• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends |OT2| So free, it's only 8000 USD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opiate

Whatever the reasoning, TSM were absolutely crushed by Blaze.

The narrative can be spun so many ways, from microanalysis (e.g. Ashe positioning, Dyrus missing his poison trail) to macroanalysis (e.g. Koreans take the game more seriously as a job). Whatever the variables in play are, it is very clear that Korea is rising rapidly.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

The narrative can be spun so many ways, from microanalysis (e.g. Ashe positioning, Dyrus missing his poison trail) to macroanalysis (e.g. Koreans take the game more seriously as a job). Whatever the variables in play are, it is very clear that Korea is rising rapidly.

Yup. I can settle with this. It's sort of surprising how good they have gotten considering the game was recently released over there.

EDIT: Wow.... Reaper saying "Best Solo Top in the World." What a call. lol.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Korea has just always been better (look at Starcraft and the recent EVO tournament). TSM is going to have to go TO Korea and learn from them if they hope to ever stand a chance in the global scene. They will still probably continue to dominate the NA scene but this has put them on notice.

kayos90

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world

There are only like two Korean teams anyone should be scared of. This will probably be M5 all over again where there's a meta shift and playstyle that launches a team to success before everyone gets their number.

Blaze lost a lot of team fights they shouldn't have with massive gold leads. It was embarrassing. Hopefully this is a wakeup call for TSM. They were incredibly lax on their practice schedule and took an extensive vacation that really hurt them as a team. They also didn't run their old winning comps once.
Korea has just always been better (look at Starcraft and the recent EVO tournament). TSM is going to have to go TO Korea and learn from them if they hope to ever stand a chance in the global scene. They will still probably continue to dominate the NA scene but this has put them on notice.
There are not enough laughing .gifs for me to post in response to this.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
There are not enough laughing .gifs for me to post in response to this.

Laugh all you like. Foreigners can pretend that they can match Korea while staying on their own home turf. It will turn into the new brood war, where the foreign scene was basically considered amateur hour.

Yup. I definitely agree. On that note, I found this article sort of insulting...

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2012/08/tech/gaming.series/korea.html?hpt=hp_c1

The article is actually pretty decent even with it's errors. It gets better towards the end when they start accepting MKP's pro-gaming lifestyle. That said, CNN's audience isn't us. It's the parents and older folk who don't quite understand E-sports.

Perhaps, but Blaze won 10 games and lost 1 out of the whole tournament, so I think they deserve credit for consistency.

oh I agree with you in that regard. Im just saying is in response to first and a half game and the redo game, the difference in team comp strength was very obvious

kayos90

Laugh all you like. Foreigners can pretend that they can match Korea while staying on their own home turf. It will turn into the new brood war, where the foreign scene was basically considered amateur hour.

The article is actually pretty decent even with it's errors. It gets better towards the end when they start accepting MKP's pro-gaming lifestyle. That said, CNN's audience isn't us. It's the parents and older folk who don't quite understand E-sports.

I think my problem is with the angle and slant on the article doesn't do the pro-gamer life justice. Sure I think it would be an excellent article if it encompasses those of gamers in general but it tailors to the idea of pro-gamers and goes with a slant that's really meh... I could be wrong but I JUST took an article writing class and this kind of stuff would be considered somewhat misleading and possibly dishonest in the general scope of things.

dimb

One single Korean team won a minor tournament running off an atypical format where most major teams weren't present. It is laughable to even toy with the idea that the nation has any control over the scene. Should people watch out for Blaze? Absolutely. Should people go "train" in Korea? Of course not. CLG spent more time scrimming each other there than Korean teams.

kayos90

One single Korean team won a minor tournament running off an atypical format where most major teams weren't present. It is laughable to even toy with the idea that the nation has any control over the scene. Should people watch out for Blaze? Absolutely. Should people go "train" in Korea? Of course not. CLG spent more time scrimming each other there than Korean teams.

Uh... it's not just Azubu Blaze. Nearly all the Korean teams outclass the foreign teams easily. Have you seen OGN? With the advent of LoL and SCII, Korea has proven themselves to be the mecca of E-Sports as well as one of the leading countries in developing and delivering high-class pro-gamers. Anyone who thinks otherwise, I believe is doing a great disservice by not recognizing the potential and power of the country.

Pancakes

The one single Korean team didn't just win this tournament. They downright embarrassed the foreigner teams present here. Would M5/CLG/TeamXYZ given them a better fight? Maybe. Who can say? But they would not have defeated Blaze. Hell, CLG's jungler picked up Skarner because their team got facerolled by him so hard over in Korea. There is so much you can learn from the Korean playstyle, without them we would be stuck with the boring, passive, farming style that NA and EU teams were employing.

You don't have to go to Korea if you're okay with winning foreigner only tournaments, that's how SC2 started out. But once Koreans started getting sponsored and flown over here to the states? All your prize money will belong to them.

kayos90

The one single Korean team didn't just win this tournament. They downright embarrassed the foreigner teams present here. Would M5/CLG/TeamXYZ given them a better fight? Maybe. Who can say? But they would not have defeated Blaze. Hell, CLG's jungler picked up Skarner because their team got facerolled by him so hard over in Korea. There is so much you can learn from the Korean playstyle, without them we would be stuck with the boring, passive, farming style that NA and EU teams were employing.

I agree with this statement wholeheartedly.

You don't have to go to Korea if you're okay with winning foreigner only tournaments, that's how SC2 started out. But once Koreans started getting sponsored and flown over here to the states? All your prize money will belong to them.

You both have good points.

Ken

Thats a tough call considering that her lane opponents first big item is a frozen heart. Not saying your wrong but it's certainly not a good situation to be in as the ad carry.

I'm talking about the Ashe in my game who bought a Pick Axe and Zeal before a B.F. Sword.

Pancakes

Last exam tomorrow and then I get to play League my summer steam games nonstop :D.

Ferga

Not like it matters since come the 25th LoLGAF will die and move on to GW2.

I've been here for at least 3-4 cycles of LOLgaf and I still won't quit it when gw2 comes out!

I need to come back to avoid elo decay D:
Want that gold prize!

And TSM probably lost because Chaox had terrible positioning in the last 2 games in the finals. He would run up and die, doing little to no damage. Disappointing.

dimb

The one single Korean team didn't just win this tournament. They downright embarrassed the foreigner teams present here.
First of all, it was known from the start that TSM might as well have been the only team to show up. This Arena event was a joke as far as attendance goes, and judging the scene from this event is beyond foolish. That is why jumping to conclusions based on this event is a terrible idea.

Blaze didn't even completely crush. There was a number of close games that they barely eked out a win, and they lost to Curse of all people, who couldn't even handle TSM while they were half trolling. Show me Korean teams posting results at real tournaments and we'll have something.
Hell, CLG's jungler picked up Skarner because their team got facerolled by him so hard over in Korea.
Skarner is run by certain players. It's not like Korea invented Skarner jungle, in fact most of the Korean League scene is simply piggybacking off of Chinese strategies.
There is so much you can learn from the Korean playstyle, without them we would be stuck with the boring, passive, farming style that NA and EU teams were employing.
I don't know how I can even take you seriously if you're just going to distort the truth to blow Korea up as big as possible. The "Korean playstyle" of OGN games often has fewer kills and deaths. It's very passive and boring because they try to isolate 2v1 scenarios versus the top laner, shutting him out rather than focusing on potential action between champions on an equal footing. It is extremely common to see OGN games with very few kills and little aggression, and there's little room for variance in the way games play out.
League of Legends is not Starcraft 2. Name one team based competitive video game that Koreans dominate at? None? Okay. Your needless infatuation with the country is extremely obnoxious. Korea is not at all a leader for League, and the game only recently released there. China has controlled the Asian scene, and even with the countries lengthy Dota heritage the numbers Asia put up in tournaments during Season One were unimpressive. Maybe things will be different in the future, but the gross inflation of some imaginary "l33t Korean" skills that are taking over League is a concocted world that only exists in your imagination.

zkylon

zkylewd
Someone point me to a good Sona build.
I build Philo, HoG, Mobility Boots (but normal people should prolly buy Ionian's), Aegis, Shurelya's, Zeke's and a billion wards+oracle's. Aka, most generic support build evar.

Alos, Sona's got a mean harass with Q+power cord if you have 9 mpen reds.

EXGN

You're extrapolating a whole hell of a lot from one invitational win. I believe CGL.EU is currently 3/0 at OGN and pretty handily beat WE (who actually recently beat Blaze in an OGN match). Taipei Assassins also got embarrassed at the GG Chronicle tournament like two weeks ago. I think it's safe to say that Asia, just like Europe and NA, has its fair share of really strong teams and weaker ones.

In this case, I'd say it's more Blaze being just a really strong team rather than representative of the country as a whole.

EXGN

yOGU6.png

Support Nunu OP! Helped Shy get first blood by warding red, consuming it before Jarvan could smite it and throwing my balls into his face. Can't escape the Yeti balls!

Feels bad man. We managed to shut Tryn during laning phase, but he goes to other lanes to get food (teammates). Shaco split pushes the hell out of us. This is why I almost always take Teleport. I freaking hate split push, especially if it's Yi. :(

Alistar gloated so much about killing me right before they won. I guess he's really pleased after I ripped him through his ult many times.

1qPC1.jpg

Why isn't Tristana played more often? Best range after some levels, easy mode farming (that pushes lanes), two excellent escapes and a ridiculous steroid.

dimb

Why isn't Tristana played more often?
Trades poorly, very easy to miss your stomp by just a little or have it be dodged and lose trades or miss your escapes because of it. Her mid and early game are pretty weak in comparison to champs like Ez and Graves and she has to go all in to take advantage of the range on her E and W. Even her ultimate pushes people away, so unless they're backed against a wall you can't really use it to trade without taking a risk. Her kit just has very low synergy really. Oh yeah, and she autopushes lanes.

Blizzard

Banned
Why isn't Tristana played more often? Best range after some levels, easy mode farming (that pushes lanes), two excellent escapes and a ridiculous steroid.
One reason I've heard is that since she pushes lanes because of the splash, it can be hard to last hit, and/or your lane will get pushed too far. And that's presumably a bad thing unless you're Blaze, since you don't want to take a turret too early and you can get ganked from the river.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom