shit(100 base damage max for his Q would be ideal~) in which case it works itself out.

Leezard

On the Diana/Akali part, Dianas ult may feel worse than Akalis, but Diana has more utility/tankiness in her skillset...

...on the other part, it doesn't help that Ryzes kit is overloaded at the moment. In combination with that, I can say that Ryze will be a bit too powerful. With those passives on his skills, with that ult, the only silver lining is if his base damage is complete shit(100 base damage max for his Q would be ideal~) in which case it works itself out.

Indeed, comparing their whole skillset is the point. Tahm is tanky and can peel, new Ryze hopefully won't get both the tankiness and damage like he had before. Like you say, if he has bad base damage things would be simple.

That's not to say I don't believe Ryze might become OP again with the rework, that's not very unlikely.

Indeed, comparing their whole skillset is the point. Tahm is tanky and can peel, new Ryze hopefully won't get both the tankiness and damage like he had before. Like you say, if he has bad base damage things would be simple.

That's not to say I don't believe Ryze might become OP again with the rework, that's not very unlikely.

I think Ryze will still get pretty tanky. His core items will still be Seraphs, Rod of Ages(They both feed into his mana, which feeds into his damage, and AP feeds into his mana.) Frozen Heart and Banshees(They both feed into his damage).

The only thing he doesn't have anymore is spellvamp. His W+E don't reset anymore, only his Q. So his teamfight ability is a little bit worse because he can't spam his snare as much, but his initiation will be extremely good. His damage will probably be pretty strooooong, and he'll be tanky because his core build won't be any different.

So the Ryze Rework has accomplished this-
Removed his skill spamming(For E+W+R)
Removed his Spell Vamp
Moved his passive into his Q which requires set up
Gains a new passive giving him Mana for AP, and his Mana increases his skill damage
Rune Prison remains the same
His E gains utility and additional effects, doesn't shred MR anymore
Gains a new ultimate that allows him to teleport his team a distance, about 1500-2000 range from the looks of it.

It's a good rework, but for League it's a toxic one.

Leezard

I think Ryze will still get pretty tanky. His core items will still be Seraphs, Rod of Ages(They both feed into his mana, which feeds into his damage, and AP feeds into his mana.) Frozen Heart and Banshees(They both feed into his damage).

The only thing he doesn't have anymore is spellvamp. His W+E don't reset anymore, only his Q. So his teamfight ability is a little bit worse because he can't spam his snare as much, but his initiation will be extremely good. His damage will probably be pretty strooooong, and he'll be tanky because his core build won't be any different.

So the Ryze Rework has accomplished this-
Removed his skill spamming(For E+W+R)
Removed his Spell Vamp
Moved his passive into his Q which requires set up
Gains a new passive giving him Mana for AP, and his Mana increases his skill damage
Rune Prison remains the same
His E gains utility and additional effects, doesn't shred MR anymore
Gains a new ultimate that allows him to teleport his team a distance, about 1500-2000 range from the looks of it.

It's a good rework, but for League it's a toxic one.

Oh right, he still gets a shield from Q. I was thinking he lost both the spell vamp and the shield. We'll have to see how the result is, then.

Nekofrog

Banned
Hey guys remember old ryzes toxic mana scaling that let him build a frozen heart second item and become nearly Unkillable while increasing his damage output like crazy?

Pls not again

I don't see the issue you guys have with Rune Prison. It's not spamable anymore (unless I'm mistaken) and having some point and click cc in the game is really useful for keeping champs like Ahri and Yasuo in check. We don't have a lot of them anymore.

I don't see the issue you guys have with Rune Prison. It's not spamable anymore (unless I'm mistaken) and having some point and click cc in the game is really useful for keeping champs like Ahri and Yasuo in check. We don't have a lot of them anymore.

It's a fine skillset. Rune prison never was the issue for me(Except for the spamability, previously).

It's in combination with everything else in his kit that is the issue. He has way too much utility and too many passives that he's automatically a step above other tanky mages because of that. In comparison to other characters who fit a similar role, he has way too much in his current kit. Waaaay too much.

Like I've mentioned, it's a good rework, but for League's current state it's way too strong.

zkylon

zkylewd
i'm actually sort of positive about the rework cos they gave him an actual missable spell ultimate that can be properly gated by cooldowns, which is what i've been saying for a while would be needed to balance ryze

the rest is pretty hard to talk about without actual numbers but yea i'm not a big fan of the stat conversion passives and the kit does feel overloaded (i guess they kind of set themselves up for that by making his ult a non dmg spell) but we'll see

will depend on how fair it feels when used together with his ult

the problem with rune prison before was not only spammability but also the tons of ms he got from his ult which combined with flash meant u couldn't really escape it

haven't watched the video on the new ult but if it's quick then that might prove problematic

haven't watched the video on the new ult but if it's quick then that might prove problematic

It's about 1.5 seconds?

It looks like Ryze can be stunned out of it(But I don't see a casting bar for it so it might just be a canned animation for it), which will lessen its use during a teamfight, but for the casting time and not needing any input from allies for them to benefit from it(Unlike Tahms), it does seem a bit strong.

I'd have to see final base numbers for his skills and scalings, but his passive doesn't give me confidence that Ryze won't have issues in being incredibly tanky as well as having a high damage output on top of his new utility now.

Talents

Banned
Yeah I've never had a problem with his Rune Prison (apart from the time where he could perma cc you, that was dumb). I just hate how he can destroy anyone once he gets cata and tear.

Top Bottom