• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT13| Diamond is Unreachable

Newt

watching your teammates do things that only a person with 2 weeks of Lol experience make is painful.

you know it is bad when you gotta tell your adc what to build.

cost me my promos.
Well to be fair, Silver V is like the standard area that people new to ranked are placed in.

As someone new to the game, it's very annoying going against people with full runes and a keystone in normals. I'm already at a disadvantage by being new, but having to lane against someone and seeing thunderlord's or something in loading before every game is a bit tilting. It'd be nice to go against others without those small advantages once in a while.

JulianImp

watching your teammates do things that only a person with 2 weeks of Lol experience make is painful.

you know it is bad when you gotta tell your adc what to build.

cost me my promos.

I was watching minishcap's stream a while ago, and got to see a game where his Elise jg player eventually asked her team if she should get at least one armor item against a full-AD team, and another where he got a Zac jungle that kept leaping into 1v5s and dying for no good reason while building full AP. I also saw his teammates make some pretty awful mistakes that I didn't expect diamond-tier players to make, and yet they did. I guess some people could've been boosted into those games, but it looks like players are still likely to make some pretty awful mistakes regardless of their division.

Then again, watching minishcap made me feel kind of bad for his teammates because of how easily he got tilted into calling his teammates names and continously cursing at the stream.

One thing I noticed is that Edge of Night is really OP against Singed since he can't pop it with anything, and it's probably pretty easy to prepare the spellshield in time even if the RG+ult+ghosts into you. Maybe you could pop the RG slow early if that does trigger the shield in order to get a fling in, though.

As someone new to the game, it's very annoying going against people with full runes and a keystone in normals. I'm already at a disadvantage by being new, but having to lane against someone and seeing thunderlord's or something in loading before every game is a bit tilting. It'd be nice to go against others without those small advantages once in a while.

While it could just be matchmaking not working all that well for you, if you're getting paired up against higher-level opponents than you when playing solo it might also mean that you're considerably better than people on your same level. You will be eating thunderlord procs and getting beat at math by better runes, but you can play around some of those advantages with smart play.

zkylon

zkylewd
this nunu dude is exactly why using a semi automated system is alright, it lets the community decide what they think about these kinds of situations without depending on riot to moderate

doesn't matter if he's "folowing the rules", nobody likes playing with this guy and his way of playing the game that's only fun for him, so the community collectively gets to tell him to fuck off

it doesn't matter if he wins or loses, if people doesn't like what he's doing they're gonna report him and he's gonna get banned

it's a 10 player game, you shouldn't get to force your weirdo way of playing on other people

Newt

Essentially what the Nunu is doing is no different than people taking lobbies hostage. If you're not fine with the latter you shouldn't be fine with the former.

doesn't matter if he's "folowing the rules", nobody likes playing with this guy and his way of playing the game that's only fun for him, so the community collectively gets to tell him to fuck off

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

"You're not doing anything wrong, but I don't like the way you play, so enjoy the ban"

You guys crack me up sometimes.

Ever

Banned
"I understand you want to play Smite Nunu Support, however, your teammates do not want you to play Smite Nunu Support"

Newt

Players like you are the reason I'll never get banned, Levi.

Sure, they aren't technically breaking any rules, but they're overall showing assholeish behaviour.

Players like you are the reason I'll never get banned, Levi.

Sure, they aren't technically breaking any rules, but they're overall showing assholeish behaviour.

What this guy is doing isn't what you do tho. You've said that you do things like AFK at fountain/leave games if people don't surrender (which is why some of LoLGAF still wonders how you haven't gotten hit with a ban). This dude is just picking an off-meta playstyle.

Newt

It doesn't really matter whether what he's doing works or not. If you're ruining the experience of your team, it's no different than troll picking.

Talents

Banned
I'm surprised it even works though. What I'd expect to happen is the enemy bot laners push his adc in, his adc gets dove by the jungler and dies. Rinse and repeat.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I'm surprised it even works though. What I'd expect to happen is the enemy bot laners push his adc in, his adc gets dove by the jungler and dies. Rinse and repeat.
If you want to pretend someone dropping ranks and goofing off "works"...yeah...sure...
some random post off reddit said:
Some of his games he's the jungler. He's actually 33-38 and getting his ass carried.

He has 85 kills, 535 deaths, 763 assists in the past 71 Nunu support games.

He's queued up with friends for 35 games the past month, never played Nunu support in them.
Like actually hilarious that people stand up for this kind of player. If Riot goes back on this ban, which is some pitiful 14 day slap on the wrist, I'll be super mad...

remist

Like actually hilarious that people stand up for this kind of player. If Riot goes back on this ban, which is some pitiful 14 day slap on the wrist, I'll be super mad...
I got some bad news for you.
Hey everyone, the discussion around this case showed us we need to press reset on cases like these in a way that's more sensible, clear, and fair. It's probably not a surprise, but the details are hotly debated here at Riot too, and we think the discussion around gameplay agency and teammate pain is important. It's not great to be penalizing people when the rules (hi ancient knowledge base article) aren't all that clear, so Monday night, Player Support lifted the remaining portion of the ban. A bunch of us are meeting early next week to get our shit together, and we'll be talking to you about it sooner rather than later.

subtles

I got some bad news for you.
Nunu.png

Hey everyone, the discussion around this case showed us we need to press reset on cases like these in a way that's more sensible, clear, and fair. It's probably not a surprise, but the details are hotly debated here at Riot too, and we think the discussion around gameplay agency and teammate pain is important. It's not great to be penalizing people when the rules (hi ancient knowledge base article) aren't all that clear, so Monday night, Player Support lifted the remaining portion of the ban. A bunch of us are meeting early next week to get our shit together, and we'll be talking to you about it sooner rather than later.

raw

Ever

Banned
O M E G A L U L
M E G A L U L O
E G A L U L O M
G A L U L O M E
A L U L O M E G
L U L O M E G A
U L O M E G A L
L O M E G A L U

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Wow I'm intentionally making the game bad for my teammates and the enemy team and I got banned??? How was I supposed to know this was a bannable offense????

Quonny

The rules aren't clear right now. And because they aren't clear, they're rescinding the punishment and will give a more definite answer in the following days.

I don't see how that's a bad thing.

Wow I'm intentionally making the game bad for my teammates and the enemy team and I got banned??? How was I supposed to know this was a bannable offense????

you're telling me I can't play teemo every game in whatever lane I like even though rito has enforced the meta consistently for the past couple years even to the point where they pinpoint nerfed meta breaking things like lane swaps?

say it ain't so

Quonny

Y'all be acting like they said that it's okay to troll pick. They just said that the rules aren't clear and that since they aren't clear that it's unfair to ban someone.

They could very well come back next week with a detailed post explaining what the rule is with examples and shit and enforce it from that moment forward.

you're telling me I can't play teemo every game in whatever lane I like even though rito has enforced the meta consistently for the past couple years even to the point where they pinpoint nerfed meta breaking things like lane swaps?

say it ain't so
There's a huge difference between picking an off meta picks - ie Teemo support - and trying to come up with a new role.

I don't necessarily agree with lifting the ban but Riot needs to crack down on this because it's a big grey area.

There's a huge difference between picking an off meta picks - ie Teemo support - and trying to come up with a new role.

I don't necessarily agree with lifting the ban but Riot needs to crack down on this because it's a big grey area.

so you're saying Riot should enforce the meta and cut down on experimentation.

Can't have it both ways! Seriously I always hated how Rito pidgenholed the meta into what it is.

They could very well come back next week with a detailed post explaining what the rule is with examples and shit and enforce it from that moment forward.

And from that moment forward, people who "troll pick" will be breaking a rule, and I won't defend them. The only reason I've been defending the Nunu one trick is because he got punished for breaking a nonexistent rule, not because I support his playstyle.

so you're saying Riot should enforce the meta and cut down on experimentation.

Can't have it both ways! Seriously I always hated how Rito pidgenholed the meta into what it is.
In a solo Q enviroment? Yes they very much should do so. If I'm getting matched with strangers then I want a baseline of what to expect. That said, that doesn't mean there isn't room for experimentation and variety. I'm willing to give things a try as long as they adhere to those baselines - you can pick anything you want top lane as long as you go well, top lane and solo lane there and so on.

In a solo Q enviroment? Yes they very much should do so. If I'm getting matched with strangers then I want a baseline of what to expect.

The only reason you need to have that sterile experience, is because riot has balanced themselves into that corner. The tower changes aimed at killing lane swaps, the way they've constantly tinkered with experience, etc.

And it's lame.

I'd rather have a "sterile" experience than have a 3 lane ARAM meta. I play this to have fun not to enable special snowflakes who want to innovate.

Also I don't understand why you keep harping about lane swaps when they have never been used in regular play and in competitive play they completely killed 1112 becoming THE meta so what Riot did in that situation was the opposite of enforcing the meta.

I'd rather have a "sterile" experience than have a 3 lane ARAM meta. I play this to have fun not to enable special snowflakes who want to innovate.

Also I don't understand why you keep harping about lane swaps when they have never been used in regular play and in competitive play they completely killed 1112 becoming THE meta so what Riot did in that situation was the opposite of enforcing the meta.

It was enroaching solo queue as well. I hated the lane swap meta in ranked back when it was popular, but you know it was part of the game.

And by killing lane swaps, they enforced the 1112 meta..? as far as I know that is STILL the meta. Unless there's a 11111 or its reverted to 212 I don't know of lol? Rito killed the 2111 meta.

It was enroaching solo queue as well. I hated the lane swap meta in ranked back when it was popular, but you know it was part of the game.

And by killing lane swaps, they enforced the 1112 meta..? as far as I know that is STILL the meta. Unless there's a 11111 or its reverted to 212 I don't know of lol? Rito killed the 2111 meta.
No it wasn't lol, you'd see some people try it out and fail miserably but it was never a legit solo Q thing because lane swaps simply don't work without comms. It required careful rotations and warding as a team-wide effort. I can count on my fingers how many times I saw laneswaps in high ELO games in the 3 years they were meta and I have never seen any swaps in my own games.

zkylon

zkylewd
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

"You're not doing anything wrong, but I don't like the way you play, so enjoy the ban"

You guys crack me up sometimes.
it's not "me" that doesn't enjoy it, it's the entire community

to trigger a ban you need to get reported A LOT, if he gets banned it means that people don't like playing with him and whatever defense he finds in the ruleset is more of a loophole than a real argument

it's the "gg ez" thing, you may think it's hilarious and i personally think is kind of hilarious but most people think it's mean so if you say "gg ez" ppl at the end of every game you'll probably get a chat ban

the community decides what they're ok with and what they're not, fake support nunu is not something anyone wants to deal with, so fuck off to the dude that thinks they're above the rest. it's not an "off meta pick", he's actively ruining other people's games

riot undoing the ban cos their rules aren't very clear is fine, even if it's a bit disappointing, but in the end i think it's good that the community decides in these cases what we're all cool with and what we're not

Nobody was coordinated enough to do lane swaps. Riot did not do the tower change to prevent lane swaps in soloqueue. I think you have a valid complaint about balancing to force 1-1-1-2 in competitive, because that's absolutely what the tower changes were aimed at doing. But I never *once* ran into a laneswap in silver and I have trouble believing many other people did.

zkylon

zkylewd
Nobody was coordinated enough to do lane swaps. Riot did not do the tower change to prevent lane swaps in soloqueue. I think you have a valid complaint about balancing to force 1-1-1-2 in competitive, because that's absolutely what the tower changes were aimed at doing. But I never *once* ran into a laneswap in silver and I have trouble believing many other people did.
exactly

riot didn't enforce anything, laneswaps existed for like 3 years and nobody ever laneswapped in solo q

at the same time, laneswaps had grown very predictable and boring to watch, with teams beating each other off who bounced the wave better than actual pvp. at one point there was strategic depth to it, but by the time they killed them there was nothing salvageable

and nowadays there are laneswaps in pro play, it's just not he norm and it usually happens as a reaction to a lane going bad or an imminent dive or whatever. it's often a conscious tradeoff, of teams sometimes giving up bot tower and dragon for top tower in an attempt to cut their losses, and it's way more interesting than before

No it wasn't lol, you'd see some people try it out and fail miserably but it was never a legit solo Q thing because lane swaps simply don't work without comms. It required careful rotations and warding as a team-wide effort. I can count on my fingers how many times I saw laneswaps in high ELO games in the 3 years they were meta and I have never seen any swaps in my own games.

it only worked in competitive and yet they killed it. They buffed top tower. I would say during the hey day of the strat, 1 out of 4 games tried the strat. Maybe it didn't work, but a strat is a strat.

it was a case of riot stifling something different, while it was new. It's a case of killing something that wasn't their definition of meta. And whether it was boring to watch or not, that's not a reason to kill off a strategy. That's just being pedantic on riots part. They killed experimentation, and said 'no you have to play this way.'

zkylon

zkylewd
it only worked in competitive and yet they killed it. They buffed top tower. I would say during the hey day of the strat, 1 out of 4 games tried the strat. Maybe it didn't work, but a strat is a strat.

it was a case of riot stifling something different, while it was new. It's a case of killing something that wasn't their definition of meta. And whether it was boring to watch or not, that's not a reason to kill off a strategy. That's just being pedantic on riots part. They killed experimentation, and said 'no you have to play this way.'

nope, during its entire existence it was in 9/10 games

Breezy do you even watch competitive lol, Riot didn't do anything while it was "new", it took them 3 years of laneswaps being in almost every single game before Riot did anything conclusive about it, every change before that was aimed at making regular lanes equally viable but none of them worked.

Breezy do you even watch competitive lol, Riot didn't do anything while it was "new", it took them 3 years of laneswaps being in almost every single game before Riot did anything conclusive about it, every change before that was aimed at making regular lanes equally viable but none of them worked.

3 years

did we play the same game

when they were meta for a year they were stamped out. It didn't last 3 years in competitive. Conversely, feel free to find me a 2 competitive games 3 years apart before the change.

3 years

did we play the same game

when they were meta for a year they were stamped out. It didn't last 3 years in competitive. Conversely, feel free to find me a 2 competitive games 3 years apart before the change.

They were meta for at least 2 years. What you're remembering is that it started out as a decent strategy, and then as people figured out how to do it well it became the only strategy.

JulianImp

He is such a great counter to the Jhin/Varus/mf meta.

His passive is the greatest thing though. Just land a couple autos and your team can put in some work.

I really can't wrap my head around using him, probably for the same reason I suck at playing Taric and Janna. Having two out of three non-ult abilities that are meant to protect my teammates coupled with being a melee champion makes him really awkard for me. The only thing I actually like about him is his "¡Llegó el bigote!" line that plays when he uses his jump in the latin VOs.

I also finally got m7 on Nami after getting my third S-rank game since I leveled her up to m6. I might be a one-trick pony, but am proud of my performance when playing her. It's also cool that I'm slowly buy surely learning more macro aspects of the game now that I need to devote less of a mindshare to actually playing her compared to other champions.

Top Bottom