• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT2| So free, it's only 8000 USD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I have played Nautilus as a support. Just like you'd play Blitzcrank.
I am really disliking this free week because of people running this actually. Nautilus is a great jungler, not a great support. He has no transition into the mid/late game because he requires farm to be tanky after he initiates. I also think it's pretty easy to avoid his anchor in comparison to Blitz grab. He's supposed to be a kill lane but you can dump on him early game too in my experience.
You inspired me
I am pretty jealous of your V.

bjaelke

I am really disliking this free week because of people running this actually. Nautilus is a great jungler, not a great support. He has no transition into the mid/late game because he requires farm to be tanky on his initiate.

That's because it's free week Nautilus. I don't see how he's different from Blitzcrank/Leona as a support champion. It's about securing those early kills. Otherwise all 3 champions will fall off and become useless later on.

dimb

That's because it's free week Nautilus. I don't see how he's different from Blitzcrank/Leona as a support champion.
I just feel like he needs the farm to be tanky enough to serve his purpose. Nautilus is a great ganker and a great initiator. This makes him an excellent jungler, but as a support it is difficult for him to serve either purpose. On his initiate he'll just get rocked as a support because he'll be underleveled, low on gold, and not building tanky. Blitz and Leona are both champions who don't need stats to do their job, that's why they make good supports, and both offer more CC than Nautilus.

bjaelke

I just feel like he needs the farm to be tanky enough to serve his purpose. Nautilus is a great ganker and a great initiator. This makes him an excellent jungler, but as a support it is difficult for him to serve either purpose. On his initiate he'll just get rocked as a support because he'll be underleveled, low on gold, and not building tanky. Blitz and Leona are both champions who don't need stats to do their job, that's why they make good supports, and both offer more CC than Nautilus.

I'm not saying he's better as a support. I prefer him as a jungler as well. All I'm saying is that he can support sufficiently. He's naturally tanky and have a shield for that extra survivability. After level 6 he doesn't have to initiate with his hook but can instead try to use his ultimate and then follow up with his hook. That doesn't put him in a bad spot compared to just using the hook - at least from my experience.

I tried him the other day after Krepo convinced me to run flat runes instead of scaling runes on support champions. It really made a difference. Was able to take a lot more harass in lane and play more aggressively. You rarely get to the point where scaling runes become better than flat runes because the game will be over when you hit level 14-15.

Feature

Banned
Sion ionic spark OP!
Items:
Ionic spark
Malady
Bloodthirster
Phantom dancer
Attack speed boots
whatever item (I like a 2nd phantom for super run speed + attack speed).

Have some good farm and be the most annoying hero in the game. Uncatchable / mega damage / tower diver / lane pushing bastard!

It's fun when people think they can kill you because you're relativly low, but then you run into their face, stun and use your ult :D

I was standing under their 2 towers at the main inhib getting attacked by 2 guys and I was just healing everything back by hitting the occasional minion and then bashing their faces again.

I am really disliking this free week because of people running this actually. Nautilus is a great jungler, not a great support. He has no transition into the mid/late game because he requires farm to be tanky after he initiates. I also think it's pretty easy to avoid his anchor in comparison to Blitz grab. He's supposed to be a kill lane but you can dump on him early game too in my experience.

You can build three gp10 items on him though, kage/heart/philo and keep kages in your inventory almost the entire game.

I agree he's not the best kill lane support AND he does push the lane pretty bad.

Blizzard

Banned

I am pretty jealous of your V.
Doesn't Nautilus have an even slower walking speed than say, Warwick? Even with shoes he definitely seems really slow, so I'm not sure how good the jungle would be. I agree with you about the farm though, since a Nautilus early game takes a ton of damage, possibly even through the shield. I feel like he needs both HP and magic resist and armor, and if you only build those he will not do damage, so you would need stuff like rod of ages, abyssal scepter, etc.

The CC is decent in theory, since he has AA snare + Q pull/disable + E slow + R knockup. That is quite a bit of CC as champions go.

EXGN

Oh god I simply hate my normal ELO right now. I've been on a losing streak lately and thus have sunk so low that most games don't even have junglers, so I often find myself fighting for CS bot lane.

Also, I've become enamored with the idea of maximizing Graves' innate tankiness with an Aegis. I know that it's not optimal at all, but I really can't trust anyone to help me unless I'm queueing with someone. So GAF, would it kill you to be AFK a bit less often? Thanks!

If you're that concerned about tankiness, just get Mercury Treads, 3 Dorans and Wriggles. Gives the same basic stats of Aegis and they are actually decent items on Graves (well, sans the Mercury, ideally you want Greaves, but IMO this build is 100% better than Aegis.)

I feel the pains playing with randoms, but Aegis should never be built on Graves, it's a waste of money.

bjaelke

Doesn't Nautilus have an even slower walking speed than say, Warwick? Even with shoes he definitely seems really slow, so I'm not sure how good the jungle would be.
Nautilus has several gap closers and a strong cc kit. He doesn't rely on speed in the same way Warwick, Udyr, Skarner and Shyvana do in order to gank.
I agree with you about the farm though, since a Nautilus early game takes a ton of damage, possibly even through the shield. I feel like he needs both HP and magic resist and armor, and if you only build those he will not do damage, so you would need stuff like rod of ages, abyssal scepter, etc.

The CC is decent in theory, since he has AA snare + Q pull/disable + E slow + R knockup. That is quite a bit of CC as champions go.
The idea behind doing a kill lane (support Leona, Blitzcrank or in this case Nautilus) is to get an advantage early on. All non-heal supports become useless in team fights if they're underfarmed. Maybe they'll have one ability that has some kind of impact during the team fights, but they'll still be at a disadvantage. You don't need any magic resist on your bot lane champions (ad carry or support) before the team fights. The only damage you'll receive will be from the enemy ad carry, so you can just stack flat armor runes. This should give you 40+ armor without any items at level 1.

Marks: flat armor
Seals: flat armor
Glyphs: ap/level
Quints: gp/10

After the laning phase you'll have Aegis and Merc Treads adding 50 MR to your build.

Love playing bumper cars!

CmZIT.png

Lux really hurts, making me want to fill the last slot with Negatron->FoN but I ended up keeping it empty for wards. Shurelia+Randuin+Ghost+Q+W+R when hard cc'd = practically ensures escapes. Alistar is an amazing champ for support.

dimb

Doesn't Nautilus have an even slower walking speed than say, Warwick?
He doesn't need it for his ganks/teamfights because of how punishing his slow/CC is. Boots of Mobility actually seem pretty great on him through because they get you ganking even faster and you just fly right in past the wards.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
And unfortunately, two out of every three that do know will end up failing the combo and saving the enemy.
So true.

I never actually fail after landing the W. The only place I fail it is when they walk out of Headbutt range and I still mash Q. So the Headbutt doesn't go off and I basically just Pulverize the ground where I'm standing for no reason

EXGN

And unfortunately, two out of every three that do know will end up failing the combo and saving the enemy.

In defense of all us Alis who fuck it up, it's almost impossible be to do unless you have less than 100 ping or are doing the headbutt at full range.

EXGN

It has nothing to do with ping, and a lot easier with smart cast off.

For me, it seems any sort of animation delay makes it more difficult to time. I used to live in Cali and I could do it perfectly like 90 percent of the time, but ever since moving back east my success rate has dropped significantly. Ping went from like 60 to 130-140, seemed like a factor to me.

Blizzard

Banned
I would just keep mashing Q as soon as I clicked for W, and that seemed to work okay. I don't like doing that though, so I just adopt the lame approach of figuring in most cases I won't try the combo unless there's a wall behind them anyway. I -think- I typically had 87 ms ping or so, but since (Rayven?) the ping tooltip apparently got broken a few patches back, I don't even know anymore.

ElectraStar

I really enjoyed last night's arab games on the Crystal Scar. I still have no fuckin' idea how to play TF (all my wild cards were lucky shots, and I never react in time to get the damn yellow card!) Jax I got the hang of by the end of te second game, though. Jumping over everyone to get to dat Gragas was pretty tricky!

That said, I think aram/arab are the only way to go in terms of in-house games. Otherwise people get too angry at each other, or talk too much unessecary crap.

Blizzard

Banned
I really enjoyed last night's arab games on the Crystal Scar. I still have no fuckin' idea how to play TF (all my wild cards were lucky shots, and I never react in time to get the damn yellow card!) Jax I got the hang of by the end of te second game, though. Jumping over everyone to get to dat Gragas was pretty tricky!

That said, I think aram/arab are the only way to go in terms of in-house games. Otherwise people get too angry at each other, or talk too much unessecary crap.
All random can still make people rage since one team will get kogmaw in aram (lolz 37 kills or whatever the other day), or it'll be ranged versus a bunch of melee. Overall I agree though. I prefer semi-silly teams where I can play a fun champion and/or one I don't use much, where people are laughing at crazy antics, over games where people are yelling at each other and rage-defriending.

brian!

All random can still make people rage since one team will get kogmaw in aram (lolz 37 kills or whatever the other day), or it'll be ranged versus a bunch of melee. Overall I agree though. I prefer semi-silly teams where I can play a fun champion and/or one I don't use much, where people are laughing at crazy antics, over games where people are yelling at each other and rage-defriending.

the reason I get 37 killz is cuz im sik

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I bought Kog when he was on sale the other week and have barely played him. I can't last hit with him too well, I hate his animation.

Also, I can't stop spamming SHIFT+1 when I play him

dimb

I guess free Leblanc/Galio week is Riot's way of dealing with free Ahri week.

ElectraStar

Ya more arabs would be fun. Yorick was pretty nuts during it... teemo... not so good.
Out of context it sounds like we are talking about arabic people (who, from my own experience, are totally a hoot!)

Next week's free champions according to reddit/lol korea:
Quote:
Galio
Graves
Le Blanc
Soraka
Shen
Skarner
Ahri
Warwick
Katarina
Kog'Maw
Balls! I just bought him! (not that he was expensive). I'm excited to try out Ahri, though!

Edit: And Skarner, too! (Here comes Junglestar throwing the game off for GAF!)

Looking forward to trying out Galio myself... crazy MR builds should be a fun change from Dorans->Deathcap on almost every AP.

Edit: I bought Skarner last weekend and have been only playing him whenever I have to jungle. He's actually pretty boring to play, but it's taught me a lot about how terrible I am at jungling.

Ferrio

Banned
Looking forward to trying out Galio myself... crazy MR builds should be a fun change from Dorans->Deathcap on almost every AP.

Edit: I bought Skarner last weekend and have been only playing him whenever I have to jungle. He's actually pretty boring to play, but it's taught me a lot about how terrible I am at jungling.

He is boring. W QQQQQQQQQQQQ W QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ W QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ W QQQQQQQQQQQQQQ R QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ

JesseZao

Galio is a lot of fun mid. He starts out sluggish (although his Q is strong from the start), but once you hit 4 or 5 and get at least a chalice, you don't have a lot of trouble farming.

I really want to buy Ahri, so I'm glad she'd back in the free rotation. Looking forward to Shen and Skarner too.

Blizzard

Banned
Maybe the theory about all random all bot being fun is not true. We had two 4v4's tonight and both games someone went afk in the second half. :/ They may have just been busy or lagged out though. One person said they were "SO spooked" which sounds like it might be a fun story. :O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom