• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT2| So free, it's only 8000 USD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JesseZao

It's been every 2 weeks since I started playing in Sept I think.

Finally got to try Riven. Early game is so strong. Is exhaust a good idea for her to secure early kills or should I just run flash/ignite? (I wouldn't normally use two offensive summoners, since you can get caught late game.)

Desaan

Finally got to try Riven. Early game is so strong. Is exhaust a good idea for her to secure early kills or should I just run flash/ignite? (I wouldn't normally use two offensive summoners, since you can get caught late game.)

I prefer exhaust over ignite simply because it can make an attacker think twice and retreat whilst laning. The debuff to damage is nothing to be sniffed at either meaning you get to at least keep flash up for when the jungler comes for the inevitable gank. Ignite is great for securing a kill during a dive but I'd rather have the extra survivability.

Apollyon

Neo Member
Stoofoo here. GGs to the Gaffers I played with last night (I'm bad with names), even though I frankly played like shit. Again, it's been almost two months since I played last, so I have vast amounts of practice I need to put in, with more champs and more roles to play.

Despite that, I still had some fun, and I'm finding myself readjusting to LoL (and the self-torture of solo queue) sooner than I thought. I've taken a new liking to Miss Fortune, and I don't know why I stopped playing her around 4 months back. I picked her up again, and it was like I never forgot how to play her at all.

Let's do it again sometime. And I promise to have Mumble up and running next time we play. :D

Blizzard

Banned

In my last 50 or so Riven games I think I pretty much always ran flash ignite for the extra damage. I could see how exhaust could be good as an escape or to help gank someone though, so I might try that.

Good luck with your Riven endeavors, and please don't win too much so she doesn't get nerfed more. =( Let me know if you ever fight a good cho'gath or gangplank, that sucks.

Ferrio

Banned
Personally, I cannot wait for this day.

Agreed. Atma's Impaler is such a stupid item. It requires no thought at all, even if you don't build any health at all it's still cost effective (even as someone like vayne, but not her best choice) which is pretty stupid.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Most powerful role in the game is mages/AD ranged and you guys still complain about Atma's and bruisers.

Ferrio

Banned
Most powerful role in the game is mages/AD ranged and you guys still complain about Atma's and bruisers.

I complain about it not cause I really think it's overpowered. I complain cause I think it's a lame and boring item. And as long as your character does AD damage, if you get it you'll still do decent. It's a very knee jerk "I don't know what to build, so I'll do atmas!".

Blizzard

Banned
I feel like people mostly build the same thing anyway. I mean, they could randomly add and delete items every week or two so people don't consider having the same item selection boring, but that might not be very nice of them.

dimb

I complain about it not cause I really think it's overpowered. I complain cause I think it's a lame and boring item. And as long as your character does AD damage, if you get it you'll still do decent. It's a very knee jerk "I don't know what to build, so I'll do atmas!".
How is it any different than supports and Shurelia's? Literally every support has the same start if you want to talk about brain dead builds. Same thing with mages. You're stacking Doran's, or building the same AP items like Rabadon's and Rylai's.

Ferrio

Banned
How is it any different than supports and Shurelia's? Literally every support has the same start if you want to talk about brain dead builds. Same thing with mages. You're stacking Doran's, or building the same AP items like Rabadon's and Rylai's.

I don't always get the same AP or support items. But if i get a frozen mallet or warmogs i *always* get an atmas. To me it should be like manamune or something. An item only certain characters get and benefit greatly from.

MultiCore

I think the items are a funny thing.

Is it surprising that each character in a given role builds similar items?
How would it be different if each character had totally unique items, but they ultimately gave the same end result?

Would you be more interested if any character could ultimately take any role? Want to start seeing BT and PD on morg? Rabadon's on Sivir? Not sure if that's better.

The real wrench in the gears are the unpopular items that people either don't get, get because they don't know what else to get, or get because they want to experiment.
Things like malady, nashor's tooth, stinger, Moonflair Spellblade, ect. People buying the 'wrong' items can totally break their game, if they would have otherwise done ok. I realize it's a learning experience, but the only way to stay competitive if you're new is to use a guide... and as a new person it may be a while before someone screams at your crazy build and tells you to find one.

I think the 'recommended items' are certainly a source of confusion or frustration for a lot of new people as well. With the exception of Morgana(or a select few others(out of 90+ champs), most 'recommended item' lists are ignored for the most part. Then why are they 'recommended'?

Of course, all this is moot for experienced players. They know what the items do, and the know what the best value for MR, Armour, AR Pen., ect is if they need to counter the other team.

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot, but I think the game needs to lay out what items are likely to have a positive impact for each champ a little better, and maybe the ability to find a particular item a little easier. (Search box, like the one during champ bans?)

I think Viktor's item is interesting, but then he has 1 less inventory slot. Perhaps it should have multiple upgrades, to provide for more immediate incremental upgrades, but still retain the whole 'once you pick a path you're stuck' thing.

Aside from smart play, knowing when to get each item, and when it can provide the most benefit, is currently something that can only be learned from lots of reading, playing many many matches, and/or watching pro streamers for a while. The only way LoL will last more than a few years is to keep bringing in new players, and that won't happen if the barrier to entry is too high. I feel these sorts of considerations are important for ensuring the longevity of this game.

*shrug*

XeroSauce

Tenacity items should be exempt because they have to exist in order for them to give us more tenacity options then Merc Treads.

In reality, recommended items are trash, but they have useful "paths" to lead players to certain items or subitems that might interest them.

I always tell my friends when they start out, spend 4-5 minutes and just go through the store, and read what the items do and how much they cost. Know to get a RoA vs. a Rabadons can be a game-changer for newbs.

Riot has be slightly active in changing the recommended items for some of the more outdated characters but they don't want to change anything fundamental about their original item sets for the champ.

They definitely need a better interface though. A search bar, a quick link bar, there have been tons of ideas and mock-ups already.

VALKYRAY

Banned
I built a garen with boots, atma, frozen and 3 warmogs. His attack was only 270 something. Spin to win wasn't as powerful as an infinity edge build. But he sure was a gaint meatball, whole team burnt everything on me and I still lived

ElectraStar

Two of the five fails are Fiddle ults. What's up with that?!

Also,
gragas-screenshot3.jpg

Somebody please buy this!

Z1tmK.jpg

This was an epic comeback. Took awhile to get game started since people dodged three times. Then finally when match started we took a nice lead (4-1). Somehow though because of bad jungle routes and the other team doing some good team ganks (lack of wards on our team) it turned 6-15 though we did have two dragons. We lost tier two towers and almost lost our mid inhibitor and the enemy team got first baron. This is where the other team basically got a little too greedy and some good team gameplay we made a push back. around 37-38 we see the team go for second baron and with some nice kennen/gargas ults we punish get baron/ace and push to win. ends 41-39 and a very salty enemy team not returning our GG's.

VALKYRAY

Banned
I want to know how that Teemo got such a good ratio with such terrible farm.

one kill = 12-20 creep kills (depends on the bounty). teemo had the highest kill count on his team, he probably killed the the champion with highest bounty on the enemy team multiple times.
garen probably killed the same guy over and over to the point that champion only worth as much as a normal creep

dimb

Tried Nautilus for the first time, really fun to play. Great ganks, great initiate, decent disruption. Couldn't carry hard enough though even with high numbers, and his late game isn't great. Doesn't help when your Irelia loses to Rammus top though.

Somax

What do you guys think about Volibear?
Right now I'm doing quite good with him (usually top or jungle) with something like spirit visage / warmog or frozen mallet / atma's impaler / ionic spark...
The W damage is quite brutal, and the attack speed boost helps very much.

At the moment he is my 2nd favorite pick for solo top, when Shen is banned (which means: almost every single game)...

ElectraStar

I landed in a bad time last night where the usual suspects were taking a break or having a life, so I solo queued.

First game, blind picked it. Their Orianna disconnected. 4v5 = easysauce, right? WRONG. I thought Lux was going to support me (as Ashe) bot, but instead she went mid only to feed Fiora a kill every other minute. I honestly did not know how she was physically capable of dying so fast. Meanwhile, Sion and I are competing for CS down bot, and although we are zoning JIV completely out I can't do much damage with no items... Nevertheless, when we team fought we had the extra body (because that's all Lux was), so we could still win. But instead of staying grouped and pushing shit, Garen and Lux thought it was an awesome idea to wander the jungle around looking for them. Needless to say everyone on the other team got fed and we couldn't do anything.

Second game, I figured I may have a slightly better team comp with draft pick. I decide to try our Ryze, and thanks to some well-placed ganks manage to obliterate their Veigar. However, the other team had a low-level summoner who played support (makes sense); but ours decides to go top and feed the shit out of Fiddlesticks. So after a while I tell him to switch, and though I manage to survive, I can barely farm let alone stop him from ganking mid (even though I continuously ping like a madwoman, this Mundo keeps up the feedfest).
Meanwhile, there is an AD Kennen + Alistar are doing okay bot. As soon as AD Kennen leaves lane, however, he becomes a lot less important: I'd watch him do some great baits/ganks that resulted in nothing (or worse) because his spells did zero dmg... I honestly don't see the point in AD Kennen. I mean, I get that pro teams are doing it and what-not, but that doesn't mean it's always the best option, especially when every unskilled bozo on LoL thinks they can do it.
When we surrended, I had a score of 5/2 - by far the best on the team - and shitty cs because I was too busy trying to help out that effin' Mundo.

That said, this game utterly frustrates me sometimes. My win/loss ratio is shit, and 95% of the time, it's genuinely not my fault. I really don't understand how I can get better at this game when the randoms I end up with are truly uncarriable, whether I'm solo queuing or with fellow GAFFERS. Even if I learn all of the hard carries in the game, this is still a team game in the end. It's seriously starting to kill the fun of playing :(

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Dear LoL-GAF,

I need your help. I never play AD Carry Bot, and I want to start. Problem is I need a champ to play with. Preferably someone who is a ranged AD Carry. I currently have over 3k IP so I can either buy someone from the 3100 level down or save up for the 6400 level.

Other option is I could just grab and play Ashe (yeah yeah I haven't bought her yet) for 450 and just play her while I save up 6400 IP. I figure Ashe got le buffed recently so it might not be that bad. At the 6400 level I was thinking about getting Graves. At the 3100 level I was thinking Twitch though I hear Twitch isn't that good right now.

What say you supreme LoL-GAF beings?

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Good (and cheap) AD carries:

Sivir (450 IP)
Tristana (free if you like their Facebook page)

Twitch is trash tier don't even bother with him.

Volimar

Dear LoL-GAF,

I need your help. I never play AD Carry Bot, and I want to start. Problem is I need a champ to play with. Preferably someone who is a ranged AD Carry. I currently have over 3k IP so I can either buy someone from the 3100 level down or save up for the 6400 level.

Other option is I could just grab and play Ashe (yeah yeah I haven't bought her yet) for 450 and just play her while I save up 6400 IP. I figure Ashe got le buffed recently so it might not be that bad. At the 6400 level I was thinking about getting Graves. At the 3100 level I was thinking Twitch though I hear Twitch isn't that good right now.

What say you supreme LoL-GAF beings?

Ashe is a good starting point. She'll help you learn more map awareness with that arrow of hers. As said above, Sivir is also good. I'm not so good with Trist though...

>.>

Caitlyn is also fun. Graves is....well he's okay. Not great. Same with MF. Twitch, if properly fed, will fuck people up during laning but he's not very useful for teamfights except to pick off the weaker people in the back.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Thanks for the replies everyone! I think I'll just buy Ashe on the cheap and save up for a 6400 champ.

BTW just ended a duo que game with a friend. He goes 17/3/4 as Trist and our Sion is QQing that my buddy sucks the whole game. Of course we got barron and steam rolled them at the end. Even after Sion still QQ'd. Sion was only 2/7/10 anyways.

Inskipp

I highly recommend Tristana via the facebook- thing. She is an excellent carry in my opinion. Has a very strong early game (you can form kill-lanes with the right support) and can be devastating in lategame.

Apollyon

Neo Member
*snipped Solo Queue horror story*

That said, this game utterly frustrates me sometimes. My win/loss ratio is shit, and 95% of the time, it's genuinely not my fault. I really don't understand how I can get better at this game when the randoms I end up with are truly uncarriable, whether I'm solo queuing or with fellow GAFFERS. Even if I learn all of the hard carries in the game, this is still a team game in the end. It's seriously starting to kill the fun of playing :(

You shouldn't let this discourage you from playing. Understand that everyone here in this thread has gone through the same, likely still are dealing with the same BS whenever they hop into Solo Queue. Really, the level of stupidity can get so bad in Solo Queue that I wouldn't blame you or anyone else that tunes out other players with /ignore all right after the game starts. Certainly keeps things more quiet.

The way I see it is, as long as you are learning from your mistakes and are aiming to become a better player, you should focus on that. At the same time, leave the truly shitheaded -- the backseat players, the players that feed and blameshift from their own mistakes, the players that bitch in the chat more than they actually play -- to their own failures until/if they learn and decide to improve.

Wrekt

I wouldn't blame you or anyone else that tunes out other players with /ignore all right after the game starts.

Does /ignore all turn off their pings as well? I'd want to keep that people unmuted for that reason.

I recall a game I was playing as Ezreal and we had a Cait go mid. He must have pinged a thousand times in the first 10 minutes of the game. I couldn't tell if his lane was coming down to gank, if he wanted a CV or if he had a low hp champ ad wanted me to ult. Most of the time he was pinging just to ping. I know Cait is a boring champ, but he could have found something more constructive to do. I just can't remember if a standard /ignore blocked the pings or if there was some other setting I found.

ElectraStar

You shouldn't let this discourage you from playing. Understand that everyone here in this thread has gone through the same, likely still are dealing with the same BS whenever they hop into Solo Queue. Really, the level of stupidity can get so bad in Solo Queue that I wouldn't blame you or anyone else that tunes out other players with /ignore all right after the game starts. Certainly keeps things more quiet.

The way I see it is, as long as you are learning from your mistakes and are aiming to become a better player, you should focus on that. At the same time, leave the truly shitheaded -- the backseat players, the players that feed and blameshift from their own mistakes, the players that bitch in the chat more than they actually play -- to their own failures until/if they learn and decide to improve.

Well, the problem is that sometimes I have nothing to learn because the people on my team (as was the case last night) are just plain retarded, and I feel like I'm literally wasting time. I think it's just a sign that I should cut down on my gaming, and only play when the usual GAF suspects are on. Thanks for the pep talk, though :D

ElectraStar:
"Story of how I miss playing with AcridMeat and he needs to play with me and carry"

That's how I read it, anyhow.

Haha, I love you, too! I'd like to see you carry me ;)

Flare

So while playing blind pick I got paired in mid with a Yorick as Kennen. Just looking at that setup, who would you say should win that lane? (He got blue sometimes and had the heal spell).

Bonus Question: How does one counter Yorick besides not getting close enough to recieve a ghoul in the face and out-ranging him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom