• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT2| So free, it's only 8000 USD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JesseZao

Rumble finally making some noise it seems. Doesn't really sound like a nerf the way they explain it. Just a fix since it's more consistent now. Nerf or not, he's still really fun to play.

Blizzard

Banned
But he is not wrong.

Avoid learning banned champions is a stupid idea. Those are the champions you want to play as and face against. This is why I largely stuck with normal blind, even when they introduced draft.

He is under this notion that he will be able to climb up this hole some 90 champions deep, full rune pages, and thousands of hours of experience. And his method is to basically pick underpowered champions that most don't ban, aka don't play. Its inane.

Outside of the ban meta-game. Lets just talk about how important that is too.
You are first pick, and you don't have Rumble. Current Flavor of the month lets say. You have to ban it or risk the other team getting it. Your first banned is first while the other team can be more selective and personal to their team's choosing. You have it, but can't play it, but you have the best Rumble player in the world with your 3rd teammate. Pick him. You can pass him down. This would either force the other team to choose between him and maybe Ahri. So you still could get a dominate player. This happens many times with like tanks. There maybe 3 top tier ones and two get banned and you have to choose between the most powerful AD carry and most powerful tank. They will get one or the other.

Games are won and lost at banning and this is just a few quick ideas on it. I could probably come up with pages of examples from my games where bans played an important factor. And just downplaying it by saying, I'll just pick non-banned champions, already puts your team at a disadvantage.
I think the big thing with soda is that, unless he has a super high ELO alt account/normal ELO, he gives a ton of advice out and yet he's under 1200. Some/most of it he may be joking, but I think it comes across a bit grating sometimes. I mean, I'm terrible and it's not like I tell everyone what to do and complain all the time (ok yes I do and I'm sorry about that).

Regarding the Rumble situation, maybe that's true of high elo or tournament play, but for 1200/average/low/whatever situations, I strongly feel that someone who is consistently good at some champions has a better chance of winning than someone who is mediocre at even more champions, including flavors of the month etc. Say you know Rumble is flavor of the month -- if there are any champions who can counter him, or if your best champions can at least reasonably play against him, you can focus on those. This can might work out better for some people (understanding basics of how Rumble works without maining him themselves) who are time-limited, since they don't have to spend a bunch longer becoming good at certain often-banned champions. In my opinion with 6 bans, there is quite a good chance that someone you are good at will not be banned, as long as you're decent/good with 2-3 champions in each role.

I guess you could play a bunch of normal blind pick to practice a certain always-banned champion but I can certainly understand why someone wouldn't want to take the time to do it.

the nerf is incoming, it hasn't happened yet
All this talk was making me kind of want to learn Rumble, but this makes me hesitate. Did Riot directly say they were planning a nerf? Is there any hint at how big or what kind?

Blizzard

Banned
I PM'd since I'd rather not fill the thread with that. I just ask that he be a little more polite in his suggestions and comments. He may have a pro alt account or something; I really have no idea.

Speaking of pros, I went to check out Scarra's stream for Zyra, but he's doing Katarina instead. He's getting destroyed in farm by Twisted Fate though. I didn't realize TF was such a strong farmer. Interesting game.

scy

I think the big thing with soda is that, unless he has a super high ELO alt account/normal ELO, he gives a ton of advice out and yet he's under 1200. Some/most of it he may be joking, but I think it comes across a bit grating sometimes. I mean, I'm terrible and it's not like I tell everyone what to do and complain all the time (ok yes I do and I'm sorry about that).

I was honestly planning to avoid partaking in this thread until I got to a decent ELO just so it'd be more ... "credible", I guess? Ultimately it shouldn't matter as long as it's actually good advice but eh.

I guess you could play a bunch of normal blind pick to practice a certain always-banned champion but I can certainly understand why someone wouldn't want to take the time to do it.

