• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT2| So free, it's only 8000 USD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

garath

So I consider myself pretty competent with a variety of champions. I have my better ones and worse ones but for some silly reason, I keep wanting to play my absolute worst ones.

Like Katarina. For some reason I am just terrible at her. I've had 10 or so games with her now and I just know I'm not playing her right lol. But I keep trying. It's killing my ability to generate wins dammit!

Blizzard help me!! :p Educate me in the ways of Katarina.

I think my biggest problem right now is I'm not securing the early kills. Maybe I need to gank a lane earlier or maybe I'm not doing something right to get the lane kill (I rarely get a kill in lane early. Compared to someone like LeBlanc where I can pretty much kill on demand).

Then I hit midgame with either just finishing gunblade or sometimes not even finishing it and I do squat for damage and get focused.

Lol sigh. I should just stick to my good champs and get back to winning.

scy

Scene is solo queue. OUR DARIUS is feeding.

OUR DARIUS: "I dont't understand how I'm losing this lane to this sion"
ME: "You bought GP10 items so you are extremely weak"
OUR DARIUS: "Watch some streams noob all tops buy GP10s"

OUR DARIUS contiues feeding.

FIN.

A case of not understanding why people make certain decisions. If you "learn" something from a stream and can't explain the reasoning, you didn't learn anything.

Also, how do you lose in lane to a Sion. Maybe I need to watch the streams he speaks of so I can figure that one out.

I've found most of the Darius's I've been playing with lately have actually been very good. He is a beast in a teamfight. Build him a little tanky and he just ults anyone who gets low.

He's a beast at kill stealing with that ult :x

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Scene is solo queue. OUR DARIUS is feeding.

OUR DARIUS: "I dont't understand how I'm losing this lane to this sion"
ME: "You bought GP10 items so you are extremely weak"
OUR DARIUS: "Watch some streams noob all tops buy GP10s"

OUR DARIUS contiues feeding.

FIN.

This person is not watching the right streams or not listening to the commentary. Lol.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Some games you just can't carry.

M4mfb.png

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
That lux has double Rabadon's. :eek:

Doesn't help when you get caught by every single Blitz hook possible.

Well duh you weren't playing a carry.

More seriously it looks like you guys fell into the classic trap of letting the game go too long.

Yea I know but I actually felt like I was playing decent, warding appropriately, keeping GP alive as long as possible since Varus was basically insta gibbed in every teamfight.

garath

Bought Ahri, played a couple matches, didn't do terrible nor great, but her ult's awesome. Need to understand her combo, if she has one (ult in->E->Q->W->ult out?).

That's pretty much it. Can also lead with E and immediately follow it with a Q. If you get them low and they start running, ult in and W for the kill and ult out again.

She's versatile. With flash and ult up, she has a ton of escapes.

Doesn't help when you get caught by every single Blitz hook possible.

Yea I know but I actually felt like I was playing decent, warding appropriately, keeping GP alive as long as possible since Varus was basically insta gibbed in every teamfight.

From the looks of it, it was a baron or a teamfight that could have swayed the match either way. Just lost one too many team fights.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Your GP isn't going to do anything with that build except survive. This is why people don't pick Sona really. Your Varus is an extremely low mobility carry and your team doesn't really have a lot going on to protect him. He probably messed up his positioning though.

kayos90

Zyra looks very underwhelming and I feel like she's one of those... utility based AP rather than simple burst. Anyone have opinions on Zyra?

zkylon

zkylewd
That's pretty much it. Can also lead with E and immediately follow it with a Q. If you get them low and they start running, ult in and W for the kill and ult out again.

I also find that she has the most mana problems of all my AP champions and I can't quite make out how much damage her ult actually does, but I guess that comes with practice.

scy

Zyra looks very underwhelming and I feel like she's one of those... utility based AP rather than simple burst. Anyone have opinions on Zyra?

PBE reports are all over the place so who knows. I was hoping to try her out myself after work but looks like I might have to wait until tomorrow :(

Pancakes

From the looks of it, it was a baron or a teamfight that could have swayed the match either way. Just lost one too many team fights.

It was. We were starting to come back when Lux gets hooked right by Baron pit forcing us to engage a 5v4 and basically throw the game.

Your GP isn't going to do anything with that build except survive. This is why people don't pick Sona really. Your Varus is an extremely low mobility carry and your team doesn't really have a lot going on to protect him. He probably messed up his positioning though.

He allowed for Draven to get very fed but it okay since Draven wasn't great either. But Varus was just always farming bot instead of sticking with his team so he would always come late and end up getting mopped out quickly while GP and I try to clean up their team.

I don't really see how playing a different support would've helped honestly, perhaps we would've won 1 extra teamfight but WW and our carry were just too far behind.

She's going to be evil in aram if you're a fan of that mode.

I really want matched ARAM :(.

scy

Most informative streams, really. And he doesn't behave like a child when streaming. Most the regular streamers are uninformative most of the time and I tend to hate the way they carry themselves on stream. But background noise is background noise, I guess.

Edit: Of course, I play primarily top so that helps too.

Blizzard

Banned
So I consider myself pretty competent with a variety of champions. I have my better ones and worse ones but for some silly reason, I keep wanting to play my absolute worst ones.

Like Katarina. For some reason I am just terrible at her. I've had 10 or so games with her now and I just know I'm not playing her right lol. But I keep trying. It's killing my ability to generate wins dammit!

Blizzard help me!! :p Educate me in the ways of Katarina.

I think my biggest problem right now is I'm not securing the early kills. Maybe I need to gank a lane earlier or maybe I'm not doing something right to get the lane kill (I rarely get a kill in lane early. Compared to someone like LeBlanc where I can pretty much kill on demand).

Then I hit midgame with either just finishing gunblade or sometimes not even finishing it and I do squat for damage and get focused.

Lol sigh. I should just stick to my good champs and get back to winning.
I don't know. I started doing terrible with even my best characters, and I need to play less because I have so much real life crap to do. I think I did really badly with Katarina in 2-3 games right after the 2 good games (including that 20-stack mejais one).

Normally I go movespeed quints (some like AP), armor/magic resist, and I think...AP reds? AP or magic pen, I really forget. 21/9/0 masteries probably, focusing on the magic stuff. I always start boots and potions, then try to last long enough to buy the 1200 gold green gun. After that, keep farming for sorc shoes (or merc treads if you're getting owned by magic and CC), gunblade, and other stuff. Once you get gunblade you can do other items depending on the situation.

Ideally you try to avoid taking damage as much as possible until level 6, and then it heavily depends on who you are laning against and how good/bad they are. Unless I am getting slaughtered, I like trying to build gunblade and deathfire grasp as first items, since you can combo with deathfire -> gunblade -> W -> E -> R -> ignite -> Q if they are almost dead and escaping your ult range. Or W -> Q -> E -> R if you're not as afraid of dying and have time to do it.

Other good options after gunblade are rylais (makes you tankier, helps the ult last longer if you're not getting CC-cancelled), abyssal scepeter (probably good if other team has 2+ major AP damage champions), hourglass (good if you need armor, gives you a chance to survive until shunpo comes up to escape).

Also try to carry at least one extra ward if you have money for ward -> shunpo escapes.

SET QWE TO SMARTCAST. This may have been one of the biggest things that helped me with Katarina, and now I just use it on everyone. You need to react quickly to things, and be ready to jump to a friendly/enemy minion to dodge ganks and skillshots.

brian!

When I watch scrims or whatever he is like the king of blaming random shit for his mistakes. I remember this one game where he was like jizzing himself because he had so much dps from a bloodthirster and nunu W or whatever, he just is kind of a grating guy. But he also constantly gets left in the dust because him and Unstoppable have bad communication.

Aphro and Nhat are both super chill, super professional, and had such fun synergy to watch.

Wing's stream definitely had a lot of talking, but I probably learn more from watching Dyrus (just cause im not like following his brain when he makes decisions...Wings will explain a move and it will be a bad move, blame something else, and his stream will be like duuuude come on).

But EVO was definitely my favorite team :(

scy

Aphro and Nhat are both super chill, super professional, and had such fun synergy to watch.

I must have been watching at the worst times or something. Every time I watched theirs, it was both of them acting like children so I just stopped watching them.

Wing's stream definitely had a lot of talking, but I probably learn more from watching Dyrus (just cause im not like following his brain when he makes decisions...Wings will explain a move and it will be a bad move, blame something else, and his stream will be like duuuude come on).

Dyrus doesn't explain much and makes bad calls too, just without announcing a bad call.

But, I tend to "watch" streams by having them in the background rather than "watching" them. So, for that, Wings gets a lot more across by explaining rationale and that's something I like working with more than "Oh, that was a nice play I just saw." I've been watching Oddone and Dyrus a lot recently just because they're always on but I don't feel either that useful for learning things.

As far as scrims go, I don't think I've seen many Evo scrims so I can't comment. He can't be more annoying than Reginald. That's just not even possible.

kayos90

I must have been watching at the worst times or something. Every time I watched theirs, it was both of them acting like children so I just stopped watching them.

Dyrus doesn't explain much and makes bad calls too, just without announcing a bad call.

But, I tend to "watch" streams by having them in the background rather than "watching" them. So, for that, Wings gets a lot more across by explaining rationale and that's something I like working with more than "Oh, that was a nice play I just saw." I've been watching Oddone and Dyrus a lot recently just because they're always on but I don't feel either that useful for learning things.

As far as scrims go, I don't think I've seen many Evo scrims so I can't comment. He can't be more annoying than Reginald. That's just not even possible.

Should be watching General OddOne dude.

kayos90

That's Master Tactician Azingy.

He got demoted by OddBro. Lol. Honestly, just listening to TheOddOne talk is hilarious. Good commentary when he is in a good mood and stuff. Not only that but he actually says smart stuff that helps players.

zkylon

zkylewd
What's a good Ahri build?

I'm doing Sorc's Boots, rush Rabbadon, buy the 430HP belt and Hextech revolver, and eventually build those into Rylai's and WotA, but I'm not sure. I might trade Rylai's for an Athene's...

kayos90

I'm doing Sorc's Boots, rush Rabbadon, buy the 430HP belt and Hextech revolver, and eventually build those into Rylai's and WotA, but I'm not sure. I might trade Rylai's for an Athene's...

It's much better for Ahri to get boots+3pots. Then build into two Doran's unless you can instantly buy a Blasting Wand but even then two Doran's is really good for Ahri. Then you have the option of going Rylai's or revolver. Honestly I like Rylai's better because it's really good for utility, survivability, and damage. I save Rab for 2nd major item or 3rd. Sorc or mercs depending on enemy CC.

scy

Should be watching General OddOne dude.

I do watch him. And he has bouts of useful information. It's just not the norm from him. I don't find his antics entertaining, mostly annoying. When he's being level headed and in a serious playing mood, he's far more "entertaining" to me. He's generally the one I have on all the time barring this recent Dyrus top marathon (which hasn't been nearly as informative as I was hoping).

But I wager more people find OddOne's outbursts to be the more entertaining part of him. Which is unfortunate for me :(

yeah we probably just have different things we like from streams

Probably :x A shame that it sounds like I missed out on some good stuff for Nhat/Aphro stream though. Maybe I should've tried more often.

garath

For Ahri I typically start a couple doran's rings if I'm laning well and getting good cs. If I'm getting harassed too much or lots of enemy jungler activity, I'll go with a hextech revolver for the extra sustain. From there I usually go sorc shoes then either Rylai's or Abyssal scepter into Rabadon's. I will sometimes finish the hextech into Will of the Ancients if there's more AP on the team.

I rarely rush Rabadon's. Only if I'm ahead by a lot. With the true damage, Ahri does pretty good damage without the extra AP (if I recall her ratios are pretty low to boot) and the tankiness + slows of Rylai's help a lot.

Situational I'll build a Zyona's after Rylai or Abyssal.

Another item I see frequently on her (but I don't build) is a Death Fire Grasp. She's an assassin so it helps burn down a target.

I can't think of a situation I'd build an Athene's.

edit: I wish Scarra would stream more. He is the number 1 most informative streamer. He has a constant commentary on the gameplay and never rages. He's like a model top 10 player. I love Aphro's stream because he's either hilarious or actually laying down some good commentary on a role I can still learn so much about. The only other streamer I watch regularly is Ocelote. He usually has some good music and is just really entertaining to listen to while I'm working.

MrKayle

gave up on kayle support and getting back into playing soraka ranked... going well but yesterday TWICE during the draft she's banned by my own team, and i lose playing roles that i have no runes for or experience in. sometimes i wish this game allowed you to queue for a lane or playtype :p

kayos90

Honestly, endgame Ahri will look something along the lines of Boots, Rab, Void Staff, WOTA, Rylai's, and either Zhonya's or Abyssal.

scy

(if I recall her ratios are pretty low to boot)

33%/40%/35%/35%, though some of those are misleading since her Q hits twice, W can hit three times (though reduced after the first), and the ultimate can hit three times on a single target as well so "technically" those are 66%/80%/35%/105% for a single-target.

Blizzard

Banned
gave up on kayle support and getting back into playing soraka ranked... going well but yesterday TWICE during the draft she's banned by my own team, and i lose playing roles that i have no runes for or experience in. sometimes i wish this game allowed you to queue for a lane or playtype :p
MrKAYLE playing Kayle!

I don't mean to be rude, but you might want to stick to normal draft until you become comfortable with at least 2-3 roles, since solo ranked basically means you could have to play anything.

scy

MrKAYLE playing Kayle!

I don't mean to be rude, but you might want to stick to normal draft until you become comfortable with at least 2-3 roles, since solo ranked basically means you could have to play anything.

This is honestly why I'm not even going to bother learning any of the super common bans (e.g., Soraka, Shen, Twisted Fate) until after I have at least 2-3 champs per role first.

zkylon

zkylewd
Thanks for the Ahri ideas. I usually rush Sorc's Boots and then Rab's with every AP carry simply because I don't really notice the damage increase on other items as much as I do with those two. Athene is pretty much because I love it on Lux and with Ahri I feel like I'm on cooldown way more often than I should, and mana problems, etc. Again, this is bound to change as/if I get better with her.

ranktemo.png

apparently I need to carry myself =/
Ranked: (Unranked)? (I get the feeling this is a noob question)

kayos90

Thanks for the Ahri ideas. I usually rush Sorc's Boots and then Rab's with every AP carry simply because I don't really notice the damage increase on other items as much as I do with those two. Athene is pretty much because I love it on Lux and with Ahri I feel like I'm on cooldown way more often than I should, and mana problems, etc. Again, this is bound to change as/if I get better with her.

That is definitely unranked unless he was being placed. No elo.

Achtius

still below 1200 :D

aka I have lower elo than blizzard.. :p

edit: oh, it's my first game not playing support in rank..

and the 2 of my other loses are cuz I d/c (screwed up bind's elo in the process :D)

y2dvd

I never have a problem managing Ahri's mana so I'd just get straight AP and some health along the way if I have a hard time sustaining. A few rings and rylai usually are good core items.

garath

Hmm, if you're rushing sorc shoes then that also explains some of your mana problems. For your typical mana based AP carry (with some exceptions) try backing for the first time when you can afford 2 doran's rings and a ward. The doran's rings will give you more health, mana regen and cheap AP. Your next back should be sorc shoes and start your first "big" item. Doran's rings aren't just about damage - they give sustain in the form of health and mana regen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom