• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT2| So free, it's only 8000 USD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

You have no armor, how did Jayce/Olaf/Twitch not destroy you? Good mushroom placement? Now I want to play Teemo top lane. :(

The better question would be what was that Jayce trying to build towards.

Edit: Also, MR helps vs Jayce's Hammer E and the Hammer on-hit R buff. If they can't aim their Cannon E -> Q, you're really just worried about autos as far as Jayce physical is concerned since Hammer Q doesn't hit _that_ hard.

zkylon

zkylewd
Hmm, if you're rushing sorc shoes then that also explains some of your mana problems. For your typical mana based AP carry (with some exceptions) try backing for the first time when you can afford 2 doran's rings and a ward. The doran's rings will give you more health, mana regen and cheap AP. Your next back should be sorc shoes and start your first "big" item. Doran's rings aren't just about damage - they give sustain in the form of health and mana regen.
I should've mentioned I do buy Doran's Rings as I see fit, though I almost never do two in one trip. I'll try it.

Achtius

The better question would be what was that Jayce trying to build towards.

Edit: Also, MR helps vs Jayce's Hammer E and the Hammer on-hit R buff. If they can't aim their Cannon E -> Q, you're really just worried about autos as far as Jayce physical is concerned since Hammer Q doesn't hit _that_ hard.

you guys are over thinking it, it's elo hell.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
This is honestly why I'm not even going to bother learning any of the super common bans (e.g., Soraka, Shen, Twisted Fate) until after I have at least 2-3 champs per role first.
Your loss. Nobody even bans TF at low levels of play. It also hurts you because you have to ban them out or you risk the other team picking them up. Also nobody bans Soraka anymore unless you really want to play Lulu or something. There are more dangerous supports.

Rumble is broken right now. Low ELO just hasn't figured it out yet and won't ban him.

For Ahri I typically start a couple doran's rings if I'm laning well and getting good cs. If I'm getting harassed too much or lots of enemy jungler activity, I'll go with a hextech revolver for the extra sustain. From there I usually go sorc shoes then either Rylai's or Abyssal scepter into Rabadon's. I will sometimes finish the hextech into Will of the Ancients if there's more AP on the team.

I rarely rush Rabadon's. Only if I'm ahead by a lot. With the true damage, Ahri does pretty good damage without the extra AP (if I recall her ratios are pretty low to boot) and the tankiness + slows of Rylai's help a lot.

Situational I'll build a Zyona's after Rylai or Abyssal.

Another item I see frequently on her (but I don't build) is a Death Fire Grasp. She's an assassin so it helps burn down a target.

I can't think of a situation I'd build an Athene's.

edit: I wish Scarra would stream more. He is the number 1 most informative streamer. He has a constant commentary on the gameplay and never rages. He's like a model top 10 player. I love Aphro's stream because he's either hilarious or actually laying down some good commentary on a role I can still learn so much about. The only other streamer I watch regularly is Ocelote. He usually has some good music and is just really entertaining to listen to while I'm working.

Scarra is the best commentary. I love how he straight up acknowledges his mistakes and talks about why he made them. Like you say, a model player.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Thanks for the Ahri ideas. I usually rush Sorc's Boots and then Rab's with every AP carry simply because I don't really notice the damage increase on other items as much as I do with those two. Athene is pretty much because I love it on Lux and with Ahri I feel like I'm on cooldown way more often than I should, and mana problems, etc. Again, this is bound to change as/if I get better with her.

Just go boot, 2 doran, rylais, sorc, hourglass, void/abyssal. I don't really like spell vamp on her, if you want sustain just buy a few pots and pay attention to her passive, rylais should be top prioity. You can get deathcap instead of hourglass if the other team ignore you.

Athene is only good if you fed opponent, against double ap team, or leblan. Don't harass with Q too much, Q push minion wave, and opponent will bully you when you running low on mana. Focus on punishing opponent last hitting with auto attack, and land a Q when their movement become predictable (ex. running away from your auto attack).

CDR is really a wasted stats in lane, since most lane fight you blow your full combo + ignite, and either 1) they died, or 2) they go back to base and return with full health. You will have blue buff most of time anyway, if you need cdr for teamfight, just get dfg.

zkylon

zkylewd
Just go boot, 2 doran, rylais, sorc, hourglass, void/abyssal. I don't really like spell vamp on her, if you want sustain just buy a few pots and pay attention to her passive, rylais should be top prioity. You can get deathcap instead of hourglass if the other team ignore you.

Athene is only good if you fed opponent, against double ap team, or leblan. Don't harass with Q too much, Q push minion wave, and opponent will bully you when you running low on mana. Focus on punishing opponent last hitting with auto attack, and land a Q when their movement become predictable (ex. running away from your auto attack).

CDR is really a wasted stats in lane, since most lane fight you blow your full combo + ignite, and either 1) they died, or 2) they go back to base and return with full health. You will have blue buff most of time anyway, if you need cdr for teamfight, just get dfg.
Makes sense. I forgot DFG gave you CDR...

scy

Your loss. Nobody even bans TF at low levels of play. It also hurts you because you have to ban them out or you risk the other team picking them up. Also nobody bans Soraka anymore unless you really want to play Lulu or something. There are more dangerous supports.

How exactly is it my loss to learn them after I get a few champions for their roles down first? I'm already near that point now and I'm not even into ranked games yet. I also kind of thought banning would've been a bigger deal from 1-30 when I made that call.

Though I do agree that Soraka isn't that great in general. I don't even like her much so I doubt I'll play her that often anyway.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
How exactly is it my loss to learn them after I get a few champions for their roles down first? I'm already near that point now and I'm not even into ranked games yet. I also kind of thought banning would've been a bigger deal from 1-30 when I made that call.

Though I do agree that Soraka isn't that great in general. I don't even like her much so I doubt I'll play her that often anyway.

Soraka is my main support cuz I suck with every other support. LOLOL

dimb

How exactly is it my loss to learn them after I get a few champions for their roles down first?
Because they're important champions to know and be able to play. It's like not owning Morgana and being able to play her when you need her just because she gets banned a lot. There will be times when you want to pick her, she's a strong choice, and you can't.

It's the same thing with Rumble right now. You can win your lane easily even against the people who should be counters. If you don't have him you have to ban him. I get sad when the people who play top say they don't own Rumble because it just means our team might have to deal with him. Even before he was a really flexible pick. Same thing goes for most top picks. If they get through and people can play them you'll get wrecked.

scy

Soraka is my main support cuz I suck with every other support. LOLOL

I was going to edit that to "not that scary" but, alas, quoted! :x She's solid, I just don't really think she's something that I fear. Though, I do hate globals in general just because how people react to them.

Because they're important champions to know and be able to play. It's like not owning Morgana and being able to play her when you need her just because she gets banned a lot. There will be times when you want to pick her, she's a strong choice, and you can't.

This makes no sense. I never said anything even remotely close to this. I just said that I'm not going to make my primary champion, or at least the first one I learn, to be one that's banned a lot. That has literally nothing to do with what you're saying at all.

I'm not even planning on doing ranked until I buy/know nearly every champion. I'm not an idiot.

Edit: Put another way, you're right, don't go into ranked when you can be banned out and be prepared to know matchups so you can effectively play what is needed based on team comp or for counter-picking your lane. That's totally my plan. I just decided to start learning champs that won't be banned first so I'll always have options in the case something else gets banned out. But, ultimately, this shouldn't matter by the time I get to ranked / to a decent ELO as I should own nearly all the champs and have some experience with them.

dimb

I don't usually take lower level players into account. You can do whatever you feel like and should just be learning stuff. You probably won't own that many champs and you certainly don't need like half of them to do ranked. A lot of the super common bans are super common bans because they're easy to play. Like Morgana is a really good way to learn mid lane at a certain level of play. Low IP cost, safe laner, easy farm, teaches good team fight fundamentals. Same goes for champs like Malphite. Avoiding learning/buying champions because they get banned is just a something that sets you back.

dimb

It's okay. Soda assumes everyone is weak or a lower level elo player.
There are no GAF regulars I would consider to be really strong players. I try to get better and like getting advice on how to improve. Other people get mad and take it too personally when advice or criticism is offered. What do you want me to say?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
It's okay. Soda assumes everyone is weak or a lower level elo player.

But he is not wrong.

Avoid learning banned champions is a stupid idea. Those are the champions you want to play as and face against. This is why I largely stuck with normal blind, even when they introduced draft.

He is under this notion that he will be able to climb up this hole some 90 champions deep, full rune pages, and thousands of hours of experience. And his method is to basically pick underpowered champions that most don't ban, aka don't play. Its inane.

Outside of the ban meta-game. Lets just talk about how important that is too.
You are first pick, and you don't have Rumble. Current Flavor of the month lets say. You have to ban it or risk the other team getting it. Your first banned is first while the other team can be more selective and personal to their team's choosing. You have it, but can't play it, but you have the best Rumble player in the world with your 3rd teammate. Pick him. You can pass him down. This would either force the other team to choose between him and maybe Ahri. So you still could get a dominate player. This happens many times with like tanks. There maybe 3 top tier ones and two get banned and you have to choose between the most powerful AD carry and most powerful tank. They will get one or the other.

Games are won and lost at banning and this is just a few quick ideas on it. I could probably come up with pages of examples from my games where bans played an important factor. And just downplaying it by saying, I'll just pick non-banned champions, already puts your team at a disadvantage.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
But he is not wrong.

Avoid learning banned champions is a stupid idea. Those are the champions you want to play as and face against. This is why I largely stuck with normal blind, even when they introduced draft.

He is under this notion that he will be able to climb up this hole some 90 champions deep, full rune pages, and thousands of hours of experience. And his method is to basically pick underpowered champions that most don't ban, aka don't play. Its inane.

Outside of the ban meta-game. Lets just talk about how important that is too.

Scy gave a full explanation on his sitatuation and how he viewed it. In a way, knowing a banned champion is good but what good is knowing it if you're not going to have the chance to use it. In a best case scenario it's best to know ALL champions. However, given time constraints and other factors, whatever they may be, it's better to choose a champion that isn't commonly banned and learn it. No?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Scy gave a full explanation on his sitatuation and how he viewed it. In a way, knowing a banned champion is good but what good is knowing it if you're not going to have the chance to use it. In a best case scenario it's best to know ALL champions. However, given time constraints and other factors, whatever they may be, it's better to choose a champion that isn't commonly banned and learn it. No?
Its better to just learn who you want to play, but this is something you'll have to deal with.

And I'm going to be honest, you can either deal with it now. Or be like me where it fucked you over in the end and I got to a point where it became impossible for me to learn jungle under normal circumstances.

scy

But he is not wrong.

Who knew that wording it that way would cause this. I chose to not rely on commonly banned champs when I started (which, for the record, was a month ago) since I was under the assumption that I'd face bans more often. I didn't want to be put in the situation that I got banned out because I only learned something that would be commonly removed from me. This way, I forced myself to know my backups and then the common meta rather than have the meta and work on my backups when I'm forced into that situation.

And his method is to basically pick underpowered champions that most don't ban, aka don't play. Its inane.

Whoa now. Who the fuck said this? I've learned about 20-some champs and they're all common picks. I just didn't learn the common bans first. I know most of them fairly well by now.

If I were to do things over, I'd probably not care (and I really wish I didn't since Shen and TF were on sale around when I started) since banning is irrelevant pre-30 and I wasn't really aware of that going in.

You are first pick, and you don't have Rumble. Current Flavor of the month lets say. You have to ban it or risk the other team getting it. Your first banned is first while the other team can be more selective and personal to their team's choosing. You have it, but can't play it, but you have the best Rumble player in the world with your 3rd teammate. Pick him. You can pass him down. This would either force the other team to choose between him and maybe Ahri. So you still could get a dominate player. This happens many times with like tanks. There maybe 3 top tier ones and two get banned and you have to choose between the most powerful AD carry and most powerful tank. They will get one or the other.

Games are won and lost at banning and this is just a few quick ideas on it. I could probably come up with pages of examples from my games where bans played an important factor. And just downplaying it by saying, I'll just pick non-banned champions, already puts your team at a disadvantage.

Are you assuming I'm the stupidest person in the world? What does any of this have to do with me deciding to buy Shen as my third Jungler as opposed to first? I understand very well how the meta operates and how important the banning/pick order is. I understand that being stuck unable to pick a good champion because "derp, he's too good so I didn't get him" is stupid. Which is why I'm not doing that. Which is why nobody with an ounce of common sense does that.

And I'm going to be honest, you can either deal with it now. Or be like me where it fucked you over in the end and I got to a point where it became impossible for me to learn jungle under normal circumstances.

I definitely agree with this. There's no reason to not learn earlier than later. It'll just make the climb that much harder, especially if you're stuck having to learn basic mechanics of the role on top of the champ themselves.

Ferrio

Banned
There are no GAF regulars I would consider to be really strong players. I try to get better and like getting advice on how to improve. Other people get mad and take it too personally when advice or criticism is offered. What do you want me to say?

That's all fine, but the same time you don't ever see the point from any body elses view. Take a funny example the other day. Someone on our team warned you that you should watch out for a red invasion. You pretty much laughed as said they were full of shit. Turns out he was right, and there went first blood.

Now, I'm not calling you out on dying cause that shit happens no big deal. But to wave your teammate off like that without a second thought and to be quite harsh about it is pretty crappy. I mean they were only giving you advice.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com

Alistar, Morgana, Shen are all instant ban champion, but we see them in draft game all the time. People often left those champ for the other team to ban so they can save their ban on potential counter pick. If the other team doesn't ban them, just pick them up for easy win.

p.s. you guys are putting too much emotion in this.

dimb

That's all fine, but the same time you don't ever see the point from any body elses view. Take a funny example the other day. Someone on our team warned you that you should watch out for a red invasion. You pretty much laughed as said they were full of shit. Turns out he was right, and there went first blood.
It was a low possibility. End of the day my reaction time to it was fine but the person with me got caught out. No real reason to have been standing there and I accept that. Was I still watching for it? Yes.

Ferrio

Banned
Alistar, Morgana, Shen are all instant ban champion, but we see them in draft game all the time. People often left those champ for the other team to ban so they can save their ban on potential counter pick. If the other team doesn't ban them, just pick them up for easy win.

p.s. you guys are putting too much emotion in this.

A fraction of the emotions that are exhibited in game! This is quite civilized!

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
So guild wars 2 and planetside, who's in come release/beta?

Guardian for sure in GW2, not sure about my race. Sylvari look neat but I might just go boring human.

Achtius

naGAFwin.png

Boken

Banned
Okay I am weak, I am going to get the panda teemo skin when it is on sale =/
Buy it right now.
So guild wars 2 and planetside, who's in come release/beta?
Is Planetside going to be good? I'm more of a solo player too. Poorfate and I should team up to snipe at squads.

P.S. I'm always right when I say stuff about LoL.
So listen to me, soda

also, rumble's Q is doing too much damage atm because they fixed how it ticks.

Ferrio

Banned
Buy it right now.

Is Planetside going to be good? I'm more of a solo player too. Poorfate and I should team up to snipe at squads.

So listen to me, soda

also, rumble's Q is doing too much damage atm because they fixed how it ticks.

It's doing too much because they fixed it? How's that work? What'd they do?

dimb

I should probably feel bad about abusing Rumble right now, but it's hard to when every other top laner is so annoying.
So listen to me, soda
I'm pretty sure I usually do. Or at least try to.

Boken

Banned
It's doing too much because they fixed it? How's that work? What'd they do?

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=27328843#post27328843
and
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?p=27334810#27334810

Basically, Rumble Q had 6 discrete ticks for 3 seconds. The "cone" would fire 6 times and deal damage at that set point in time, depending on how Rumble was facing. So it was acting more like some kind of pulse attack. Anyway, because of the discrete pulses, it was pretty easy to miss ticks.

Xypherous added more ticks and "tweening logic" which just adds interpolation between the "keyframes" (the ticks). The result is that the damage matches the fire graphic more closely - which is continuous in nature. Due to the continuous nature, you can actually increase the angle of the fire and you're much more likely to hit people while moving.

tl;dr - Rumble Q damage ticks actually matches fire particle now and thus does more damage because you're more likely to hit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom