• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT12| No more Lyte, just darkness.

Leezard

Back to D2. I'll be able to play more and hopefully climb some more now that I have vacation.

tBG00Yg.jpg
Uncommon when an enemy player is praising our comp instead of flaming his team.

Leezard

for my future reference, are they any adc's other than a Draven with a lead that can 1v1 Vayne? assume equal farm. early/midgame

There are, but it's highly conditional. Typically it requires getting off a spell rotation and that Vayne can't really fight back.

Varus could probably do it if he hits his ult, then he can attack outside of Vayne's auto range and probably finish her or make her low enough with Q/E so that she's dead in just an auto or two, while you have full health. If your R misses, abort mission.

Caitlyn can do it similarly, with an attack outside of Vayne's range, then you hit her with the EQ-auto-R combo to bring her really low or just kill her. If Vayne gets in range and dodges the EQ you're screwed.

Ashe could maybe do it if she hits with her ult when Ashe has her Q charged up and ready.

There are a few others that could potentially do it, like Twitch with a good ambush, but typically your safest bet is to make the fight unfair by getting a spell rotation on her without her being able to fight back. 1v1'ing Vayne fairly is typically suicide as she can win even when behind.

patchday

Back to D2. I'll be able to play more and hopefully climb some more now that I have vacation.

Uncommon when an enemy player is praising our comp instead of flaming his team.

grats! Yeah that guy was a really good sport! Just in tune with his inner chi or some crap

patchday

oh btw happy July 4th you guys (well at least those of us that celebrate it!). Bout to fire up my grill in a bit

But hoping to get in at least one LoL game today.

talking about ranked

I kinda prefer Hots version to it

For the promos in that game, you simply have to play one game to get promoted. If you lose, you lose points and you have to do 1-2 games before you're in 'promo' mode again. None of that 'Oh win 3 games out of 5 you filthy animal'.

patchday

Ranked in Hearthstone even easier. They have 'kill streaks'. So if you can chain together some wins they propel you into the next rank. I made it into top 50% last month. Also the seasons only 1 month long but that makes sense due to the way they hand out the rewards. I love it I guess.

In HoTS, I love how they show your skin for the hero you picked in the draft. LoL doesnt do that since you pick the skin 'after the fact' but I guess I wish they at least showed the default skin the player has selected

Ranked in Hearthstone even easier. They have 'kill streaks'. So if you can chain together some wins they propel you into the next rank. I made it into top 50% last month. Also the seasons only 1 month long but that makes sense due to the way they hand out the rewards. I love it I guess.

In HoTS, I love how they show your skin for the hero you picked in the draft. LoL doesnt do that since you pick the skin 'after the fact' but I guess I wish they at least showed the default skin the player has selected

It's also because the game client is external from the in-game engine..client. Since HotS is just in-game when you launch the game, it's easier to show off the 3D models(Which look WAY better than Leagues in-game models, no contest there..) in the draft selection. I dunno if the new League client is 'in-game engine' like that, I imagine they could've done it there but...League is weird like that.

Also Zkylon, theres a mage character in that game who got a beach volleyball skin, and for her ultimate she shoots a flurry of balls. It's pretty great~

patchday

Yeah very excited for the new LoL client! I hope it works like HoTS and Dota reborn.

oh yeah I know the skin you're talking bout. It looks great. Since LoL and Smite has pool party skins covered I think HotS is going the right direction with the basketball skins. Granted, LoL also coined dunkmaster Darius but its all good

for my future reference, are they any adc's other than a Draven with a lead that can 1v1 Vayne? assume equal farm. early/midgame

I sent a Vayne running after she tried to fight me as Jinx.

(but I was Jinx top cause fuck you, they had Vlad and I wanted to play Jinx so I might have been a level or 2 ahead)

faridmon

OK, I have been playing a lot of normals. And HOLY SHIT is Soraka over powered this patch. Maybe I found my new main.

I have been trying to play more Maokai, but he sort of sucks for some reason. Maybe the nerf hit him harder than I thought, but I have been losing lanes and match ups way more often now than before.

I also tried Tahm Kench, and he is tricky to get a good grip on.

anymore supp champs I should try out?

Is it my imagination, or is the apen MF build just sort of broken if you have a couple of cc artists on your team and they don't have a Braum?

I was doing more than 4,000+ damage in an aoe at like 28 minutes by pressing R. That's not okay is it?

zkylon

zkylewd
It's also because the game client is external from the in-game engine..client. Since HotS is just in-game when you launch the game, it's easier to show off the 3D models(Which look WAY better than Leagues in-game models, no contest there..) in the draft selection. I dunno if the new League client is 'in-game engine' like that, I imagine they could've done it there but...League is weird like that.
new client is also separate from the "play client" but i can't imagine them not adding the ability to preview skins in the future

even if they work off different engines rendering something in 3d is not really that hard lol

also i do wish rito bumped up the resolution on their models just a bit. i kind of want to see source filmmaker stuff ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Also Zkylon, theres a mage character in that game who got a beach volleyball skin, and for her ultimate she shoots a flurry of balls. It's pretty great~
hmpf

mcz117chief

I just bought Miss Fortune today and I must say, she totally reinvigorated my lust to play ADC again. She is a ton of fun and is pretty easy to play too.

Is she popular in the current meta?

Leezard

Is it my imagination, or is the apen MF build just sort of broken if you have a couple of cc artists on your team and they don't have a Braum?

I was doing more than 4,000+ damage in an aoe at like 28 minutes by pressing R. That's not okay is it?
Yeah, it can be a bit ridiculous when MF melts half the enemy team during her ult.
I just bought Miss Fortune today and I must say, she totally reinvigorated my lust to play ADC again. She is a ton of fun and is pretty easy to play too.

Is she popular in the current meta?

She's not very popular, but she's a decent pick. She is in a good spot if you count winrate, and she's more popular than Twitch/Draven.

playing against a Malz today left a really bad taste in my mouth. I know I could have done more to win the game but I still hate that champ.

I made the mistake of selling my QSS when we took down all three of their inhibs, turns out that was a bad move because lol point and click suppression and cc immune :/

zkylon

zkylewd
lol champion.gg is not even tracking mid lulu anymore

also seems like her support winrate dipped too

sigh..

playing against a Malz today left a really bad taste in my mouth. I know I could have done more to win the game but I still hate that champ.

I made the mistake of selling my QSS when we took down all three of their inhibs, turns out that was a bad move because lol point and click suppression and cc immune :/
rework was really bad, malzahar is just a bad champion design

it's telling that even if he's super broken (#1 winrate on mid and top) he's still one of the least played champions in both positions

part of it is that he's banned a lot but also that he's almost as boring to play as he is to play against

i'm surprised rito blew it with him, it felt like they were well aware of his issues and ended up ignoring them all anyways

You could see the rework was never gonna work the moment they kept his E pretty much intact. Point and click DoTs have no place in this game, even more so now that they can't be cleansed, it's probably the most obnoxious mechanic to deal with in the game because of how frustrating it is to get tagged by something you have no control over besides not being in range to eat it in the first place.

Add the spread + mana regen mechanic on top and you have the most non interactive spell in the game. Stuff like CC immunity and zerg rushing people while they get perma slowed from your DoT refreshing is just the icing on a shit cake, deciding to keep the E made the rework fail before it was even done.

patchday

new client is also separate from the "play client" but i can't imagine them not adding the ability to preview skins in the future

even if they work off different engines rendering something in 3d is not really that hard lol

also i do wish rito bumped up the resolution on their models just a bit. i kind of want to see source filmmaker stuff ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

oh man darn :(

Yeah well maybe before buying a skin if you could preview it that would be cool

zkylon

zkylewd
You could see the rework was never gonna work the moment they kept his E pretty much intact. Point and click DoTs have no place in this game, even more so now that they can't be cleansed, it's probably the most obnoxious mechanic to deal with in the game because of how frustrating it is to get tagged by something you have no control over besides not being in range to eat it in the first place.

Add the spread + mana regen mechanic on top and you have the most non interactive spell in the game. Stuff like CC immunity and zerg rushing people while they get perma slowed from your DoT refreshing is just the icing on a shit cake, deciding to keep the E made the rework fail before it was even done.
yeah his rework is really confusing, he pushes just as much as before but he's much less punisheable than before

honestly with the exception of his q i think they should throw away his entire kit, holy shit it's so bad

oh man darn :(

Yeah well maybe before buying a skin if you could preview it that would be cool
personally i much prefer league's separate clients system

we live in a world where ppl do multiple stuff at once and while i'm on queue or inviting friends or whatever i don't need the game to be fullscreen taking over my entire computer

i much rather the launcher client be a quiet little thing that's just there to get me into the game and that allows me to move my attention towards other shit like setting up the skype call or reading neogaf or whatever

but i all but guarantee they'll add a preview to skins

Hrm.

Dots can work. Its just that Malz has too much CC(silence and supression) for someone who can do ridiculous damage, which can be made even more ridiculous through Rylais. Not only that but his passive is pretty stupid. Malz isnt a bad champion, he just doesnt mesh with League in terms of his power.

Its like Ive mentioned before with Ryze...theyre good concepts but in the confines of League they are too radical to the current roster/state of the game.

Like...I know I bring up HotS alot, but bear with me. One of the most prevalent dot champions in that game is Kael'Thas. He has a dot called living bomb, that ticks a few times and then blows up on the enemy hero, and it can spread through other characters this way. However, unlike Malz he has a situational shield and only 1 CC, which is a skillshot. His shield needs to be completed through a quest in match, and its on a 60 second cooldown. His CC is a skillshot stun, it can be empowered to stun up to 3 people if they are hit.

Despite his power in damage, hes actually quite fragile. He can empower his Bomb to have a slight slow or for it to spread infinitely, but he would have to sacrifice survivability from blink or an explosion radius to do so. Because there are no items, he cant get a perma slow or be extremely bulky.

So why do I bring him up? Because Malz could hold his own in HotS with his kit. For what it offers, he could work there. His kit and KTs kit are similar enough in terms of raw power they offer. And thus presents the problem- in League, Malz becomes a bit broken. Its a combination of items empowering his kit to ridiculous levels(Rylais, mainly) and that there is no good counter that can shut him down from a distance. In HotS there are a plethora of characters that can shut someone like KT down or can match his power. In League, an average Malz can beat out a better player because of the kit offered.

Like...I enjoy the direction League is taking with these radical new kits. I really do. But I understand that right now, those kits are only on a miniscule portion of the roster. Thats the problem. Because of that, this miniscule portion of characters end up being the go to picks, the most popular bans, the strongest in their meta.

Ekko had, or should I say has, this problem because of his overloaded kit. Its why hes consistently been nerfed through the last few patches.

Its...its hard to balance this. I feel the gameplay designers want to do radical kits like Ryze, Ekko, or Malz, but theyre inhibited because they would be too strong in comparison to the rest of the roster. Theyre slowly taking passes on older champions, but with the ever evolving philosphies of their design choices, more champions are getting left in the dust than not.

patchday

personally i much prefer league's separate clients system

we live in a world where ppl do multiple stuff at once and while i'm on queue or inviting friends or whatever i don't need the game to be fullscreen taking over my entire computer

i much rather the launcher client be a quiet little thing that's just there to get me into the game and that allows me to move my attention towards other shit like setting up the skype call or reading neogaf or whatever

but i all but guarantee they'll add a preview to skins

My guess is Riot's marketing doesnt want to rock the boat. They must feel running the two clients allows them to run ads and there's a lot of infrastructure in the store

I usually run my games fullscreen-borderless so I can surf the web. Hearthstone, for example, runs that way at all times and I can still hit 60 in Overwatch running that way running at around mid settings or so

My main goal is to get into LoL's matches faster. It's by far the slowest of all my regular games. I don't know if it's the client or they're replicating a bunch of crazy stuff at map load. I load 100% fast (even on my non-SSD) but I have to wait so long on other people

patchday

Hrm.

Dots can work. Its just that Malz has too much CC(silence and supression) for someone who can do ridiculous damage, which can be made even more ridiculous through Rylais. Not only that but his passive is pretty stupid. Malz isnt a bad champion, he just doesnt mesh with League in terms of his power.

Its like Ive mentioned before with Ryze...theyre good concepts but in the confines of League they are too radical to the current roster/state of the game.

Like...I know I bring up HotS alot, but bear with me. One of the most prevalent dot champions in that game is Kael'Thas. He has a dot called living bomb, that ticks a few times and then blows up on the enemy hero, and it can spread through other characters this way. However, unlike Malz he has a situational shield and only 1 CC, which is a skillshot. His shield needs to be completed through a quest in match, and its on a 60 second cooldown. His CC is a skillshot stun, it can be empowered to stun up to 3 people if they are hit.

Despite his power in damage, hes actually quite fragile. He can empower his Bomb to have a slight slow or for it to spread infinitely, but he would have to sacrifice survivability from blink or an explosion radius to do so. Because there are no items, he cant get a perma slow or be extremely bulky.

So why do I bring him up? Because Malz could hold his own in HotS with his kit. For what it offers, he could work there. His kit and KTs kit are similar enough in terms of raw power they offer. And thus presents the problem- in League, Malz becomes a bit broken. Its a combination of items empowering his kit to ridiculous levels(Rylais, mainly) and that there is no good counter that can shut him down from a distance. In HotS there are a plethora of characters that can shut someone like KT down or can match his power. In League, an average Malz can beat out a better player because of the kit offered.

Like...I enjoy the direction League is taking with these radical new kits. I really do. But I understand that right now, those kits are only on a miniscule portion of the roster. Thats the problem. Because of that, this miniscule portion of characters end up being the go to picks, the most popular bans, the strongest in their meta.

Ekko had, or should I say has, this problem because of his overloaded kit. Its why hes consistently been nerfed through the last few patches.

Its...its hard to balance this. I feel the gameplay designers want to do radical kits like Ryze, Ekko, or Malz, but theyre inhibited because they would be too strong in comparison to the rest of the roster. Theyre slowly taking passes on older champions, but with the ever evolving philosphies of their design choices, more champions are getting left in the dust than not.

both HoTS and LoL have been doing well reworking their champs. I've recently been playing HoTS a little again- mainly to go through all the reworked champs.

Its been great playing with the reworks in LoL too. I love the reworked Zyra.

My guess is Riot's marketing doesnt want to rock the boat. They must feel running the two clients allows them to run ads and there's a lot of infrastructure in the store

I usually run my games fullscreen-borderless so I can surf the web. Hearthstone, for example, runs that way at all times and I can still hit 60 in Overwatch running that way running at around mid settings or so

My main goal is to get into LoL's matches faster. It's by far the slowest of all my regular games. I don't know if it's the client or they're replicating a bunch of crazy stuff at map load. I load 100% fast (even on my non-SSD) but I have to wait so long on other people

it's not about "not rocking the boat", it's a conscious design choice. It's better socially just to have a smaller client running in the background people can bring up to chat with their friends in, without it being a resource hog etc. Like the updated client is really light on resources and will be even better at launch, especially since it's only in Alpha now.

We don't want a big, resource intensive, cumbersome client.

zkylon

zkylewd

lol what's marketing got to do with anything?

you're being silly

also loadingtimes has nothing to do with the launcher client, it's mostly ppl with slow machines or slow internet

talking about ranked

I kinda prefer Hots version to it

For the promos in that game, you simply have to play one game to get promoted. If you lose, you lose points and you have to do 1-2 games before you're in 'promo' mode again. None of that 'Oh win 3 games out of 5 you filthy animal'.

Didnt passing division promos are 10 in LoL? like what.

mcz117chief

iMcwAo2.png

That feeling when your entire team gets an S.

Should be an achievement or skin or something for that.

Well that's a first, rarely do I see 2 people getting S- or more but 5 is for me inconceivable. Did you smurf some bronze players or something? I really can't imagine that all 5 players would dominate so much that they would all get an S rank.

I really feel like too much of the game relies on whose bot lane gets ahead :/

Don't like feeling like I'm herding around fucking cats when the ADC sucks and now you have no good ranged AD dmg being pumped out.

Leezard

I prefer a smaller client as opposed to a full screen client as well. I have high specs so it's not a matter of that for me. Even running borderless fullscreen it's convenient with a small, windowed client. For people with lower-spec computers it must be a much better experience if you want to multitask.

mcz117chief

I really feel like too much of the game relies on whose bot lane gets ahead :/

Don't like feeling like I'm herding around fucking cats when the ADC sucks and now you have no good ranged AD dmg being pumped out.

Well I honestly think that top and jungle are the ones who really decide who wins or loses most of the time. If somebody picks a really tanky top and manages to get far ahead to also get insane damage then in team fights you really can't win against them more often than not. A fed Nasus, Darius, Malphite, Maokai, Trundle, Garen, etc. will eradicate 2 or 3 people effortlessly and the same goes for a jungler like Xin or Rek Sai. A fed bot lane is still only about 3k HP total and unless you can kite like a pro you will get stomped to death by a 4k hp Maokai.

At least that is my experience, of course if you get a good Vayne who can outplay anyone then a fed bot lane will easily win you the whole game, but that happens rarely, mostly it is the top or jungle that lead the team to victory.

Xeilyn

So just played against a Vlad top, most unfun shit ive encountered in the game.

Also.. I unlocked Nasus from random champion shards, i dont know how anyone can play him willingly, such a boring kit

So just played against a Vlad top, most unfun shit ive encountered in the game.

Also.. I unlocked Nasus from random champion shards, i dont know how anyone can play him willingly, such a boring kit

Funny, say that God must be bored out of his mind.

Do you want to be a God

Top Bottom