To explain it a lot more, I was under the assumption that I'd deal with bans a lot more and I was planning on hoarding my IP for runes so my first few champs that I bought had to be things that were solid champs but were rare bans otherwise they'd be useless in certain scenarios. This was why my first few champs were things like Riven, Vlad, Shyvana, etc. Good champs that I could count on typically not being banned out. Of course, bans aren't actually the normal procedure of things so it didn't matter at all.

Now and looking back? Pretty much an irrelevant decision. I don't defend the idea itself. There's no reason to not have access to more champions. I only took offense to basically being called stupid for it when all I basically meant was "Don't learn just champs that get banned commonly."

Speaking of pros, I went to check out Scarra's stream for Zyra, but he's doing Katarina instead. He's getting destroyed in farm by Twisted Fate though. I didn't realize TF was such a strong farmer. Interesting game.

It's mostly that Katarina isn't super good early game. If I remember that game right, the TF zoned him fairly well and put proper pressure down while scarra got no jungle support. He's on a Zyra game right now though!

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
I find all AP mids boring for some reason. Can't watch them being played.

That's why I only play AP with boobs.

How do I play Irelia?

I tried her once out in SR and couldn't get her at ALL.

Tried her again in Dom just now, and golly she's fun.

Max w first if you can win the lane, auto attack to victory when W is up.
Max E first if you know you will lose trade (renek, lee, shy, every popular top), E and run away when they try to trade with you.

In lane try not to waste Q, save it when they are running away. If you didn't get any kill, and got deny, double gp5 into triforce(get sheen last) or wit's end.

If you managed to farm well, didn't feed, other lane didn't throw, you won the game grats.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Good advice is good advice regardless of who it's coming from. Saying you need high ELO for your opinion to matter is just downright silly.

Edit - What's going on in here? Guys need to be supportive of each other, not this calling out bullshit.

Word.

That's why I only play AP with boobs.

Max w first if you can win the lane, auto attack to victory when W is up.
Max E first if you know you will lose trade (renek, lee, shy, every popular top), E and run away when they try to trade with you.

In lane try not to waste Q, save it when they are running away. If you didn't get any kill, and got deny, double gp5 into triforce(get sheen last) or wit's end.

If you managed to farm well, didn't feed, other lane didn't throw, you won the game grats.

Thanks, Kiunch!

But, she's countered by every popular top?

I feel like I'm counterpicked every time. :(

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Buy more skins.

This is the secret to getting sub 1000 ELO like me.

I'm too poor to buy anymore skins, play DayZ with me :D.

According to Kiunch I just need to play support to gain ELO. But then I watch some of Achtilius' ranked games and I don't even want to start that grind. Normals are fine for me.

Ken

According to Kiunch I just need to play support to gain ELO. But then I watch some of Achtilius' ranked games and I don't even want to start that grind. Normals are fine for me.

I don't have ARMA.

The thing I like about ranked is the game keeps track of those stats so every time I play, it feels like I'm investing my time into something. Playing normals, I'm not really getting much tracked except for wins so it doesn't feel as...worth investing time into.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
It sounds like you could learn about League from a brick on top of a keyboard to be honest. There is not an ELO check to post in here or offer advice.

Yeah. But when you act like an ass all the time and flaunt your advice and words as gospel, it rubs people the wrong way. If you really want people to take you seriously then a shift in attitude would help. More along the positive lines. Honestly, even if you are right, I can't take any of your advice seriously because you sound like a condescending ass all the time.

Pancakes

I don't have ARMA.

The thing I like about ranked is the game keeps track of those stats so every time I play, it feels like I'm investing my time into something. Playing normals, I'm not really getting much tracked except for wins so it doesn't feel as...worth investing time into.

I can understand that and I too would like to see my most played champs and win percentages with each. But the horror stories about trolls and tryhards are just far too much of a deterrent. I can enjoy normals because I know there is nothing really on the line. That and I don't want to end up like:

http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/x2akv/elo_made_my_friend_a_monster/

Volimar

If you DayZ record it and put it up on youtube. I love watching DayZ vids.

Pancakes

If you DayZ record it and put it up on youtube. I love watching DayZ vids.

If I do it will just be incoherent raging as me and friends fight off bandits and die horribly.

Ken

If I do it will just be incoherent raging as me and friends fight off bandits and die horribly.

League should have random bandit minions pop out from the jungle and attack lanes.

I wish there was a way to make UMS type games in LoL like there is in Starcraft.

scy

Good advice is good advice regardless of who it's coming from. Saying you need high ELO for your opinion to matter is just downright silly.

I have a strange complex about it.

I do mechanics works for games. I enjoy doing it. I have to understand every single underlying thing to a game. For competitive games, though, I always think I need some sort of validation for it :x

Yeah. But when you act like an ass all the time and flaunt your advice and words as gospel, it rubs people the wrong way. If you really want people to take you seriously then a shift in attitude would help. More along the positive lines. Honestly, even if you are right, I can't take any of your advice seriously because you sound like a condescending ass all the time.

All the worse if it's wrong too.

Samyy

How do I play Irelia?

I tried her once out in SR and couldn't get her at ALL.

Tried her again in Dom just now, and golly she's fun.

A tip that elevated my Irelia gameplay in lane, go q in on a minion near the enemy when the minion is low, so your q refreshes. E him and then hack away with w then q away. Usually easy trades. This isn't always possible but its your best trade you can usually get. Also, the extra blade surge damage is nice even if there is no minion to surge to.

She can do well against kennen, vlad. Buy 2 null-magic mantles first back. One builds into MR shoes and the other a wits end.

Also you can win those lanes by getting just one kill early. Coordinate with your jungle to try to set something up. Once Irelia gets ahead, its beautiful. She can carry-mode like not many other tops, except perhaps riven.

Boken

Banned
But that's what I do
I PM'd since I'd rather not fill the thread with that. I just ask that he be a little more polite in his suggestions and comments. He may have a pro alt account or something; I really have no idea.
Haha oh shit, hit him again, summons! 1v1 him, Riven vs Rumble.
Uh the guy can clear ranged minions with Q+W early game, has mana regen mechanic, can one shot ranged creeps with enough AP. Sounds like a strong farmer.

You DO whine/complain too much. Especially don't complain at randoms because you don't do it constructively, it'll just make them feel negative.
comparing elo is worst than comparing e-penis.
Suck my elo
League should have random bandit minions pop out from the jungle and attack lanes.

I wish there was a way to make UMS type games in LoL like there is in Starcraft.
We already have those, they're called bastard junglers.
Not enough rp, need to wait for sale. Spent my last penny on walking dead
You paid 4 Teemos for walking dead. Teemos are now a currency.

scy

Jayce is way too powerful, I smell heavy nerf coming to his way.

What makes him so powerful? He's a nuisance with his pokes and speed gate but he's not unstoppable.

He's solid but nothing ridiculous. His burst hurts but it requires a skillshot and then all of his cooldowns. He's benefited a bit by it being split damage that both scale with just AD but it's still not massive, repeatable burst. He has relatively low damage when he's not using his full combo.

His E -> Q skillshot poke hurts though. 392 + 1.68AD and it's easy to land due to the speed (or you can Q -> E it if you want to be tricky, I guess).

1600 ELO and dreams man. Dreams.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com

Just keep playing the same champion over and over again, and try it out for 10 games. I don't think ach did any solo ranked game recently. Ranked is just normal game with more stakes, who know, you might get lucky and come back out with 1600.

comparing elo is worst than comparing e-penis.

Don't be jelly

Nooo, keep arguing here in public, for science. What else going entertain me at work.

-------------

I just had a very entertaining idea that will further reinforce our tight and loving community.

A friend and enemy chart of all LOLGAF!

Example of such greatness:
EmZpF.jpg

Someone get to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom